• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Began my keto diet this week. Tips welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I just plateaued on Keto. No weight loss for 3 weeks running yet since starting again in January its been a steady 1lb a week with no cheats at all. I had no idea you were supposed to do this. Im probably around 10% body fat currently though so im assuming its just one cheat meal not an entire day?

Ideally you'd want to carb load for a meal or maybe a day. And ideally you'd want to limit your fat intake when you carb load, because consuming fat and carbs together will result in fat storage from the insulin spikes. So something like sushi, or lots of rice with a chicken curry, or pasta with tomato sauce would be great.

Don't go too crazy with something like pizza. Have a slice or two on your cheat day, but don't overdo it, because your body will store a lot of fat.

The idea is to replenish your glycogen store and shock your system out of keto so that it stops adapting to your diet.

That being said, everyone's different. Plateaus can be hard to break through. Try different things and see if anything works for you.

Izayoi

Banned
Isn't less than 10% body fat for extended periods of time unhealthy? My lowest was 11% and honestly I did not feel great even then. I dunno...

I'm down 5.6 kg after my first week of keto following a debaucherous vacation with family. Feels good, even though it's mostly "water weight" or whatever. My belly is no longer past my chest, at least. Got like 20 more to go.

Isn't less than 10% body fat for extended periods of time unhealthy? My lowest was 11% and honestly I did not feel great even then. I dunno...

Its not unhealthy, and you also should't "feel bad" by having low body fat unless your low bf% is a result of doing something unhealthy/being unhealthy in general.

Brandwin

I want to start this, is there some good guidelines online? I have a co-worker who goes to some clinic and pays crazy amount monthly, nope. Seems like a lot o information, just no idea where to start.

I am not too big, 5'6" 162 (lost 4 pounds last week) but I want to get to about 140.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I want to start this, is there some good guidelines online? I have a co-worker who goes to some clinic and pays crazy amount monthly, nope. Seems like a lot o information, just no idea where to start.

I am not too big, 5'6" 162 (lost 4 pounds last week) but I want to get to about 140.
Check reddit.com/r/keto

BWJinxing

I've been doing it a week, lost about 8 lbs, at 328 now.

I do have a question. I've read somewhere that since I'm high in fat, I just need the low carbs. I understand I need the protein.

Just trying to understand, is it the fat or the calorie macro I should be less concerned about not meeting?

blackflag

You're allowed a "cheat" meal every ten days or so to rebuild your glycogens.

If you lift, like really lift, then yes. I used to wait usually 2 weeks and then carb load for 36 hours. I would eat it all.

Lost 100 lbs gained insane strength and muscle.

Jabronium

Over the course of 6 weeks I lost 13 lbs (190 down to 177). Didn't really get hit with the keto flu or anything. However, my blood pressure went up 25 points and my lifts, especially bench and overhead press, tanked. Going back to my normal maintenance diet for a bit before another cut, but given my BP spike, don't think I'll be trying keto again.

This is my third week of keto. I went to the gym for the first time in a while last night and it felt great. I think I'm getting more fat adapted because I don't feel as lethargic as last week, but we'll see when I go for a run tonight. Also I'm just eating one meal a day, dinner.

I mentioned earlier I had a slump with no weight loss for 3 weeks. Tried the carb loading suggestion. Felt a bit under the weather for the week so decided not to exercise but kept up my macros. Lost a fucking pound.... I hate dieting....

So 3 weeks of HIIT cardio Monday-Friday yielded nothing, a week off puts me back into weight loss.

Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

I mentioned earlier I had a slump with no weight loss for 3 weeks. Tried the carb loading suggestion. Felt a bit under the weather for the week so decided not to exercise but kept up my macros. Lost a fucking pound.... I hate dieting....

So 3 weeks of HIIT cardio Monday-Friday yielded nothing, a week off puts me back into weight loss.

could be water retention. I get this. I hit the exercise hard for a couple of weeks and it looks like i've got nowhere, then all of a sudden the weight drops off.

my wife is seeing amazing results from low carb for breakfast and lunch and then a normal carb intake at dinner while doing HIIT mon - fri. She lowers her carb intake on sat and sunday when she isn't working out.

She felt it was going nowhere for about 5 weeks then all of a sudden the weight dropped off. She follows the Body Coaches methodology pretty religiously and its really working for her.

could be water retention. I get this. I hit the exercise hard for a couple of weeks and it looks like i've got nowhere, then all of a sudden the weight drops off.

my wife is seeing amazing results from low carb for breakfast and lunch and then a normal carb intake at dinner while doing HIIT mon - fri. She lowers her carb intake on sat and sunday when she isn't working out.

She felt it was going nowhere for about 5 weeks then all of a sudden the weight dropped off. She follows the Body Coaches methodology pretty religiously and its really working for her.

I drink 2-3 litres of water daily, I piss like a race horse so I'd assume it isn't retention. Im gonna try and mix up my routine and see the results. I only need a few more pounds gone and maintain that again until bulking season.

Anarion07

Shouldnt be a problem. I used to have around 7,5 for at least a year with no problems.

Yup possibly just water you lost. Even if you keep up your macros your muscle glycogen will go down without exercise. And One gram of carbs being able to bind up to 3 grams of water could be the missing pound.

Pro tip when ordering breakfast at mcdonalds, instead of getting a sandwich with no bun just order the pieces. For example just ask for a folded egg, cheese, and bacon instead of an egg bacon cheese biscuit with no biscuit. It'll be cheaper!

I've been doing it a week, lost about 8 lbs, at 328 now.

I do have a question. I've read somewhere that since I'm high in fat, I just need the low carbs. I understand I need the protein.

Just trying to understand, is it the fat or the calorie macro I should be less concerned about not meeting?

Your macros should be something like 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% net carbs (carbs minus fiber/sugar alcohols).
From what I've read, you can dip lower on protein and carbs, and dip higher on fat, but you shouldn't do the opposite.
You have a lot to lose, so I'd keep calorie intake to something like your current weight times 9 (2952) at most.

Repost from the other thread, just found this one...

Hey FitGaf! Anyone on Keto Diet? Seems too good to be true, as its literally my favorite foods to eat, mostly my favorite way to prepare them, just cut out carbs and get plenty of leafy greens? Ummm...yes please! first week, and not sure it's working yet, but I do feel lighter, gonna stick it out.

I'm on like day 3 of it, and still figuring out what isn't good to get into the state etc...like some Keto dieters say just don't go over 20g of carbs and you're fine. Some say do even less than that. Some say a small amount of tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, etc...are ok, some say stick strictly to your leafy greens like broccoli spinach, kale, brussel sprouts etc..and get good fats.

I'm not partially keen on eating a lot of cheese, I've read enough documentaries to know our meat isn't in the best of ways and try to get grass fed and organic when I can, theres a limit to this as you really don't know exactly where your meat comes from and have to trust people and companies to an extent.

But overall yeah, I really like what I'm reading about it. I'm about 167 pounds around 5'7, so I have some weight to drop. Goals are to just look clean and ripped, get strong, like genuinely strong. I want to be able to do a handstand pushup, run 5-6 miles without dying, (currently max is 4 and I have to push through exhaustion) get waaaay more flexible and learn the russian twist.

Glad I found this thread, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Also, for Keto heads, are Shirataki noodles ok on it?

Intermittent fasting+black coffee is a good combo with keto

Also dark dark dark chocolate is good for a sweet tooth

cauliflower is a great potato substitute

ground turkey and turkey in general is great

Yeah, I drink black coffee with a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning, it satiates my hunger pangs until my first keto meal of the day.

Repost from the other thread, just found this one...

Hey FitGaf! Anyone on Keto Diet? Seems too good to be true, as its literally my favorite foods to eat, mostly my favorite way to prepare them, just cut out carbs and get plenty of leafy greens? Ummm...yes please! first week, and not sure it's working yet, but I do feel lighter, gonna stick it out.

I'm on like day 3 of it, and still figuring out what isn't good to get into the state etc...like some Keto dieters say just don't go over 20g of carbs and you're fine. Some say do even less than that. Some say a small amount of tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, etc...are ok, some say stick strictly to your leafy greens like broccoli spinach, kale, brussel sprouts etc..and get good fats.

I'm not partially keen on eating a lot of cheese, I've read enough documentaries to know our meat isn't in the best of ways and try to get grass fed and organic when I can, theres a limit to this as you really don't know exactly where your meat comes from and have to trust people and companies to an extent.

But overall yeah, I really like what I'm reading about it. I'm about 167 pounds around 5'7, so I have some weight to drop. Goals are to just look clean and ripped, get strong, like genuinely strong. I want to be able to do a handstand pushup, run 5-6 miles without dying, (currently max is 4 and I have to push through exhaustion) get waaaay more flexible and learn the russian twist.

Glad I found this thread, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Also, for Keto heads, are Shirataki noodles ok on it?

Yup, they literally have nothing in them lol. I eat them all the time.

Izayoi

Banned
Welp, the wife and I just started today...

I had fried eggs, bacon, and a little bit of kimchi for breakfast. Had chicken, asparagus, and mushrooms for dinner (all fried/sauteed in butter, of course).

I have to say, there are a lot of really delicious options. I fucking love that I'm allowed to use as much butter as I want.

The hardest part is going to be cutting the creamer and Starbucks in general out... Is there anything they have other than black coffee that's acceptable for keto?

Yep. You can have coffee with heavy whipping cream, butter, coconut oil. I do an iced Americano with heavy cream.

I believe Starbucks has Kerrygold butter packets, too. You can have them put in your coffee.

Tks for the feedback Day 4...so loving this...haven't noticed much changes yet, I feel a little weird I guess.m, but that's about it, hopefully this means I won't get the Keto flu. Gonna post up majority of what I've been eating. Any tips much appreciated

Sometimes I skip breakfast...If I don't it's either
- Vegan protein shake from sprouted veggies like 4g carbs I think not including fiber) with almond milk and chia seed
- egg whites, turkey bacon and avocado
- eggs with avocado and some aged cheddar or Harvarti

Lunch
- chipotle chicken/peppers/tomatoes (too much sodium though gonna cut these) sour creme and cheese
- Protein shake same as breakfast
- continue fasting with a green tea until I get home

Dinner is the star of my Keto!
-Lamb chop/burgers/leg all from a quality local butcher
-Sautéed cabbage mushrooms and scallions in some avocado oil or olive
-Ribeye or Porter house steak grass fed (expensive!)
-Ground turkey w/cabbage mix and spinach
-Chicken breast or Thighs baked or slow cooked with herbs
-tuna straight out the can with egg whites

Snacks
- Pickles

That's about it, before Keto I ate a lot of carbs. Brown rice, quinoa, chickpeas, local breads from the bakery, lots of nuts. So I'm not sure what else to eat besides getting some more greens in my diet like broccoli and Swiss chard. Recipe variety is the hardest thing right now, but hopefully that'll change with my zero carb noodles.

dickroach

Tks for the feedback Day 4...so loving this...haven't noticed much changes yet, I feel a little weird I guess.m, but that's about it, hopefully this means I won't get the Keto flu. Gonna post up majority of what I've been eating. Any tips much appreciated

Sometimes I skip breakfast...If I don't it's either
- Vegan protein shake from sprouted veggies like 4g carbs I think not including fiber) with almond milk and chia seed
- egg whites, turkey bacon and avocado
- eggs with avocado and some aged cheddar or Harvarti

Lunch
- chipotle chicken/peppers/tomatoes (too much sodium though gonna cut these) sour creme and cheese
- Protein shake same as breakfast
- continue fasting with a green tea until I get home

Dinner is the star of my Keto!
-Lamb chop/burgers/leg all from a quality local butcher
-Sautéed cabbage mushrooms and scallions in some avocado oil or olive
-Ribeye or Porter house steak grass fed (expensive!)
-Ground turkey w/cabbage mix and spinach
-Chicken breast or Thighs baked or slow cooked with herbs
-tuna straight out the can with egg whites

Snacks
- Pickles

That's about it, before Keto I ate a lot of carbs. Brown rice, quinoa, chickpeas, local breads from the bakery, lots of nuts. So I'm not sure what else to eat besides getting some more greens in my diet like broccoli and Swiss chard. Recipe variety is the hardest thing right now, but hopefully that'll change with my zero carb noodles.

"Sodium has always been advised against, especially for those trying to lose weight. The truth is that your body needs extra sodium on a low-carb diet. The reason is that insulin, which also has the effect of reducing the rate at which sodium is extracted through kidneys, drops and it can cause sodium levels to drop significantly, too. You should eat 3,000-5,000 mg of additional sodium occurring naturally in food. It's quite simple to get sufficient intake of sodium: Unless you have any medical conditions that restrict your sodium intake, don't be afraid to use salt, and even if you feel you need more, drink 1-2 cups of bouillon / stock / broth a day."
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/16/Keto-flu-and-Sufficient-Intake-of-Electrolytes

duxstar

Anyone have a suggestion, I've been trying to hit ketosis for about a week now again, I was in it for awhile according to the keto sticks, then last saturday I had i kid you not, 2 small ass cupcakes, and now i haven't been able to get back into it since.

It shouldn't really be the meals because I'm using medifast bars 4 x a day, and for my dinner im eating just a piece of meat and salad, normally chicken, or sometimes a burger with no bun. I don't understand why recovering from 2 cupcakes screwed everything up. I'm in that state of just never feeling hungry and didn't "go back through" a keto flu.

Also while we are on the subject

What's the word on working out while your in ketosis / on a keto diet, someone told me once that it was a no go, but i'd really love to do SOMETHING at the gym, I just haven't been going before because i know outworking a shit diet is almost impossible; so while i was eating like shit before i wasn't going to the gym (yeah the logic is flawed)

For the record right now I'm 5'9" 235 pounds as of this morning, I'm trying to get down to 200, and then once i do, i'll do a more traditional Protein + working out schedule.

I'm just frustrated because before the 2 damn cupcakes i was literally in high red ketosis (80% +) and now the sticks are staying beige

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
It shouldn't really be the meals because I'm using medifast bars 4 x a day, and for my dinner im eating just a piece of meat and salad, normally chicken, or sometimes a burger with no bun. I don't understand why recovering from 2 cupcakes screwed everything up. I'm in that state of just never feeling hungry and didn't "go back through" a keto flu.

That doesn't sound like keto at all. you need more fat with that

Izayoi

Banned
Yep. You can have coffee with heavy whipping cream, butter, coconut oil. I do an iced Americano with heavy cream.

I believe Starbucks has Kerrygold butter packets, too. You can have them put in your coffee.
Is half and half ok? Some coffee places don't have heavy cream (I work in a hospital and have to leave to find a coffee place that has heavy cream, unfortunately).

I'm stuck at work.........

I'm off in an hour and fifteen, and then it's an hour drive before I'm home

this is seriously the fucking worst

edit: do we have an OT for this? if not, should we?

I think I'm loving the pay off really. I'm eating 1 meal a day excluding snacks and instead of gorging myself 3 meals before keto

But the thirst is real.

McLovin

I made a mistake and got off my diet a few weeks ago. Personal issues, was pretty depressed. Decided to take a break but use the carbs as a boost when I go to the gym. My endurance went to shit, I went to the gym 3 times in the last 2 weeks, and I've been achy the whole time. Before I was going 5 times a week 1.5hrs minimum with no soreness. I started back up 3 days ago and went to the gym every single day. Luckily I didn't gain much weight. I was fully keto adapted too, I won't make that mistake again :/

I regret doing a cheat day last Sunday. Threw me off for the week and I ended up eating too much every day this week. Back on track now, but I may not cheat again until I reach much closer to my goal. Didnt enjoy it anyway and don't really have those cravings anyway!

Zoggy

KETO DA BES

i take slices of pepperoni and cheese for sandwiches.

i've lost 110 pounds when i was on keto.

Juice

My wife Mrs. Juice says you should rely on this community over Reddit and some others. She says it's more welcoming, less dogmatic:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/

My friend Carl Franklin has a pretty popular Keto podcast, too. "Two keto dudes" or something like that.

ElRenoRaven

I don't see them anywhere here in Thailand. I'll have to find some almond flour so I can make my own (there's some recipe on the Ketoconnect YouTube channel).

Helps living in Oklahoma. The company that makes them is Texas based so you can't go anywhere around here without seeing their products in the store.

Izayoi

Banned
I think I'm loving the pay off really. I'm eating 1 meal a day excluding snacks and instead of gorging myself 3 meals before keto

But the thirst is real.
I'm really looking forward to it. My biggest problem is my insatiable hunger. Even after a huge meal (this is before I started keto, mind) I would still want to eat more. I wasn't satisfied until I was completely stuffed. Sometimes, eating made me hungrier.

I can't wait to leave that behind. I'm really getting into the groove now - still some lingering hunger, but it's not overwhelming. No more headaches or fog, either.

For dinner last night, I had a bacon, egg, and cheese scramble that I cooked with a ridiculous amount of coconut oil. It was so fucking good. I'm losing weight without even trying. Loving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom