• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Skyrim switch analysis!

From what I remember from the video analysis, Thomas and Richard mentioned the following:

-900p docked
-dynamic resolution in portable mode: native 720p drops to 896 x 720 in open areas
-Based on the special edition
-But some visual effects from the PS4/One version pared back, like depth of field and the removal of volumetric lighting
-LOD differences between docked and portable mode
-LOD on foliage more aggressive in docked mode than PS4 version
-Most textures identical to PS4 version but some odd differences here and there

RootCause

Pretty good port. Really love that the frame rate is consistent. Hope it does well enough to get them to port the Fallout games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Switch is looking promising,
I like that Bethesda is testing the waters to see what the system can do.

hopefully, a few more devs will jump on

I don't mind if the switch gets a shit load of 360/ps3 last gen PC games with an nice lick of paint.

some early PS4/XBONE
Wii and Wii-u ports as well.

what with nintendo first party shed load of Indies and things like Doom/LA Noire. etc

once a few third parties get the hang of developing we may go to a stage where we get new multiplatform games on the switch, but with some down grades like we did with COD on the Wii.

arhra

Of course, the big question with any version of Skyrim is how it holds up after dozens if not hundreds of hours when you've collected every fork in the kingdom and built a collection in your house.

tkscz

Removing volumetric lighting is a bit odd to me as it's everywhere in Mario Odyssey. But good to here the game runs well and stays at 900p in docked mode.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Colours look richer on the switch version?

I think this is because of less lighting effects on switch version, but whatever the reason the more vibrant colours look better in the switch.

SirNinja

That FPS test was remarkable. Rock-solid 30 without so much as a hitch. Glad they took the time to make this as good of a port as possible. It's going to look incredible in portable mode.

785d49584266631aefc56174a0659bde3cbf5af234fa4a609f4cd27c01b56e58.jpg

Steven Universe

Neo Member
How could anyone like such an ugly thing? I guess it’s ok if you don’t have high standards. Seriously, how can anyone enjoy looking at something so ugly and diminished?

Believe it or not, no one likes Grelof the Kind. She’s just an old, heartless hag!

I've wanted a portable version of The Elder Scrolls since I heard about that PSP version of Oblivion that later got cancelled.

I'm down for this. Looks about as good as it possibly could for the hardware it's running on and seemingly no performance issues.

levyjl1988

Banned
Of course, the big question with any version of Skyrim is how it holds up after dozens if not hundreds of hours when you've collected every fork in the kingdom and built a collection in your house.

This. And when you shout and the objects be flying everywhere. I wonder to what degree will it crash the game.

its nonsense to compare it to X1/PS4, then excuse it for being worst in every way when docked, and basically excuse the technical drawbacks by saying well atleast its mobile.
It should be viewed as a portable game console and that's, because it gets a pass on things the X1/PS4 would get hammered on.
So in summary its the worst version, but its mobile.... if only the PSP got this special treatment when it was released.

Alebrije

its nonsense to compare it to X1/PS4, then excuse it for being worst in every way when docked, and basically excuse the technical drawbacks by saying well atleast its mobile.
It should be viewed as a portable game console and that's, because it gets a pass on things the X1/PS4 would get hammered on.
So in summary its the worst version, but its mobile.... if only the PSP got this special treatment when it was released.

Or Vita.

I don't remember anybody complaining about PSP or Vita games looking bad compared to console versions running on better hardware.

The fact is that be it 2005 with the PSP, or 2017 with the Switch, games on mobile devices have always looked worse than their console counterparts, but that doesn't mean they don't look good in their own right.

I was impressed when I first played Killzone Mercenaries on the Vita despite having played better looking FPS games on the PS3 because it looked great for handheld.
Similarly, I'm impressed by seeing Skyrim running on the Switch despite playing a much, much better looking version on the PC with mods.

Why? Because it's on a handheld device, drawing a fraction of the power, with much worse specs and despite that, it still looks good.

f@luS

More than a member.
ロキー;253026549 said:
All you gotta download is a small day one patch for video capture support.
Went digital actually. 40$ on the SA shop. Too good

nick_b

Was holding out for the DF analysis and since it seems to be pretty good I might go ahead and preload. Didn't want to drop 60 bucks on this but since I haven't actually played it thoroughly since launch, other than fiddling with mods, I might be down to clown again.

LordRaptor

lol the butthurt.

Literally every DF compares the PS4 and X1 to the PC, and they 'get a pass' for being a cheap box that connect to a TV.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Funny thing is that this game might be the best version thanks for being portable.

lol the butthurt.

