• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 |OT| Don't watch the trailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
how can you argue that having a black alpha is bad when the film is about toothless, an adorable black dragon?
like i dont even understand

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
bad guy is always bad guy because he did bad things. in this case i have not seen the movie yet but just saw scenes it is so bad the sterotypical villnary appearance.

anyway drago the character is not black, and the Alpha Dragon isn't even black at all, toothless is far blacker

Just watched this recently, and I thought it wasn't even in the same league as the first one. I loved the first movie. This one was so predicable and I just found myself bored throughout. And it sucks that the only non white person in the film is the bad guy. He doesn't fit into the world they created at all. The movie did look amazing though.

Just watched this recently, and I thought it wasn't even in the same league as the first one. I loved the first movie. This one was so predicable and I just found myself bored throughout. And it sucks that the only non white person in the film is the bad guy. He doesn't fit into the world they created at all. The movie did look amazing though.
It's set somewhere around Scandinavia, what did you expect?

It's set somewhere around Scandinavia, what did you expect?

What? I would expect the bad guy to look like he came from the same area then. The bad guy is the only character in the movie to have darker skin, different hair texture, and a different accent. And the movie features no back story about where he came from.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What? I would expect the bad guy to look like he came from the same area then. The bad guy is the only character in the movie to have darker skin, different hair texture, and a different accent. And the movie features no back story about where he came from.

Maybe he's a pissed off guy from the Middle East exacting revenge for a member of the Varangian Guard killing his father/mother/sibling/cousin during the Byzantine era. He's so tormented by the loss that his only solution is to wipe out the peoples who supplied such a bodyguard system.

From HTTYD wiki:
According to the How to Train your Dragon Art Book, Drago was designed to look as racially ambiguous as possible and from a land far from the Vikings of Berk. His appearance had several influences from different countries and cultures, his clothing was based of Slavic origin, while his actual physical appearance was based of people from the Mediterranean and northern Africa.

Ugh. Was just reading that the last film isn't scheduled until 2019...

The gap is absurd. Killing any momentum they ever wanted to build.

I am worried that the animation for How To Train Your Dragon 3 will be downgraded because Universal tends to prefer lower budget films that bring in a big profit.
And that's assuming they don't mess up the plot.

Is Powell still composing?

Last I heard in 2015 yes, but we have had little to no recent news.

I am worried that the animation for How To Train Your Dragon 3 will be downgraded because Universal tends to prefer lower budget films that bring in a big profit.
And that's assuming they don't mess up the plot.

I am concerned about this as well. Illumination films always feel cheap looking to me.

I was riding on the hope that they were already deep enough in development that it wouldn't make much difference, but with the delay (film was originally scheduled for last year) I bet that they haven't even starting most of the effects work.

I click this thread and see people saying Drago is a black guy and the film is racist? What on Earth.

giphy.gif

Xiaoki

Ugh. Was just reading that the last film isn't scheduled until 2019...

The gap is absurd. Killing any momentum they ever wanted to build.

Sounds about right

These movies take a while and Dreamworks has had a bunch of other animated movies since HTTYD2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom