• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Linius

Yeah I specifically went down to my local record store to make sure I would get the red version. Actually had the choice between red and purple to my surprise.

Xun

Yeah I specifically went down to my local record store to make sure I would get the red version. Actually had the choice between red and purple to my surprise.
On Juno.co.uk they have both versions, and I must've by clicked on the standard edition by accident.

I was looking forward to having my first coloured vinyl... :(

Edit: Fuck it I'll buy it again and try and sell this one to a friend or on Discogs.

Ok... I need some simple education and input from my true vinyl gaf people. I'm new this this whole world of collecting records. I've been slowly building my collection for about a year now. I've scooped up some awesome limited stuff from mondo, ship to shore, death waltz, and a few of my favorite albums. Lately I feel like I've run into shit luck with fresh out the sleeve warping. It's kind of discouraging me and making me want to ease up on or quit the hobby all together.

Let me get the basics out of the way. I store all my albums vertically, I've done tons of research on how to store, handle, ect. I'm very OCD and conscious with this hobby. It's not cheap....

Can someone explain to me what warping (if any) is acceptable? I feel like this past month I've sent almost every album I've ordered from Amazon back due to them being warped. I've seen countless threads online of shit quality control and so on.... the thing that throws me off is the sound quality is fine (no skipping, no skating, no issues). But I can't help but get nervous seeing my needle go up and down like it's on a carnival ride. The more extreme cases I've swapped out and thankfully the newer ones are better. I've also opened some limited stuff I've ordered that was sealed up for a while and I've noticed even those have a ever so slight warp. Again not impacting sound quality.

I've seen the glass method online (put album between 2 sheets of glass in the oven) and I'm way too scared to try it. I also don't want to play these also for the fact I don't want to fuck my needle and tone arm up..... am I overreacting? Is my OCD getting the best of me? Is there always some slight warpage with these 180g limited releases?

How do you guys handle it? Any other suggestions?

Spwn

^ I wouldn't worry about it too much if it doesn't affect playback. Also maybe consider buying a clamp or a weight to press the records flat on the turntable if your player allows it.

BenN

Warping is ok if it doesn't affect playback, but if it bothers you a lot there is always the vinyl flat - I have one and it works great ...mine is an older version without the outer ring and it still works great.

http://vinylflat.com/

OCD combined with vinyl records is not the greatest thing, considering the terrible quality control across the board these days.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i've stuck slightly warped records under a heavy pile of books for a week or two and come away with slightly flatter records.

I don't know if I'd ever trust myself to put a record in the oven or leave it in the sun. some appropriately applied pressure is enough for me.

and as long as the warping isn't nuts then it's not doing much to the needle. at least not as much wear and tear it would normally get from a perfectly flat record.

IronRinn

^ I wouldn't worry about it too much if it doesn't affect playback. Also maybe consider buying a clamp or a weight to press the records flat on the turntable if your player allows it.
This, 100%. A record clamp/weight is a must in my opinion.

Dan-o

It's worth noting that a clamp or weight won't make all records totally flat, but they do help. I even use one for non-warped records.
If you can't hear the way the sound is affected by a warp, well... You're very lucky. :)

Just bought a 1980s set of large 110wt pioneer CS-J303Q speakers, a pioneer SX-2900 amp, Aladdin Sane, Eye in the Sky, Flock of Seagulls all for $160cdn

Cant wait to set it all up. tired of listening to everything in mono through my guitar amp

Noks415

Hey guys, so I've finally decided to hang out with the cool kids. I just have two simple questions regarding my upcoming purchase.

1. The Orbit from U-turn or Audio-Technica AT-LP120?

2. Any decent powered speakers that won't break the bank?

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, so I've finally decided to hang out with the cool kids. I just have two simple questions regarding my upcoming purchase.

Thanks guys!

I have the AT-LP120, but I'm wishing I had got the U-turn. AT is big and bulky, it has a lot of DJ stuff that isn't much of a use for me.
Audio Engine A5 speakers are pretty great.

MizzouRah

Thanks guys!

I really dig my AT-LP120 and there are a lot of tweaks and upgrades you can make to the table. I swapped the slipmat with a rubber one from an older turntable I inherited, upgraded the cartridge to an AT120eb, and pulled out the internal pre-amp to exclusively use an external (Rolls VP29, but just ordered the Tube Box S).

Not much experience with powered speakers as I use a receiver, but I've heard good things about the A5s mentioned above and I use the A2+ on my desktop with no complaints there.

wenis

487wbhd.png

new stuff added to my collection. I've also got Soulwax - From Deewee and Soulwax - Nite Versions being shipped over from Europe right now (and a couple pre-orders for Gorillaz and Little Dragon later this month, maybe that new Kendrick release this weekend if it does pop off).

That From Deewee set is classy looking

Oiesh91.jpg

Spwn

Decided to photograph my whole collection. Not the best quality pictures, but it gave me quite a lot of perspective on how much my collection has grown since I started seriously collecting early last year.

link to album

Darren870

Can anyone comment on those Pyle gramophone record players on eBay? My girlfriend really wants a gramophone record player and I thought I'd get her one for her birthday. I read mixed reviews on them and wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Oh and I buy and sell records. I probably have over 3000 records to go though. If anyone is looking for a record feel free to pm me and I can check if in have it. Otherwise I just list them on eBay. Mostly 80s-90s rock pop. Some rap and R&B. Heavy metal as well.

Dan-o

Can anyone comment on those Pyle gramophone record players on eBay? My girlfriend really wants a gramophone record player and I thought I'd get her one for her birthday. I read mixed reviews on them and wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
They're, umm... Hmm...
Yes, they will play records.
But I'd strongly suggest not going down the Pyle or Crosley route. You're better off putting that kind of cash towards an entry-level Uturn Orbit or a used Technics or something.

The gramophone / faux vintage appeal on those things goes away after a few months and you're left with a cheap platter, needle, and other components that may be causing more harm to your collection than good.

LaneDS

I'd like to clean some of my records, and see a lot of varying suggestions on how to do so. So obviously I wanted to solicit advice here to get even more suggestions on how to do so- what do y'all use to clean your vinyl collection?

Darren870

They're, umm... Hmm...
Yes, they will play records.
But I'd strongly suggest not going down the Pyle or Crosley route. You're better off putting that kind of cash towards an entry-level Uturn Orbit or a used Technics or something.

The gramophone / faux vintage appeal on those things goes away after a few months and you're left with a cheap platter, needle, and other components that may be causing more harm to your collection than good.

Yea, and that's what the reviews I'm reading are suggesting. However she just wants one of those old style ones to listen to some old jazz and classical music we have laying around. Really just a nestolgia thing.

123rl

I'd like to clean some of my records, and see a lot of varying suggestions on how to do so. So obviously I wanted to solicit advice here to get even more suggestions on how to do so- what do y'all use to clean your vinyl collection?

I asked this same question a while ago in this thread and I eventually bought a Spin Clean. It's relatively expensive but the results speak for themselves. It's worked so well and hasn't met a record that it couldn't improve. It won't magically fix physical damage but it will definitely clean and remove dust and dirt. It's so easy to use too and is very good value

wenis

Yea, they are just $500+ it seems. Also heard they aren't the best for certain records based on the new groves.
I was being cheeky 😊

I guess if you guys don't mind the poor audio quality go with god and get it. I get the aesthetic purpose but the wear and tear on the records would give me pause.

Darren870

I was being cheeky 😊

I guess if you guys don't mind the poor audio quality go with god and get it. I get the aesthetic purpose but the wear and tear on the records would give me pause.

Yea, I guess I might. Just to see how it sounds. Would definitely be using cheaper older records on it.

