• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Raid didnt happen last night. 3x nightfall instead.

Hopefully we can get 6 for a raid tonight... including 3x challenge mode

Normal or Hard?

Depending on the time I should be around tonight, but just wondering (selfish: need chest and class item on hunter for that sweet, sweet shader from normal).

Yeah but if Arc Burn is on, Zhalo would get the exotic slot.

Except running Zhalo all the time gets boring— I find novelty enjoyable and the heroic strikes and many nightfalls do not need min-maxed gear to ensure success.

For PVE, Thunderlord is more fun than legendary LMGs because there's a chance that trash mobs explode.

Except running Zhalo all the time gets boring— I find novelty enjoyable and the heroic strikes and many nightfalls do not need min-maxed gear to ensure success.

For PVE, Thunderlord is more fun than legendary LMGs because there's a chance that trash mobs explode.

Not arguing with you on the boring thing but wanting to plow through as quick as possible, all slots being ARC and ARC subclass help.

And yeah the random firefly is pretty cool compared to the normal LMGs. I hope the two new 'lords get fixed soon to be able to leverage the same perk as well.

Not arguing with you on the boring thing but wanting to plow through as quick as possible, all slots being ARC and ARC subclass help.

By the end of the week I was using voidwalker in addition to wasting my exotic slot on Thunderlord. Juggler plus the usual infinite-grenade build and you have to work to use a gun.

And yeah the random firefly is pretty cool compared to the normal LMGs. I hope the two new 'lords get fixed soon to be able to leverage the same perk as well.

it's not actually firefly— it procs at random on crit or non-crit kills.

I am trying to clear out my vault so a question to those who know snipers. I am trying to figure out which LDR5001 to keep:

1) Hawkeye/Longview/Ambush, Last Resort, PB/Snapshot/Oiled Frame, Unflinching
2) Hawkeye/Shortgaze/TacSys, Last Resort, Quickdraw/Rifled Barrel/Oiled Frame, Firefly

I am assuming (1) is the better of the two, but looking for a second opinion. Is stability more important or range? I already have PVE snipers and for those I tend to pick range so I am far removed, but I heard LDR5001 is great for PVP and to me, (1) is the better choice of the two options for PVP.

It does have SLR10. Ok, so then I guess I will hold on to both and see how it goes.

That's probably the best thing you could do. I personally prefer the SLR10 over any other scope on a sniper and Unflinching is far less situational than Firefly. Either way, both are great snipers.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Shortgaze is best scope, quickdraw for quick scopes, rifled barrel for max range which equals most aim assist and firefly so you can do stuff like this,

gfgffgf.gif

Snapshot and unflinching are nerfed from their previous god roll perks status from year one to almost next to nothing. With super long range from rifled barrel, you would see diminishing returns if you had extra aim assist perks like hidden hand. In both PVE and PVP, firefly is very helpful and has helped me get multiple snipe kills in a short span pretty often.

That's probably the best thing you could do. I personally prefer the SLR10 over any other scope on a sniper and Unflinching is far less situational than Firefly. Either way, both are great snipers.

Everyone has their own definition of a god roll. SLR10 is preferred by quite a few people but a lot of people also like shortgaze better (and some ambush). Unflinching is, in my opinion, the definition of a useless perk. Makes absolutely no difference especially since flinch got buffed and this specific perk got nerfed at the same time lmao. I like firefly way better, i got like at least 6 collats on this past weekend of trials just from it, its awesome. After using snipers with firefly for so long it also feels very weird to not see people blow up when you snipe them, like really weird. After so much time i think i even prefer firefly instead of hidden hand in part due to this.

Anyway he should keep both snipers and test them thoroughly to see where his preference will fall.

Everyone has their own definition of a god roll. SLR10 is preferred by quite a few people but a lot of people also like shortgaze better (and some ambush). Unflinching is, in my opinion, the definition of a useless perk. Makes absolutely no difference especially since flinch got buffed and this specific perk got nerfed at the same time lmao. I like firefly way better, i got like at least 6 collats on this past weekend of trials just from it, its awesome. After using snipers with firefly for so long it also feels very weird to not see people blow up when you snipe them, like really weird. After so much time i think i even prefer firefly instead of hidden hand in part due to this.

I never said I thought Unflinching was a good perk, I just think it's a better and less situational perk than Firefly. Hidden Hand is the ideal perk on a sniper imo, everything else is subpar in comparison. Firefly is good against idiots that stack together when sniping lanes in Trials but I'd much rather have an AA boost over that. As for the scope, the difference between SG and LVSLR10 is negligible at best. Again, I was just saying that in my opinion I think it's better but it by no means outclasses SG.

EDIT:

Snapshot and unflinching are nerfed from their previous god roll perks status from year one to almost next to nothing.

I'm sorry... but WHAT? I honestly cannot understand how you could possibly think Snapshot isn't a god roll perk. I mean, I guess it depends on what style of sniping you do (aggressive sniping or lane sniping) but I wholeheartedly disagree with that notion haha.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The first one would've been a god roll in year one when range didn't equal aim assist. Like I said, firefly is still better even if he doesn't ever touch PVP. Mobs of ads get slaughtered.

I'd say SR10 and SG are pretty equal and for me personally makes zero difference. But if you like sniping closer SG is the way to go. With scopes being nerfed you want that more closer range scope.

^ My sensitivity is all the way up so snapshot does nothing for me. I haven't used a snapshot sniper since it being nerfed and I still get quick 3 - 4 snipe kills all the time. Just ask the people who play in my train.

The first one would've been a god roll in year one when range didn't equal aim assist. Like I said, firefly is still better even if he doesn't ever touch PVP. Mobs of ads get slaughtered.

I'd say SR10 and SG are pretty equal and for me personally makes zero difference. But if you like sniping closer SG is the way to go. With scopes being nerfed you want that more closer range scope.

I just feel like you're overstating the importance of range on a sniper, when their base range stats are high enough to snap to targets in 99% of situations already. The extra range can be big for Control and other 6v6 stuff I guess but I'd take quick scoping over more aim assist at extreme ranges any day of the week.

^ My sensitivity is all the way up so snapshot does nothing for me. I haven't used a snapshot sniper since it being nerfed and I still get quick 3 - 4 snipe kills all the time. Just ask the people who play in my train.

I don't get how your sensitivity has any correlation to the actual zoom-in speed increase that Snapshot provides but okay? I'm well aware of your trains (would love to jump in to play one of these days by the way) but I don't get how any of that impacts the actual perk itself and what it does.

I just feel like you're overstating the importance of range on a sniper, when their base range stats are high enough to snap to targets in 99% of situations already. The extra range can be big for Control and other 6v6 stuff I guess but I'd take quick scoping over more aim assist at extreme ranges any day of the week.

I don't think range can ever be "overstated" in this game ever since the 2.0 patch. Range affects everything in a gun since then for some dumb ass reason. On snipers it can affect the cone at which the the aim assist will begin to reduce, or the cone which can affect bullet magnetism that makes a missed shot a headshot.

In my experience, using snipers with rifled/reinforced barrel i have usually felt way more of a difference on "aim assist" (at all ranges) than the small boost hidden hand offers but who really knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The 2nd one has quickdraw anyway which 100% outclasses snapshot. I can't see much reason to use the first one over the 2nd one in PvP to be honest unless you want to stack snapshot with quickdraw from running blade/ophidian aspect warlock and even then you're probably best off running the 2nd one so you have quickdraw + rifled.

Best sniper is Matador 64 anyway.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's why I said it does nothing for me. Meaning because my aiming is already fast on the screen the perk is not useful for someone like me. I still get my quick scopes. Put it this way. Once you reach a certain level perks won't really matter and it all comes down to preference. But putting myself in Sturg's shoes I'd say the latter sniper would be better for him

And what Igor said about range. I didn't give a crap about range on my sniper either until actual pros started talking about it. That one range perk frees up a perk or two for your own choosing.

I don't think range can ever be "overstated" in this game ever since the 2.0 patch. Range affects everything in a gun since then for some dumb ass reason. On snipers it affects the cone at which the the aim assist will begin to reduce, or the cone which can affect bullet magnetism that makes a missed shot a headshot.

In my experience, using snipers with rifled/reinforced barrel i have usually felt way more of a difference on "aim assist" (at all ranges) than the small boost hidden hand offers but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm a Day 1 player and have been playing almost straight since then so I understand how the range stat works on guns post-TTK (among other changes... RNG Handcannon bullets ftw amirite?!). Again, I think that the ranges where the benefit of having Rifled on a sniper start to matter are only at extreme distances. I'd much prefer having a perk that can actually change how fast I can acquire targets over a perk that just pushes out the range that my AA stat is effective.

The 2nd one has quickdraw anyway which 100% outclasses snapshot. I can't see much reason to use the first one over the 2nd one in PvP to be honest unless you want to stack snapshot with quickdraw from running blade/ophidian aspect warlock and even then you're probably best off running the 2nd one so you have quickdraw + rifled.

Best sniper is Matador 64 anyway.

I like Quickdraw too but I'd still rather have Snapshot. Even then, any perk that increases the handling or zoom-in speed like Injection Mold, Snapshot and Quickdraw will always be more useful than anything else in my eyes.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm a Day 1 player and have been playing almost straight since then so I understand how the range stat works on guns post-TTK (among other changes... RNG Handcannon bullets ftw amirite?!). Again, I think that the ranges where the benefit of having Rifled on a sniper start to matter are only at extreme distances. I'd much prefer having a perk that can actually change how fast I can acquire targets over a perk that just pushes out the range that my AA stat is effective.

I can totally see where you are coming from but based on your responses you seem to be talking more about trials anything. Well most PVP people, at least casual to the people who just want to play some PVP to chill out, are going to need the longer range sniper. Even for trials itself you are going to run into maps with long sniper range. That snapshot is not going to be all that beneficial.

I can totally see where you are coming from but based on your responses you seem to be talking more about trials anything. Well most PVP people, at least casual to the people who just want to play some PVP to chill out, are going to need the longer range sniper. Even for trials itself you are going to run into maps with long sniper range. That snapshot is not going to be all that beneficial.

100% disagree with the bold but that just comes down to personal preference in the end. I agree that on paper, at range snipers with higher range stats have an edge over a snapshot/quickdraw sniper but things like positioning aren't assumed on paper. If I'm in a range where the enemy sniper has a range benefit I would simply just close the gap until my perk matters more than theirs. That's obviously going off into more situational stuff than what we were talking about but I think it's worth noting.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You said it. Snapshot would be a situational thing. If I were close to my opponents all the time I would never use a sniper to begin with, ala Supremacy. The only counter to a very good player with a shotgun is a shotgun.

All this talk is making me really miss year one weapons though.

You said it. Snapshot would be a situational thing. If I were close to my opponents all the time I would never use a sniper to begin with, ala Supremacy. The only counter to a very good player with a shotgun is a shotgun.

All this talk is making me really miss year one weapons though.

That's not what I was implying though. I'm actually saying the opposite haha. I'm of the opinion that the extra range provided by Rifled or another range boosting perk is far more situational and less useful than having a perk that at a base drastically lowers the time it takes to scope in. Especially with how easy it is to close the gap and range of combat in Destiny. :p

Been fooling around with the game for about a month now. Managed to get a titan to 367 so far, sunbreaker maxed and striker on the way.

Seem to have hit quite the god damn wall, tho. Thought that heroics wouldve been the same progression as always, but... the sudden need for purplz in order to continue advancing, allied to the fact that they might not decrypt into loot for my class... well, that kinda soured the mood.

Which is a bit of a shame, because now pve combat is once again exciting (even if one feels like strangling the occasional pickup that keeps getting oneshotted by the boss in melee range)

got a hawkmoon tho. apparently #itssomething

One of my favourite combos that I've been rocking lately is NLB with a Rangefinder, Hot Swap and Quickdraw Havoc Pigeon. That sidearm with the right perks is like a higher range stat TLW haha. Mixed with an infinite ammo sniper, pretty lethal. :3

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You won't be able to hit NarutoLover666 from across the map in First Light with that puny half range sniper while he is using his I spent $100 to get this ornament Icebreaker.

You won't be able to hit NarutoLover666 from across the map in First Light with that puny half range sniper while he is using his I spent $100 to get this ornament Icebreaker.

The fact that you have to use a map that Bungie themselves effectively removed from matchmaking because of how universally panned it was to craft up a scenario where a sniper with Snapshot might be at a steep disadvantage kind of says it all. :p

That said, I'd just move through middle map and get closer to NarutoLover666 before ripping his face off. Poor anime loving sucker wouldn't know what hit him.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They removed it from latest patch?

We mix it up and it shows up in classic.

But then you have his buddy XxXSasukerulesXxX hiding from another angle waiting to snipe you with his newly minted Black Spindle which also has a $100 ornament.

They removed it from latest patch?

We mix it up and it shows up in classic.

It's still in the game in Combined Arms and Classic but they took it out of the "core" playlists for very obvious reasons.

and then made it the Trials map for a weekend because Bungie would rather troll their hardcore PvP community than address the glaring issues with the current PvP meta

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's because they are going wait before Destiny 2 to throw everything back at you and force you to play the newer content if you want to see the newer stuff.

I always mix up the modes to get people familiar with everything and it keeps things fresh. Gibb and a bunch of people have gotten better. Shiv got a 5 kill streak and I starrted crying.

It's still in the game in Combined Arms and Classic but they took it out of the "core" playlists for very obvious reasons.

and then made it the Trials map for a weekend because Bungie would rather troll their hardcore PvP community than address the glaring issues with the current PvP meta

Have i ever played with you? Whats your psn? :thinking:

Range is very crucial in Destiny. If you have to move closer just to make a single perk on a weapon meant for ranged encounters useful then might as well go shotgun. Of course everyone is free to play however they want but you can't dismiss what is fact. Here it is straight from the source. https://youtu.be/DtkK9OagUnY

Have i ever played with you? Whats your psn? :thinking:

We probably haven't played together before. I've never played PvP with any GAFers before. I've done a KF raid one time with people from here and it was an absolute blast, though. I wouldn't mind getting on more to play with you all but this sub-community has seemed pretty dead lately. :/

vin-buc

So much I don't know about sniper perks, nerfs/buffs upsets me as someone who wasn't around from the beginning. I have a love/hate relationship with this game because there is so much potential here but it's hampered down by BS. I hit so many drag shots with my Longbow and no damage whatsoever. Drag scope headshots at about 25 meters away remove an enemy shield and 75% health but doesn't down them. Really?

SBMM/CBMM hasn't changed (I don't believe what Bungie said - I'm still reporting plenty of people in my games) so maybe that's a factor. I can play on my son's or daughter's account and I will dominate - but my account? Unless I play defensively I go even most of the time.

Anyway - I got the Ice Breaker on my first nightfall attempt last week and I got the ornament off a treasure and I took it to PVP. Maybe it's just me but that thing is ass lol.

I want to be able to use Hawkmoon again.

I unfortunately never got to try pre-nerf Hawkmoon as I was on Xbox at the time. I've heard the legends though... ;~;

How is Y3 Thorn, btw? RNG has not been gracious enough to grant me one yet. I've heard that the range is pretty ass now, which is super unfortunate.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I haven't use it since it got nerfed again. It was fun to use during Crimson doubles. Getting all that hate mail.

The game has too many phantom bullets, I guess it's because of the rate of fire. The rate of fire on screen doesn't match with the rate of fire in stats. I guess with nerfs and buffs they cant really account for it with the actual animations so you get the picture.

Going to try and get a train tonight.

Top Bottom