• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erasure - World Be Gone

rxjqbsX.jpg

1. Love You To The Sky
2. Be Careful What You Wish For
3. World Be Gone
4. A Bitter Parting
5. Still It's Not Over
6. Take Me Out Of Myself
7. Sweet Summer Loving
8. Oh What A World
9. Lousy Sum Of Nothing
10. Just A Little Love

Erasure, my favorite band has a new album dropping on May 19th, World Be Gone. A couple of songs are already out, the popish Love You To The Sky and the pensive Still It's Not Over. Both are alright, IMO, not Erasure's greatest nor worst. I'd give the edge to Still It's Not Over out of the two, at this moment in time.

It's gotten some reviews already:

Associated Press: "...poignant tunes worried about the state of the world but hopeful love can still make a difference."

Slug Magazine: "Given multiple listens, the beauty and joy found in Erasure's music (which seem eternally synonymous with the band) shine through.  The album's cover painting...is perfect and neatly mirrors the message of hope breaking through in these bleaker times."

Observer: "...Bell and Clarke have focused the majority [of] their attention on different forms of love: Acceptance, kindness, and peace."

Newsday: Grade: A. "...Bell's voice is the undisputed focus to masterful effect."

So while we wait a few days for this album to drop. Let's take a walk through memory lane and discuss the GOAT, Erasure - Andy Bell and Vince Clarke.

Here's my ranking of their main albums with favorite songs/lyrics.

1. I Say I Say I Say (1994)
The greatest album of all time, IMO.

Top 5
1. Take Me Back - Take me back to the place where I once belonged
1. I Love Saturday - Just one look into those eyes you had me falling completely, head over heels in love with you
1. Man In the Moon - Sinking down into the covers, sleep to the beat of your heart
1. So The Story Goes - See the lies unfold, hear the miracle
1. Run To The Sun - Here's one for the road and may God's love go with you
1. Always - When it's cold outside am I here in vain?
1. All Through The Years - All the feelings I remember I cannot hide, not for want of trying
1. Blues Away - Screaming in the dead of night I wish to be understood
1. Miracle - We'll be going home, where the passion covers me with love
1. Because You're So Sweet - The light in your eyes touches the sky and I'm your man again

Top B-Side
Tenderest Moments - You could be my angel who just walks out of a dream

2. Erasure (1995)
Not far behind ISISIS in release date nor greatness.

Top 5
1. Sono Luminus - Love can move a mountain yes there's nothing that it can't do
2. Rock Me Gently - And there's more to life than thrills and spills and dollar bills
3. Grace - Where's the sense in senseless violence? Hear the silence too forgiving
4. Stay With Me - Stand by me and I will fill you with devotion
5. I Love You - Take these tears...away from your love

3. Chorus (1990)
Some will argue this is the best. They're wrong but I can see the case.

Top 5
1. Joan - It's just not within the scheme of things to give up your life so easily
2. Waiting For The Day - And perhaps I will forgive you and the hurt will disappear
3. Perfect Stranger - Still more fool me for killing myself that's the way it should be
4. Am I Right? - I can see the old cathedral but I have to play it down
5. Turns The Love To Anger - It's not for us to reason why or to ponder over strategy

Top B-Side
Let It Flow - All is love and love is fine

4. Loveboat (2000)
Some will say this is the worst Erasure album. They are most definitely wrong.

Top 5
1. Freedom - Cherish the union, the light in a stranger's eyes
2. Love Is The Rage - I bet you think this song is about ya
3. Catch 22 - If I seem nervous will you show me what to do?
4. Surreal - Should I go curl up and die?
5. Here In My Heart - I can see in your eyes, my desire

5. The Circus (1987)
Like Loveboat, absolutely amazes with the concept.

Top 5
1. Spiralling - I know that this is something I'll get over, maybe I can learn to love another
2. If I Could - Turning keys, locking doors, I won't accept that anymore
3. The Circus - Call it new technology and they use it to burn and they show no concern
4. It Doesn't Have To Be - A heart on the inside, the same as any other
5. Don't Dance - There's no rhythm that you have to follow

Top B-Side
The Soldier's Return - And she cries for the soldier's return, despair for feeling alone for so long

6. The Innocents (1988)
Synth legends! Taking liberty with WINY(MM) as an original track, it's on my album but not the original version of the song.

1. When I Needed You (Melancholic Mix) - I'd live a different story if you were next to me
2. A Little Respect - What religion or reason could drive a man to forsake his lover?
3. Chains Of Love - How can I explain when there are few words I can choose?
4. Heart Of Stone - I'm as good as dead, yeah
5. Hallowed Ground - Are we living for an uncertain future?

