• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

How crazy would it be for Bethesda to go single platform exclusive for Fallout 4? If MS snagged that it would be huge. With all the problems they had with PS3 I sort of wonder.

Gotta say, it would be amazing to see next gen Froza and next gen Gran Turismo go head to head. I know GT6 ain't happening at a console launch though. We might get some kind of PS4 GT concept video if we're lucky. Hopefully they've learned from GT5's development.
I can't believe im saying this because, well, Kaz is Kaz...but I think GT6 is a lot closer than many people would expect. They did say it wouldn't take as long to make GT6 as it did GT5. They made a lot of the assets for GT5 to be compatible and scale to next gen hardware. It's been two years since GT5 launched and it will be three years by the time this fall comes around for the PS4 launch. You gotta think they've been working on the game since at least when GT5 went gold and possibly even before that. It did get delayed a month and a bit which some say was due to blu ray printing issues or the PS3 getting hacked. So, I think they've been working on this for possibly by fall closer to 4 years.

I just have a feeling Sony will do something right for once and get this out at the very least in the PS4 launch window. A GT6 at launch would be massive and Sony should be doing everything in their power to get it done. They need to crack the whip on Kaz. GT5 was amazing but for how long it took them to make it should have been a lot better.

So by third party is it meant not published by Microsoft? Or third party developers working with them?

I have no idea. These are just rumors floating around at this point and we know it's a game of chicken as Kaz himself said "why go first?" and now sony is going first. It's speculation and fun... but definitely not a science at this point.

Twisted Pixel is first party now.

Did not know that. Good pickup by them.

meta4

Sony will not play around. They are going to be super aggressive with the PS4. It's about time they got some fire in the belly.

I really hope what GG is going to show is a new IP though and not KZ4. Even a small concept trailer would be nice and I am not too excited about both the racers since I only play GT. I hope we get more non shooter and non racers at launch.

golem

Although Obisidian's Durango project got canned, it bodes well that Microsoft was willing to work with smaller devs on some possibly core exclusives.

Hawken team isn't interested in going exclusive last i heard.

rdrr gnr

How crazy would it be for Bethesda to go single platform exclusive for Fallout 4? If MS snagged that it would be huge. With all the problems they had with PS3 I sort of wonder.
Even if Bethesda get paid, it's bad for their brand as they isolate million of gamers with future iterations. That's why Mass Effect is a defacto 360 exclusive (not counting PC). Exclusive DLC on the other hand...

benzy

So the MS team will be building up on the PGR4 engine? Awesome if true.

pgr4zk9d.gif

Even if Bethesda get paid, it's bad for their brand as they isolate million of gamers with future iterations. That's why Mass Effect is a defacto 360 exclusive (not counting PC). Exclusive DLC on the other hand...

Hmm, seeing as there are franchises that are so associated with one console that the sales are pretty lopsided (Mass Effect for 360 and Final Fantasy for PS for example) I wonder if they would just release them on the one console they know it will sell best on at the start of the gen when the install base is pretty small, to save development time and cost.I know it probably wouldn't happen though.

Nothing is impossible but I doubt Bethesda would go that route. Especially considering their problems with the PS3 seemingly won't exist with the PS4 which is a much more 'straight ahead' machine.

Though morrowind was an xbox exclusive (excluding the pc, of course). I always assumed that was because the PS2 wasn't capable enough, but who knows....

Which is a good move imo, to retain GTs brand identity and prestige. Better that the game is not encumbered with the GT name, that way they have reign to let loose a bit more. Push a bit further outside the boundaries and be more creative with it.

plus evolution god bless them, don't make games which you'd look at immediately and think OMFG AAA+ I want it.

I like motorstorm but yeah:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Studios

sony did the right thing.

rdrr gnr

Hmm, seeing as there are franchises that are so associated with one console that the sales are pretty lopsided (Mass Effect for 360 and Final Fantasy for PS for example) I wonder if they would just release them on the one console they know it will sell best on at the start of the gen when the install base is pretty small, to save development time and cost.I know it probably wouldn't happen though.
I'm not a developer but I'm sure that are dozens of factors to consider:

Overall development cost
Cost of porting to multiple platforms
How much money you are receiving for exclusivity
What the IP means to the company
Estimated sales figures
And, as you mentioned, when (launch of a console)

Mass Effect's sales would be very different if it were a multiplat from the beginning. And hasn't FF switched which platform it's most associated with over the years? It varies so much.

amar212

Evolution is working on a PGR-style game for the PS4. They wanted to use the GT brand for it similar to Horizon, but Polyphony shot it down. They're apparently referring to it as the biggest racer to come out of Europe in a decade. And Ged Talbot (one of the lead designers on the PGR series) is leading up the project.

Count me surprised :D

However, great news if true.

I came when OP has already being shot down, so what are the actual leaks he's talking about besides Evolution game?

TJP

Call me crazy but I loved PGR more than Forza.
You're not crazy at all; in fact add me to your list of those who prefer PGR to any other racing game on the Xbox. I predominantly play PC racing sims and PGR's 3 & 4 fill the void between realism and arcade rather well.

PGR 5 made by ex-Bizarre Creation team members at Lucid would see me buy the Durango in a heart beat. Already thinkink of buying the Orbis and anything PGR like would make the purchase even easier.

