• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls PC Beta Thread | Gettin' Squigly Wit It

Regarding command lists...

They do work, the problem is using a controller to select them. Supposedly if you select the option with the Spacebar it works.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it's being fixed along with everything else that's been reported.
From the OT.
Squigly looks like she's going to be the second best character in the game (#1 is still Peacock).
Peacock is the best character in the same way Morrigan is the best in UMvC3.

Take away the assists and watch what happens.
Maybe I will drop Parasoul for Squigly...
I would advise you to try this BnB before calling it quits.

j.HP
st.MK, cr.HP,
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK,
st.MK, cr.HP,
j.LP, j.MK, j.HK,
st.LK, st.MK, 2x st.HP, lp.Tear shot,
st.LP, st.MP, f.HP, sniper shot

I was literally relying on pure link based combos for midstage and corner damage for over a year now because I found her other combos intimidating, but combos like these that bring opponents into the air and back down are SUPER easy to connect. This is her intermediate damage, but it feels easier than my low damage link combos that were HARDER. I feel like I've been playing Parasoul half wrong this year with good zoning/mixups and really unoptimized/shitty combos.

Kyou

Didn't play this originally, really enjoying the beta. Getting my ass kicked by the boss in story mode.

Ravidrath

Just to be perfectly clear, the Beta version will be "constantly" updating with the newest version at Salty Cupcakes giving us an early preview of the other 4 DLC characters too, right?

I can't guarantee that Mike is going to put out every single Salty Cupcakes update, but we intend to try out experimental things with it often.

And ultimately it would be up to Mike, but I don't think we'd put the other DLC characters in until they're more or less "gameplay complete" so people have a complete picture of a cahracter before sending in suggestions.

Didn't play this originally, really enjoying the beta. Getting my ass kicked by the boss in story mode.

Regular story mode or Squigly's? Because Squigly's is intentionally extremely difficult.

For other characters, just be sure to block a lot and only go in when things look safe. I struggled with her at first, but it's because I was trying to be as aggressive with her as I could be with the other characters.

Looking forward to someone beating Squigly's story mode!
I'd like to, but I'm finding it a bit difficult to even get a gameplan for this thing. At first I thought I could go for a time out, but even avoiding at my best, I still get chipped down to about half life. I can not find a way to do any significant damage. I think my best is around 25% to 33% damage done, and that's when I'm trying to be as safe as possible. You can't hit the command throw super, her song ball is basically useless. Her level 3 seems all right--creates stagger in the right circumstances. I haven't found a way to keep the stagger going, though; that would be too good, right?

Strats I've tried:
Get a few hits, run away - The problem is that something will probably chip you eventually. Very hard to avoid the bullet hell.
C.HK Seria Cancelled - Probably her safest disjoint, especially when cancelled. The problem is that you'll get destroyed by skeletons and skulltrains playing this close up.
Crossover with J.MK and J.HK - Maybe the solution? Marie seems to have a little trouble dealing with this, but the skull trains can mess you up big time.

Come on, GAF, let's beat Marie 300%!

Is anybody else in the Australasia region playing this? Just tried an online match and I'm assuming my opponent was from the US since everything was about 1/4 the speed and as a result it was near-impossible to input anything to properly play.

Not that I'd of been that great with a decent connection, but still. Never had that sort of problem playing on American TF2 servers either when my connection is good for the most part.

Ravidrath

Is anybody else in the Australasia region playing this? Just tried an online match and I'm assuming my opponent was from the US since everything was about 1/4 the speed and as a result it was near-impossible to input anything to properly play.

Not that I'd of been that great with a decent connection, but still. Never had that sort of problem playing on American TF2 servers either when my connection is good for the most part.

GGPO should be able to play pretty well overseas.

Might want to try a few more and see if your experience is the same on all of them, because only one match could just mean that they had a bad connection or something.

alstein

I had a match like that as well. Maybe we played each other?

I've played Japanese on GGPO and even SC5 and it's been playable so it might be something more than that.

Jintor

Somehow crashed after I went into the credits menu from extras and tried to get out again, hitting select, start and a. It froze for some reason or the other.

I'll give you a match right now if you want, but I'm shithouse. Like, didn't use a blockbuster attack at all in my quick Fillia runthrough shithouse.

Whenever I enable V-Sync in Nvidia control panel, The game locks to 30 FPS. When I disable V-Sync, the game goes to 90 FPS in battle and I can't really play lol.

Tried a couple more times and still got the same underwater-like speeds again, even when I drop the visual quality. Can't seem to find anybody when I try my region-only either. Pretty sure it's the same player royally kicking my ass with a Cerebella and Squiggly as well. :(

I'll give you a match right now if you want, but I'm shithouse. Like, didn't use a blockbuster attack at all in my quick Fillia runthrough shithouse.
I wouldn't consider myself much better, but at least since we're both Aussie hopefully a match would at least run decently. What's your Steamname?

Downloaded the Beta yesterday night. Will try it out after work today. Waited specifically for the PC version of the game and now I can't wait to play it :D

Can anyone tell who is the most "Hulk-like" character? As in Hulk from UMvC3, so, not much of a grappler, but more of a slow brute power type character.

Squigly looks like she's going to be the second best character in the game (#1 is still Peacock).

You must be playing a far different Peacock than the one I'm playing because Squigly Edition Peacock is no where near #1 in my book. She got hit with the nerf bat pretty significantly going into this she's got that cap of 2 bombs on the screen at a time and she doesn't have the easy mode tracking that HP item drop afforded her in her previous incarnations.

Downloaded the Beta yesterday night. Will try it out after work today. Waited specifically for the PC version of the game and now I can't wait to play it :D

Can anyone tell who is the most "Hulk-like" character? As in Hulk from UMvC3, so, not much of a grappler, but more of a slow brute power type character.

In the current game you're probably looking at Cerebella as your go to gal she's a grappler of course but given the huge variety of special moves she has you can play her very much in the same vein as a character like Hulk with super armor on a number of her moves and other goodies to mess around with. Going forward you'll probably be looking forward to seeing BigBand as work on him continues, he's a few months out though.

big_band_073_war_tuba_cannons.png
big_band_077_timpany_buster.png

In the current game you're probably looking at Cerebella as your go to gal she's a grappler of course but given the huge variety of special moves she has you can play her very much in the same vein as a character like Hulk with super armor on a number of her moves and other goodies to mess around with. Going forward you'll probably be looking forward to seeing BigBand as work on him continues, he's a few months out though.

Thanks, will try her out then.
And I can't wait for Big Band! I really want him to be my main character. :)

Seems to be a problem with Exclusive Fullscreen. Ignores V-Sync. Using regular full screen locks it to 60 FPS, but using Exclusive Fullscreen shoots the FPS to 130 on the Main Menu.

I wish I could have stretch full screen that locked to 60 FPS.

Nezzhil

My brother is playing the game with Ms. Fortune, anyone can recomend to him a good guide (text or video format) about the undead cat? Or at least a good Ms.Fortune player's video?

Thanks.

Fake edit: The spanish localization has errors on the main menu (missing text).

mcmmaster

It was really hard! Amazing how a simple infinite is hard to keep up under pressure.

Great going man, had an attempt at it myself and actually wondered if LabZero put anything special in the game after defeating her, oh and I love the saddened rendition of Maplecrest I believe it was playing just after Maries defeat. I don't recall it being in the console versions anywhere or in the soundtrack so it must be new unless I just have bad memory.

Kioshen

The game wouldn't start for me, maybe because of all the stuff I ran before it (namely Sonic Racing Transformed) - I'd reboot to give it another shot, but it's late.

I wonder if any issues found will get fixed/patched diring the beta period...

Yes they will. The game will be updated during the beta period so please submit any bugs you find with as much detail as you can. A dxdiag dump helps more and is easier than typing out all the system specs.

My brother is playing the game with Ms. Fortune, anyone can recomend to him a good guide (text or video format) about the undead cat? Or at least a good Ms.Fortune player's video?

Thanks.

Fake edit: The spanish localization has errors on the main menu (missing text).

This guide is from one of the best Nadia players out there : http://tinyurl.com/howtonadia

==============

Again guys, if you have any bugs whatsoever please report them to bugreport (at) labzerogames (dot) com

Ravidrath lurks around here but make his job easier and Mike's too.

Obviously, they have totally completed Big Band and have just put him in.

(I'm banking on some bug fixes.)
Things I've noticed since the patch:
Command Lists don't automatically close out with normal button presses any more.
The game will properly suspend play when you alt tab or swap to another window instead of mashing pause frame by frame. It was causing some bugs earlier, so it makes sense, but I like being able to control games while they're in the background.
Button Mapping looks unchanged, including the nasty bug that basically requires deleting your save--still needs a lot of work.
Gameplay seems unchanged, but I didn't look very hard.

NEO0MJ

Having a problem, after I returned to the beta after closing the game thinks my arcade stick is the P2 controller. Did anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's because I have a cthulhu PCB?

The game will properly suspend play when you alt tab or swap to another window instead of mashing pause frame by frame. It was causing some bugs earlier, so it makes sense, but I like being able to control games while they're in the background.

There was a 100% reproducible issue that forced a restart involving being able to interact with the title whilst alt-tabbed. :p

LegendX48

Having a problem, after I returned to the beta after closing the game thinks my arcade stick is the P2 controller. Did anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's because I have a cthulhu PCB?

I have a SFxT fightstick pro and it does the same thing, it's defaulted to player 2 :\

Psxphile

Anyone else experience something like this?

This is in windowed mode, 1280x720. Going 1080p full-screen doesn't alleviate it (but it does introduce slowdown w/ 3D backgrounds enabled). Otherwise the beta runs pretty good (actually, in 720p window mode it seems a little fast?) on my end.

Argyle

Anyone else experience something like this?

This is in windowed mode, 1280x720. Going 1080p full-screen doesn't alleviate it (but it does introduce slowdown w/ 3D backgrounds enabled). Otherwise the beta runs pretty good (actually, in 720p window mode it seems a little fast?) on my end.

Turn off MSAA in your display driver control panel (Anti-aliasing should be "application controlled")...

Psxphile

Turn off MSAA in your display driver control panel (Anti-aliasing should be "application controlled")...

Ooh. That fixed it. Thanks!

(I'm a terrible PC user)

EDIT: hm, it also seems to alleviated the fullscreen slowdown a bit. Plays much nicer. Double thanks!

Sheesh, is there any good strategy against Marie 300% right now besides Level 3->(LP, MP, HPx2, stance cancel)x infinite and pray you don't drop it?

So Squigly's stance cancels become FASTER if the stance used to stance cancel is in its charged up state. Wow.

It's like Squigly represents the epitome of a good fighting game character design, she's a character that has appealing aspects to players of all skill level with being simultaneously easy to pick up and play but containing layer upon layer of depth and extra complexity for those who are looking under the hood. I am continually surprised and delighted as I stumble on another piece of the puzzle that is Squigly. The stance cancels being faster amounts to having a far more effective offensive game (stance cancel based pressure and mixups are instantly improved) at the potential cost of temporarily losing these things when using a special move from that stance. THIS is how you make an effective Risk/Reward system in a fighting game and its these little aspects that make me appreciate how intelligently she was put together.

If this is where the bar is set for the upcoming characters in Skullgirls then I seriously cannot wait to see what characters like Eliza, BigBand, RoboFortune, and Beowulf bring to the table.

How soon can we expect lobbies? I keep running up against this solo Double and the ping says it's all green but when I enter the match it's laggy in their favour.

Top Bottom