• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I haven't been keeping up with this, but has Nintendo issued an official response to this thread?

Bgamer90

Banned
Obviously, but it amazes me we now have 16 pages of people being angry over a PR tool doing what a PR tool is paid to do.

Lying is considered one of the biggest mistakes in PR.

Many in the field do it but its not something that's encouraged. Why? The public will more than likely eventually see that it's a lie and thus form a negative opinion about the company.

THIS. HARD. Current Gen is 8th Gen. 'Power and graphics' never determined the status of a console, only chronology. Also, when discussing which era they're part of there are no style-bibles or pre-requisites.

False. Technological generation means a big leap over previous generation regardless of how you and others try to spin it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Somebody just compared Reggie to a child rapist... Hang on kids, this thread will hit forty pages before the day is through.

I didn't compare Reggie to a child rapist, I compared the level of brouhaha his lies generated to the level of interest in the UK sex scandal. Although going by this thread you'd believe telling lies on TV is far worse than fucking small boys in the ass :p

GAF gonna be GAF, just like PR tools are gonna be PR tools. Where is your defeatist attitude when you need it? ; )

I have long given up hope people are gonna accept Reggie was just doing his job, if that's what you're asking :lol

Lying is considered one of the biggest mistakes in PR.

Many in the field do it but its not something that's encouraged. Why? The public will more than likely eventually see that it's a lie and thus form a negative opinion about the company.

Ideally PR tools shouldn't be lying, but when you've got so little to work with as Reggie has with the Wii U ('you can play worse versions of PS360 games' doesn't sound very good) I can see why he chose to just take the easy way out.

Bgamer90

Banned
False. Technological generation means a big leap over previous generation regardless of how you and others try to spin it.

The Wii U is a big leap over the Wii.

It's nintnedo's successor, and is what they will support for the next 5+ years (or at least plan to).

I honestly didn't know that this was such a on-going debate.

Starwind

Neo Member
He could have gone for the usual PR fluff instead of straight up lying.

I think it's a matter of opinion. A game running on brand new hardware released last week not matching up with the same game running on a 7 year old console could be considered "an embarrassment". I don't think "looking almost as good as the 360 version!" is something to shout about at all. It should have blown away the 360 version so that all the people buying this system for the "U" part had a reason to feel confident that it's not just going to be a Wii 2.

Reggie shouldn't have said what he said.. However, the game is just a lousy port on hardware devs don't know how to utilize yet. I have no doubt the console can pump out some great graphics.

I honestly didn't know that this was such a on-going debate.

Well, there's two schools of thought in regards to what the term "next-gen" implies, and I can see it going either way. However, I do ultimately concede that it's just a pointless, semantic-based argument that has no consequences whatsoever.

I didn't compare Reggie to a child rapist, I compared the level of brouhaha his lies generated to the level of interest in the UK sex scandal. Although going by this thread you'd believe telling lies on TV is far worse than fucking small boys in the ass :p
I know you weren't. I was just fooling about. Blame it on night shift. I'm going to bed. I'll stand my prediction of how far this thread will go though. Til then.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Too bad the other thread got killed before it could blossom.

ill just put this here
BsTVv.png

Crom

When brainless dummies aren't going to bother doing any research or fact check his ass then you can get away with blatantly lying like that. It's also why republicans are still so popular in this country.

Yeah, because the only politicians that lie are republicans. (sarcasm)

Get real.

Obama: "I will cut the annual deficit in half"

Under him the debt has skyrocket from 10 trillion to 16 trillion - a record for a president even in just 1 term

Obama: I will have the most transparent administration in history" BWHAHAHAHA!

Seems like more of the same to me (if not worse)

Anyway, Reggie is just doing what a PR person is supposed to do.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is that a real Reggie quote? If so, I guess he was talking about graphics? Either way, that pic is amazing.

"In the end, our competitors need to react to what we're doing in the marketplace and need to figure out what their innovation will be," Fils-Aime told CNET. "It's likely that faster processors and pretty pictures won't be enough to motivate consumers. They need to react to what we've done and we need to continue innovating with the Wii U and we will."

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
"In the end, our competitors need to react to what we're doing in the marketplace and need to figure out what their innovation will be," Fils-Aime told CNET. "It's likely that faster processors and pretty pictures won't be enough to motivate consumers. They need to react to what we've done and we need to continue innovating with the Wii U and we will."

Well, at least he's doing what he's paid to do.

Get real.

Under him the debt has skyrocket from 10 trillion to 16 trillion - a record for a president even in just 1 term

Yep, we really needed this bullshit here.

I was waiting on the moment when Reggie was going to flip-flop from his "OMGGRAPHIX" claims of E3 2011 back into "bububu- pretty pictures aren't everything!" mode.

I was predicting right around MS's/Sony's new console announcements, but it looks like I didn't even have to wait until then.

People take issue with the nomenclature because they don't like the implications that:

1) Wii U is "underpowered"/not a significant leap/not the generational leap traditionally associated with a console transition.
2) Consequently Wii U may not receive the same degree of support that the other consoles may. As the Wii didn't.
3) It's easier to argue semantics rather than addressing these underlying issues.

Whether or not one ascribes to a solely chronological delineation of console generations, that doesn't change that it ultimately is the hardware it is.

Seriously, this post should have quashed the generation debate already.

Seems people forget Sony's E3 2005 conference so quickly :).

Seriously though it was fantastic to see a beautiful woman call him out on the hardware like that, using words like 'on par', you could just tell he was a bit surprised and panicked by it.

He should have just said 'we have several projects in production which will show the power difference between those last generation consoles and the first next generation console, WiiU'

Also loved his little 8bit Mario pin on his suite.

Be prepared for BS overload at E3 from Sony and MS as they both pull their next gen wangs out and grab the measuring tape ;).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

Get real.

Every modern president breaks the deficit record and while he didnt half the annual deficit he did lower it. As for the transparency thing that comment is too vague to argue one way or another. Anyway I'm Canadian. Check out the OT poligaf thread for a proper fact checking.

I don't try to spin anything here. No, it doesn't. 3DS and Vita are regarded as 8th Generation - I agree that they are. Neither have a 'big leap'. There are no pre-requisites, in my opinion. Even if I considered pre-requisites for a moment, 'power and graphics' would not be a huge priority or a defining one for me, primarily because there's a chance that those 'big leaps' would've been seen on PCs for some time, anyway. I would consider other factors such as the advances in media (cartridge to CD, CD to DVD, DVD to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, Digital Distribution, etc.), advances and realisations in controls (extra action button, shoulder buttons, Sega Activator, 3D stick, Dreamcast Fishing Rod, Dance Mats, Wiimote & Nunchuk, dual screens & stylus, touchscreen, Wii Fit Balance Board, rear touchpad, GamePad), or gaming concepts (co-operative gameplay, asymmetric gameplay, 3D gaming) to be more important. Still, 'you and others' are presuming that there will always be a 'big leap', or that 'more power and graphics' are a huge priority for all developers, and that isn't true. To my mind, it's not about the size of the leap; it's what one does with the tools that counts.

lucius

If he just said our games like the new COD look better, and even that is a stretch no one would have said much or cared, but now he looks like a total fool, he got defensive since the "on par with current consoles" comment she made in the interview is the pretty much spot on truth and it makes it bad news for WiiU in terms how much support it gets later. Either way it will still do great because of Nintendo's games in the end.

Top Bottom