• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

JSevere

I'm not a shipping man, but Betty and Jughead is the power couple of this show

Josie when her dad straight up left during the Pussycats' performance :(

Solid episode tonight. Not a big fan of the singing, but I actually kind've liked the Pussycats cover tonight. I also love how everyone's hooking up now, haha. Super excited for next week since it looks Jughead centric. It also looks like his dad and Archie's are going to get into some sort of fight. Archie's dad is the only good parent in this show so far; everyone else is pretty awful.

cj_iwakura

I'll give the show credit, I thought I had it figured. I was so sure Archie and Valerie was a one shot, at best.

The product placement thing has to be deliberate. By the next episode I expect a line along the lines of "You're as thick as NEW COVER GIRL EYELINER!"

Why is every adult sans Fred Andrews a complete tool?

I saw that Bughead kiss coming, but maaaan, did it feel forced.

Based on Veronica almost performing with Archie, are we getting foreshadowing for the Archies later in the season?

cj_iwakura

Felt like they deliberately left Bughead open with her (lack of) reaction. But yeah, predictable.

The Pussycats logo was too perfect.

This show is wild

Welp. I love how ridiculous this show is.

Glad the show is back on track.

This show is a goddamn rollercoaster from start to finish. So goddamn great.

so good. yeah bughead!! can someone please post product placement gif, too funny

Solid episode tonight.

I'll give the show credit, I thought I had it figured. I was so sure Archie and Valerie was a one shot, at best.

Thanks everyone!!

Dahbomb

Man the parents continue to be complete dirt bags, even Josie's dad ended up being one.. made her mother look like a decent person (who by the way is a corrupt, power hungry and agenda driven politician).

Archie's side of the story continues to be meh but he had some good pieces of dialogue in there at least.

Man my Polly theory is in the gutter now. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I do hope for my twists in the future, keep me on edge.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This episode was really good. The show keeps getting stronger now that we're at the point where the characters can just be bounced off each other and we don't need introductions. Couple thoughts:

- "Bughead" is REAL! About time that balloon popped.
- I still think Polly might be a little...off. She seemed manic before Betty told her about Jason
- Josie's dad is dick.
- Alice Cooper is becoming a great classic soap opera villain. She completely emasculated Hal in front of Betty. Damn.
- Archie had a good arc here, where he learned that you can't just drop people and he ultimately decided not to use anyone as a crutch if he wanted to become a better artist
- They were not sneaky about the CoverGirl product placement. Haha get that $$$$
- I like that Mel's drumkit has the classic Pussycats logo
- Val is soooo fine. Her and Archie are a good couple. Her character getting some much development has been a welcome surprise.
- The talent show music playing over Betty & Jughead's investigation was a nice touch
- "Veronica ex Machina" lol
- I wanna know what's up with Archie and the Werewolf masks. He's afraid of it but he has one himself...and he associates that with his teammates on the football team? WHAT DID THEY DO?!

Riverdale Suspect of The Week: Ethel. It's Ethel. She killed Jason because she became obsessed with him. Finding out that Polly was pregnant and they were running away sent her over the edge. She's a known creeper too, so she was watching Betty and Jughead.

Another great episode. I love that the show has already found it's groove.

A few minor gripes. I'm glad that Valerie is getting more attention, but they should of had her call out Archie for offering Veronica the part back right in front of her. And I wish she would of stood her ground a bit more with Josie.

Also for everyone saying Archie's dad is the only decent parent, Kevin's dad (the sheriff) hasn't really done anything dubious either. I'd actually like to see more of his relationship with Kevin.

Not really feeling "Bughead". Hope it's just a one off. I'd like to see Jughead be asexual, which is more inline with his comic persona.

Did we see anyone except Betty directly interact with Polly throughout the episode? (Maybe I'm just clutching at straws.)

Another fun episode, fortunately this time I've got the new Archie Vol 2 TPB to stave off the withdrawal symptoms until next week.

that hallway strut tho

yaass. it was great. veronica is great in anything!

