• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Most Anticipated Games of 2017

1. Gravity Rush 2
2. Breath of the Wild.
3. Yooka Laylee
4. Danganronpa v3
5. Persona 5

Gravity Rush 2 gets the first place mostly due to proximity. I've already got a paid preorder from when tesco did that 2 for £70 offer for it and Breath of the wild, so yeah. Will be getting the wii u version though, I'm going to try and hold back on switch until I finish my stack of nearly unplayed Wii U games (which is something like 6 titles, I'd like to get that to near zero before I get a switch). Paid for yooka laylee in the kick starter too, and loved the toybox demo (thanks to a gaffer who kindly donated me a code), glad I went with ps4 and not Wii U though.

Danganronpa hasn't taken a wrong step for me yet, so v3 has my full attention. The same is true of P5, though my hype is a limited for that (until it's in my hands, anyway). Maybe the delay just left me bitter.

I considered making RE7 number 6, but I don't think I'm anticipating it that much. Which is damn stupid given I was sold on a PSVR by it at a playstation demo thing, and will probably buy it as soon as I finish my thesis, but hey.

1. Sonic Mania: Sort of a no-brainer for me. Sonic was my favorite franchise as a kid, and I've still held a soft spot for the franchise, even with the lows it suffered circa 2002-2006 - and especially a soft spot for the classic 2D titles with their momentum-based gameplay. So, hearing a new one is coming, and Taxman is behind the engine - considering how fond I was of not only his mobile ports, but his old Retro Sonic fangame back in the day? It's the most hyped I've been for a game's announcement in a long time. I'll admit the Drop Dash is kinda "eh" to me at the moment, but everything else has been on-point - crazily-smooth animations, fun little nods to other classic Sega franchises, a great soundtrack (even if the assertion that Studiopolis 1 and Mirage Saloon 2 sound very similar rings a bit true)... I just wish this thing had a physical release!
  2. Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy: Some of the best platformers on PS1 getting a fresh coat of paint? Yes please. Even better if this somehow spins off into a new game later down the line - but that's exceedingly hopeful thinking. (Though on the subject of exceedingly hopeful thinking, I'd love to see Spyro the Dragon get this same treatment - always preferred his games, to be honest.)
  3. Freedom Planet 2: The first game had to fill the niche for a momentum-based platformer that I'd needed filling before Mania was a thing, so naturally I'm interested in the sequel. Sounds like they're putting a lot more time into making everything flow better than before. Shorter levels, but more of them, so no more 20-minute marathon sessions just to clear a stage for the first time. Milla now gets a rapid-fire ranged attack instead of just a slow but powerful block toss. Carol gets Unreal Tournament's Translocator. Everyone gets blocking and parrying, and if they die, they can use a life to revive themselves on-the-spot if they didn't gib into feathers (think Shinobi III's Mijin Ninjutsu). Apparently it's a 2017 release, at least according to their website, so it counts?
  4. Yooka-Laylee: I'm all-too-eager to play a new Rareware (in spirit) 3D platformer, frankly. Banjo-Kazooie was ace, and while Tooie got a little too dependent on interconnectivity between its levels for my tastes, it still had plenty of fun on offer. So, yeah, bring this one on, please!
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Admittedly I'm not chomping at the bit for either a new open-world title or a new Zelda (feeling a bit burnt out on both things, for whatever reason, considering both are quite good), but hell, this still looks like it'll be fun.
Expansions don't count so I couldn't list this, but Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood would be super high up there (probably bumping down Crash below FP2, which I'd be keeping at #3 so it gets 3 points). Got into that game something fierce this year, so having fresh areas to explore and a sizable chunk of new main story content to sink my teeth into is gonna be sweet.

Aces&Eights

1. South Park Fractured But Whole
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
5. Mass Effect Andromeda

Turkoop

Banned
D3IxZ3D.jpg

1. Red Dead Redemption 2: Look at my Avatar.

XQ9oUYc.jpg

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn: I love RPG's, many devs changed the studio from CDPR to Guerilla and you can almost see how great the impact from rpg veteran devs are. Horizon looks, sounds and plays wonderful. The presentation I saw at Gamescom was nothing new but it looked so good and polished. I think this is the most important title for Guerilla, after a solid Killzone, they want to deliver a masterpiece, and I'm sure, they will!

lcmAx2r.jpg

3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy: WOMEN POWER! We love Chloe and the setting in India sounds really cool! I cant get enough of UC4/UC - deliver Naughty GODS.

bxgiTtJ.jpg

4. Star Wars Battlefront 2: YES, I really liked Battlefront, okay, there was no campaign, MP was casual and less content than other DICE titles but it was STUNNING, the atmosphere was fantastic and I hope DICE will deliver some interesting story, deep gameplay mechanics and interesting Multiplayer.

Yg3QWJr.jpg

5. Crash N-Sane Trilogy: The kid with the crazy eyebrows is back! And Jesus, this game looks so fun! Thank You Shawn for making this possible, price is great and 3 games remastered for my PS4 Pro are more than I expected!

wRE48MH.jpg

6. Shenmue III: I was never able to play Shenmue I & II, I was born to late for these games. But I hope Sega will remaster the old ones. But I've got infected by the Hype of this game and read many things of this franchise. I am very excited and Sony, pls support Yu!

bhX3Sk8.jpg

7. South Park: The Fractured But Whole or called in german: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe (wtf, Ubi?): I really loved the first one and now IT HAS A MAHVEL VS DC PARODY STORY, God this is so genius! Dont miss this Ubisoft.

5UhCeKx.jpg

8. Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice: After I saw the demos and footage I was blown away, I dont know how they achieved such great visuals. UE4 looks dope! I hope they will introduce us a interesting story with solid gameplay. I'm not expecting a big one, but a unforgettable Experience like Firewatch or Inside.

jeTNN19.jpg

9. Kingdom Come: Deliverance: I nominated this game also last year, but it has been delayed. I saw new footage at Gamescom and I really liked it. They extended the game by many gameplay mechanics and it looks sooooo stunning on PC! I also hope the console versions will be solid, this could be our next Witcher 3! No dragons, no fantasy but still interesting! and something new!

tD4iLQz.jpg

10. Outlast 2: Well, f*ck me. I hated to play Outlast but I loved the fucking atmosphere. Demo was fucking disturbing but in a good way! I cant wait and I hope they will experiment with VR!

Honorable mentions:
- Farpoint VR
- GT: Sport
- PREY
- Vampyr
- Yooka-Laylee

1. Sonic Mania: A return to form, hopefully
2. Nier Automata: Excited to play something from GOAT action dev with a decent budget again.

Qurupeke

1. Persona 5
2. Nier Automata
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn
6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
7. Resident Evil 7
8. Digimon World: Next Order

Persona 5 better win this.

I did this list under two assumptions:

1) I'm honestly not sure if Red Dead 2 comes out next year. I put it last only because of uncertainty, but I am looking forward to it.
2) I wish we knew for sure if Spider-Man, Days Gone, God of War, Dreams or Detroit: Become Human came out next year because some of them may have shuffled around my list, particularly the first two.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn

I've fallen in love with the world they've built, and the gameplay videos have all looked fantastic. I really hope this is the Guerrilla game that showcases their talents. I know many loved the look of Killzone: Shadow Fall but that there was a lot of disappointment in the game. This is a new IP, a beautiful looking game, a new kind of game for the developers, a unique setting, and gameplay that looks different. I'm not against shooters at all, but it's cool to see games that aren't, and I really hope this is as good as it looks.

2. Gravity Rush 2

This is a game, like Horizon: Zero Dawn, where the world has really impressed me in all its videos. The PS4 can simply do so much more than the Vita, and we're seeing the results between this and the first Gravity Rush. With the different gravity types and a world that's bigger but not so huge it feels like wasted space, this is up there for 2017.

3. Sonic Mania

2D Sonic done right is what this looks like. At first, it looked like a glorified remake when I saw the Green Hill footage, but then I saw corkscrews from Sonic 2, the fire shield from 3, the hidden golden rings from 3/Knuckles, the Act 1 bosses, and it seems like every Genesis Sonic put together.

4. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

I never finished 2 when I bought it as a PS1 classic, so I never bought 3 afterward. I remember Infamous: Second Son came out around the same time I put the "PS1 Classic" Crash Bandicoots, and I just never got back to it. Now I have an easy way to do that!

5. Nex Machina

Housemarque is a terrific developer. Resogun is still one of my favorite games on the PS4, a picture-perfect arcade shooter, addictive as hell, with four unique modes. Alienation was an addictive top-down shooter with cool weapons and great co-op. This is a no-brainer for me.

6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

I'm sure this will be great, but the other games are simply higher because they're new experiences (and in Gravity Rush 2's case, the first true PS4 Gravity Rush that really takes advantage of the system). That said..

I had no idea they were making DLC for Uncharted 4. Yeah, I would have loved to have seen Chloe in Uncharted 4, but I thought the game itself was great. It's cool to see her "PS4-ified," and I'm looking forward to seeing what crazy encounters and set pieces they put her in.

7. Ni no Kuni: Revenant Kingdom

Loved the first one, and I'm looking forward to the second. I loved Pokemon, and the first gave me something similar but with beautiful Miyazaki art and its own identity.

8. Nioh

Been casually looking at this. I love a good challenge, I've heard good things, and I like what it's trying to do with its graphics settings for console owners. I'm hoping for the best.

9. Mass Effect Andromeda

I was a huge fan of all three Mass Effect games. Taking the more refined gameplay of 3, improving it, bringing a more open-world environment with more planet exploration = don't mess this up!

10. Red Dead Redemption 2

I tried to put games that I thought had a great chance of coming out in 2017 and not get delayed. I really have no idea if this will be Holiday 2017 or if it'll slip in 2018. But if it's 2017, I'm down for my first current-gen Rockstar (excluding the GTA5 port)!

butman

1. Nier: Automata
2. Persona 5
3. Ni no Kuni: Revenant Kingdom
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. Crash Bandicoot: N-sane Trilogy
6. Gravity Rush 2
7. Red Dead Redemption 2
8. Cosmic Star Heroine

1. Persona 5
2. Nier Automata
3. Earth Defense Force 5
4. Yakuza 0
5. Nioh
6. Scalebound
7. Yakuza Kiwami

Can't think of anything else that I have enough interest in to put up there with these games. Should be a good year, though.

1. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
2. Nier Automata
3. Absolver
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
6. Mass Effect: Andromeda
7. Persona 5
8. Red Dead Redemption 2
9. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
10. WINDJAMMERS!! LETS GO!

Zedark

D3IxZ3D.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2: Look at my Avatar.

XQ9oUYc.jpg

Horizon: Zero Dawn: I love RPG's, many devs changed the studio from CDPR to Guerilla and you can almost see how great the impact from rpg veteran devs are. Horizon looks, sounds and plays wonderful. The presentation I saw at Gamescom was nothing new but it looked so good and polished. I think this is the most important title for Guerilla, after a solid Killzone, they want to deliver a masterpiece, and I'm sure, they will!

lcmAx2r.jpg

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy: WOMEN POWER! We love Chloe and the setting in India sounds really cool! I cant get enough of UC4/UC - deliver Naughty GODS.

bxgiTtJ.jpg

Star Wars Battlefront 2: YES, I really liked Battlefront, okay, there was no campaign, MP was casual and less content than other DICE titles but it was STUNNING, the atmosphere was fantastic and I hope DICE will deliver some interesting story, deep gameplay mechanics and interesting Multiplayer.

Yg3QWJr.jpg

Crash N-Sane Trilogy: The kid with the crazy eyebrows is back! And Jesus, this game looks so fun! Thank You Shawn for making this possible, price is great and 3 games remastered for my PS4 Pro are more than I expected!

wRE48MH.jpg

Shenmue III: I was never able to play Shenmue I & II, I was born to late for these games. But I hope Sega will remaster the old ones. But I've got infected by the Hype of this game and read many things of this franchise. I am very excited and Sony, pls support Yu!

bhX3Sk8.jpg

South Park: The Fractured But Whole or called in german: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe (wtf, Ubi?): I really loved the first one and now IT HAS A MAHVEL VS DC PARODY STORY, God this is so genius! Dont miss this Ubisoft.