Literally every DF compares the PS4 and X1 to the PC, and they 'get a pass' for being a cheap box that connect to a TV.
I don't understand why you can't make a comment without "butthurt" garbage being thrown around. The console versions of games lose to PC on DF all the time and they almost always recommend the PC version but because the Switch has a portable aspect everything bad about it is absolved because of mobile limitations even though most people probably use it as a home console.

Good for you that you can enjoy the Switch version but it is an article comparing it to the PC and console versions and it's a stinker to most(in that comparison) and passable if you just need portable Skyrim.

SirNinja

They didn't "excuse" it, they basically just said the obvious: don't expect it looking as good as the much-more-powerful PS4/XB1 versions. Also they specifically commented on the (relative) lack of technical drawbacks overall, like only a minimal reduction in distant LOD when going form docked to portable. But I guess people hear what they want...

And again, what exactly are they giving a pass to? Yes, there's some lower-res stuff (because of course there is), but overall it still looks really good, especially in handheld, which is likely how most people are going to play this version.

So in summary its the worst version, but its mobile
They never said this was the worst version. It's the worst of the two between PS4 and Switch, but - again - obviously. (Worst version was on PS3, in any case.)

.... if only the PSP got this special treatment when it was released.

Ahh, the source of the salt makes an unexpectedly early appearance. So you think the PSP failed because of, what, biased coverage or something? Close. Actually, not close. It was the games - both the way in which they came (UMDs were such a weird idea) and the sheer difference in the number of quality titles vs. its rival.

twisted89

Removing volumetric lighting is a bit odd to me as it's everywhere in Mario Odyssey. But good to here the game runs well and stays at 900p in docked mode.

Mario was designed exclusively and explicitly for the Switch, Skyrim is a port, it's never going to squeeze as much performance out the same hardware.

JP

Not a bad port, certainly better than Bethesda's Doom port but I suppose that's expected due to the age of the game.

It's be interesting to see how the machine copes with Wolfenstein.

twisted89

Im confused by the praise. This is a port of a six year old game, should we expect the Switch to run a game this old?

Know of any other portable devices the size of the switch that can run Skyrim at that level? I'm only aware of the GPD Win and it seems that runs like garbage on the non-remastered version.

Pejo

Has any outlet done testing to see how the game plays after extended gameplay? I swore to never buy another Bethesda game on console after the PS3 version of Skyrim, since it became literally unplayable after a number of hours.

nick_b

Actually, watching the video now, this looks pretty much like what I had to run it on at launch. I've never really been as into graphics as I have to keeping a stable framerate. As long as it isn't ass ugly (looking at you Xenoblade on 3ds).

freefornow

Gold Member
Developers have done an excellent job considering the limitations of the hardware.
I have a feeling this will bomb hard though and i feel will sell less than Doom on Switch. Devs are going start wondering if its worth it (unless it is really easy and cheap to port).

Zantagor

Neo Member
Developers have done an excellent job considering the limitations of the hardware.
I have a feeling this will bomb hard though and i feel will sell less than Doom on Switch. Devs are going start wondering if its worth it (unless it is really easy and cheap to port).

It's currently #5 on best seller list on the eshop right now.
1: Mario Odyssey
2: Rocket League
3: Stardew Valley
4: Doom
5: Skyrim (Pre-Purchase)
6: Mario Kart 8 DX

I'll say it's probably doing well overall.

delete12345

I don't remember anybody complaining about PSP or Vita games looking bad compared to console versions running on better hardware.

The fact is that be it 2005 with the PSP, or 2017 with the Switch, games on mobile devices have always looked worse than their console counterparts, but that doesn't mean they don't look good in their own right.

I was impressed when I first played Killzone Mercenaries on the Vita despite having played better looking FPS games on the PS3 because it looked great for handheld.
Similarly, I'm impressed by seeing Skyrim running on the Switch despite playing a much, much better looking version on the PC with mods.

Why? Because it's on a handheld device, drawing a fraction of the power, with much worse specs and despite that, it still looks good.

Yeah, I played my GTA: Liberty City Stories on my PSP, and it looked horrendous. /s

I agree with Phatosaurus here, Switch is downright impressive, considering the technical limitations of the PSP.

Pasedo

Not a bad port, certainly better than Bethesda's Doom port but I suppose that's expected due to the age of the game.

It's be interesting to see how the machine copes with Wolfenstein.

Yeh really interested as well. With devs having more time with the port, it would really show the potential of what this little guy can do and hopefully lead the way for more 3rd party devs. There's simply no more excuses.

Top Bottom