Top B-Side
Don't Suppose - I won't be sleeping I won't turn out the light I got heartache enough for tomorrow

7. The Violet Flame (2014)
The album before World Be Gone is solid.

1. Under The Wave - Sure there ain't no cure for love but someone's got to save me from it
2. Reason - You are the reason I live, you are the reason that I forgive
3. Be The One - Oooh, life only lasts but a moment
4. Sacred - Never feel that you're alone, hold on tight and I'll be strong
5. Stayed A Little Late Tonight - This ain't a two-way conversation, why I couldn't listen long ago?

8. Wonderland (1986)
The foundation is solid.

Top 5
1. Cry So Easy - What's the use in trying when nothing's going right?
2. My Heart...So Blue - Our eyes are open when it suits us to see
3. Oh L'Amour - What's a boy in love supposed to do?
4. Reunion - They try so hard to stop me still I call out your name
5. March On Down The Line - A new day, a new way, I'm coming out this time

Top B-Side
Push Me Shove Me - I don't call that love me, I call that over

9. Nightbird (2005)
Erasure's most personal album IMO, haunting.

Top 5
1. Here I Go Impossible Again - How many dreams am I looking for in your eyes?
2. I Bet You're Mad At Me - Tell the world you're still afraid, been on this road too long
3. I Broke It All In Two - I see the tables turn, please don't desert me now
4. Breathe - I let my head rule my heart now I'm feeling so lonely
5. Let's Take One More Rocket To The Moon - Love without knowing, I'm out of my mind

Top B-Side
Gone Crazy - What's the difference one more lie? Let's pretend and say goodbye.

10. Cowboy (1997)
Good, not great, pop songs but coming off their two best albums, a disappointment.

Top 5
1. Treasure - News coming in nation wide, not a grain of truth to be heard
2. Boy - Is the guilty party me? I don't think so
3. World's On Fire - Call my name aloud and I'll be there for you
4. In My Arms - Your colors are magnificent from magenta to bright blue
5. Rain - My world in light, saving all as one

11. Tomorrow's World (2011)
Short at only 9 songs, get the double disc edition for some demos and remixes that outshine the originals.

Top 5
1. Be With You - Ooo love is coming, sure love is coming
2. Just When I Thought It Was Ending - It's just a matter of time and only time, will heal you
3. Fill Us With Fire - There'll be no sense in pity, we will fly into heaven
4. I Lose Myself - I'm not too concerned about the bitch I've been, they sure must have all deserved it
5. When I Start To (Break It All Down) - If I make it through the whole night, everything's gonna be alright

12. Wild! (1989)
I can vouch for the top 3 songs on this list as some of Erasure's greatest. The rest of the album? Not so much.

Top 5
1. You Surround Me - Don't ever let me take you for granted
2. Blue Savannah - Will I discover that your love will bring me home?
3. How Many Times? - Love leave me alone, I've got troubles of my own
4. Piano Song - Never get angry at the stupid people
5. 2,000 Miles - I need to be at least 2,000 miles away from you!

Top B-Side
Paradise - There are better things that a man can do than to waste his time on a no good fool like you

13. Light At The End Of The World (2007)
Erasure's worst studio album IMO though there's some decent tracks like When A Lover Leaves You.

Top 5
1. When A Lover Leaves You - Where there are demons I see angels passing by
2. How My Eyes Adores You - When I close my eyes you're the only one I love
3. Fly Away - Fly away upon the wings of love, though I'll be here again tomorrow
4. I Don't Know Why - We are touching something spiritual and divine
5. Glass Angel - Talk with me, walk with me, play with me, stay with me, angel

Album Rankings, short form:
1. I Say I Say I Say
2. Erasure
3. Chorus
4. Loveboat
5. The Circus
6. The Innocents
7. The Violet Flame
8. Wonderland
9. Nightbird
10. Cowboy
11. Tomorrow's World
12. Wild!
13. Light At The End Of The World

xx. World Be Gone?

Other Erasure Albums
The Two-Ring Circus - The Circus remixed, includes 3 outstanding orchestral songs of If I Could and Spiralling from The Circus, and My Heart...So Blue, from Wonderland.

Crackers International - Solid EP. STOP! Before you make a fool out of love.

Abba-Esque - 4 covers, 1 is outstanding, S.O.S.

Other People's Songs - As stated by the album name, other people's songs. Solsbury Hill and When Will I See You Again are must listens as they outshine their classic counterparts...yeah, for real.

Union Street - Acoustic versions of some Erasure songs. Excellent.

On The Road To Nashville - Country-ish versions of some Erasure songs, live. Decent.

Snow Globe - Erasure's Christmas themed album. Couldn't tell ya as I don't own it, for some reason(???).

EBX 1, 2, 3, 4 - Collection of Singles, remixes, b-sides from Wonderland through Chorus. Includes Crackers International and Abba-Esque. Have these where I get best B-Side for the rankings above for many albums.

