• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Platform |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cahill

Banned
PhatPhucGabe said:
How would the detail come from being HD if it wasn't in the movie to begin with?

Unless I hear a lot worse, that may be the dumbest thing I have read or heard this week.

Did you honestly not understand what he meant or did you just want to be an ass and ridicule the guy anyway?

ravien56

PhatPhucGabe said:
How would the detail come from being HD if it wasn't in the movie to begin with?

Unless I hear a lot worse, that may be the dumbest thing I have read or heard this week.
Baah you're a dick. You know what I mean dude.

Archie said:
To much drama in this thread.
To much drama!
*clinks glass*

I have an OK sound system, so audio quality isn't high on my list. I also already have Sweeny Todd. Before that movie, I thought Tim Burton was awesome. Then I realized he was overrated. :(

ravien56

BigBlackGamer said:
oh yea corpse bride looked amazing on blu-ray. If you wanna reference quality audio pick up sweeny todd. damn sweeny todd was awesome.
I really need to get a surround sound system. That tier list is interesting. Notice how most of the movies in tier 0 are pixar movies/animated?

jgr said:
I have an OK sound system, so audio quality isn't high on my list. I also already have Sweeny Todd. Before that movie, I thought Tim Burton was awesome. Then I realized he was overrated
He made Nightmare Before Christmas. Playing that level in KH2 along with Steamboat Willy made that game what it was. Does anyone here have a 7.1 system? Worth it? Or just get a 5.1?

ravien56 said:
I really need to get a surround sound system. That tier list is interesting. Notice how most of the movies in tier 0 are pixar movies/animated?
See? Pixar, or Disney in general, have fantastic movies in terms of PQ.

Also, I would love a physical copy of Jay-Z's Gray Album.

XShagrath

ravien56 said:
That's because a lot of studios DNR their film movies to shit.

XShagrath

BigBlackGamer said:
I wouldn't mind a Jay-Z concert blu-ray. concert blu-rays are awesome. the NIN concert is amazing.
There's another one coming soon that's open domain. They're going to put it up for download for anyone to burn their own copy, or you can buy one from them for like $11 (cost of materials plus shipping).

thisoneisonus.org

XShagrath

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Digital Noise Reduction. Basically it's a quick fix to remove film grain when a movie is upscaled.
Which is exactly what cinephiles don't want. Film grain is what makes a film look like a film, and not an upscaled dvd.

MrOctober

Banned
ravien56 said:
I watched Corpse Bride yesterday on Blu Ray. First time watching an animated movie on Blu Ray, but it was also my first time watching Corpse Bride so I wasn't exactly sure if all the detail in the characters was from the movie itself or because it was in HD. I need to see how Pixar movies look before I buy them but Corpse Bride looked amazing. I still haven't seen Wall-E.
Why would you buy them based on how they look? Shouldn't you buy a movie based on whether or not it's any good? Or did you mean you'll get the cheaper DVD instead of the bluray if it wasn't a huge leap in quality?

ravien56

This list is so weird. Its pretty much based on opinions from what I can tell but something like Watchmen is Tier 1 but Watchmen, the UK edition is Tier 0. I think I'm gonna pick up Sin City and Coraline now though.

October said:
Why would you buy them based on how they look? Shouldn't you buy a movie based on whether or not it's any good? Or did you mean you'll get the cheaper DVD instead of the bluray if it wasn't a huge leap in quality?
Get it if it's cheaper. Something like Corpse Bride though, I only got it on Blu Ray because it was the same price as DVD.

ravien56 said:
This list is so weird. Its pretty much based on opinions from what I can tell but something like Watchmen is Tier 1 but Watchmen, the UK edition is Tier 0. I think I'm gonna pick up Sin City and Coraline now though.
It's pretty much based on opinions, but there is a, uh, basic standard. And yes, Coraline is FANTASTIC. Both as a movie and picture quality.

MrOctober

Banned
ravien56 said:

Get it if it's cheaper. Something like Corpse Bride though, I only got it on Blu Ray because it was the same price as DVD.
Gotcha. That makes sense then.

PhatPhucGabe said:
Both Toy Story movies are out at the same time. If they look half as good as A Bug's Life on Blu, they will be insane.

