• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Banjo Kazooie site launches

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Secks4Food said:
Something like Keys to the City or Forge would make me wet, maybe Microsoft's answer to LBP? Some interview with Rare said there was co-op iirc...

Ah, fuck it I'm just setting myself up for disappointment :(

As a person that has been expecting Banjo 3 for the longest time, don't be. They are in Twycross making magic.

Pistolero

I expect it to be more impressive that Ratchet as it's been in the works for quite some time. As to gameplay, I hope the old RARE returns ! :D

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Pistolero said:
I expect it to be more impressive that Ratchet as it's been in the works for quite some time. As to gameplay, I hope the old RARE returns ! :D

Hopefully you're referring to their relative game development prowess, exhibited back in the N64 days instead of the endless collecting their games tasked the player with :D

Only joking. I get what you mean through and through. Hey, on the bright side, they "returned" a bit earlier with Viva Pinata and PDZ's.... multiplayer component.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Agent Icebeezy said:
As a person that has been expecting Banjo 3 for the longest time, don't be. They are in Twycross making magic.

I just hope it's not magic in the vein of DK: Jungle Beat. Mayles, I hope to God your vaunted "new approach to platforming" is not something so drastically different from what we're familiar with that it can no longer be classified as actual "platforming."

beerbelly

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Hopefully you're referring to their relative game development prowess, exhibited back in the N64 days instead of the endless collecting their games tasked the player with :D

It wouldn't be the same without collecting tons and tons of music notes, jinjos, etc. I loved searching every corner of the maps. I must have searched Click Clock Woods for a dozen hours before I found the last few notes, but it was the most fun I ever had.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
beerbelly said:
I can confirm with Agent Icebeezy. There's nothing to worry about.

No offense but no one likes the "wink wink" stuff. Is an unveiling imminent?

Kevin

I am a huge fan of the original Banjo games. Can't freakin wait to see this game in action. Hopefully it plays like the originals. :D

Hunahan

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
I just hope it's not magic in the vein of DK: Jungle Beat. Mayles, I hope to God your vaunted "new approach to platforming" is not something so drastically different from what we're familiar with that it can no longer be classified as actual "platforming."
What?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at, but Jungle Beat was awesome, and most certainly could still be classified as "platforming."

In fact, I'd argue that it was far more "platforming" than the original Banjo Kazooie....

Tristam

McDragon said:
"This gameplay mechanic may be something as of yet unseen in any other game."

you missed this part :p

Assuming it's true, I'd love to see a new substantive gameplay mechanic in the platform genre.

I always loathed Banjo's gameplay (along with DK64 and JFG), but I certainly didn't hate all Rare's games (R.C. Pro-Am, Battletoads, KI, and especially Goldeneye were excellent). Plus, I can't help but get excited for a new 3D platformer, especially one that oozes as much charm as Banjo. I'm really looking forward to the first gameplay demonstrations.

George K.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Isn't the VP team the Banjo team (or at least analogous to it, plus or minus a few developers here and there?)
No, they're separate teams, each with their own project(s) to concentrate on.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I wonder if the blueprint theme could be some kind of indication of what's new about the series, or if it's just a random template.
Bingo! It wouldn't be much of a 'teaser' site if it didn't do any teasing, would it?

Dupy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this meant the duo is going into space and the new gameplay feature is gravity:)
Banjo 3 will not be ripping-off Super Mario Galaxy.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Hmm, George K? Are you at liberty to talk tech specs?
What, like system requirements? Um... you need an Xbox 360 and a telly. I'm not sure what you mean, I'm afraid.

Dupy said:
No offense but no one likes the "wink wink" stuff. Is an unveiling imminent?
Not "imminent", but soon.

Tristam said:
Assuming it's true, I'd love to see a new substantive gameplay mechanic in the platform genre.
I'm more than confident we'll be able to fulfil that wish.

All this blueprint themed stuff... I can't help but feel we'll be seeing some sort level editor, or even level creation on the fly in Banjo Threeie. Which would be a good thing.

Either way, I hope Rare throw open their doors to the media soon, I really want to see what they are working on and what to expect this year from them.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Agent Icebeezy said:

Making magic? you've clearly never been to the midlands before....

Anyway, as much as it destroys my credibility to say it, I loved the first 2 Banjo Kazooie games, and frankly I'm surprised Banjo Threeie (whatever! :p) didn't get made for the original Xbox, it's a guaranteed seller in the UK, would sell well in the US too, so it is quite weird that MS didn't get Rare to pump one out, ah well, let's hope that Rare manages to get back on form with this project, they still have the talent.

Orodreth

TheOddOne said:
Nope, its the cover of a rap album called ''Time:Line'' by dutch producer Nicolay (of Foreign Exchange) and rapper Kay. Its a very cool album and too bad it going to be forgotten by the mainstream heads.

Ah, the girl in the avatar looks like Maki and in his last album she works with that producer Nicolay, in one of the songs. that´s why i thought was her.

George K. said:
Does this help?

Oh no, wait... that's 'how soon is now'. My mistake.

Such a tease...

Great song btw.

pswii60

Pistolero said:
Hey, R&C Future was fun, but nothing special. Very much by the numbers and offered nothing new apart from some beautiful graphics early on in the game. After a while, the levels became more barren and repetitive but with a different colour scheme, and the gameplay just didn't feel like it had evolved since the PS2 games. Not a bad game, just a solid 8/10 and nothing more.

Hopefully Banjo will offer something new and refreshing. Kameo had its flaws, but I loved the way you could switch between characters to do different tasks etc. It wasn't executed to the absolute best, but the idea was great, and I like games that strive to be different and innovative in a good way.

Also, the music in Rare games is always awesome, so I can't wait to hear some of the Banjo sountrack.

Orodreth

pswii60 said:
Hopefully Banjo will offer something new and refreshing. Kameo had its flaws, but I loved the way you could switch between characters to do different tasks etc. It wasn't executed to the absolute best, but the idea was great, and I like games that strive to be different and innovative in a good way.

I think the problem there was compromise the difficulty of the game making it too easy (for younger gamers i suppose) and preventing you from the need to use the characters and combat system to its fullest, which is something that really shines when you play in the hard modes or to get the score achievements.

pswii60

Orodreth said:
I think the problem there was compromise the difficulty of the game making it too easy (for younger gamers i suppose) and preventing you from the need to use the characters and combat system to its fullest, which is something that really shines when you play in the hard modes or to get the score achievements.
True. Many of the characters weren't introduced until late on in the game, by which point there were only a couple of levels left where you really had to think which character to use. So basically, only a couple of levels of the game where the idea was executed to its fullest. For that reason, a sequel would be nice, but to be honest I'm happy for Rare to bring out new IP or work on some of their forgotten franchises.

I've always had a fetish for a Phantasy Star Online/Kameo hybrid for some reason. Dunno why though :p

Orodreth said:

I thought the problem was how obvious everything was. You always knew exactly which form you had to be in and there was always only one way of doing things. I would of preferred if there was multiple ways of reaching objectives allowing the player to actually use a variety of units.

I do agree with what you said about the difficulty though.

polg said:
embrace it, it is not that bad (keeps writing silverlight code)

No. :p Microsoft has a bad track record with this stuff. I don't need ActiveX and I don't need Silverlight. It may not be that bad right now, but Silverlight is still a young, nubile virgin. In a few years she's going to be a dirty, STD-ridden hooker with so many holes open for exploitation her street name's going to be "Miss Swiss Cheese".

Sydle

George K. said:
No, they're separate teams, each with their own project(s) to concentrate on.

Bingo! It wouldn't be much of a 'teaser' site if it didn't do any teasing, would it?

Banjo 3 will not be ripping-off Super Mario Galaxy.

What, like system requirements? Um... you need an Xbox 360 and a telly. I'm not sure what you mean, I'm afraid.

Not "imminent", but soon.

I'm more than confident we'll be able to fulfil that wish.

...it makes me full of happy that you're here.

Switched sides....no offense but no one defends Star Fox Adventure.

Rare has made shitty games, a lot of shitty games. They don't get treated any worse or better than any other developer.

this. Noone gives a shit anymore about 'em switching sides..plus, they didn't. Nintendo sold em.

The fact their games got a serious difference in quality between golden age and box age is merely a coincidence, and yet there's still someone who thinks it's all Nintendo fans angered at em

Sega1991 said:
No. :p Microsoft has a bad track record with this stuff. I don't need ActiveX and I don't need Silverlight.
Flash has a bad record with security holes too... hasn't stopped anyone using it. :lol

Psychotext said:
Flash has a bad record with security holes too... hasn't stopped anyone using it. :lol

Well, everything has security holes. It's just Microsoft often has the most people trying to find theirs. Besides, I just don't like the idea of "Microsoft's version of Flash" when I already have Flash.

One thing I read in an interview made me very excited for this game - wondering if the Rare dude can confirm it - that for the first level in this game, they will be reusing Spiral Mountain from BK - and also that some other BK levels will reappear in 'some form', which I think were the words used in the interview.

George K.

APZonerunner said:
One thing I read in an interview made me very excited for this game - wondering if the Rare dude can confirm it - that for the first level in this game, they will be reusing Spiral Mountain from BK - and also that some other BK levels will reappear in 'some form', which I think were the words used in the interview.

Confirmed. In fact, there's a fair bit in the first level that should please long-time Banjo fans.

While I'm asking questions that I hope are harmless enough to be answered - the voices - are they staying the same? There were familiar sounds in the trailer, but I'm wondering if everything else will be the same in-game too.

Sydle

APZonerunner said:
While I'm asking questions that I hope are harmless enough to be answered - the voices - are they staying the same? There were familiar sounds in the trailer, but I'm wondering if everything else will be the same in-game too.

I think it was confirmed the voices will stay the same.

guise

George K. said:

Kazooie gets wrongfully imprisoned and Banjo gets tattooed with the blueprints of the prison in order to break him out

George K. said:
Confirmed. In fact, there's a fair bit in the first level that should please long-time Banjo fans.
What if you only just became a Banjo fan with the most recent installme- oh wait.

I don't quite understand what you are getting at. Yes, simply being able to complete the game does register on the easy side; but there's plenty of difficult challenges to be had. Are you saying that the game doesn't do enough to promote said difficulty? I don't see how that's any different from a Sonic game or something.

Plus some of the levels actually required quite a bit of work, I distinctly remember the mountain level being quite a task. And fuck me if I could ever collect that uh... thing that needs collecting in the ice village marble roll-a-thon. The game just doesn't particularly punish you enough for failing. Which is fine.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
George K. said:

In the past and with some of their current games, Rare's technical expertise shines through.

George K.

Michan said:
Is Banjo-Kazooie 3 the final name or will it be following the Tooie/Threeie pattern?
Nothing to report on the new game's name at this time, I'm afraid.

Paco said:
I think it was confirmed the voices will stay the same.
This is true - same, but better. "GYUH-HUH" indeed.

Agent Icebeezy said:
In the past and with some of their current games, Rare's technical expertise shines through.
Believe you me, Banjo 3 will be a showcase for Rare's "technical expertise", as you put it.

guise said:
Kazooie gets wrongfully imprisoned and Banjo gets tattooed with the blueprints of the prison in order to break him out
XD Made me chuckle.

Orodreth

Son of Godzilla said:
I don't quite understand what you are getting at. Yes, simply being able to complete the game does register on the easy side; but there's plenty of difficult challenges to be had. Are you saying that the game doesn't do enough to promote said difficulty? I don't see how that's any different from a Sonic game or something.

Plus some of the levels actually required quite a bit of work, I distinctly remember the mountain level being quite a task. And fuck me if I could ever collect that uh... thing that needs collecting in the ice village marble roll-a-thon. The game just doesn't particularly punish you enough for failing. Which is fine.

I´m talking about the combat system, which is nice but because of the difficulty you barely need to tap on it, get better, exploit it.

To finish the game you usually dont need to mix and change the characters, keep the combos high, use their different abilities combined, etc.. to beat the enemies except for some specific encounters.

Its not that the game should punish you harder for your mistakes but that it should encourage you to use much more the combat system, which is a nice mechanic but its not used as much as i would have liked.

That changes a lot from what i recall in the hard versions of the levels that were released as DLC (and very few got them i think) or when you´re trying to unlock the score achivementes, where you really have to take that into account and flesh out that combinations, which makes it better and more fun imho.

Its like how the DMC games push you to play with style because not only grants you some benefits and helps you progressing but also makes it more fun. That´s what i missed in Kameo to some degree, even though i very much liked the game.

Wizpig

Michan said:
Is Banjo-Kazooie 3 the final name or will it be following the Tooie/Threeie pattern?
I would LOVE Banjo-Threeie as a title, but i think they will go for a new title in order to "capture" new fans along with the old ones. :(
Imagine a guy who doesn't know Rare and reads "Banjo-Threeie", he'd go "WTF?".
But i really want B-Threeie as a title >: D

AtomicShroom said:
This is known. Yes, Grant Kirkhope is behind the soundtrack, along with some help from Robin Beanland.

Oh good lord, YES. I love the Kirkhope and I love the Beanland. Soundtrack will definitely be killer.

Michan

Wizpig said:
I would LOVE Banjo-Threeie as a title, but i think they will go for a new title in order to "capture" new fans along with the old ones. :(
Imagine a guy who doesn't know Rare and reads "Banjo-Threeie", he'd go "WTF?".
But i really want B-Threeie as a title >: D

I've been trying to get my girlfriend playing the original over the past month, and she found the title odd. In fact, she seems to find the whole game odd.

Top Bottom