• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanity Fair debuts four The Last Jedi covers

J_Viper

Girl next to Boyega looks like a fan at a convention lol

Strange that they're bringing back Phasma. I feel like they dropped the ball on that character so hard in TFA that I can't take her seriously anymore.

I still don't know what JJ was thinking there.

Fury451

Banned
Kylo has that perfect eye scar that somehow doesn't damage the eye, or disfigure his face too much. Cool photos though, that Luke and Rey one especially

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Goddamn, those are some good looking people.

[edit]

I like Kelly Marie Tran's shit eating grin while everyone else is rocking their blue steel.

-griffy-

Banned
It's never actually shown on screen. The trash compactor thing was them joking around I'm sure. Though it does seem strange that she'd be subdued, presumably stuffed away somewhere, then be able to escape and find a way off Starkiller before it exploded.

It's not really that strange though. A lot of shit happened between when we last saw Phasma and when the place exploded.

But he was supposed to be a "villain in the making".

He's supposed to grow during the trilogy as a villain.

But I'm not buying it when all you can see from his defeat is a tiny scar on the face.

At least a fucked up face would have made his look more interesting and less "insecure teen".

Man, this shit is so fucking vapid. Ren will be intimidating based on his actions, not his look.

Hitler was a midget with a shit moustache. The Columbine dudes were skinny little kids. Evil doesn't adapt to appearance.

He killed Han Solo. That alone makes him an intimidating and worthy villain.

Surfinn

Man, this shit is so fucking vapid. Ren will be intimidating based on his actions, not his look.

Hitler was a midget with a shit moustache. The Columbine dudes were skinny little kids. Evil doesn't adapt to appearance.

Not to mention he already looks menacing as hell in the trailer. Best shot of the whole thing

Dood can stop a blaster beam in mid air as well, he might saber fight like a wounded animal/inexperienced fighter but that puts him at a power level unseen in the movies. Why deflect a blaster if you can just freeze it.

OmegaX

Dood can stop a blaster beam in mid air as well, he might saber fight like a wounded animal/inexperienced fighter but that puts him at a power level unseen in the movies. Why deflect a blaster if you can just freeze it.

Darth Vader could stop blaster beams with his hand as seen in TESB and Rogue One.

Please do Phasma justice in this movie. It's all I'm asking for.

She was the most disappointing thing in TFA for me. A badass looking stormtrooper that goes out like a punk.

star-wars-cover-2017-VF-02.jpg

You can see the reflection of the photo shoot set, cool

Rose last name is Tico according to Vanity Fair.

Was it in the article originally? I can't remember seeing it.

Fan favorite intergalactic flyboy pin-up, Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), is on the third cover, with friends Finn (John Boyega) and the droid BB-8 (as himself). Boyega, healthy and ready for action, is looking much better here than in his comatose state at the conclusion of The Force Awakens. There are some hints about his Last Jedi escapades in our cover story. He's joined both on those adventures and in this portrait by Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran)—a Resistance maintenance worker and the new character with the most screen time in Episode VIII.

- J - D -

It bothers me a little bit that out of everyone on these covers, the only one not looking directly at the camera (and the viewer) is Hamill.

bill0527

Please do Phasma justice in this movie. It's all I'm asking for.

She was the most disappointing thing in TFA for me. A badass looking stormtrooper that goes out like a punk.

See I don't agree with this. To me, Phasma is just another Boba Fett. Cool to look it for a few scenes but I want most of the screen time and story to be centered around the Skywalker drama and other events.

My brother, after seeing Star Wars, told me that he "didn't like that they made the lead Stormtrooper a girl just because they could".

1) Phasma has so little screentime
2) It does not matter what gender they are.

See I don't agree with this. To me, Phasma is just another Boba Fett. Cool to look it for a few scenes but I want most of the screen time and story to be centered around the Skywalker drama and other events.

I think (not that I'm looking to feed the IT'S GONNA BE EMPIRE narrative) we're going to see our heroes remain split up, and the villains will be split to deal with them.

These covers reinforce that to some extent:

Luke & Rey will be paired off against Kylo & Snoke

Hux & Phasma will be chasing down/going after Poe/Finn/Rose

Leia will probably be dealing w/ Laura Dern in one way or another.

It'll all probably come together in the last 20-30 min, and probably won't end very well for Luke & Leia. I wouldn't be surprised if it also doesn't end very well for Hux & Snoke.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't know why they didn't make Phasma* take TR-8Rs place in the Finn beat down scene. And then make the person who turns off the shield generator on "totally not the Death Star again" just some no name officer (great cameo opportunity there!)

jelly

Evil really ages.

Phasma's shiny armour still looks ridiculous. Glad her helmet is off though, maybe she gets a good part now.

But he was beaten by a girl and he doesn't look hot! My teenage masculinity can't stand this!

Buckle

I really wish they put a helmet back on Ren. He doesn't look remotely intimidating.
I don't really think he's supposed to be all that intimidating. Feels like that was the whole point of the reveal when he took off the mask. You were expecting some scarred stoic sith lord veteran.

Kylo Ren is more of an unstable lunatic like prequel era Anakin. He's all impulse.

How are people still not getting that Kylo Ren is a fucking school shooter, and not a Schwarzenegger villain?

He's not threatening because of his look. He's threatening because he's the sort of pindick shithead who thinks his look is threatening, and someone that self-delusional and misguided is pretty fucking dangerous. They can convince themselves of anything, and if they feel like convincing themselves that you are beneath them, and that you don't deserve to live so that they can feel better, then that's what's going to happen.

He's the perfect villain for Star Wars in the 21st century: A Star Wars fan who doesn't actually understand Star Wars, and hates you for getting it.

How are people still not getting that Kylo Ren is a fucking school shooter, and not a Schwarzenegger villain?

He's not threatening because of his look. He's threatening because he's the sort of pindick shithead who thinks his look is threatening, and someone that self-delusional and misguided is pretty fucking dangerous. They can convince themselves of anything, and if they feel like convincing themselves that you are beneath them, and that you don't deserve to live so that they can feel better, then that's what's going to happen.

He's the perfect villain for Star Wars in the 21st century: A Star Wars fan who doesn't actually understand Star Wars, and hates you for getting it.

Yeah and honestly I'd rather see Driver's face during performance. His scenes at the end would've been far less effective had he not ditched it.

BTM

Yeah and honestly I'd rather see Driver's face during performance. His scenes at the end would've been far less effective had he not ditched it.

Yep, Kylo Ren is probably my favorite character from TFA. Pretty excited to see where they take him in TLJ.

Top Bottom