EDIT: just finished the episode.

Poor Veronica. it's just not her time this episode.

also for a place for troubled teens the people at that place are trusting if they don't have bars on the window.

i'm guessing the serpents have something to do with Jason's death. maybe. inb4 miles was pinged to go start a fire that's why he really left the scene.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The preview for the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-RVjhMW32E

Did we see anyone except Betty directly interact with Polly throughout the episode? (Maybe I'm just clutching at straws.)

Another fun episode, fortunately this time I've got the new Archie Vol 2 TPB to stave off the withdrawal symptoms until next week.
After Alice arrived she, Betty and Jughead saw Polly in the corridor, Polly went wild at her mom and was restrained by two guys. It would have to be one hell of a deception lol.

Btw, her escape story with Jason does sound iffy. There's definitely more to it with the drugs, Cheryl not knowing about it, and Mr. Cooper telling Betty that it was just Polly's fantasy. I'm loving that we don't really know wtf is going on anymore because no one can be trusted.

Fuu

I still want Bughead to be Juggie's way of realizing he's asexual, but this "are you going to eat that?" moment was pretty cute:

KBWndpZ.gif

They were in their own world while the rest of the table was talking about Archie's performance on the variety show.

VeeP

Since Archie reminds everyone of Jason, I'm wondering if
Polly
is gonna go all crazy and kidnap him or something lol? Or maybe that's too much. Either way, episode was great. Can't wait for the next one.

Goodstyle

I still want Bughead to be Juggie's way of realizing he's asexual, but this "are you going to eat that?" moment was pretty cute:

KBWndpZ.gif

They were in their own world while the rest of the table was talking about Archie's performance on the variety show.

I'm all for more inclusiveness and everything, but being asexual would be a boring turn for Jughead. Oh, so he's not attracted to anyone? That's... cool, but that basically means he can't be a romantic prospect for any of the characters. I don't know... that just feels limiting somehow. I like Bughead, this would kill it and force Betty into that famous love triangle again. With Bughead they can explore Jughead feeling inadequate and being insecure about Betty's past Archie obsession. There's so much story to tell there.

Fuu

I'm all for more inclusiveness and everything, but being asexual would be a boring turn for Jughead. Oh, so he's not attracted to anyone? That's... cool, but that basically means he can't be a romantic prospect for any of the characters. I don't know... that just feels limiting somehow. I like Bughead, this would kill it and force Betty into that famous love triangle again. With Bughead they can explore Jughead feeling inadequate and being insecure about Betty's past Archie obsession. There's so much story to tell there.
I think that relationship complexities like those can be explored without necessarily involving romantic feelings. Everyone hooking up is actually the sort of stuff that eventually makes me bored in shows like this, haha. It's just the easy way out for drama and the show is stronger when it explores friendship sensibilities, like it happened between Veronica and Archie this episode.

That's my personal stance though, I'm definitely not against romance and I get what you're saying. It's just that even more than representation that's part of what makes Jughead unique even in the old stories.

We'll see where it goes from here. Betty didn't reject the kiss but she didn't seem very interested either, so who knows what they're planning.

Goodstyle

I think that relationship complexities like those can be explored without necessarily involving romantic feelings. Everyone hooking up is actually the sort of stuff that eventually makes me bored in shows like this, haha. It's just the easy way out for drama and the show is stronger when it explores friendship sensibilities, like it happened between Veronica and Archie this episode.

That's my personal stance though, I'm definitely not against romance and I get what you're saying. It's just that even more than representation that's part of what makes Jughead unique even in the old stories.

We'll see where it goes from here. Betty didn't reject the kiss but she didn't seem very interested either, so who knows what they're planning.

Ya, maybe I should expand my perspective a bit. I do like the emphasis this show places on friendship. Veronica and Josie for example did have some good stuff this ep.

geestack

this ep was great, it felt like a great twist on a classic archie plot from the comics (veronica joining the pussycats, archie in a talent show). i'm liking the betty + jughead detective combo too, those two are the real mvps

chefbags

Lol when I saw juggy and Betty kiss I screamed out loud. That tension was there for a while so I'm glad something moved forward. They're my favorite maybe couple together lol.
I could give less of a fuck of Betty and Archie tbh.