Man, I gotta catch up on my Pixar BDs. I only have Wall-E, the shorts collection and A Bug's Life.

I'm a HUGE Pixar fan and the Toy Story films are two of my favorite movies of all time - so I want to get these Blu-rays in March badly. However, I just can't shake the feeling that there will be a killer trilogy box set for the holidays since the time would be right for the TS3 to come out on home video.

I'll try my hardest to hold out, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

XShagrath

The Ultimate Toy Box was pretty packed for features. I don't know what they would have held back for an eventual Toy Story set with all 3 of them. As long as the first blu-rays have everything from Ultimate Toy Box (with the exception of the Pixar Shorts stuff), then I'll probably grab them.

Disney's pretty good at putting out coupons on release week too. I paid like $13 for Up and $8 for Monsters Inc.

megashock5 said:
I'm a HUGE Pixar fan and the Toy Story films are two of my favorite movies of all time - so I want to get these Blu-rays in March badly. However, I just can't shake the feeling that there will be a killer trilogy box set for the holidays since the time would be right for the TS3 to come out on home video.

I'll try my hardest to hold out, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

The Toy Story 1 and 2 Blus will have all the content from the Ultimate Toy Box DVD set plus more, so there won't be much in the way of extras in existence for a more enhanced release. About all they would do for a trilogy set would be like the Pirates of the Caribbean set, just a slipcase over the existing three discs.

Shag, do you redeem your Disney Movie Rewards codes? They have some DVDs that you can only get as rewards, like Ducktales: The Movie and Something Wicked This Way Comes. There are also some cool trinkets. I just got the Grape Soda cap pin from Up in the mail the other day.

XShagrath

PhatPhucGabe said:
Shag, do you redeem your Disney Movie Rewards codes? They have some DVDs that you can only get as rewards, like Ducktales: The Movie and Something Wicked This Way Comes. There are also some cool trinkets. I just got the Grape Soda cap pin from Up in the mail the other day.

I've used some, but haven't redeemed anything yet. The Duck Tales movie would be the first thing I got. Loved that movie when I was a kid!

XShagrath said:
I've used some, but haven't redeemed anything yet. The Duck Tales movie would be the first thing I got. Loved that movie when I was a kid!

The DVD is decent, but not being a retail release it isn't a perfect transfer. All the rewards exclusives are original aspect ratio, which was a nice surprise, but totally barebones. I also got Donald Duck in Mathmagic land. I loved it as a kid, and hadn't seen it since junior high.

XShagrath

PhatPhucGabe said:
The DVD is decent, but not being a retail release it isn't a perfect transfer. All the rewards exclusives are original aspect ratio, which was a nice surprise, but totally barebones. I also got Donald Duck in Mathmagic land. I loved it as a kid, and hadn't seen it since junior high.
I've got that on one of the Disney Treasures. I've got all of them except for this latest batch. I haven't even watched some of them (nothing new for me. I've got a ton of unwatched dvds and blus).

Porkepik

ravien56 said:
Even the people who like the show admitted it sounds so crazy without any context. Even if I said I watched season 1 and didn't like it, they'd still do the same.

I was thinking of getting 1 but they cost like 75 fucking dollars in Canada.

Hey Ravien, If you want I bought them when amazon had their sale last christmas for 130$CDN the 5 seasons on BR, I can sell them to you for their cost(about 35$ shipping included) per season if you are interested . I just finished watching season 2 so if you are interested you still have to wait for me to watch them. I like this serie a lot so does my wife but as with all series I will be reselling them on ebay when I'm done watching.

ravien56

Porkepik said:
Hey Ravien, If you want I bought them when amazon had their sale last christmas for 130$CDN the 5 seasons on BR, I can sell them to you for their cost(about 35$ shipping included) per season if you are interested . I just finished watching season 2 so if you are interested you still have to wait for me to watch them. I like this serie a lot so does my wife but as with all series I will be reselling them on ebay when I'm done watching.
I'll PM you later today when I have time. Got a bunch of questions to ask.

XShagrath said:
I've got that on one of the Disney Treasures. I've got all of them except for this latest batch. I haven't even watched some of them (nothing new for me. I've got a ton of unwatched dvds and blus).

