• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google tricked stupid Facebook users! Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost nihilist in my cynicism toward humanity, but I don't buy this.

When I saw the comments, my first reactions were 1) 4chan, 2) self-promotion gimmick by the website, 3) some other internet community just dicking with people.

There's no way that website confused that many people. It's clearly a news article by a different website, nowhere on the actual site does it say facebook, and if you search facebook login on google, it's like the 7th site down. There's just no fucking way.

Ventrue

Aristotlekh said:
When I saw the comments, my first reactions were 1) 4chan, 2) self-promotion gimmick by the website, 3) some other internet community just dicking with people.
And yet, the comments are from actual Facebook profiles of actual old/stupid people, who are still updating their profiles and have existed for a long period of time. If they're all just trolls or shills, it's an impressive operation.

It's clearly a news article by a different website, nowhere on the actual site does it say facebook,
It's an article about Facebook's bold plans for the future. If you were just skimming it, you might mistake it for one of those "Dear Users, we are moving in an exciting direction, redesign, blah. Also, this occurred at about the same time Facebook got a redesign.

and if you search facebook login on google, it's like the 7th site down. There's just no fucking way.
It was the top result at the time this happened, because it was a 'news' result which gets placed at the top sometimes.

There's no way that website confused that many people.
Millions of people use Facebook. Potentially hundreds of thousands of people log on with this method. For a couple dozen of them to get fooled? Not absurdly unlikely.

Note that, after a couple pages, most of the comments are indeed just trolls or whatever as people notice what is going on.

Granted, I could see about 15, 20 people not realizing their mistake for long enough to post. But after like page 2, yeah, I'm guessing 4chan.

I'll concede that some folks were fooled. But that's mostly trolls. Has to be. Did they have to register at that new website to make comments/upload avatars or whatever? If they can figure out how to do that they can figure out how to log into facebook, right?

Jak140

Aristotlekh said:
Granted, I could see about 15, 20 people not realizing their mistake for long enough to post. But after like page 2, yeah, I'm guessing 4chan.

I'll concede that some folks were fooled. But that's mostly trolls. Has to be. Did they have to register at that new website to make comments/upload avatars or whatever? If they can figure out how to do that they can figure out how to log into facebook, right?
they can post comments by logging into their facebook accounts. your undaunting faith in humanity is admirable, but woefully misplaced.

Parallax Scroll said:
<3 stupid people :lol

My favorite comment so far:

358cl6v.jpg

This dumb bitch's logic was to SEARCH FOR FACEBOOK ON BING since searching for it on Google no longer worked.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I will bet serious cash that she got to Bing by typing "bing" into Google.

MetatronM said:
Back when I worked at Best Buy, I had multiple occasions where I would be standing in the middle of an aisle in the center of the DVD section (meaning people would have had to have passed a minimum of like 20 feet worth of DVDs at least to even find me) and people would come up to me and ask "where do you keep the DVDs?"

I would look around myself, literally surrounded by DVDs on all sides, and not know how to answer that question. :lol

There are few things I have ever experienced that more succinctly illustrated how stupid, oblivious, and completely baffling a disturbingly large percentage of people in the world are than those sorts of moments while working retail.
were they confused because the dvd's came in boxes?

btkadams

Parallax Scroll said:
<3 stupid people :lol

My favorite comment so far:

358cl6v.jpg

This dumb bitch's logic was to SEARCH FOR FACEBOOK ON BING since searching for it on Google no longer worked.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
ugh this is where i die. what the fuck.

NekoFever

I found out the other day that my dad gets to Facebook by searching his mailbox for the confirmation email from when he joined and clicking the link used to confirm his account in there. I said to him that I could make a bookmark on the toolbar but he got all indignant like, "This is the way I do it, OKAY!?"

At least he's always going to end up on the real Facebook that way, but come on. There's no need to bite the head off someone who's trying to help.

You know, I used to think my grandma was stupid for still putting in the http:// on all URLs.

I think I'll apologize to her the next time I'm in town.