From Moscow to Mars - 30 Years of select Erasure tracks on 11 discs plus the Wild! Tour on DVD. A die hard fan already has 90% of this. You'd get a better bang for the buck purchasing the original albums for probably the same price when all is said and done, if not less, and you'd have way more awesome songs not included in this collection. Wild! Tour released on DVD for the first time. From this compilation is this amazing reworking of Waiting For The Day.

Of course, some other compilation albums throughout the years as well in POP! and POP! 2 and another one as well.

Obviously I could go on with rankings, best remixes and whatnot...which there are many outstanding ones as seen like Waiting For The Day, above.

Well what say you Erasure fans and new Erasure converts who are finding them through this posting? What do you think of the World Be Gone songs? Past Erasure hits? Disagree with my rankings? What did I overlook?

Bulzeeb

this is the band with the weird video that lend its music to that robot unicorn game from cartoon network, right? I remember liking that song and being extremely entertained by that funny video

this is the band with the weird video that lend its music to that robot unicorn game from cartoon network, right? I remember liking that song and being extremely entertained by that funny video

Yes, and that song, Always, is on the greatest album of all time, my avatar. You should give it a listen since you like that song...see the OP...the album is linked.

Bulzeeb

Yes, and that song, Always, is on the greatest album of all time, my avatar. You should give it a listen since you like that song...see the OP...the album is linked.

nice, will do, who knows, maybe their songs might find their way to my usual playlist

I can see that, this OP is quite informative to be honnest.

I love robot unicorn attack.

That was a fun game and I admit that the song was one of the things that made it stood out, maybe they should add that pice of info to the thread title (the ones from robot unicorn attack) might catch the attention of people that played the game but didn't pay attention to the band that played the music

GAF treats Erasure like an erasure.

If you're in NYC, there's an early release party tonight, Wednesday, at Stonewall Inn...listen to the album, buy it two days before anyone else. Free entry but gotta buy 2 drinks according to erasureinfo.com, the official Erasure website. Prizes and Erasure karaoke!

Andy Bell interview with Phil Marriott(who?) regarding new album and other Erasure stuff through the years.

His favorite Erasure tracks: Rock Me Gently, Am I Right?, Chorus and favorite albums: Nightbird, Chorus and Loveboat

Worth a listen.

Haha...the next interview in queue after that is just as good. Vince Clarke is like, "Who is Selena Gomez?" I don't know either Vince...think she dated Bieber or something.

WiseguyMVP

Was a regular at the legendary Chicago club, Medusa's, when The Innocents came out. Songs from that album and Wonderland were in heavy rotation along with all of the other influential New Wave, House, Punk and Industrial music classics from the period. Great music.

This album is pretty darn good after one listen. A Bitter Parting is my least favorite. though not horrible, the other 9...I enjoy quite a lot.

Top 5 Songs so far:

World Be Gone - "World be gone, or are you filled with love in the way that you promised us long ago."
Take Me Out Of Myself
Sweet Summer Loving
Lousy Sum Of Nothing
Just A Little Love

Socreges

Banned
No joke I saw Erasure and wondered 'Could this be the same dude from Nintendorks and Orange Monka and he's still around'

Sure enough. Hope you're well

That's me. I feel so loved. =)

I'm the only diehard Erasure fan on videogame message boards.

I'm the only diehard Pet Shop Boys fan on videogame message boards, so I feel that you're my natural enemy. We are opposed and I won't stand for Erasure threads, no matter what.

Seriously, though, I do love a bit of Erasure. I have fond childhood memories of wearing the tapes of The Two Ring Circus and Wild out on my stereo system. Also, their best album, Chorus, is probably in my top ten albums of all time. Their output during that era was crazy good, with their best b-sides by far, some ace remixes and all those 'vincestrumentals', t'was a good time to be alive.

I'm always up for a new Erasure album. The last one was decent, but a bit too disposable. Tomorrow's World was fantastic, mind you.

8 random, slightly obscure Erasure tracks that I love. Volume 1.

Waiting For Sex
Possibly my favourite b-side. It's a natural partner to the beautifully sardonic, Love To Hate You.

Storm in a Teacup (Extended Mix)
Taken from the remix album, Storm Chaser. The original comes from their worst album, by far, but this track stands tall from the mediocrity. Wistful and melancholic, it's a great tune. Shame about the rest of the album.

Sweet Surrender
This is a gorgeous track with a great, euphoric instrumental break in the middle for extra bonus points. It also makes me think of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, simply because I had the Nightbird album on my headphones whilst playing the game. It's why Mario 64 always reminds me of the Nirvana album, In Utero.

When I Needed You
Taken from The Innocents, an album filled with hits like A Little Respect and Ship of Fools etc. This one wasn't a single, but a gem of an album track that should get more appreciation.

Am I Right (Grid Remix)
Time for a few from my favourite Erasure album. This one is a remix, taken from a really good remix EP. The original is more of a ballad, still this remix retains the melancholic beauty of the original but turns it into more of a disco record.

Siren Song
Also taken from the album, Chorus. This is another slice of melancholia that just lifts your spirit and soars on the wings of Andy's euphoric vocal before it descends into darkness for the final minute of the song. They were really on their game for the entirety of the Chorus era.

Here In My Heart
Taken from Loveboat, it's perhaps the best track on a strange, inconsistent album that I actually have grown fond of over the years. Loveboat is a strange lo-fi electronic album that is an odd outlier amongst the lavish, camp pop of their other albums. It's pretty divisive amongst the fans, but most agree that this track is a gem.

Ghost
A b-side from the I Say, I Say, I Say era. I tend to gravitate to their darker, less poppy tracks and this is a fine example.

Updated OP with full set of links except for poor Nightbird where I can't find a complete album and the orchestra version of If I Could. Hope the links spur further discussion. If you see some lyrics or cool title...click the link! My fingers thank you. =)

Vince Clarke is a fucking legend but I never got properly into Erasure. I listen to some of their stuff every now and then. I should maybe go through their discography more thoroughly.

Bonus picture of Vince Clarke in his synthesizer tank (he actually drove that thing around on stage):

8 random, slightly obscure Erasure tracks that I love. Volume 1.

YEAHHH!!!!

Waiting For Sex
Possibly my favourite b-side. It's a natural partner to the beautifully sardonic, Love To Hate You.

Not a song I've given many listens but yeah, it's ok.

Storm in a Teacup (Extended Mix)
Taken from the remix album, Storm Chaser. The original comes from their worst album, by far, but this track stands tall from the mediocrity. Wistful and melancholic, it's a great tune. Shame about the rest of the album.

As you can see from my review, I also think LATEOTW is the worst Erasure album. I like Storm In A Teacup to a degree...think some of the lyrics are kinda dumb with some good ones sprinkled in. I don't own Storm Chaser(mainly because I'm not a fan of LATEOTW) so I haven't heard this version. I did download When A Lover Leaves You (Oscar Salguero Mix) which takes a good song and turns it into a great one though.

Sweet Surrender
This is a gorgeous track with a great, euphoric instrumental break in the middle for extra bonus points. It also makes me think of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, simply because I had the Nightbird album on my headphones whilst playing the game. It's why Mario 64 always reminds me of the Nirvana album, In Utero.

Decent track. Also not one I listen to often.

When I Needed You
Taken from The Innocents, an album filled with hits like A Little Respect and Ship of Fools etc. This one wasn't a single, but a gem of an album track that should get more appreciation.

#1 on my The Innocents ranking. Top 10 Erasure song. "I'd like to be a pirate ship." That's some creative writing.

Am I Right (Grid Remix)
Time for a few from my favourite Erasure album. This one is a remix, taken from a really good remix EP. The original is more of a ballad, still this remix retains the melancholic beauty of the original but turns it into more of a disco record.

My media player has this at 2 stars(mis-click???). I have the Dave Bascombe mix at 4. The original is of course a 5 star song.

Siren Song
Also taken from the album, Chorus. This is another slice of melancholia that just lifts your spirit and soars on the wings of Andy's euphoric vocal before it descends into darkness for the final minute of the song. They were really on their game for the entirety of the Chorus era.

"Embrace the honesty of nightfall." Great song.

Here In My Heart
Taken from Loveboat, it's perhaps the best track on a strange, inconsistent album that I actually have grown fond of over the years. Loveboat is a strange lo-fi electronic album that is an odd outlier amongst the lavish, camp pop of their other albums. It's pretty divisive amongst the fans, but most agree that this track is a gem.

Ditto, this album grew on me as well. Solid track, hence why it's on my list. Glad you confirm its awesomeness.

Ghost
A b-side from the I Say, I Say, I Say era. I tend to gravitate to their darker, less poppy tracks and this is a fine example.

Like Waiting For Sex, not a song I listen to. I don't even own this one. Listening to it now, it's good but not better than Tenderest Moments, IMO.

Thanks for quality post dude!

I've listened to most of them so far, just the once, mind you, and one thing is clear, it's a bit darker, moodier and less poppier than The Violet Flame. That's an album I initially liked, but it didn't really stay with me beyond the honeymoon period. This one feels like it's going to be a grower. I'll stick it on my mp3 player and see how I get on with it.

KingDirk

Subscribing d/t all the recommendations in this thread. I Say I Say I Say is a phenomenal album but I am fairly negligent on the rest of their discography.

This album moves into #7 on my list of best Erasure albums(for now)...just above The Violet Flame.

It is a work of art. Beautiful. Depressing. Uplifting. Filled with beautiful lyrics that you should take with you through life. They've done it again.

Top Bottom