5UhCeKx.jpg

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice: After I saw the demos and footage I was blown away, I dont know how they achieved such great visuals. UE4 looks dope! I hope they will introduce us a interesting story with solid gameplay. I'm not expecting a big one, but a unforgettable Experience like Firewatch or Inside.

jeTNN19.jpg

Kingdom Come: Deliverance: I nominated this game also last year, but it has been delayed. I saw new footage at Gamescom and I really liked it. They extended the game by many gameplay mechanics and it looks sooooo stunning on PC! I also hope the console versions will be solid, this could be our next Witcher 3! No dragons, no fantasy but still interesting! and something new!

tD4iLQz.jpg

Outlast 2: Well, f*ck me. I hated to play Outlast but I loved the fucking atmosphere. Demo was fucking disturbing but in a good way! I cant wait and I hope they will experiment with VR!

Honorable mentions:
- Farpoint VR
- GT: Sport
- PREY
- Vampyr
- Yooka-Laylee

You need to number them 1 to 10 if you want them to count towards the end result (just a heads up in case you do want to have them count towards the end result).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
3. Resident Evil 7
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Yooka-Laylee
6. Ni-Oh
7. Gravity Rush 2
8. Nier Automata
9. Cuphead
10. Vampyr

1. Persona 5: Even after all the delays, my hype for P5 is still going strong. Undoubtedly my most anticipated game even now.

2. Nier Automata: A miracle sequel. Everything we've seen from this shows it's going to be one hell of a ride. I want to hug whoever keeps giving Yoko Taro these opportunities. Pretty much tied with Gravity Rush 2.

3. Gravity Rush 2: Another miracle sequel made by a super passionate team that aims to fix all the nagging worries from the first game. The style, colors, controls, and characters all tell me this will be another fun gravity-defying ride. Pretty much tied with Nier Automata.

Agalloch

1: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2: Yooka-Laylee
3: Shenmue 3
4: Red Dead Redemption 2

Year of the Switch for me, hope they announce lot of good games.

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Persona 5
3. Nioh
4. Nier Automata
5. Red Dead Redemption 2
6. Horizon Zero Dawn
7. Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age
8. Mass Effect Andromeda

1. Horison zero dawn
2. Red dead redemption 2
3. Uncharted the lost legacy
4. South Park: the fractured but whole
5. Nioh
6. Mass effect Andromeda
7. Gravity rush 2
8. legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild
9. Persona 5

iMax

1. Crackdown 3
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
3. Prey
4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
9. Metal Gear Survive
10. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
1. Zelda Breath of the Wild: Environments and scenery that encourage exploration simply through their natural beauty, a great atmospheric art style that seems to capture both the impressionist vibe SS attempted and the stylized look of WW, the promise of a massive world with plenty of mystery and secrets just waiting to be found...and it's a new Zelda. That last part alone could justify its position at the top of this list, but this particular Zelda shows potential to actually make it into the ranks of OoT, LttP, MM and WW.

2. Mass Effect Andromeda: Another game with a promised strong focus on exploration, and another game that looks fantastic in terms of environments and scenery. The combat looks particularly fluid and diverse this time around, going beyond the cover-shooting formula to incorporate options for more offensive tactics. The new alien race that's been revealed doesn't look particularly exciting but I'm sure the devs of Mass Effect will not disappoint in the character depth department.

3. Spider-Man (Insomniac Games Project): We've seen very little of this one, but what we have seen looks to be an open-world type game with a very strong focus on movement, control and combat. Spider-Man's attacks and combat look to be reminiscent of the Arkham games in ease of motion blended with a fair depth of options. I'm not a big fan (or indeed, a fan at all) of Insomniac Games but this project looks like it has the potential to do for Spider-Man what Arkham did for Batman.

4. Crash Bandicoot Remasters: I've never played the Crash Bandicoot games, but from what I've seen they're pure platforming, with all the running, jumping, timing and sheer simple fun that entails. And like most platformers with this focus, I've heard that despite their simplicity (or perhaps because of it) they can get very difficult, which is always a good thing. The remastered versions look to be doing what DKCR and DKTF did for DK, bringing a new graphical vision yet preserving the essence of the originals. I also anticipate the remasters for what they symbolize: an genuine interest from both devs and hopefully fans in platforming. Combined with the new Mario game and Yooka-Laylle, hopefully the genre will receive enough popular support to be revived.

