• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Guild 01 Crimson Shroud Details (Yasumi Matsuno) [Update: Screens]

Reveirg

Hmmm, as much as I love everything Matsuno does, the screens look weird. 3DS really isn't a great piece of hardware IMO...

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though, because I have never played a Matsuno game that wasn't fantastic.

duckroll

Now that I can see it more clearly, it seems you actually "roll" the die on the bottom screen yourself as well. You can either use the touchpen to roll the die or you press the A button and use the slidepad. He's really going for full interaction in the table RPG tradition.

Dascu

I'm liking the style, but the textures and character models look a tiny bit messy.

img_game03.jpg

What is it with Matsuno and Minotaurs?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This looks incredibly intriguing. I really hope there's a NA release of Guild 01, because as long as there isn't homebrew for 3DS, I won't be able to play JP region games. ;_;

duckroll

This looks incredibly intriguing. I really hope there's a NA release of Guild 01, because as long as there isn't homebrew for 3DS, I won't be able to play JP region games. ;_;

Matsuno doesn't seem particularly concerned based on his comments on twitter from time to time. Considering how the announcement trailer for Crimson Shroud was filled with English text which seems to be from the game itself (detailed description of the characters, enemies, locations, etc floating around as text in the background) and considering how he continues to stay in close contact with Alexander O Smith, I would imagine an English release is simply a matter of time. Level5 certainly knows of Matsuno's appeal outside of Japan too. They're not dumb.

Dascu

What about a PAL release?

And on that note, how's the 3DS's firmware on region-locks? Have they managed to crack it and make it region-free yet?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Matsuno doesn't seem particularly concerned based on his comments on twitter from time to time. Considering how the announcement trailer for Crimson Shroud was filled with English text which seems to be from the game itself (detailed description of the characters, enemies, locations, etc floating around as text in the background) and considering how he continues to stay in close contact with Alexander O Smith, I would imagine an English release is simply a matter of time. Level5 certainly knows of Matsuno's appeal outside of Japan too. They're not dumb.

I sure hope that's the case. the whole concept of a game that is a collection of games is great. Looking forward to it.

AB12

Looks nice, I wish it was also on the HD Twins or even the Wii U. Oh well, at least we are getting a promising game.

RedSwirl

How is this supposed to be more like a tabletop RPG? Video game RPGs are already descended from tabletop (well WRPGs anyway). The only standout thing I see here in that regard is that this game will explicitly show its dice rolls. Is this gonna have a DM or something?

eXistor

Honestly, without Matsuno attached, I probably wouldn't even bother with this even if it does sound fairly intersting. But this is Matsuno and he commands attention. Definitely keeping my eyes on this now. It's certainly something I've never played before and that gets some big props right there.

Chairhome

This looks great, hope it gets localized. I don't think I really know of any games that play like this.
please educate me

Zoe

For people who haven't clicked on the link to the other thread, this is a table-top game.

duckroll

How is this supposed to be more like a tabletop RPG? Video game RPGs are already descended from tabletop (well WRPGs anyway). The only standout thing I see here in that regard is that this game will explicitly show its dice rolls. Is this gonna have a DM or something?

All video game RPGs are descended from tabletop, not just WRPGs. Most JRPGs are descended from either DQ or FF, both of which draw direct inspiration from actual tabletop RPGs of the time along with games like Ultima which were inspired by tabletop RPGs. The other JRPGs which weren't influenced by DQ or FF were mostly Japanese PC RPGs back in the day which were inspired by tabletop RPGs as well. The entire genre of RPGs would not exist if not for stuff like D&D, and that's a fact.

As for how this game aims to be more like a tabletop experience, it appears that Matsuno is approaching that from both the presentation and the scope. This is not a large scale videogame RPG with huge production values and a huge complex quest. It is meant to be a compact campaign scenario. The game will have a GM, but I think that's simply a presentation aspect. So are all the graphics which represent the player/enemy pieces, and the map layout.

This does not look like the sort of RPG where you control a character and run around and so on. It looks more like a game where you interact with pieces on the map, which reading descriptions of events, and reading up descriptions of the characters, the enemies, the locations, etc, and then make decisions. The success and failure of your actions are determined by having to actually interact with a set of die when the GM calls for it.

Edit: Dudes, tabletop RPGs are NOT board games. Please educate yourselves. :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hope that despite the low budget/collection aspect there's a ton of content/replayability allowed by cutting corners in visuals etc.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
*looks at screens*
*reads*

Eee!

This looks right up my alley. Oh man, when will I be able to afford a 3DS ;.;

Top Bottom