• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

So I gotta throw away my PSOne, my Final Fantasy 7, AND buy Punisher for Genesis before I can get my Saturn pad working on PlayStation?!

Life is cruel.

If I was gonna own Punisher, I would definitely get my hands on the arcade PCB! I guess PCBs are the logical next step, anyways, since I've already dipped my toes in with the Omega cMVS.

So from Saturn-to-PSOne controller adapter to supergun recommendations.

Suggestions?

I use this. It's great.

oH7DPedl.png

Galdelico

Mine is Dual IPS. It's the Pokemon Red/Blue New 3ds (non XL, came with Charizard and Blastoise faceplates and Pokemon Red/Blue Virtual Console preinstalled)

So they do exist.

Awesome, thanks for the information!
No way I'll try the screen lottery again, as I'm perfectly happy with my New 3DS XL (IPS top display, TN touchscreen), but glad to know one can find the perfect combination with regular N3DS consoles too.

eXistor

I've been playing Raiden DX on PlayStation the last day or so, and good gravy, the PlayStation d-pad is hot alien piss. I didn't have many (if any) STGs for the PS as a kid, and thankfully so, cause now my thumb is all red and sore.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good Saturn pad adapter for PlayStation?

Personally I use this (not my pic)

8KacYiy.jpg

The D-pad is pretty stiff, but it's miles better than the standard PS1 pad.

I've been playing Raiden DX on PlayStation the last day or so, and good gravy, the PlayStation d-pad is hot alien piss. I didn't have many (if any) STGs for the PS as a kid, and thankfully so, cause now my thumb is all red and sore.

Are you against an arcade stick?

Looks good!

Whats it do for power? Is the PSU built in or do you buy an external one for it? What does it support as far as boards, like CPS or ST-V, etc.? What kind of A/V output?

It uses a normal PC style power cable for power output. So far I've only tried CPS-2 (D&D) and Neo Geo and both work pretty well. As for A/V, I use RGB but it has an upscaler built in that outputs HDMI. I'm told its upscaler isn't as good as what is in a Framemeister though.

you're a monster for leaving my 2 rescue cats' paw dirt in that pic

i have 2 sofas & an inflatable bed and you have whatever option you like out here man

I'm not that good at photoshop man. It was hard enough putting the plastic bag in front of everything.

Is it better than the PCE CD version?

So I've had plenty of time to play Valis II X68000 and I'd say yes. For one, the two games are completely different. The X68000 version is an upgraded port of the original MSX title so it takes with it some annoying design decisions.

The stages are pretty massive and maze-like. It almost plays like a SHMUP rather than a traditional action title and at times it's just as hard as one. The soundtrack is great and uses the X68000's FM capabilities rather well. The cutscenes are top-quality anime stuff from the late 80s. The game is worth it for these alone.

As for the bad, everything bad about this game stems from it being an MSX title. The controller only supports two buttons (this means no start or select like on a PC Engine). I use a Sega Genesis controller through an adapter so that means that the A-button attacks and the B-button uses magic or opens the pause menu if I am also holding down. To jump, you have to hit the D-Pad's up button. This can be somewhat awkward, especially early in the game before you upgraded your jump. Speaking of early in the game. It's shit. The first stage is one of the worst experiences I've ever had in a game. Once I got past it though, I started getting really into it.

Another thing that's slightly awkward is that if you have your X68000 set to 16 MHz mode the sound breaks. The game must be played at 10 MHz.

I'm hoping to finish it sometime this week and then I'll start posting pictures but if you ever get a chance to get an X68000 with lots of memory I would recommend finding a way to play. You could also play it on an emulator but I don't know much about that other than that I noticed on the youtube video I was watching to help find an item there's some graphical glitches here and there.

Tain

Our office moved and I inherited a nice little 15-inch Sony PVM. I hooked it up and the image is great even in s-video (don't have SCART->BNC cables yet), gotta figure out what I'm doing with it long-term though. I think I still prefer my larger rando early-2000s SDTV for general use.

Peltz

Our office moved and I inherited a nice little 15-inch Sony PVM. I hooked it up and the image is great even in s-video (don't have SCART->BNC cables yet), gotta figure out what I'm doing with it long-term though. I think I still prefer my larger rando early-2000s SDTV for general use.

That could make a nice TATE monitor.

dubc35

I know it's blasphemy but S-Video looks really nice on PVM's IMO. As an added bonus, in my experience, you don't need to adjust H/V size and/or video phase with S-video either; it just works.

I know it's blasphemy but S-Video looks really nice on PVM's IMO. As an added bonus, in my experience, you don't need to adjust H/V size and/or video phase with S-video either; it just works.

I totally agree. Used it for a long time with my SNES and it performed really well. Using it for PS2/1 now.

Tain

in general the gap between composite and s-vid is way bigger than the gap between s-vid and RGB, makes sense to me

D.Lo

I use (a white version of) this for all 2D games on PS1/2

643102-ssps2pad_001.jpg

in general the gap between composite and s-vid is way bigger than the gap between s-vid and RGB, makes sense to me
RF: 3/10
Composite 4-6/10 (depends on console and screen - Sega composite is usually 4/10, and NES composite looks pretty damn solid on my PVM)
S-video: 8-8.5/10
RGB 9.5-10/10

Yes Boss!

I'm a huge fan of S-Video. And an even bigger fan of Component.

Yes Boss!

Besides RF and composite, I'm fine with every other video connection(svideo, RGB, component, vga, dvi, hdmi).

Same.

I actually really do enjoy my 8-bit system on my 9" CRT via composite though...mainly because it reminds me of my teenage years...so even that has a place for me. Love the RGB as well of course.

Glowsquid

I got a saturn recently and the model 2 controller is indeed a revelation. I have the Hori fightpad that mimic its layout but neither the d-pad or the buttons feel anywhere as nice.

Well, except the shoulder buttons. They kind of suck.

D.Lo

Updated Japan haul

Killer find was Zero 3 for 10000 yen, bargain. I keep selling the copies I have but I'll finally keep this one lol.

Cheap SG Commander and Famicom gun are cool finds too. Thank god for hardoff.

Peltz

Updated Japan haul

Killer find was Zero 3 for 10000 yen, bargain. I keep selling the copies I have but I'll finally keep this one lol.

You planning on using that adapter to voice chat in Splatoon? It feels like no one will be chatting on there. I have one ordered but am kind of worried that everyone will have moved on by the time it gets here.

By the way, retro gaffers, feel free to add me on Switch:

SW-7890-9562-7017

Updated Japan haul

These are mostly things I'd want so you are no longer allowed to go to Japan.

D.Lo

You planning on using that adapter to voice chat in Splatoon? It feels like no one will be chatting on there. I have one ordered but am kind of worried that everyone will have moved on by the time it gets here.

By the way, retro gaffers, feel free to add me on Switch:

SW-7890-9562-7017
Not using it at all. I dislike voice chat anyway. I grabbed it as a cool Splatoon souvenir because it was cheap (3000 yen) and they just randomly had two at the Bic Camera launch kiosk. But the headphones sound like... cheapo headphones, as you'd expect. Very cool to have an in-game item though lol.

Experiencing the Switch lines was surreal, but while very busy there were no crazy lines for Splatoon and DQ, both had heaps of stock everywhere. Splatoon was everywhere though.

D.Lo

I did consider that, but the biggest issue is the frame doesn't create enough pressure to hold them against your ears well enough, so lots of leakage anyway. They do look very cool though. Wish I had enough suitcase room I would grab the duelies water pistols you can buy lol.

Updated Japan haul

I was thinking that SG Commander was expensive but then I checked online and NOPE. You made off like a bandit with that!

Peltz

Looks like it's high quality, but I haven't used it.
This pleases me.

By the way, I recently invested 30 or so dollars to import a NES classic controller from EU for Wii VC and MegaMan 9+10. I'm really excited to finally have it
for a 300% makeup :-/

I'm really psyched for playing NES games with a fresh D-Pad. I haven't felt a fresh one since I was a kid. I hope they're using similar parts.

The classic console itself never appealed to me, but the controller has been calling my name for months. So now I patiently wait for delivery.

This pleases me.

By the way, I recently invested 30 or so dollars to import a NES classic controller from EU for Wii VC and MegaMan 9+10. I'm really excited to finally have it
for a 300% makeup :-/

I'm really psyched for playing NES games with a fresh D-Pad. I haven't felt a fresh one since I was a kid. I hope they're using similar parts.

The classic console itself never appealed to me, but the controller has been calling my name for months. So now I patiently wait for delivery.

I really hate to burst your bubble but
I have no idea

Oh also megaman 9 and 10 are 480i only

Vespa

Updated Japan haul

bmmM14R.jpg

That Sega Mark III and 'reasonably' priced Zero 3. So Jelly!

D.Lo

That Sega Mark III and 'reasonably' priced Zero 3. So Jelly!
Mark III was 1900 yen too. Sold as 'junk' but works perfectly, just needs some cleaning. Of course I already have one but I'll keep a second non-FM-unit system handy since it's my favourite Sega.

Oh I also got some Sega Hard Girls danglies for Mark III and SG1000 (my other favourite Sega). Wish they featured in the show they are super cute.

Not my pics:

Peltz

I really hate to burst your bubble but
I have no idea

Oh also megaman 9 and 10 are 480i only

I'm aware. Still beats the hell out of playing it on an HDTV.

You can put them through a scan converter, however, to play them in genuine 240p. I'm looking into this now.

Edit:

I actually sent an email to Fudoh to clear some stuff up, because I find 480i -> 240p hardware configurations to be very confusing. There are a few different solutions out there, but the cheapest ones don't seem very intuitive.

I'm aware. Still beats the hell out of playing it on an HDTV.

You can put them through a scan converter, however, to play them in genuine 240p. I'm looking into this now.

Apparently forcing 480p doesn't work for wii ware either. I think the best way to play these are either dolphin or a wii u@480p over component

Vespa

A few recent pick ups:
36289704666_db24f3a86d_c.jpg

35525144823_6c7e2dd531_b.jpg

I love the Japanese disc art for these two games, the Crazy Taxi 2 one especially.
36289703476_faa6f4172d_b.jpg

36165077272_4888da6ff6_b.jpg

Finally getting into NES gaming having skipped it due to my parents getting me an Atari ST! I first picked up a sharp twin Famicom but then decided it's too big and now I've got the cute AV Famicom, just need to RGB mod it. I'm excited to jump into such a legendary library.
36165077492_26a42a15ed_c.jpg

That justified Sega hubris.

Producer

has anyone used those raphnet adapters for wii? Specifically the ones that connect to the gamecube port. I was seriously considering buying a snes classic once its released so i could use the controllers with my wii, but its cheaper to buy that adapter and just use my snes controllers. Just wondering how the performance is, im thinking since it connects to the wii itself there probably shouldnt be too much issues/input lag.

Peltz

has anyone used those raphnet adapters for wii? Specifically the ones that connect to the gamecube port. I was seriously considering buying a snes classic once its released so i could use the controllers with my wii, but its cheaper to buy that adapter and just use my snes controllers. Just wondering how the performance is, im thinking since it connects to the wii itself there probably shouldnt be too much issues/input lag.

Yes. No perceptible input lag and no issues at all. They're fantastic.

The input lag is actually around 1 ms. Which is basically instantaneous.

Top Bottom