• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Dazza

Has there been a sudden increase in natural disasters/episodes? First Harvey and now the heat in california then this? Doesn't sound like much I guess but its still more then last year I'm guessing.

This was all forecast to happen as climate change progresses. Extremes will be enhanced. It's happening world wide, record breaking events occurring with shorter timeframes between each one. Honestly if climate change was only about rising water levels and a couple of degrees hotter it would be easy to tackle. Natural weather disasters and food security which result in political instability are bigger issues.

Stay safe, FloridaGAF

image.php

Hurricane is coming..

Definitely doesn't look great.

image.php

I'm full of terror..

Lkr

Please gtfo the way of this hurricane, im so tired of seeing people die from something thats predicted
The unfortunate reality is a lot of people that don't evacuate simply are unable to. Some people lack a place to go, some lack transportation, and many would rather go out with their property than lose it all and be unable to replace it. An early state of emergency declaration should help some in this case, but you're always gonna have people that would rather go down with their property than lose it all.

Dysun

I work for the major (only) power provider in South Florida. This is going to be a hell of a week. Hope it misses Miami and veers off the coast.

I work for the major (only) power provider in South Florida. This is going to be a hell of a week. Hope it misses Miami and veers off the coast.

If FLP fails, I call for the BANNING OF DYSUN!!!!!!!!!

Be safe out there, bud. Y'all deserve all the blessings..

Anyone made an IrmaGERD joke yet? Want to get it out of the way before any fatalities.

Is this negro humor? Negro humor always escapes me..

Joezie

Kennedy Space center Area reporting in. No way in the every living fuck am I riding out a possible Cat 4 this close to the water.. Tomorrow will be the start of a very long week. If anything like last time I'll be retreating inland to the Orlando area with other relatives.

Ponn

Banned
Please gtfo the way of this hurricane, im so tired of seeing people die from something thats predicted

Being in Jax the only real place to go is Georgia, soooo...weighing those options.

On a serious note i'm more worried about my sis in Naples/Bonita. They have been having horrible flooding issues the last week or so and their roads are already rivers. She will never leave her place because of all the animals they have.

Dysun

If FLP fails, I call for the BANNING OF DYSUN!!!!!!!!!

Be safe out there, bud. Y'all deserve all the blessings..

Is this negro humor? Negro humor always escapes me..

Much appreciated, it will be a giant undertaking to make sure electricity stays on or is restored as quickly as possible if it does make landfall.

The post you are responding to is ridiculous.

Let's wish destruction and death on people who may, or may not, have a similar political outlook as me. FFS

I noticed that other people had similar responses.

In another thread that is strictly political, GAFers say these sorts of things somewhat regularly (examples: Bugs Bunny .gif sawing off Florida; hoping that boomers die off so that the political climate can shift). That's where this person's attitude came from.

Unfortunately for them, this is not the appropriate topic for such sentiment.

While I'm still here, this image is NUTS!

800.jpeg

Matthew didn't even make landfall.

This.

We might be looking at Andrew levels of fucked, here with a margin of error roughly the size of the state.

In any case, I won't be cooping up. There will be people who need help in my area. I've already stocked up on enough drinking water and non-perishables for a week or so just in case.

FiggyCal

Banned
Dude, what are you talking about, our main issue continues to be flooding. Hollywood, Hallandale, Davie, Sunrise, etc continue to have issues with flooding just from regular rains. Miami Beach and Aventura are even worse.

And given how our building codes continue to decay little by little, I wouldnt be surprised if there are a lot of losses, and not just financial ones.

My neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale gets flooded pretty regularly. Miami is probably the worst though.

shandy706

Be safe guys.

I have 2 little girls, I'd GTFO a couple days before at least if I lived in Florida. I can't imagine having a family in the way of this.

Lkr

Nah, we tanked hurricane Matthew last year head on. Just some flooding, didn't even lose power.
Uhhh...head on but no landfall? Jax is completely surrounded by water. If/when a hurricane makes landfall there, its fucked. Thought about this while driving over the Buckman today

Nah, we tanked hurricane Matthew last year head on. Just some flooding, didn't even lose power.

We got lucky with Matthew last year. Even then it still f'd up the beaches, the pier is still closed, and st. Augustine, Flagler area etc got hit pretty good. I was out in Ponte Vedra Beach Fri night and the dunes are still f'd up/can see damage on some of the mansions still etc. My neighborhood in southside floods during a good summer shower. Jax would absolutely get wrecked with a storm like this hitting head on.

We've been lucky though. Let's hope it stays that way.

Top Bottom