Anyone here look for records in the GAF marketplace? I have loads to sell. Just debating if it's worth posting in there.

8bit

Knows the Score

How dirty are they? Mostly a decent cloth or brush will do you, but I've got a Milty Antistatic gun and a Knosti cleaning bath for more stubborn items.

Some other idea here : http://thevinylfactory.com/features/8-easy-and-affordable-ways-to-clean-your-vinyl-records-by-hand/

LaneDS

I asked this same question a while ago in this thread and I eventually bought a Spin Clean. It's relatively expensive but the results speak for themselves. It's worked so well and hasn't met a record that it couldn't improve. It won't magically fix physical damage but it will definitely clean and remove dust and dirt. It's so easy to use too and is very good value

How dirty are they? Mostly a decent cloth or brush will do you, but I've got a Milty Antistatic gun and a Knosti cleaning bath for more stubborn items.

Some other idea here : http://thevinylfactory.com/features/8-easy-and-affordable-ways-to-clean-your-vinyl-records-by-hand/

Not very- most are fairly new but I've noticed some come "cleaner" than others fresh out of the packaging. I'll probably just start with a decent brush and maybe one day move up to the Spin Clean, which looks legit but also looks like probably more than what I need currently. Thank you both!

wenis

Not very- most are fairly new but I've noticed some come "cleaner" than others fresh out of the packaging. I'll probably just start with a decent brush and maybe one day move up to the Spin Clean, which looks legit but also looks like probably more than what I need currently. Thank you both!

I may be interested in upgrading my cleaning solution in the next month or so. I'd probably be inclined to sell off my Spin Clean.

123rl

I now use it to clean new records on their first use, as I've had dirty records from a sealed box. Results will vary but I've never used it and not heard/saw a difference afterwards

Ernest

Banned
I know it's meaningless, but I've REALLY been digging colored vinyl lately.

Some cool looking examples from my collection:

17265403_1072714342872431_5498512033936572416_n.jpg

Hey all!

Regarding Vinyl Me, Please. Does anyone have a $10 coupon? I want to use it to buy Humanz for $15. It would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I have to refer someone? Or if it even works a 2nd time because I already used $10 off once.

Anyone interested in a Vinyl Me, Please monthly subscription? Let me know! I'll send you a referral so we can get $10 off whatever we want, and or your monthly sub! :p

wenis

Jesus. Is that discogs?
It is. I'm testing out the app Discographic. Hitting 1,000 records soon in my collection. Took 16 years but now I'm here.

Hey all!

Regarding Vinyl Me, Please. Does anyone have a $10 coupon? I want to use it to buy Humanz for $15. It would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I have to refer someone? Or if it even works a 2nd time because I already used $10 off once.
You can refer individuals at least one time but can refer as many times as you want. I have 12 referrals under my belt over two years now. You just got to find someone interested in an account and send them a referral link.

Damn, I just hit 100 with my latest purchase (Brigador Vol 2) and I already feel like it takes up a ton of space. wenis, what kind of storage do you have for all that? I imagine just a wall of records.

wenis

Damn, I just hit 100 with my latest purchase (Brigador Vol 2) and I already feel like it takes up a ton of space. wenis, what kind of storage do you have for all that? I imagine just a wall of records.
I have them spread across a few different IKEA Kallax shelves but if I were to combine them it'd take up the equivalent of two 4x2 Kallax shelves.

Truthfully I'm due for a little purge of stuff I just rarely spin or don't want in my collection anymore. Though I feel like I won't have a hard time getting back to 1,000 again very soon after.

wenis

2000+ seems so far away if it took me really long to get to a 1000. Tho if I do hit that point my girlfriend will have to deal with it. She's doing well so far 🤷🏾*♂️

As for RSD, I've lucked out this year and my record store guy is setting aside the two items I wanted. That Theolonious Monk box set and the Poliça 7". I'll stroll in after the initial crowd, get what I wanted and maybe poke around a bit.

Top Bottom