• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisico

Went to the Paris ePrix yesterday, it was my first time going on a race but I did see the Renault F1 a few times a decade ago (back when Alonso was still there).

It's kinda crazy how quiet it is when a car goes full speed in the category, at first I was like "ok they must be must be trying to heat their tires this lap [...] Okay they will go full out the next one [...] Well uh, quali are almost over maye they're just going for a 1 lap try [...] Uh okay turns out they were going full speed from the very beginning!"
It's still enjoyable to watch but it's a bit like seeing a Tesla or a Zoe on the highroad, the sound just really isn't there (it's funny that I'd say that since I was amongst the one that didn't mind the relative "quiet" engines in F1 when they were introduced not so long ago)

They also seem terribly slow (I think their top speed is 250<km/h?), fast enough that my pictures (that I took with my phone) are shit tier, but slow enough that my eyes can keep track of the cars fairly easily.

The track is terrible also, no way you can overtake during the straights since they aren't long enough and the track isn't wide enough during turns, so you can't do shit, before the first safety car the twenty cars were just following each other in a long process, I think Gutierrez passed someone and got passed by a few others, in the top 5 no one was able to do anything and we just saw 5 pilots 1-2s from each other followed by a Trulli-train behind 6th.

I'm not quite sure if Vergne fucked up or if it was a mechnical failure too, at first everyone thought the former, but when you see the on board camera before the crash you clearly see him turning his wheel and the car... didn't react at all which ended up in him crashing.

It's a small fun event to attend regardless and since I was able to go there in less than 1 hour it would've been a waste not to do so.

I've a got a few "decent" pics and very short videos if anyone is interested.

20170520_143432vqxmy.jpg

frontieruk

Guess whose engine went up in smoke and had to be replaced?

I had to laugh at the commentators saying it could mess with Fernando's mind as it's not what you want to see at the start of qualifying...

I was like that's a normal race weekend for the poor bugger, another Honda blowing up.

Ark

If he does good in the race I really can see him leaving F1 at the end of the season (or during if Honda shitbox scores new lows).

Even with everything considered I would highly doubt it, IndyCar doesn't have the same prestige, or level of natural competition that F1 has. Don't get me wrong, modern IndyCar has some great talent and is a great sport to watch and be involved with, but it's not F1.

We all know Fernando belongs in GP2F1.

Zeknurn

@adamcooperF1
T Wolff on BOT's Spanish failure: "We've identified the root cause of the problem, which was the turbo. We haven't seen that defect before"

Good news for the championship. The Mercedes power unit isn't flawless.

Zaru

It isn't, but it also got the most mileage so far. They're most likely going to have the least penalties.

The question is how conservative and cautious they'll be. It's one thing to do prepared switches and start with a penalty (in a car that far above the competition), and another thing entirely to get a DNF during a race.

Shaneus

It's super sad, even more tragic that it seems like it was just a brain fade at a stop sign that caused it :( Seemed like a super nice guy, too.

Zeknurn

Seeing brotkasten going off on Microsoft without his angry Maldonado avatar is a bit disappointing. So lets do the bet again.

I'm feeling confident because the long wheel-base of the Mercedes is expected to struggle in the tight corners of Monaco.

Mastah

S3 times from Barcelona (quali and race), which are usually good indicator in telling how competetive cars could be on the streets of Monaco:

f6994c63db6c4221b36625911fd6479e.png

9b7ef3d3a2c04c39ade9ac160e9063e8.png

Seeing brotkasten going off on Microsoft without his angry Maldonado avatar is a bit disappointing. So lets do the bet again.

I'm feeling confident because the long wheel-base of the Mercedes is expected to struggle in the tight corners of Monaco.

I'm in.

Mercedes struggling does not necessarily mean that Ferrari gets ahead. I could maybe see a pole, but they'll lose the race during the pits.

Zaru

I'm more betting on the tyre pressure difference. But in the end it's probably gonna end with Merc lucking into a free pitstop and thus win because of a well-timed safety car.

It's not the best hunting ground for Ferrari, they haven't won Monaco since 2001, through various regulations and champion drivers at the wheel.

DBT85

S3 times from Barcelona (quali and race), which are usually good indicator in telling how competetive cars could be on the streets of Monaco:

f6994c63db6c4221b36625911fd6479e.png

9b7ef3d3a2c04c39ade9ac160e9063e8.png

Will be interesting to see how HAM and BOT cope with the much longer wheelbase of the Merc around Monaco.

jambo

Lucky. Australia doesn't even have any. They had AC/DC and Kiss different years a while back, but there's basically no entertainment there now :/

There were music acts this year, Rudimental and Bliss n Esso were probably the most well known.

Shaneus

There were music acts this year, Rudimental and Bliss n Esso were probably the most well known.
This was the first year I didn't go :/ But point being, they've been notably cutting back on off-track entertainment over the last few years. 3 or 4 years ago it was actually pretty good, now there's close to bugger-all to do by comparison.

jambo

This was the first year I didn't go :/ But point being, they've been notably cutting back on off-track entertainment over the last few years. 3 or 4 years ago it was actually pretty good, now there's close to bugger-all to do by comparison.

Slowly winding it down before the return to Adelaide.

=D

Grug

Just watched an old replay of the 2012 European GP (Valencia).

Holy shit I forgot what an epic race that was. It also made me angry that Alonso now is stuck in that shitbox McLaren.

Razgreez

Just watched an old replay of the 2012 European GP (Valencia).

Holy shit I forgot what an epic race that was. It also made me angry that Alonso now is stuck in that shitbox McLaren.

Think the 2010 race was better if only because Alonso seemed entirely infatuated with Hamilton during the course of it (and claiming it was "fixed" thereafter):D

I still find it weird that Button didn't want to test the car before the race. I'm sure he did simulation runs, but why wouldn't you want to get some laps on a real track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom