• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

RBH

For those wanting a Switch:

0eagewg.png

Jags are gunna get Kirk next year in free agency. I can feel it in my bones.

They have to win free agency every single year.
They'll still miss the playoffs.

MechDX

Houston Texans‏Verified account @HoustonTexans 2h2 hours ago
More
WR @johnson80 will be inducted into the #Texans Ring of Honor on Nov. 19 vs. Arizona. #ThankYouAndre 🐐

Texans starting a Ring of Honor in NRG. Dre will be the first inductee.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Tom Pelissero‏ Verified account @TomPelissero

#Steelers' offer to Le'Veon Bell averaged over $12M per, with $30M in first 2 years, $42M over 3, per sources. Decided to play on $12.1M tag
8:37 AM - 18 Jul 2017

Good morning

I was on the Raidas bandwagon since last year and you do me like this Mack?

It's 8-8! This is what you and BG have been working for. Just have to hope the Niners don't steal him.

#Steelers' offer to Le'Veon Bell averaged over $12M per, with $30M in first 2 years, $42M over 3, per sources. Decided to play on $12.1M tag

That's pretty good money for a RB.

If you're actually good, signing a long term extension is going to end up with you having basically played a season for free. If you believe in your talent I wouldn't ever sign for anything longer than 2 years

MechDX

DFA83oIXUAEJ_lh.jpg:large

2018 cap space as of this moment.

EDIT: comparing these numbers to over the cap.com. OTC's numbers are all slightly higher by around 5-8 million per teams I have compared so far.

EDIT2: Niners have a 17 million difference between the two sources

Tom Penny

😂 he should be happy as a RB a teams think he is relevant and will pay him. Getting two good contacts in a career at that position is an exception to the rule now...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

EDIT: comparing these numbers to over the cap.com. OTC's numbers are all slightly higher by around 5-8 million per teams I have compared so far.

It's going to be a real competition for Kurt Cousins' services.

Those Lions numbers will be radically different after the Stafford extension

Duxxy3

That seems like a mistake to me.

Weird not to see Cleveland at the top of the list

So Michael Oher has strong words to say about David Gettleman...in his defense

DFCTY_fV0AA9u26.jpg

Good thing I stopped caring about football in February 2016 because everything about this season looks like a disaster. No President, no GM, no assistant GM, and apparently players have beef with other players/coaches now.

Bowser

#Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and Marty Hurney meeting today, league source said. If all goes well, he's expected to be named interim GM.

Details still to be worked out, but plan would be for Hurney to run team for 2017. Team would use coming months to vet full-time candidates.

cool cool cool

Hindl

Not a huge fan of PFF as they cherry pick stats a lot of times but.....

Ranking all 32 team's front seven units headed into the 2017 season

Discussion fodder
I generally can agree with the top 10. The Texans front 7 just looks unfair, and then the Seahawks have been a mainstay forever. And I'll agree with the Eagles at 3 (shocker I know). Honestly though, on paper everyone after the Texans can be shuffled around and still work.

To defend the Eagles, on paper I do think they have one of the top front 7s in the league. Last year Cox and Graham had one side of the line and dominated for a while. But the problem was the other side of the line was Logan and a mixture of Barwin and Curry. Logan couldn't push the pocket, and Barwin and Curry were useless, so teams realized they could just shift plays away from the side Cox and Graham were on and neutralize the rush. Add in the shit corners and the inconsistent pass rushing makes sense. This year, Jernigan replaces Logan and can actually collapse the pocket, and hopes are high for Derek Barnett. I'm not going to say those two are going to dominate, but if they can occasionally win 1 on 1s (unlike the people from last year), it'll open up Cox and Graham. Behind them, Hicks is quietly becoming one of the top ILBs in the league, he's incredible in coverage and just needs to get better against the run. Bradham, when he isn't punching cabana boys, was really effective and I think led the team in tackles. Kendricks is bad but we play a lot of nickel anyway.

However, PFF also provides the reason for why this front 7 could be the league's best, but the defense as a whole may struggle to crack the top 10. They're currently the worst ranked secondary, and while I disagree, I don't think they're too far off from the bottom. Jenkins and McLeod are an excellent tandem, but the corners may be even worse than last year considering we're starting a rookie and one of the worst corners in 2016. The future of the secondary looks bright, but 2017 may be pretty bad. So teams that can utilize screens and quick passes should be able to handle this defense. But regardless I'm excited to see this front 7.

Top Bottom