• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Giard

Are you sick of purchasing expensive razor blades? Of awful canned shaving cream that dries on your face 5 minutes after you put it on? Of razor burn and bumps? Wet shaving can improve your life and actually make you enjoy shaving. Here’s some basic info about it.

Safety Razors
Safety razors are double-edged and are made of metal. They look a lot classier than cartridge razors, and can last a lifetime if well-made. Some are adjustable; some come with open-comb endings or normal endings.

Some good brands: Merkur, Edwin Jagger, Mühle, vintage Gillette

Beginners
No need to spend a fortune on your first razor. An Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur HD will cost you around 30-40$ and do a great job.
Some will buy used vintage Gillette Razors, some of which can be found for under 10$ if you know where to look (Credit goes to Gallbaro).

Blades
Safety razor blades are amazingly sharp and very inexpensive compared to cartridges. They’re a great way to save money.

Some good brands: Astra, Gillette 7’O Clock, Personna, Shark, Feather*

*Feathers are extremely sharp, and can nick your skin very easily. You'll either love'em or hate'em.

Beginners
Buy a sampler pack. It’s a great way to find which blade is the best for you. Once you’ve found a kind you like, you can buy them in large quantities for cheap.

Shaving Brushes
A shaving brush is a useful tool for the wet shaver. Its primary purpose is to create lather, but it will also exfoliate your skin and lift and soften your facial hair for an easier shave. A good shaving brush and cream/soap are worthwhile investments, even if you want to stick to your cartridge razor. Their price can vary immensely, depending on the materials used for the brush and the handle.

The most common types of hair used for the brushes are boar and badger hair. Boar brushes are inexpensive, but coarser. Some people believe they're better for lathering harder soaps.

The grades of badger hair go like this:
Pure Badger < Best Badger < Super Badger < Silvertip Badger

Usually, the higher the grade, the softer the hair will be and the more water it will retain. There also are synthetic brushes and horse hair brushes, but they&#8217;re less common. Note that every brush has a break-in period.

Some good brands: Semogue, OMEGA, Rooney, Simpson, Vulfix, Shavemac, Thater

Beginners
For 10-20$, you can find some good brushes. A boar brush from Semogue (the 1305 has a great reputation) or OMEGA are inexpensive and do a great job. The Tweezerman is a very nice badger brush too for the price. Check out Whipped Dog in the Online Stores section for inexpensive high quality brushes.

Shaving Creams / Soaps
A good shaving soap or cream is essential. Using it with your brush, you&#8217;ll get an exceptional lather for an even smoother shave. Shaving soaps can last for months. There are three ways to build lather: hand lathering, bowl lathering and face lathering. Check out Mantic59&#8217;s channel on YouTube for videos on technique.

Some good brands: D.R. Harris, Tabac, Cella, Proraso, RazoRock, Palmolive, Speick, Art of Shaving, Arko, La Toja, Mitchell's Wool Fat*

*Mitchell&#8217;s Wool Fat makes some of the best lather, but some have difficulty using it.

Shaving oils also exist. They can either replace your lather completely (for those in a hurry, or that just prefer the oil) or complement your shave, as a pre-shaving oil would. (Thanks to Edmond Dantès for this)

Pre-Shave
Always take a hot shower before shaving, or apply a hot towel to the face for a couple of minutes to soften your beard. You may also use pre-shave creams or oils. While you&#8217;re taking a shower, soak your brush in hot water to prepare it for the shave.

How to Shave
As always, Mantic59 does a great job at explaining how to shave with a DE razor, so check him out. Some basic tips include:

- Holding your razor at about a 30 degree angle, and NEVER push down with the razor. Let its weight do the cutting.
- People will usually take 3 passes, the first one being with the grain, the second one across the grain, and the final one being against the grain. Note that not everyone can shave against the grain, as some people will get ingrown hairs after doing so.
- Always re-lather and rinse with hot water between passes.

Post-Shave
Always rinse your face with cold water after you&#8217;re done. If you wish, you can apply some products to it afterwards, such as:

Alum Block
A potassium alum block that you wet and rub on your face. It acts as an astringent and a disinfectant, and closes your skin&#8217;s pores. Wait one minute or so, then rinse your face.

Witch Hazel
A plant extract that acts as an astringent. Helps prevent razor bumps and calms razor burn.

Bay Rum
A special kind of alcohol used purely as an aftershave or as fragrance. It also acts as an astringent.

Aftershave Splashes
A liquid which usually has high alcohol content that will act as an antiseptic. They usually have a powerful fragrance. They&#8217;re also sold as a balm.

Moisturizers
Some people get dry skin after shaving or using some post-shave products. A good moisturizer will help out.

If you often get razor bumps or razor burn, lots of Gaffers recommend Tend Skin. However, some say that nowadays it's diluted too much. Check out Jonm1010's post here to learn how to make your own.