NekoFever said:
I found out the other day that my dad gets to Facebook by searching his mailbox for the confirmation email from when he joined and clicking the link used to confirm his account in there. I said to him that I could make a bookmark on the toolbar but he got all indignant like, "This is the way I do it, OKAY!?"
Amazing.

I thought that problems like this were a generational thing, and that they would go away once today's youth grow up.

It seems that I'm wrong, however: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122893913

sinxtanx said:
gaVDMVnib.png

AND FOR GOOD MEASURE TOO

"And so the world was stuck, eventually leading to the extinction of the human race".

Eventually? Everything would be instantly ripped of the planets surface, due to the atmosphere still travelling at over 1000 miles per hour.

Barberetti said:
"And so the world was stuck, eventually leading to the extinction of the human race".

Eventually? Everything would be instantly ripped of the planets surface, due to the atmosphere still travelling at over 1000 miles per hour.
Why would the genie stop just the rock and not the atmosphere? Genies are smarter than that.

Bananakin

Ventrue said:
Millions of people use Facebook. Potentially hundreds of thousands of people log on with this method. For a couple dozen of them to get fooled? Not absurdly unlikely.

Pretty much this. As an aside, although I found the comments absurdly hilarious, I don't think they in any way represent the "average" computer user. Sure there's plenty of computer illiterates out there, and you hear about them the most because they generate the funniest stories, but give people some credit - I mean, hell, Firefox has a market share of something like 30%, and that's a program that you specifically have to seek out and install on your computer. I suspect the average computer user is a good deal more savvy than gaf would like to think. Maybe not great, but smart enough to know how to click "next" on a wizard, and type urls into address bars anyway.

grumble

Barberetti said:

This is a joke comic. You don't need to science it.

Also, if 'the world' was stopped, that would imply that the entire earth system was frozen in place relative to the sun, atmosphere and all. there are so many considerations that it's not worth talking about, but under certain conditions, the human race wouldn't die instantly.

Barberetti said:

We could use you in the Lost threads. Tell me what lab equipment you need and get me some answers.

Battersea Power Station said:
Why would the genie stop just the rock and not the atmosphere? Genies are smarter than that.

grumble said:
This is a joke comic. You don't need to science it.

Also, if 'the world' was stopped, that would imply that the entire earth system was frozen in place relative to the sun, atmosphere and all. there are so many considerations that it's not worth talking about, but under certain conditions, the human race wouldn't die instantly.

Genies may be smart, but they can be tricked pretty easily, so I wouldn't bet on it. My comment was in relation to their habit of granting peoples wishes quite literaly in a lot of cases, so I wouldn't expect one to compensate for a persons lack of detail when they make their wish. Also, they tend not to warn the person making the wish of any of the consequences involved (and why should they?).

"All right", said the Genie, "You have just one wish left. Wish wisely"

"I'm sorry?" said the man holding an old brass lamp, "I don't understand"

The Genie sighed. "You rubbed the lamp, releasing me from a thousand years of imprisonment. I was bound to repay that favour by granting you three wishes. Your second wish was to restore things to how they used to be. That is why you have no memory of these things."

As the Genie was speaking, a smile had appeared on the man's face, and grew to stretch from ear to ear. He waited for the Genie to finish speaking, but only just - before shouting his third wish:

"Make me irresistable to women", he said.

"Your wish is my command, Sire. It shall be so." The Genie bowed deeply, and turned to go.

"Wait, wait" called the Irresistable Man, "What was my first wish - the one I asked you to reverse?"

"Your first wish, Sire? Your first wish was as your third."

From http://www.weirdity.com/genie/5-genie-rocket.shtml

So no, I wouldn't expect a genie to stop the Earths atmosphere when it stopped the planet. In fact, I'd expect him to stop just the planet right where it was at that point in the Universe the moment the wish was made, while the rest of the solar system carried right on going. Not only that, I reckon the genie would be inwardly laughing his arse off at the ensuing carnage, and the look on the wishers face as he realised his mistake.