PK Gaming

Great episode.

Josie's really starting to develop into one of the show's stronger characters. Giving us a look into her home life was exactly what she needed in order to be a compelling character. I also like how Val ended up being her own character as well, rather than just a typical satellite character. Betty and Jughead stuff was great. Archie's plotline was good, and it's still amusing how incidental he is to the overarching mystery (for now).

I've gotta hand it to the show though, I still have no idea who the murderer is.

Fuu

Great episode.

Josie's really starting to develop into one of the show's stronger characters. Giving us a look into her home life was exactly what she needed in order to be a compelling character. I also like how Val ended up being her own character as well, rather than just a typical satellite character. Betty and Jughead stuff was great. Archie's plotline was good, and it's still amusing how incidental he is to the overarching mystery (for now).

I've gotta hand it to the show though, I still have no idea who the murderer is.
I actuallly chuckled when Archie wanted to go with Betty and Jughead to see Polly and Jug said it would call too much attention if the whole Scooby gang went there. Not even when he wanted to be part of the mistery the plot let him, lol.

Yeah, figured Polly got pregnant and they were going to run away, still got a feeling Polly killed him and that's why she got sent away. Did we have a date on when Polly was sent away?

Poor Josie. Her face as her butthead father was walking out. :( Fred is like the only decent parent in Riverdale.

Damn those outfits though. O_O

*puts on lawyer hat*

Unless Polly is considered a danger to herself or others, she can't be forcibly detained in any sort of facility.
Well, she's probably still a minor when sent to that religious institution and we don't fully know how bonker balls Polly is yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just realized, Cheryl wasn't in this episode, was she?

Nope, but it explained this.

Also, seems a reminder is needed that we're supposed to put spoiler tags on talk of unaired episode previews.

Fuu

Yeah, figured Polly got pregnant and they were going to run away, still got a feeling Polly killed him and that's why she got sent away. Did we have a date on when Polly was sent away?
If Polly's flashback is to be trusted it was on July 4th. She packed to run away with Jason, went downstairs and the people from the home were waiting with Alice to take her.

Pluto

This episode convinced me even more that Betty's dad is the killer. Mrs. Cooper laughing and declaring he couldn't have done is probably set up for revealing him because he wanted to prove himself or something.

On the other hand the Coopers' hate for the Blossoms is so over the top that it kinda makes me think they're too obvious as the potential killers but that could be by design, audiences have been trained to look for suspects who aren't doing happy dances on the dead person's grave, so it would be smart to hide the killer in plain sight by having him be a very obvious suspect.

Very good episode. Archie's chemistry with Valerie is a billion times more then the chemistry he has with Betty and Veronica. Which might be because the show gives us a limited amount of scenes he shares with either of them. It's been a good few episodes since we've had a one on one Betty and Archie scene which is kind of weird given the love triangle is still a main factor of the show.

I do not care for Betty and Jughead as a couple. I was preferring their friendship as a detective duo so them kissing didn't really work with me. On that note I'm not too wild about Archie's dad and Veronica's mom romance either.

I went goddamn when Josie's dad left his seat with like twenty seconds of the song to go. That product placement wasn't subtle at all too.

Betty's mom and dad are still on the suspect list, especially her dad. There's still some extra reason why they hate Jason that stretches past the pregnancy and the maple syrup business being stolen from them.

Archie continues to be the most uninteresting of the main characters and even compared to recurring characters he's not high on the list. He's still a good character and I don't hate him but I feel like if you cut out most of his scenes you wouldn't miss much about the actual plot.

Pachimari

Just finished last week's episode and Betty's dad is super suspicious now. Probably my suspect number one. Also I hate Cheryl's mom. I also think Jason and Cheryl maybe had an affair.

Time to watch this week's episode.

Top Bottom