5. Super Mario (untitled project for Nintendo Switch): We know even less about this one than Spider-Man, in fact we know practically nothing about it, other than that it is a new Mario game. From the beta preview we saw on the Switch trailer, though, we caught a glimpse of a Mexican-themed village. I loved 3D World and its return to pure platforming, plus the revival of the mid-air turning mechanic which really brings so much to the controls, so I'm currently hopeful about the potential direction this game could be taking.

6. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard: I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of the RE series, in fact I've only played one game, but I would consider myself a huge fan of that game (RE 4) and so am excited for a new installment. We've seen a lot from this, but I have mixed feelings. I've never been a fan of the more limited first-person perspective, no matter what the game, and the mansion doesn't look very special, seeming very condensed and restrictive. Though of course these could be seen as positive qualities, as the game is aiming to be more horror-focused and thus the claustrophobic atmosphere would enhance this feeling. I put this so low on the list because it doesn't match up as much with my personal interests in game or art direction, but it's still on the list because of how much I enjoyed RE 4, and the promise of a return to actual pacing with enemy encounters (a single enemy following you around the house, and all you can do is just run from him).

noomi

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. God of War
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Yooka-Laylee
5. Outlast 2
6. Resident Evil 7
7. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
8. Crash Bandicoot: N'Sane Trilogy
9. Mass Effect: Andromeda
10. South Park: The Fractured But Whole

HMD

1. Persona 5
  2. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
  3. Horizon
  4. Gravity Rush 2
  5. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  6. Outlast II
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2

Sydle

2. Sea of Thieves
  3. Yooka-Laylee
  4. Crackdown 3
  5. South Park Fractured But Whole
  6. Scalebound
  7. Prey
  8. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  9. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  10. Destiny 2

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A sequel to Nier and a Dark Souls rip-off
...No

Have you even played the beta (or alpha)? Calling it a rip-off is reductive, insulting, and inaccurate. I'm honestly surprised you even listed it in your own top ten if that's how you feel about it.

from the developers of Ninja Gaiden 3 are legit about to end up in the top 10 list this year, which seems crazy compared to last year's top 10.
GAF has a hard-on for Platinum and Nier, it's not that surprising, and GAF also loves Souls games.

the most anticipated games are a sequel to a cult classic and a Dark Souls clone, those are pretty niche titles to be in the top 10 compared to last year's, thats all Im saying. Thats all this conversation was ever about. There are less big, broadly appealing games this year compared to last year, hence the perception of lower vote turnout
It's funny how in your earlier post you mentioned "last year had Dark Souls" but now you are surprised a so-called "Dark Souls clone" is getting a lot of votes? Anyway, Persona 5 is topping a lot of lists and that's very niche too. I get what you are saying, since you clarified, but your initial post was rather bizarre and kind of inflammatory.

Mildudon

2. Yooka Laylee
3. Call of Cthulhu
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda
5. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
6. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
7. Red Dead Redemption 2
8. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
9. Torment: Tides of Numenera
10. Night in the Woods

1. Horizon Zero Dawn; Watching all the videos, the world seems so beautiful and the story appears intriguing which will actually help care about that beautiful world and characters. Also looks like a great game to stretch the legs of the PS4 Pro and 4K TV.
2. Mass Effect Andromeda: One of my favorite video game universes. I've sunken a lot of time into multiple play throughs of ME2 & ME3 and I can't get enough. I really enjoyed the combat from ME3 and the demos only indicate expanding on that.
3. Persona 5: The reason I played as much of my Vita was due to Persona 4 Golden. I've never been into JRPG's, but I've bought into the hype of this game based off the immersion and fun I've had with 4.
4. South Park the Fractured But Whole; I love the show (old and new seasons) and love love loved the first game. Fan-service all over the face. Gameplay takes a back seat to the humor for me here, but the new battle system seems like a good evolution from the first game.
5. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild; Finally a game I can justify paying full price for on the WiiU.
6. Sea of Theives: I may not get it day one, if only just to see if having an expansive friends list will be a requirement. But it looks like a lot of fun and beautiful world built for the Xbox.

Since it's not official for 2017, I'll leave Destiny 2 off. Otherwise that puppy shoots up to at least #2 for me.

That's my list, it looks like no matter the tastes it will be a great year for all of us!

Labadal

1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Torment: Tides of Numenera
3. Ni No Kuni II
4. Nier: Automata
5. Tales of Berseria
6. Yakuza 0
7. Expeditions: Viking
8. Persona 5
9. Dragon Quest XI
10. Yakuza Kiwami

Honorable mentions
Battle Brothers
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Death's Gambit
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
EITR
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Final Fantasy XII Remaster
Heart Forth, Alicia
The Alliance Alive
SaGa: Scarlet Grace
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

Maybe:
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Nioh
Regalia - Of Men and Monarchs

TimmiT

1. Sonic Mania:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favourite game of all time, and this is the first Sonic game released since then that I can see potentially being as good as that game. While I feel like Sega has been relying too much on re-using level tropes from the classic games as of late, I'm excited to see what the twists on the classic zones will be in this game. Besides that, the two original zones shown so far look fantastic. Not just that, the game's animation is incredible, and it seems to be the first new game in the series to get classic Sonic's controls right.

2. Persona 5:
Persona 4 is a close second to favourite game ever for me. Maybe it's because I played it at a time when I needed a fun JRPG to put a lot of my time into, but something about the game just really clicked with me. And Persona 5 seems to have everything I loved about Persona 4, but even better. I've never seen any other game with a more appealing style than this, and I can't wait to spend time with the game's world and characters.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild:
I don't think I was ever really that into most of the other Zelda games. I enjoyed them for sure, but not quite as much as others usually enjoy these games. But the open world of Breath of the Wild looks like so much fun to explore and mess around in that I can't wait to play it.

4. Yooka-Laylee:
It's Banjo-Threeie. Enough said.

5. Yakuza 0:
The Yakuza series has become one of my favourite series over the past couple of years. Some may think that SEGA no longer makes the kind of games that they used to make, but that's not true. Their style is very much still present in these games. That along with great combat, a plethora of fun side stuff to do, and just ridiculous shit happening all throughout the game makes me super excited for the next Yakuza.

6. Nier: Automata:
Honestly I still need to finish the first Nier, but this basically looks like Metal Gear Rising 2 so I'm in.

7. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy:
Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot games were some of the first games I played as a kid, so of course I can't wait to play through them again with pretty looking graphics.

8. Yakuza Kiwami:
Yakuza 1 is probably the weakest game in the series, but I'm still excited to play through it again. Especially with all of the improvements that Kiwami has.

9. Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom:
I wasn't a fan of the first Ni no Kuni. I thought the game's world was neat, and Level-5 did an astounding job adapting Ghibli's style into video game form. But gameplay-wise it was basically just a boring Pokemon game, with way too much grinding. The combat in the sequel looks way more interesting to me though. That and again the world and visuals look fantastic yet again. I'd probably put this higher on the list if I enjoyed the first game more, but still, I'm excited.

10. Horizon: Zero Dawn:
Robot animals and the hunting stuff look cool. I honestly haven't really looked at that much gameplay for this but out of the rest of all the games releasing next year this one interests me the most. Also it's the first game Guerilla has made that I'm actually interested in so that's something.

NahaNago

Its so weird their are like no games that i can think of that i'm truly hyped for next year. There are a bunch of games that i'm gonna buy next year cause i do have some slight interest in them but none that i feel are an OH MY GOD i must get it and talk about this game until i get it.

GR2teapot.gif

1. Gravity Rush 2 : I'd be playing this in 2016 if FFXV and The Last Guardian didn't get delayed. What a pisser. Gravity Rush 2 is my most anticipated game of 2017 simply because it's the follow-up to one of my favourite games of the gen, in both Vita and console remastered forms, and it promises to improve on all areas. The Ghibli-inspired anime visuals surpass even Ni no Kuni, the colours pop off the screen like a technicolour light show, video gaming's greatest means of traversal now offers more ways to manipulate gravity and soar through the sky and... it's just more Gravity Rush. It shouldn't even be happening, but somehow it is.

2. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom : All I really could ask for here is more of the same, but with a combat system that doesn't require me to do a million different tasks at once when things get heated. Fact of the matter is, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch represented everything that made me fall in love with JRPGs in the first place, and that's something that I just haven't seen enough of lately. So bring back that Ghibli art design, that Joe Hisaishi music, that feeling of grandiosity and adventure and, most importantly, bring back Puss in Boats.

3. Persona 5 : DUAL AUDIO BITCHES! The fact that I don't have to endure familiar-sounding San Francisco anime voice actors in my Persona anymore is a blessing like you wouldn't believe. Now my immersion won't be shattered every time a character says "Senpai!" Score one for authenticity.

I've also heard through the grapevine that the game is immaculate, so there's that.

4. Red Dead Redemption 2 : Definitely not my first choice of sequel to a Rockstar game, but the first one was undeniably a gen-defining title impact wise, and helped make the wild west a viable backdrop for video games, so bring it on. What's also noteworthy is that Red Dead Redemption 2 represents the developer giant's first proper foray into the current generation of consoles, which is exciting in itself. Just, please don't be a prequel to the first game's events.

5. Little Nightmares : LittleBigPlanet meets The City of Lost Children. I've been transfixed by Little Nightmares since I first laid eyes on it, and I like that it's pushing the horror angle despite being a platformer kinda sorta aimed at a younger audience. Looks suitably grotesque and foreboding and I love that about it.

6. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony : A new cast, a new beginning, but hopefully more of the same twisted scenarios, gruesome deaths, high-pressure trials and mind-bending plot twists I've grown to love this series for.

7. Ni-Oh : Unabashedly a Souls clone, yet I've never been this excited for a Souls game before. Pin it down to a setting and cast steeped in Japanese mythology and a story that's told through more conventional means and not via item descriptions. Every character and monster shown so far has a fantastic design. Oh, and the main character is an Irish samurai. That's so fucking cool.

8. Night in the Woods : There's enough allure behind this game's plot to have me hooked, even if I don't know much about what events will actually transpire during the course of its story (and that's fine with me). I like the fact that it has its hooks firmly set in the adventure genre, with lots of arsing about on rooftops, exploring the town, chatting with NPCs and gradually unfolding the central mystery on the agenda. Really awesome cartoon aesthetic too.

9. WipEout Omega Collection : Futuristic racers are going through something of a rough patch right now, so this collection couldn't be more timely. I'm itching to put some serious hours into a WipEout/Rollcage type game again, so this will fit the bill and then some. Buy this people, so that we can get a new installment in the franchise, something a whole lot more grimy and cyberpunkish like 2097!

10. Rain World : Reminds me of Another World and Flashback, but with a far more oppressive and sinister tone. The amount of detail that has gone into its hostile world is startling. Definitely one of the most interesting and visually-captivating indies on the horizon.

As an aside, I'll eat my hat if Shenmue III comes out next year. It's not happening. We haven't even seen a snippet of gameplay footage yet. Wish I could vote for Detroit: Become Human and Final Fantasy VII Remake as well, but alas.

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Persona 5
3. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
5. Gravity Rush 2
6. Mass Effect: Andromeda
7. Dragon Quest XI
8. Dragon Quest VIII
9. Resident Evil VII
10. Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

Kinda sad that I have a remaster in my top 3, but I'm stoked as fuck for it.

3rd year in a row for Zelda and Persona in the top 10, let's go!

Trickytoon

Neo Member
1. Resident Evil 7
2. Shenmue 3
3. Mass Effect Andromeda
5. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Gran Turismo Sport
7. Torment: Tides of Numenera
8. Warhammer 40k : Dawn of War 3
9. Horizon Zero Dawn
10. Persona 5

Vexingsruzz

Neo Member
1. Persona 5: I am slave and will finally get emancipation.
2. Gravity Rush 2: Discovered the series this year and I can't wait to see what Kat and Raven do next.
3. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King: Played the original on PS2 and am looking forward to going through it again.
4. Horizon Zero Dawn: I want to wrangle some robo-dinos.
5. South Park: The Fractured, but Whole: Looking forward to farting on more children.
6. Dragon Quest XI: More Dragon Quest is always a god thing, assuming it comes to NA.
7. Red Dead Redemption 2: The first game was great, hoping for more Westworld and fewer cougar maulings.
8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I'm not sold on the Switch quite yet, but I'm excited to see this new world.
9. Resident Evil 7: Loved 4 and 5, skipped 6 and hoping this will be worth a look.
10. Uncharted Lost Legacy: Naughty Dog usually delivers a satisfying narrative, so here's hoping they give Chloe a good send-off.

Frameworker

Neo Member
Rain World : Reminds me of Another World and Flashback, but with a far more oppressive and sinister tone. The amount of detail that has gone into its hostile world is startling. Definitely one of the most interesting and visually-captivating indies on the horizon.

Agree completely.
Now, when the amazing The Last Guardian finally is out, Rain World steps up as the most intriguing unreleased AI effort. But it's not "just" one (mind blowing!) creature as in TLG, it's a whole living, breathing world of interacting NPCs with agency, personalities and evolving relations. The animation style is also very innovative and smooth.

Rain World is by far my most anticipated game for 2017, AAAs included.

SephLuis

1. Nier Automata
2. Persona 5
3. Zelda Breath of the Wild
4. Trails in the Cold Steel 3
5. Tekken 7
6. Nioh
7. Yakuza 0
8. Wipeout Omega Collection
9. Danganronpa V3
10. Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite

Bonus:

Yooka Laylee
Gravity Rush 2
..and many more that I am probably forgetting now.

Will likely edit after Switch launch lineup is announced, but here goes so far:

2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
3. Read Dead Redemption 2
4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance

1. Persona 5 : My most anticipated game of this year, as well as last year. Unless the world ends or something, this time it's really real, for real. The very thought brings tears to my eyes.
2. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony : Even with the anime series being complete trash, every bit of this game I've seen so far looks to be a complete return to form.
3. Yakuza 0
4. NieR Automata
5. Gravity Rush 2
6. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
7. Tales of Berseria
8. Crash N-Sane Trilogy
9. Fate/Extella
10. Sonic Mania

Dmax3901

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I was lucky enough to play the E3 demo earlier in the year, not that I needed to to anticipate this. Zelda was my intro to games as a 5 year old and playing OoT over christmas of '98 as an 8 year old changed my life forever. This Zelda seems to be shaking things up in a big way, and I can't fucking wait.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2: Jose Gonzalez. Far Away. Entering Mexico at sunset. One of my favourite moments I've ever experience in a video game and looking forward to the gorgeous sequel.

3. Persona 5: I've only played one Persona game (4) and that I have yet to finish. The dungeons are a slog and one in particular was giving me trouble so I put it down and just haven't had a chance to get back to it. But everything else about the game enchanted me, there's nothing else like it. With 5 reportedly improving upon dungeons dramatically, the game should be incredible.

4. Horizon: Zero Dawn: I played a demo of this too and while it was very pretty (and will be even more so on the pro omggg) the gameplay itself is a little concerning. I'm worried this will be more restricting and Ubisoft-esque than I first thought. The footage of the fort marketplace from the panel at PSX got my hype through the roof though.

5. Mass Effect Andromeda: Another concerning one. This game has been 'revealed' so many times and none of them have really had an impact on me. My biggest concern is that it will be DA:I in space. I love Mass Effect though so still holding onto hope. Expecting a delay too.

6. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom: First one was such good vibes, great art style and world. Combat wasn't fantastic and story wasn't the most fascinating one ever crafted, hoping the sequel improves on everything. Also base-building?

7. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy: I'm assuming this qualifies as I'm seeing a whole lot of people posting it. Uncharted 4 was incredible and more of that level of quality but completely different characters in a unique setting? Sign me up.

8. Resident Evil VII: My history with this series isn't as all-encompassing as some. First one I played start to finish was 4 (loved it), then 5 on 360. More recently I've been playing REmake on PS4 and slowly making my way through it. It's fantastic. VII is obviously a huge departure but from what I've played it's gonna be tense as hell.

9. NiOh: Samurai Geralt Souls is pretty much all you need to say. I played the beta and enjoyed it, but was still playing DS3 at that point so it was a bit hard for me to get fully invested. Looking forward to dedicating myself to this one.

10. Star Wars Battlefront 2: I played a fair bit of the beta of the first one, enjoyed it but had concerns about the season pass and longevity so never ended up buying it. I have faith DICE will deliver a decent amount of content with the sequel.

SeanIfOnly

Neo Member
1. New Mario title
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. New Mario Kart
6. Crackdown 3
7. Star Wars Battlefront 2
8. Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite
9. Sea of Thieves

Top Bottom