• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Web Framework (HTML5, Javascript, CSS dev support) announced for the Wii U

Obviously there are exceptions. They clearly have a great relationship with Ubi as well.
As long as you can admit that you're wrong.

I don't think a port of an enhanced port from a notoriously handheld-centric, Japan-centric series counts for all that much, unfortunately. :(
It's an enhanced port of a game that was originally a Nintendo console exclusive, in case you did not know. It also has a good deal of original content on it, and you can bet that since it has DLC enabled, there will be more.

And Monster Hunter 4 is also a Nintendo exclusive. You can bet your butt that the enhanced port of that game will be a Wii U exclusive, too.

Plus, Sven has said multiple times that Capcom has some Wii U projects in the works - it's coming, it's just not announced yet.

I think he means more western studio's like EA. Ubisoft and Activision has showed great support (so far) but EA, other western companies aren't looking at Wii U.

I THINK eastern support will be more faithful and loyal to Nintendo for Wii U than western support, but we'll see.
People need to stop equating 3rd party support with western support. Nintendo has never gotten a lot of western support, and they sure as hell are not going to this generation. That's a done deal.

Polari

Intel's thing sounds a lot like emscripten. As for this, Nintendo should support asm.js in their platform as soon as possible so developers can take advantage of the performance benefits over regular JavaScript (of course games that take advantage of asm.js will still run on the current set-up, just without the performance enhancements).

Kind of surprising this is coming from Nintendo. Iwata seems interested in Google's management and their 20% time concept, wonder if this came out of something similar?

BD1

Banned
As long as you can admit that you're wrong.

It's an enhanced port of a game that was originally a Nintendo console exclusive, in case you did not know. It also has a good deal of original content on it, and you can bet that since it has DLC enabled, there will be more.

And Monster Hunter 4 is also a Nintendo exclusive. You can bet your butt that the enhanced port of that game will be a Wii U exclusive, too.

Plus, Sven has said multiple times that Capcom has some Wii U projects in the works - it's coming, it's just not announced yet.

People need to stop equating 3rd party support with western support. Nintendo has never gotten a lot of western support, and they sure as hell are not going to this generation. That's a done deal.

You seem really agitated for no reason.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This sounds like an excellent move towards populating more apps in an easy and streamlined manner, how I'm curious how far can it be pushed in terms of game output. Does anyone have good examples of competent games made by developers who expressed their interest in this?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Are these going to be somehow separate from other eShop games? They could have a special store for these.

Why would you have separate stores? If it's a game, sell it amongst games in the eShop.

AzaK

Interesting, it also opens the WiiU up for frameworks that can compile to javascript/HTML5 for multiplatform titles. For example, I think GameMaker stuff can go straight to HTML5.

If it does that'd be great. That could also enable Monkey and Cocos2d-html5 to generate Wii U content.

Don't forget that they still need a Wii U devkit to even submit/test/etc the games.

But do you even need a hardware kit to test your Wii U HTML 5 game? A custom "player" that you can also use on your smartdevice to emulate the GamePad (To some degree) could mean you need zero hardware from Nintendo to get started. Of course you'll need a device to submit and test fully but if they allowed you to start for free (Like Apple) that'd be amazing.

freddy

Banned
I believe those are somewhere between 4-5K US, but include a $1500 Unity Pro license as well as some other freebies that would other wise cost some dough.

See this is bullshit. If someone wants to make a game for your system then hand out some dev kits, even if they are on loan or rented.

qko

Nope, but you can "emulate" multitouch to a certain degree. I did some proof of concept stuff in HTML a while ago and tested it on the Wii U browser - it's limited and requires carefully designed interfaces, but it works.

I haven't played too many games on my iPhone, but most times multitouch has been used in games I've played, was emulating a touch pad and buttons. What games are out there where multitouch is a key gameplay mechanic?

Oddduck

I believe those are somewhere between 4-5K US, but include a $1500 Unity Pro license as well as some other freebies that would other wise cost some dough.

Nintendo's Dan Adelman said dev kits are not much more than a high end computer. I can't imagine most high end computers being $4,000-$5,000. Especially since Dan made the remark to hint that dev kits are cheaper than you think.

Schnozberry

See this is bullshit. If someone wants to make a game for your system then hand out some dev kits, even if they are on loan or rented.

Somebody mentioned them giving a few out on faith the other day in another thread, and I wish I remembered the source. They equated the cost to the same as a high end PC. So I'm betting closer to 3 than 5. I wonder how much PS4 kits cost?

freddy

Banned
Shit costs money, yo. Plus, they did lend one to the Shovel Knight devs apparently.
They've done just this with Yacht Club. They can't hand out dev kits to every person that fills out an application.

Somebody mentioned them giving a few out on faith the other day in another thread, and I wish I remembered the source. They equated the cost to the same as a high end PC. So I'm betting closer to 3 than 5. I wonder how much PS4 kits cost?

For a company like Nintendo losing 2-300k would be chicken feed and gaining 100 small/indie games would be an awesome payoff. What's good for one is good for all.

shaowebb

Oh wow this is actually pretty big news. I checked out the site and it also lets you select Unity as your intended developer tool for this as well. Does the Nintendo Framework have a GUI for non coders like myself who are doing game development? Im using Construct 2 right now due to my lack of experience and may be switching to Unity soon, but anything with a good GUI for folks like me is really useful.

Oddduck

For a company like Nintendo losing 2-300k would be chicken feed and gaining 100 small/indie games would be an awesome payoff. What's good for one is good for all.

I agree with this strategy. Especially if the developer is talented and reliable.

wsippel

Banned
I'm not so sure about that. If you are actually serious and believe in your talent and the viability of your idea, a small investment shouldn't be a big deal. If it's too easy and too cheap to get on board, the eShop would get flooded with nonsense apps and buggy or outright broken shit like the AppStore or Google Play.

kirby_fox

Banned
I want to fill this out, but I'm broke as fuck, don't have any real programming experience and don't have people local to myself to work with. What to do...

I'm in the same boat.

Funny thing is I just started trying to get a crew together for a game and was thinking about Unity. This makes it a lot easier to port a game.

But it does make me wonder if a dev kit is still needed.

serplux

I'm in the same boat.

Funny thing is I just started trying to get a crew together for a game and was thinking about Unity. This makes it a lot easier to port a game.

But it does make me wonder if a dev kit is still needed.

I don't think so. I don't know what the point is of creating a free app/game for the Wii U if you have to pay for a dev kit. So I'd try it out.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I'm having a hard time estimating the impact this will have. On the one had, opening the floodgates like this is absolutely phenomenal for indie developers who want to move to console development. This news also cuts away at the idea that Nintendo offers a closed-box ideology that is anti-indie and anti-gamer. Additionally, this plan could put into place a dedicated set of future quality developers that got their start working on Nintendo platforms. That's pretty cool.

However, on the other hand, the Wii U is selling abysmally when compared to the Wii. Its online infrastructure is severely lacking. If it takes more than 10 seconds for someone to access these new games via the e-shop, and another 10 seconds to download them, I could see this becoming problematic. Nintendo has some severe work that needs to be done. Additionally, this could also potentially damage the greater possibility for large numbers of high-profile, high-budget titles. Of course Nintendo will always be there, but I do fear for a reduction in quality.

If anything, this certainly got us talking. My next game is going on Wii U for sure.

dwu8991

Banned
I'm having a hard time estimating the impact this will have. On the one had, opening the floodgates like this is absolutely phenomenal for indie developers who want to move to console development. This news also cuts away at the idea that Nintendo offers a closed-box ideology that is anti-indie and anti-gamer. Additionally, this plan could put into place a dedicated set of future quality developers that got their start working on Nintendo platforms. That's pretty cool.

However, on the other hand, the Wii U is selling abysmally when compared to the Wii. Its online infrastructure is severely lacking. If it takes more than 10 seconds for someone to access these new games via the e-shop, and another 10 seconds to download them, I could see this becoming problematic. Nintendo has some severe work that needs to be done. Additionally, this could also potentially damage the greater possibility for large numbers of high-profile, high-budget titles. Of course Nintendo will always be there, but I do fear for a reduction in quality.

If anything, this certainly got us talking. My next game is going on Wii U for sure.

The e-shop is pretty good to download especially for small stuff. It's much better than the PS3 where you had to download a demo than redownload the whole game.

BMOFTW

Gaf what this mean?

It's like Wii U just can do DX10 or is about Unity engine capable of DX10? Thanks :)

03.jpg

freddy

Banned
I'm not so sure about that. If you are actually serious and believe in your talent and the viability of your idea, a small investment shouldn't be a big deal. If it's too easy and too cheap to get on board, the eShop would get flooded with nonsense apps and buggy or outright broken shit like the AppStore or Google Play.

Well that's one extreme but somewhere in between letting Little Johnny and grade 4 classmates develop for your console and removing all possible hurdles for legitimate but cash strapped young devs eating noodles and baked beans there is an answer. If you need a guy to playtest the game to make sure it passes certain standards and isn't broken then by all means do that. Nintendo needs to take some risks when opportunities like this come along or other companies will come along and take them instead, along with the opportunity.

antonz

Unity really is a very nice engine for smaller devs. It packs a lot of tools and potential under the hood. I spend basically all my daily time working in UDK but the times I have used Unity it wasn't bad.

Indeed. That said if you are appealing enough and can wow Nintendo enough they will be very flexible with you. Some people have gotten devkits with specific agreements in place as far as paying them off etc. Obviously Dude who has never made a game wont get that kind of offer unless they can really impress

serplux

Transcript from that site where one goes Nintendo.

- Wii Street U was one of the first apps created using Nintendo Web Framework
- this framework can help create apps that run on the GamePad, the TV, or both
- it can also be used to port games that were developed using web technology
- the software has the ability to make changes, refresh, and see them reflected on the GamePad or TV screen instantly
- Sketch Battle wad demoed, a simple platformer developed entirely in JavaScript and then ported to the Wii U using Nintendo Web Framework
- you can quickly create new stages using HTML backgrounds
- you also have the option to use the GamePad's camera and accelerometer
- Sketch Battle will be included in the Nintendo Web Framework SDK as a demo
- Nintendo Web Framework's codename was Bamboo
- the Framework SDK will be available for anyone to use free of charge after signing an agreement
- devs will need to purchase a Wii U developer kit
- Nintendo will not require concept approval
- this will allow for use of freemium models in apps developed in the Nintendo Web Framework

EDarkness

What they're doing is nice, and I wonder if my little project could meet approval to be able to get released on the system. I'll probably try once we get more into it. Still, they're doing some good stuff to help independent developers get started. I wish them the best.

Madouu

This may explain why they've been pushing Wii Street U so much. It's all great news in theory, but we shall see.

GCX

This is one of the most interesting things Nintendo's done in a while. It could result some really great stuff.

Ydahs

At this stage, it seems it's primarily focused on applications rather than games, so it should be interesting to see what types of apps Nintendo and the indie community will develop.
NeoGAF app anyone?

Still, a highly optimized web environment means that 2D HTML5 games still have a potential to shine on the platform. Nintendo's definitely opening up and embracing an ever-changing industry, which is quite surprising considering their conservative stances in the past.

I expect Microsoft to take what they've learned from their Windows 8 store and adopt a similiar approach with their next console as well. They've also been pushing HTML and Javascript as a viable means of development on their Win8 store.

Top Bottom