• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

Strange premiere. Felt like it was all a dream after Kevin put the bag on his head (never showed him taking it off). The whole scene at the spring was odd

Where the hell is Johns wife? Or ex wife now I guess. Jeeze I did not expect such a dramatic time jump to start things. They way the GR was slaughtered was so unexpected. And awesome. Wow what a fucking premier. I went from hating this show in season 1 to absolutely loving it. And now I can go back to season 1 and like it so much more. What an excellent demonstration of storytelling.

Streaks

Great first eps. Loved all the Lost-ness of it all. I have this feeling the show would be far more popular on Netflix than it is on HBO.

~Kinggi~

Banned
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

fuCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Can we expect them to show all 8 back to back or will there be breaks like other shows do to pad out the season? I'm hoping they don't do this but so many other shows do.

This almost never happens on cable. They occasionally break for major holidays, but that's about it.

Looking at HBO's schedule on their website, it looks like the episodes air each week without a break.

---------------------

Premiere was really strong, lots of interesting stuff and the end is quite the hook.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

fuCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Yea, pretty much...

Also,

Woooooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
What a great premiere! So much calculated WTF! Loved that they payed off the handprinting fortune teller like that!

Man I hope before whatever shit goes down in 13 days
Nora & Kevin move to Australia, deal with the Anniversary shit there, Kevin sacrifices himself somehow, is presumed dead, so they go into hiding incognito and live to a ripe old age. That was old Donna on the bike at the end right?
One can always hope for a happy-ish ending!

Coolluck

The One and Done™;234052666 said:
Where the hell is Johns wife? Or ex wife now I guess. Jeeze I did not expect such a dramatic time jump to start things. They way the GR was slaughtered was so unexpected. And awesome. Wow what a fucking premier. I went from hating this show in season 1 to absolutely loving it. And now I can go back to season 1 and like it so much more. What an excellent demonstration of storytelling.

I think it's one of those things where the couple isn't able to withstand a child dying, so they split. She could also closely associate the location with the death and so she leaves afterwards. In real life, I imagine they couldn't afford to pay her?

Kadin

Great first episode! Even though they skipped a few years into the future, glad to see they at least started in the same place where we left off. Curious to find out how John and Laurie got together. And wow at those first few mins when they first showed Miracle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol that ending

I'm just going to assume nothing will be answered this season. I'm just letting go and hoping I don't kicked in the balls like they did to me with Lost.

lol that ending

I'm just going to assume nothing will be answered this season. I'm just letting go and hoping I don't kicked in the balls like they did to me with Lost.
Yeah I don't expect any answers at all.
Great first episode! Even though they skipped a few years into the future, glad to see they at least started in the same place where we left off. Curious to find out how John and Laurie got together. And wow at those first few mins when they first showed Miracle.
The 1800s town wasn't Miracle. Or are you just saying wow at blowing them up. That was unexpected.

Kadin

The 1800s town wasn't Miracle. Or are you just saying wow at blowing them up. That was unexpected.
Yeah I meant after that 1800's part when we first saw them back in Miracle. When we saw the boom. I was laying down on my couch and as that happened, I jumped up and literally yelled out, 'HOLY SHIT!'

pa22word

lol that ending

You see I don't really think the show needs an answer like lost does. The randomness of it all and people's reaction to it is more the point of the show than the event itself. The event is almost beside the point, really. They could have dropped all the metaphors and made the show about 9/11 or the okc bombings and the show basically would have been the same thematically.

Kadin

lol that ending

In the interview I posted earlier in the thread, Damon says this isn't a show designed to resolve big mysteries or have massive cliff-hangers. Take from that what you will. And he even alludes to Lost during this as well, kinda funny.

It's around the 12:30 mark here if you wan to watch it - https://www.facebook.com/amazonchannels/videos/1817326835185734/

MindofKB

So was he suffocating himself that morning before going to work, in the past, in his head?

I think he was doing that because
he knows he can't die in that town. He tries each day and he knows it won't work. That's probably why he was fearless when jumping into the spring and also why the rifle dude couldn't shoot him. He's most likely terrified because he knows his invincibility prophecy is true but he doesn't understand why.

pa22word

Speaking of which, did I see that right that it said 1884? Because unless it was just bad history or an Amish village or something America really did not look anything like that in 1884. Part of the plot maybe?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This show is entrancing. They had my undivided attention for the entire hour and it didn't wane for a second. Spectacular premiere episode. You can tell this is going to be something special.