Phaethon0017 said:
We could use you in the Lost threads. Tell me what lab equipment you need and get me some answers.

I'm probably going to regret saying this here, but I have never watched Lost. Not even a clip of it. Not that I have anything against doing so, but by the time I'd heard of it, it was already into its second season I think, so I decided to wait until it had finished then watch the whole thing.

Binabik15

Good thing I made a Facebook account yesterday, now I can talk to all those people!
When they find the login site.

;_;

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't get this, why do people use google to find the login page of Facebook? Why aren't they typing facebook.com in the adress bar to get there faster? How about putting it in your favorites to get there even faster with a simple click? They can even just type "F" in the adress bar and Facebook will be on the list! Fuck, why isn't Facebook their homepage? Why did they mistake a website that looks nothing like Facebook to the real one? Goddamn fucking dumbass humanity.

...Shit.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
for those doubting if this could possibly happen, my techy team wee laughing at this article and we asked a woman co-worker who worked for radio and asked her how she gets to facebook. she says she types facebook into google!

then we asked why she didnt just type facebook.com into the address bar and she didnt know what we were talking about.

then we showed her that page and she didnt really understand what we were showing her, if she had stumbled onto it during her facebook journey she could have easily been misled into thinking it was the new site. especially with all the "facebook is changing" news going round.

she's not stupid, she's older, and has a good job creating political programming for national radio shows in the UK.

some people just dont live that much of their lives tethered to the internet.

remember, whenever you think people are stupid, just boot up google wave and rediscover that "wtf am I looking at" feeling!

or boot up linux or try to use the command line/terminal to do shit on your machine. some people think using that is better and faster than windows/osx.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
kaizoku said:
for those doubting if this could possibly happen, my techy team wee laughing at this article and we asked a woman co-worker who worked for radio and asked her how she gets to facebook. she says she types facebook into google!

then we asked why she didnt just type facebook.com into the address bar and she didnt know what we were talking about.

then we showed her that page and she didnt really understand what we were showing her, if she had stumbled onto it during her facebook journey she could have easily been misled into thinking it was the new site. especially with all the "facebook is changing" news going round.

she's not stupid, she's older, and has a good job creating political programming for national radio shows in the UK.

some people just dont live that much of their lives tethered to the internet.

remember, whenever you think people are stupid, just boot up google wave and rediscover that "wtf am I looking at" feeling!

or boot up linux or try to use the command line/terminal to do shit on your machine. some people think using that is better and faster than windows/osx.
We all knew there are reasons for this absurd behavior before. It's still absurd behavior though.

This just tells us that either, people weren't introduced properly to a browser or they just didn't listen. In both cases, they're incompetent.

So you're making a case for incompetence being a-okay as long as it's unleashed onto a browser.

Next thing you know, people type their passwords into random sites, give away their credit card information, social security number, whateverthefuck else should be kept secret.

Point being, people that go to facebook via Google probably should be taught how that shit is actually supposed to work. Peer pressure might bring these people to at least figuring the basics out so that they're not humiliated constantly, although they actually should be worried about posting credentials into the wrong boxes.

Something on the level of the ECDL should be forced upon older people is what I'm saying. For their own protection.

It's like ABS in that sense.

Axion22

Believable, even likely, to me.

Someone I know couldn't find their Favorites (to get to a locally-stored page) in IE because the Internet was down. A lot of people don't even know what a web browser does, it's kind of a side effect of the browser becoming an OS itself, with all the internet applications out there.

Barberetti said:
I'm probably going to regret saying this here, but I have never watched Lost. Not even a clip of it. Not that I have anything against doing so, but by the time I'd heard of it, it was already into its second season I think, so I decided to wait until it had finished then watch the whole thing.

Every episode is on hulu.com

Rich!

My girlfriend types in sites on the searchbar (like facebook, iplayer etc) to get to them, and it does my fucking head in.

I mean, all you have to do is type in the name of the site in the search bar, and it'll find it for you, even without the .com extensions. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom