• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

Ken

Certain armors, weapons and trinkets improve specific basic attacks (ex. Technical(S) or Power(L)). Certain genes improve resistance against specific basic attacks, and you only learn those buy catching the species. (ex. I. Lagi has a Technical Resist (L) as a fairly common gene).

Do wild monsters have resists?

ilium

I got 2 Arzuros but none has any genes besides the healing skill. My demo Arzuros had more. Just bad luck I assume?

Lanrutcon

Elemental definitely. It's a big part of learning how to combat them.

Do they sport the effects of their genes? I'm pretty sure. Stuff like Dancer (do more damage when at full health) can be transferred via genes, but certain species learn it as an ability. I've fought wild monsters with it...but I don't know if it was the gene or the species ability.

I got 2 Arzuros but none has any genes besides the healing skill. My demo Arzuros had more. Just bad luck I assume?

Yeah. Look for rare dens (they are gold), glowing nests, heavy eggs and smelly eggs. Ideally: all of those at the same time for impressive genes.

Rather because we won't see a sequel unless Europe and US will pick up the slack sales wise...

I can't remember the YouTube channel(s) that I'm using as my source. (Lol@me) but according to the channel(s) This game sold around 300,000 copies in Japan since its release since last year. That's not block buster numbers but it's pretty good for a spinoff/new IP.

I have to think that if this sales over 500,000 copies world wide that it'll show Capcom that they may have something on their hands.

There's still hope for this series. Can't say the same for Little Battler Experience. 😩

BooJoh

I'm pretty sure the damage numbers will be colored based on resists too. Yellow starburst = standard damage, blue starburst = not very effective, I forget the color for super effective hits (red maybe?), and crits are bigger and fade from yellow in the center to red on the outside.

nubbe

3 different translators?

wkepFvR.png

Totaly anime

giphy.gif

ilium

Yeah. Look for rare dens (they are gold), glowing nests, heavy eggs and smelly eggs. Ideally: all of those at the same time for impressive genes.

Thanks, guess I need to get lucky then. My demo Arzuros was so good ; ;

I can't remember the YouTube channel(s) that I'm using as my source. (Lol@me) but according to the channel(s) This game sold around 300,000 copies in Japan since its release since last year. That's not block buster numbers but it's pretty good for a spinoff/new IP.

I have to think that if this sales over 500,000 copies world wide that it'll show Capcom that they may have something on their hands.

There's still hope for this series. Can't say the same for Little Battler Experience. 😩

I thought it totally bombed in Japan, but that's not too bad actually..

JC Sera

Rather because we won't see a sequel unless Europe and US will pick up the slack sales wise...
it sucks cause this game has soured pokemon for me graphics, gameplay and story wise. I'd just end up comparing how it doesn't measure up to this game.

But we'll never get a sequel to this amazing game unless the anime picks up like youkai watch did
from what I've seen of how annoying navirou is in the anime, I doubt that
this game's pretty dang fun

is this a safe place, can i talk about how it's the best monhun
Its the best monhun if you're a babby rpg lover like me

Alric

It's really disappointing with all this talk of never getting a sequel. As a previous poster stated, this game has soured Pokemon for me. I'm so engaged in every battle and love the he'll out of all the monsties.

kbohs

Part way through the demo and really digging this. Some of the later game gene combining meta looks really cool! I'm just sad I don't have enough time to dedicate to this game. I just passed World 1 in Mario + Rabbids and with Metroid and Mario filling the next few months I am unsure I will pick this one up. I might just to show support like I've been doing with the Dragon Quests but, like everything else, it would be easier to do if on Switch.

Experien

I am loving this more than vanilla monster hunter and probably 10+ hours in. Did some stuff in Gildelhaven or whatever and I still can't cook meat. I have 170+ raw meats but did I miss something or do I learn to do it soon?

Thanks, guess I need to get lucky then. My demo Arzuros was so good ; ;

I thought it totally bombed in Japan, but that's not too bad actually..
300,000 copies in Japan is actually very good. Obviously not what Capcom hoped given it's MonHun, but about as well as could reasonably be expected. It won't do nearly as well over here though, little marketing and I don't think the MH fanbase here is big enough to support spinoffs in addition to the mainline games (especially spinoffs geared toward younger players, who probably don't play MonHun).

BooJoh

So... There's evolutions in this game? Do all monsters evolve and is it by level up?
No evolution, there are just some untameable monsters that are lesser versions of tameable monsters (like Velociprey which are lesser to Velocidrome,) and also some rare variants (like Blue Kut-Ku.)

I am loving this more than vanilla monster hunter and probably 10+ hours in. Did some stuff in Gildelhaven or whatever and I still can't cook meat. I have 170+ raw meats but did I miss something or do I learn to do it soon?

It's in another area you haven't reached yet.

ss-hikaru

I'm quite addicted to the demo. It's really long! Need to buy the game so I can buy my hunting horn :3 I want a Barioth.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys. Wondering when you hatch a monstie with better genes, do you swap it out for the one in your party or just keep it for later when you can transfer genes? I don't think they go into genes in the demo, or I'm not up to that part yet.

BooJoh

I'm quite addicted to the demo. It's really long! Need to buy the game so I can buy my hunting horn :3 I want a Barioth.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys. Wondering when you hatch a monstie with better genes, do you swap it out for the one in your party or just keep it for later when you can transfer genes? I don't think they go into genes in the demo, or I'm not up to that part yet.

When you transfer genes you can move one gene from one monster to a gene slot in another monster. The sending monster is lost and the receiving monster obtains the gene. They don't have to be the same species.

So basically in early game you might want to replace your mon if you get one with much better genes (you have to re-level from 1 so early game it's usually not worth swapping unless you're changing species or the genes are much better,) but late game you're going to want to find one with good genes and then use items to add more gene slots so you can feed it genes from other mons to fill its gene pool and complete bingo bonuses.

No evolution, there are just some untameable monsters that are lesser versions of tameable monsters (like Velociprey which are lesser to Velocidrome,) and also some rare variants (like Blue Kut-Ku.).

Ok, I'm not sure why there was evolution or some form of mutation in this game but it's cool that there's none. Does the monsters we have grow in size at least? I noticed that the newly hatch monsters are smaller than their wild counter parts.

Ok, I'm not sure why there was evolution or some form of mutation in this game but it's cool that there's none. Does the monsters we have grow in size at least? I noticed that the newly hatch monsters are smaller than their wild counter parts.

Nah. The ones you have are just smaller on screen because you can ride them

drac96

I am now at the point where I can fight a bunch of subquest monsters that are beating me up pretty heavily. I've been downing potions quite often and now I'm out of blue mushrooms.

Is there a good place to farm them? Should I just be buying potions instead?

Meffer

I am now at the point where I can fight a bunch of subquest monsters that are beating me up pretty heavily. I've been downing potions quite often and now I'm out of blue mushrooms.

Simply gathering herbs points and mushroom points where ever you find them adds up.

Meffer

As far as I know the pvp is optional. you get egg fragments for winning and those can turn into eggs if you get enough. Reviews seem to quote around 50+ hours for the main story, but there's also post game - I don't know how much of that factored into the "50+" timeframe for the reviewers, if at all.

I've been playing pretty slowly today.

Seriously the animation work is on-point. I mean, the main games are stellar too, so I assume they were able to pull from that database or have some of that talent work on this.

Seriously, fuck Z moves from Sun/Moon. They ain't got shit on the ride moves in this game. Not only that, but you have to earn the right to use the fuckers. Build that meter up, then call them shots to get to level 3 and lay down the PAIN anime style.

Gamefreak just does not have the excuse to not make games as beautiful as this. Yokai Watch also blows Pokemon out of the water.

nubbe

My expeditions only gather mushrooms and herbs, so I got hundreds of them

redcrayon

If you want a collection of one of each type in addition to a strong party, what I've found useful is to tag the monster of each type with the best slots/genes as favourites, then you know that everything else is gene fodder. It will also help organise your stables by pushing favourites to the front.

ilium

Can I "reload" dens by walking back and forth over those invisible loading lines in the world to make golden dens appear?

Xane

3 different translators?

wkepFvR.png

No. They had to deal with a character limit here, that's also why some of the weapons are abbreviated oddly.

Also, can anyone tell me what exactly determines the initial amount of kinship charge a monster starts with when going into battle? I realized that my Rathalos starts with enough kinship to initiate the battle with a skill while some of my other monsters start with absolute zero.

BooJoh

Also, can anyone tell me what exactly determines the initial amount of kinship charge a monster starts with when going into battle? I realized that my Rathalos starts with enough kinship to initiate the battle with a skill while some of my other monsters start with absolute zero.

I don't know for sure what all factors into it, but I'm pretty sure level is one thing, so leveling it up should help, I'm guessing genes might affect it too but I'm not sure.

Lanrutcon

No. They had to deal with a character limit here, that's also why some of the weapons are abbreviated oddly.

I've noticed wearing gear associated with the monstie in question does weird stuff. Like, for my Stygian wearing just the armor lowers its order costs.

redcrayon

Does wearing the equivalent armour affect it? No idea, but might be worth a look! :)

Nah. The ones you have are just smaller on screen because you can ride them

That... kind of sucks... lol... I was hoping for a system that your monster is born small because they just hatched but grew to regular size as they leveled up. I mean, the eggs were caught out in the wild and wasn't bread in captivity.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK - making progress with the demo and I'm really enjoying it. Watched some videos about the later game and it looks really cool and pretty deep. It seems like there is a PvP specific egg, but you just have to participate to get it - losing still gives you 1 fragment?

Is there a way to "read" the enemy? Or is it all just educated guessing based off of the way the fight has been going? And can you check weakness in battle and can you check "typical" attack patterns, or do you have to memorize all that stuff?

Unicorn

OK - making progress with the demo and I'm really enjoying it. Watched some videos about the later game and it looks really cool and pretty deep. It seems like there is a PvP specific egg, but you just have to participate to get it - losing still gives you 1 fragment?

Is there a way to "read" the enemy? Or is it all just educated guessing based off of the way the fight has been going? And can you check weakness in battle and can you check "typical" attack patterns, or do you have to memorize all that stuff?

Like Pokemon, I assume it's a test of knowledge on the spot. Turns are timed and there are team strategies and synergies. If they are not doing an ability, I think it's just going to be mainly reading to guess the RPS resutl

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Like Pokemon, I assume it's a test of knowledge on the spot. Turns are timed and there are team strategies and synergies. If they are not doing an ability, I think it's just going to be mainly reading to guess the RPS resutl

Alright, so I didn't miss anything in the tutorial stuff. Which is reassuring.

Also, did JP get any DLC for this game? There are a few monsters I'd LOVE to see added (<3 Yama Tsukami).

Lanrutcon

In pvp, it's guesswork.

In pve, monsters have a tendency (which changes in certain scenarios). Plus you learn their movesets.

Like, a Stygian has a pretty standard Speed based shoulder check with a Power tendency. So it's silly trying to use Power against it. At best you draw, at worst you get checked.

High level play also features a lot of colorless moves, which can't be checked, and have to be countered via items/special moves/using the right elemental defense. Stygians have really damaging colorless dragon moves. You can't check those, so you have to put something with solid dragon resistance in front of it (or use a move that ups your dragon defense).

So given all that, pulling a Rathalos out against a Stygian is going to lead to tears, while a normal Zinogre has a better shot despite being Power based. It's Pokemon. Just play the game like Pokemon :p

redcrayon

Dumb question but how do I make money? I've just reached the first large city and I can barely afford anything
You can continually accept the subquests again. Keep all subquests open for the region you are working in, you never know when the opportunity for an easy 1,000 gold for a hunt will pop up. Sell off the poorer accessories and any weapons you never use, you can always make them again later on if you need them. Once I have more than about 50 of anything, I start selling off the excess too.

tuffy

Honestly, this helps, haha.

Also, after the demo...Can I use the cart to play the game or do I have to go digital to migrate my save?
The cart version can migrate data from the demo. Pretty sure this game stores all its data on the SD card, so it doesn't matter which version you play.

I'm progressing at a snails pace. I'm still in the first area. I go into every cave that spawns for their eggs, fight everything I see (though now I'm starting cool off), and I collect everything when they respawn. I have enough "iron" to mass produce enough weapons and equipment to equip a Roman Legion for war along with enough raw meat to feed the Legion for a week.

I should probably focus on getting to a new area.

ilium

I'm progressing at a snails pace. I'm still in the first area. I go into every cave that spawns for their eggs, fight everything I see (though now I'm starting cool off), and I collect everything when they respawn. I have enough "iron" to mass produce enough weapons and equipment to equip a Roman Legion for war along with enough raw meat to feed the Legion for a week.

I should probably focus on getting to a new area.

Haha same here. Haven't even progressed past the demo content, but I really want a decent Arzuros.

Sh-Shut up, he attacks with his butt alright?

redcrayon

Now standing in front of the arena, grilling meat, wondering if I want to add honey butter or a might seed as seasoning YES YOU CAN NOW SEASON THAT MEAT. This is proper adventuring :D

Another thing I like about this, I expected a lot of rubbish anime 'power of friendship! Magic power time!' stuff, and it's there, but what's really good is the depiction of the hunters. Some are more trusting than others, some brave, some lazy, but they are generally heroic and competent rather than the whole game just being about how cool riders are. I like that.

drac96

My expeditions only gather mushrooms and herbs, so I got hundreds of them

Interesting. I was expecting there to be some form of sending people out to gather for you, but have not gotten to that point yet I guess. I'll keep pressing on and leave some of the subquests for later.

Also, I was super excited to hatch a monster I really wanted from a rare den only to find out it was a higher rarity than I can use. Going to have to keep trucking on the story for that too haha.

redcrayon

A couple more simple tips:
Once you unlock expeditions, you can use them to level up the higher rarity monsters you can't have in your party yet. Worth it to get a head start on levelling good finds.

Once you have a quropeco, a good way to get cash and large monster drops quickly is to accept all large monster subquests for the area, walk outside town and start summoning. Do two or three then go back in, turn in the quests, re-accept them and go back out. If you've accepted the forge quests for the equipment you want to make, it'll even flag up relevant drops in blue after each fight, and tell you when you have the items you need. You're on your own for upgrades though, but like the main series games it's worth having half a dozen weapons you're working on as you never know what will turn up.

Top Bottom