Speaking of which, did I see that right that it said 1884? Because unless it was just bad history or an Amish village or something America really did not look anything like that in 1884. Part of the plot maybe?
You saw correct. Apparently these people were based on the Millerites

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/the-leftovers-opening-prologue-explained.html

The congregation of a 19th century Christian sect called the Millerites begins to dwindle after a preacher sets several successive (incorrect) dates for the Rapture. Millerism was a worldwide movement built on William Miller’s prediction that Judgment Day would come on October 22, 1844 — a date known ever after as the Great Disappointment.

But yeah, the dates and appearance don't match. It's definitely weird.

Chumley

Banned
Holy fuck fam that ending

30f8aba.gif

Some thoughts.

Kevin is clearly still completely fucked up, and who even knows what the hell was going on with that suicide attempt.

I still love Matt and he's not exactly wrong to think Kevin is Jesus 2.0 tbh

And Nora's new haircut is cute
About that ending...
the world is not ending in 14 days,
amirate?

Yes.

She's at least 20 years older, changes her name, is in Australia, and is noticeably bitter about Kevin when asked. Some shit goes down.

old nora
what the fuck

what was up with the beginning of the episode? was the family hoping to be taken overnight by god? (i'm clueless when it comes to religion)

Funny, John took Eddie Winslow's job and Kevin's ex-wife.

Matt gets his wife back and a son, only to lose them. I was wondering if the actress was going to get any speaking lines.

I can't look at Michael without thinking of Denzel lecturing him in Fences? "Who says I got to like you?

Dean dropping the truth bomb about canine DNA was hilarious.

The other bomb dropped on the GR, not so much.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
old nora
what the fuck

what was up with the beginning of the episode? was the family hoping to be taken overnight by god? (i'm clueless when it comes to religion)

Yeah, pretty sure they were waiting to be raptured. Every once in awhile people like that still pop up. They use some pseudoscience to say when the world will end, news gives them attention, it doesn't happen, and then they disappear for a few years while they redo their "calculations."

Chumley

Banned
old nora
what the fuck

It was just showing that there have been people trying to predict the apocalypse since the beginning, that woman represented the remnant and that they're not some new thing.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
This show. It gives me the exact same feeling as season 2 of Lost, in the sense that you immediately after the episode ends need to ransack the internet after theories and general discussions. The show doesn't always work (
John & Laurie hooking up feels pretty goofy so far, and the Gary Busey stuff is kinda off-putting
), but 95% of the time it is so mesmerizing. This show consume a considerable amount of time out of my daily life.

Yeah, pretty sure they were waiting to be raptured. Every once in awhile people like that still pop up. They use some pseudoscience to say when the world will end, news gives them attention, it doesn't happen, and then they disappear for a few years while they redo their "calculations."

I Think Kevin will soon be departed in 13 days?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The fuck at the beginning

The fuck at the end

The fuck
H
Kevin is clearly still completely fucked up, and who even knows what the hell was going on with that suicide attempt.
I wonder if it's less of an attempt and more him checking that he still can't die.

I bet he kills himself each day just to make sure.

I loved the scene at the river, where there was the group wearing red, as the loudest color, attempting to remember a group that didn't want to be remembered. Then the Matt and his group were the ones in all white.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Best scenes in this show are when The Guilty Remnant get fucked up, so just bombing them with a Drone was pretty great.

I loved the scene at the river, where there was the group wearing red, as the loudest color, attempting to remember a group that didn't want to be remembered. Then the Matt and his group were the ones in all white.

Those dudes getting pelted with stones was pretty rad, too.

I hate and love how fantastic this show is. It's easily one of the best series I have ever watched and it continuously gets better with each new episode.

will you all be mad or pleased when we learn that the secret lizard dog society is behind it all at the end?

pretty enthralling premiere. i did not expect a freaking drone strike to end the Guilty Remnants haha.

pa22word

will you all be mad or pleased when we learn that the secret lizard dog society is behind it all at the end?

pretty enthralling premiere. i did not expect a freaking drone strike to end the Guilty Remnants haha.

I really hope they just leave it alone. It really doesn't need an answer anyways, and them lost'ing it at the end would hurt the series more than anything.

Random chaos and how we as people interpret it and respond has always been more the point of the show. Answering it and wrapping everything up with a bowtie, even a well done James Bond bowtie, does a disservice to the plot I think.

I agree, I've never wanted answers to this show tbh. One of the best things about this show is how clueless the characters feel searching for purpose behind it all.

but I'm just thinking how nuts would it be if they ran with the dog society thing hahaha

Top Bottom