Online Stores
West Coast Shaving - based in the US, ships everywhere
Classic Shaving - based in the US, ships everywhere* (Thanks to eznark)
Whipped Dog - based in the US, ships everywhere. Cheap, high quality brushes.
Vintage Blades - based in the US, US orders only (Thanks to DasRaven)
Amazon.com - based in the US, US orders only
Italian Barber - based in Canada, ships everywhere. Highly recommended!
Fendrihan - based in Canada, ships everywhere
The Shaving Shack - based in the UK, ships everywhere (Thanks to krispyk)
Connaught Shaving - based in the UK, ships everywhere
Bestshave.net - based in Turkey, ships everywhere. Cheap razor blades.

*You need to send to send a photocopied proof of payment method and identification if you're buying from outside the US.

Resources
Badger and Blade - A forum dedicated to wet shaving.
The Shave Nook - Yet another forum dedicated to wet shaving.
Mantic59&#8217;s Youtube channel - Great videos for beginners and for improving your technique.
Mantic59 presents Sharpologist - Articles and reviews about wet shaving.
ShaneB's Shaving-GAF, help me out please! - The inspiration for this thread (Thanks to Sye d'Burns for reminding me)

There seemed to be a good number of wet shavers here and enough interest for this thread. If someone wants to do a section on straight razors, be my guest! I don&#8217;t know enough about them. If you want me to add something to the OP, be sure to mention it and I&#8217;ll credit you.

Have a nice shave!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Good OP, but you omitted shaving oils which are a silver bullet for many traditional wet shavers.

Somersets-ShaveOilToughBeard35ml-1.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I made the switch about a year and a half ago and it's one of the best things I ever did. Takes a tiny bit more effort and time, but cost, feel, and end result are so, so worth it.

What a great day for this thread. Just ordered myself a Edwin Jagger De89bl and can't wait to try it out for the first time, never tried a safety razor before.

I do the entire wet shaving routine but with a disposable razor instead of a safety razor

Disposable? Ugh, tried them a few times in times of emergencies, has always felt terrible.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've taken to dry shaving. I'll use an electric shaver then a disposable razor to finish where that doesn't quite cut it (mostly my neck), which I then rinse out by swishing it around in some water. Works fine enough in view of the convenience and my skin adjusted to it so it doesn't get irritated.

What a great day for this thread. Just ordered myself a Edwin Jagger De89bl and can't wait to try it out for the first time, never tried a safety razor before.

Disposable? Ugh, tried them a few times in times of emergencies, has always felt terrible.

Guess I meant to say cartridge razor, or are they the same thing? Anyway, they've never given my skin any trouble, especially when I go through the whole wet shave routine. They give me a close shave and I've never cut myself. Although I do like shaving with my safety razor every once in awhile

Jonm1010

Banned
Been wet shaving for 4 years now. Best hygienic descision I've made in that time.

Second best decision was to incorporate this into my regiment:

41rJrgYws9L._SS500_.jpg

Dealt with my ingrown hair and razor bump problem like nothing else.

Third best decision was to look up a DIY formula on the Internet to make it even better and much cheaper.

Aulatori

Boom. Best shave cream ever.

Zciv6.jpg

Slightly more expensive, but it takes me anywhere from 6-8 months to go through one tub. Smells great, doesn't dry out your skin - totally worth it.

Been using DE for ~2 yrs now. Love it!

I would say if you don't want to go all out, at least try using a brush and real shave cream such as Prorasso and a Mach 3 or disposable or whatever you have. That on it's own is a wonderful change.

I've only ever used this crappy electric razor my dad got me in high school. It takes me a good twenty minutes to get a decent shave.

Safety razors seem like a much better alternative, but the whole blades against skin thing has made me somewhat tentative to try a traditional razor lol.

I've only ever used this crappy electric razor my dad got me in high school. It takes me a good twenty minutes to get a decent shave.

Safety razors seem like a much better alternative, but the whole blades against skin thing has made me somewhat tentative to try a traditional razor lol.

Go out and get a pack of disposable mach 3s or a regular mach 3 and get used to the cartridges and then you can jump into getting a safety razor.

Aulatori

The 1805 and Grafton smell incredible. I think their shaving cream is a little overrated myself but the aftershave balms are worth every penny.

Yep, that's a great point - there are so many options out there that it really makes sense to try a lot of different samples of products if at all possible - it took my a while to settle on the 1805, and for me it's perfect for its smell and how it works with my skin. Definitely try different styles, manufacturers, scented/uncented, etc to see what works best for you.

Wet shaving is awesome. I still working through a sample blade kit with my Merkur 1904. Very inexpensive. I should look into those shaving oils suggested earlier. Still working through my shaving soap--good stuff.

Aulatori

What about one of these?

Straight razors can be a lot of fun, but you definitely need to work up to using one/practice because shaves are often not very close (still close, but it's relative) at first as you're learning, and you will almost definitely cut yourself! I still nick myself under my nose sometimes when I have the time to use it since it does force you to take your time and not hurry.

Been wet shaving for 4 years now. Best hygienic descision I've made in that time.

Second best decision was to incorporate this into my regiment:

41rJrgYws9L._SS500_.jpg

Dealt with my ingrown hair and razor bump problem like nothing else.

Third best decision was to look up a DIY formula on the Internet to make it even better and much cheaper.

This. After close to 5 years with either bumps all over my neck or a mini-beard, i couldn't believe that all it took was wet-shaving and tendskin to have next to all of the bumps go away. Tried everything from Beauty2Ashes to Bump Patrol to electric razor to some crap dermatologists prescribed, with no results whatsoever. I owe gaf BIG for the old thread

Shiv47

Speaking from experience, straight razors are great but a hassle until you get the hang of using it AND get a handle on keeping it sharp, because it's up to you to keep the edge through stropping and honing. That means you need something like a waterstone and it's a real chore to get the right edge. A lot of the hardcore straight users even get small microscopes to check the edge after a hone to see how it looks. You look like an old time badass using it, at least.

My skin feels great after a DE shave, followed with a swipe of alum, and the Nivea post shave balm.

What kind of pre-lotion do you guys find the best? I haven't tried any as yet and I'm looking for something to moisturize the skin for a smoother shave.

Jonm1010

Banned
This. After close to 5 years with either bumps all over my neck or a mini-beard, i couldn't believe that all it took was wet-shaving and tendskin to have next to all of the bumps go away. Tried everything from Beauty2Ashes to Bump Patrol to electric razor to some crap dermatologists prescribed, with no results whatsoever. I owe gaf BIG for the old thread

I tried pimping it in there as well.

Really can't overstate how well this worked for me. Crazy to think that a combination of witch hazel, alcohol and aspirin was my miracle cure when I had been trying every latest and greatest balm, lotion, aftershave and dermatologist recommended solution..... I even bought aloe Vera plants because I heard the natural leaf far surpassed anything on shelves or in stores.

Giard

Nice OP, I've decided to start wet-shaving and I just need advice on the razor and soap. I'm currently looking at these which would be better for a begginner?

Parker Model 89R Three Piece Safety Razor with Nickel Plated Finish
Merkur 33C Classic
Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic

RazoRock XXX Shaving Cream Soap
DR Harris Arlington Shaving Soap Refill

I assume the soaps are refills and I need a bowl to lather it?
Both soaps are considered great, so I'd take the one you think smells better. As for the razor, it might be wise to search a little on Badger and Blade. I know the Merkur Heavy Duty is a good one, but it's the most expensive one you've posted...the cheaper ones might be just as good.

Forgot about the bowl. It's not necessary if you face lather. The Harris Arlington one is called a refill because you can buy it with a wooden bowl if you wish http://www.shaving-shack.com/dr-harris-arlington-shaving-soap-bowl-beech-100g.html

General note: everybody's skin is different, so find the product that works for you. Tendskin, for example, dries out my skin like a MOTHAFUCKER. I simply cannot use skincare products with alcohol

Sye d'Burns

Nice OP. Hopefully this thread will stick around for awhile.

You should put a link to the inspiration for this thread, ShaneB's Shaving-GAF, help me out please! in the OP, under helpful links.

There's a lot of helpful information in that thread that hasn't yet found its way into this one.

Also, Amazon would make a great suggestion for a shopping link as most everyone that has started due to the last thread acquired their goods from there.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Damn this thread is cool. Tagging for later, Im sick of disposable razors.

Jumping into this with both feet. Shaving is the fucking bane of my existence and I'll gladly try anything to improve the experience.

Sye d'Burns

This has me interested, because there has got to be a better way than those one week carts.

There is and it is glorious. Of course, if you cannot manage a luxurious beard wet shaving is a very close second.

Once I lost my beard and dove in a year or so ago, I found that I've come to thoroughly enjoy my wet shaving experience.

Giard

Nice OP. Hopefully this thread will stick around for awhile.

You should put a link to the inspiration for this thread, ShaneB's Shaving-GAF, help me out please! in the OP, under helpful links.

There's a lot of helpful information in that thread that hasn't yet found its way into this one.

Also, Amazon would make a great suggestion for a shopping link as most everyone that has started due to the last thread acquired their goods from there.
Will do, thanks.

Gallbaro

Banned
Safety Razors

Safety razors are double-edged and are made of metal. They look a lot classier than cartridge razors, and can last a lifetime if well-made. Some are adjustable; some come with open-comb endings or normal endings.

Some good brands: Merkur, Edwin Jagger

Beginners
No need to spend a fortune on your first razor. A Merkur will cost you around 30-40$ and do a great job.

Noob, a used Gillette will cost $5.00. Safety razors last forever and there are literally millions of them out there produced since WWII.

Sye d'Burns

Noob, a used Gillette will cost $5.00. Safety razors last forever and there are literally millions of them out there produced since WWII.

I went into some detail about vintage razors in ShaneB's thread. It's worth putting out there, again, for certain, but I'm not sure my using 90 year old razors makes me any more l33t. No need in personally attacking the OP.

edit: Since WWII? You're about 40 years late to the party if you think it began then. I wonder who is actually the noob here.

DasRaven

Technically correct, but stepping into wet shaving is enough of a reach for most people.
Adding to that the unfounded but understandable concerns about cleanliness in used razors is not reasonable.

If your dad passes one down to you, go for it. But many would never consider buying a used classic as their 1st razor.

Top Bottom