Joe White

Theres something about the recent FMs that lack charm, they haven't lasted long in my 360. Horizon was a great game however, I really hope they decide to make another.

I don't think its about lacking charm but rather being too serious. FM4 and GT5 shows that they love cars and like to put those into nice locations for photographing and admiring lug nuts. And the actual driving is simulated as best as possibly and it feels fantastic; scary, fair and rewarding. But still, those simulations are lacking the feel of driving mini in St. Petersburg on a morning fog. That fun feeling, where your not only driving on some dedicated racing circuits in serious tone, trying to get better lap times, but rather driving because its fun and you love doing it. Getting kudos for crazy drifts is just icing on the cake, but the main thing is not limiting driving to closed tracts; driving on an open roads and narrow city streets feels so much more inviting.

I don't expect the 3rd party exclusives to be a big deal, to me at least. Don't expect anything major on that account. Games that have decent potential and cross-market appeal will be timed exclusive at best I reckon.

a pgr-like game for the playstation would be awesome and with the right marketing it would push racing games again. well, i at least hope that. i also hope, that ms is finally reviving pgr

650809266_645ffcfdf5.jpg

saladine1

I'm still wondering how a team of 40 people that mainly work on mobile games, are going to deliver a worthwhile PGR game..

It seems like Turn 10, PG would have to be helping Lucid in order to achieve greatness.
To be honest, I don't want PGR, Horizon and Forza all to feel the 'same'. It becomes a sort of been there done that affair...

As for a Sony PGR, that would be fucking great!
The more racers the merrier I say..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wait wait wait... PGR brainchild is part of Evolution? ... the Sony guys? And they are making a "PGR" styled game?

PGR5 for MS?

GG game reveal?

I'm kinda glad GT wasn't changed to add the "PGR" stuff, but part of me would like to see how that ended.

Studio Liverpool?

This would be a dream come true.

So MS stops making PGR games due to lack of sales or whatever, then suddenly we're getting two at launch? I guess a pretty arcade racer is a nice showcase for a launch console.

Seems like I might be buying both machines at launch in that case, can't resist me some PGR

I just hope they aren't 'Xtreem' and underground, and slightly more down to earth like PGR.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well let's guesstimate what it could be. Keep in mind what i heard was "upwards of 8" which obviously doesn't mean DEFINITELY EIGHT!!!! I have no idea if that includes XBLA, let's assume it doesn't.

How many can we reasonably guestimate? I would assume it's mostly the same companies giving them exclusives now

I've actually heard hawken and a new dead rising bandied about. I have no idea how legit that info is though.

So..

Hawken (?)
New Dead Rising (?)
Epic IP (?)
Harmonix dance/kinect IP?
Maybe something from double fine? They seem to work together a lot.
Ubisoft is almost always on board with a launch game that uses a system's unique functions (something kinect 2.0 i would guess)
Maybe a port of a PC/last gen shooter. Like Metro Last Light all prettied up?
Stupid kinect game from stupid kinect developer.
A bigger budget exclusive from a former third party xbla dev (like the toy soldiers guys are kinda doing with their next game). Twisted Pixel maybe?

That's completely conjecture and 99.999999% not what the list will look like, but it's one path to 8 games that isn't unreasonable. It's decent as well, but I don't think that list wins or loses you the system wars.
Ryse
Alan Wake 2
New Epic IP

eso76

Pgr5 or equivalent at launch would be ridiculous.
I just hope the team is large enough to match the incredible job done on environments in pgr3/4.
Even though that probably means no Sforza 5 at launch, which makes me sad. Then again, this gives t10 more time so we don't end up with another forza2 (loved it, but was also a step back from its prequel in many areas)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I could see this happening but for a "next gen" exclusive version. Pubs will still go for it since there's the current gen install base to sell to and it'll help with core sales near launch. I've been expecting Sony to do this for MGS5 and have been trying to guess what Microsoft would do it for. Fallout makes sense.

Pgr5 or equivalent at launch would be ridiculous.
I just hope the team is large enough to match the incredible job done on environments in pgr3/4.
Even though that probably means no Sforza 5 at launch, which makes me sad. Then again, this gives t10 more time so we don't end up with another forza2 (loved it, but was also a step back from its prequel in many areas)

well sony have their XDev-studio to power up the manpower.
however, the world needs more realistic arcaderacers and sony have real talents there in europe and japan for these kind of games.
micrsoft has turn10 and they are even bigger than polyphony and evolution together, irrc.

derFeef

What if a PGR5 was already in development at T10 or PG? We remember those rain and wet-street concepts from jalopnik at T10 - and now Lucid is making the finishing touches? Sounds a bit too far fetched I guess.

saladine1

What if a PGR5 was already in development at T10 or PG? We remember those rain and wet-street concepts from jalopnik at T10 - and now Lucid is making the finishing touches? Sounds a bit too far fetched I guess.

That would set FM5 back a while if the case which I don't think is good for anybody lol.

I bet Horizon was pretty cheap to make considering they used the Forza engine and car models, I'd bet PGR will do the same thing. If T10 have already implemented wet handling physics for Forza 5 and providing support in general, I could see a 40-50 man team being able to crank out a launch game.

Top Bottom