If my tax refund is good, I am going to get a D23 membership and that massive binder set of all the Treasures sets.

Ronabo

BigBlackGamer said:
I'm a fucked up NIN fan. my favorite album is With Teeh. yep....with fucking teeth.

With Teeth is a great album, most NIN fan's that shit on it never grew up. All they wanted was yet another angst driven album. It wasn't gonna happen as Trent himself grew up / sobered up.

I actually like With Teeth more so than The Downward Spiral.

My favorite NIN album is either The Fragile or Year Zero.

PedroRVD

BigBlackGamer said:
oh forgot to say I FC'd Helter Skelter on drums. suck it down. also did all the beatles beats on drums which is harder then RB2.
wow! you recovered your powers my friend.

XShagrath said:
New for RBN this morning:

Prong - Power of the Damager

The 2 songs we got from this band were really good.

In other news, we are one week away from Smackdown/ECW coming to Ecuador, I could not be more excited, I have a first row ticket. Yea boiii

Ronabo said:
With Teeth is a great album, most NIN fan's that shit on it never grew up. All they wanted was yet another angst driven album. It wasn't gonna happen as Trent himself grew up / sobered up.

I actually like With Teeth more so than The Downward Spiral.

My favorite NIN album is either The Fragile or Year Zero.

I think With Teeth is underrated. I still think it might have the best opening and closing tracks of any NIN record.

Ridley327

The Fragile is a pretty amazing record that, sadly, never got its just due when it came out since it wasn't Downward Spiral 2: Electric Boogaloo. I know it's going to age incredibly well since the production work on it is out of this world. It's a shame that Trent doesn't feel like licensing any more NIN tracks out since we don't have anything from that album and there's more than a few guitar driven tracks on there.

XShagrath

PedroRVD said:
In other news, we are one week away from Smackdown/ECW coming to Ecuador, I could not be more excited, I have a first row ticket. Yea boiii
I usually don't watch Smackdown, but I'll find a way to watch it for you. Punk's "Straightedge Messiah" angle is pretty awesome too. Loved him at The Rumble.

Ronabo

XShagrath said:
I like The Fragile a lot as well. Year Zero was very powerful as well. That ARG Trent did was genious.

Yeah the ARG was so amazing and fun. I actually got nervous when the phone number was discovered that you could call and hear part of the story. :lol

Trent tweeted the other day that he is back in the studio. Yay!

ravien56 said:
I watched Corpse Bride yesterday on Blu Ray. First time watching an animated movie on Blu Ray, but it was also my first time watching Corpse Bride so I wasn't exactly sure if all the detail in the characters was from the movie itself or because it was in HD. I need to see how Pixar movies look before I buy them but Corpse Bride looked amazing. I still haven't seen Wall-E.

Corpse Bride is a rare case and only looks as good as it does because it is stop/go animation. The movie is essentially a shit load of super high res photos being played before you, so for that reason you canot compare it to any other animated film unless it is also of the same nature. Shitty movie made by Tim Burton is shitty though.

If you are collecting, sign up for the Rewards site. They gave away free Blu Rays to members last year for their birthdays. I got Enchanted for $2.99 shipping.

XShagrath

Ronabo said:
Yeah the ARG was so amazing and fun. I actually got nervous when the phone number was discovered that you could call and hear part of the story. :lol

Trent tweeted the other day that he is back in the studio. Yay!
Did you ever see the video where they bussed people out to a warehouse in the middle of the desert and prepped them on how to survive after Year Zero? That shit was so intense!

Terrordactyl said:
Corpse Bride is a rare case and only looks as good as it does because it is stop/go animation. The movie is essentially a shit load of super high res photos being played before you, so for that reason you canot compare it to any other animated film unless it is also of the same nature. Shitty movie made by Tim Burton is shitty though.

Okay, new winner for dumbest thing said this week!

All animation is a series of photographs, except for CG.

BTW, it is called Stop-Motion Animation, not stop/go.

XShagrath said:
Did you ever see the video where they bussed people out to a warehouse in the middle of the desert and prepped them on how to survive after Year Zero? That shit was so intense!

Wait, i haven't seen this. I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom