• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

mrk8885

Banned
Been watching since Day 1. I prefer the casual non-structured KFMS though I think they should tweak things a bit...but I dont completely know how.

I feel like the tips are kinda out of control. Most are pretty crappy and unnecessary. Some of them are fine (I had a two part tip on consecutive days re: trying to convince my wife to give birth at KFL3 that I was proud of)...but jeezus how many times are people gonna ask nick to say butthole.

Don't know how to fix tips though. Not fair to tell them they can't monetize. Raising the cost of getting your tip read seems exploitative. I guess that's one thats on the community: stop with the shitty tips.

___
While you can't argue the twitch numbers being down, I am curious how much of that is offset by youtube views and podcast downloads. I wonder if there's actually much of an income difference, as i know NOTHING about how things like this monetize and the difference between the different platforms.

_______

I also feel like Colin's absence is being felt in terms of the lack of seriousness, historical viewpoint of gaming topics, and ability to not let conversations get too one sided (last weeks gamescast with will smith for example). Nevertheless, i know his name is a bit of a four letter word around here, so I dont wanna harp on that too much. There are people who left with him...but there's also people who came back with him gone. I imagine its still a net loss, but once again what do i know?

_____

I kinda think gamescast has lost its footing...or at least I did until i really enjoyed today's pod with marty. dont know what i want here. i feel like the "evergreen" nature makes it suffer at times...yet i dont tune into KF for a mundane rundown of the news.

I wonder if there could be a spinoff gaming pod like PSILY (but for all systems) that are more current events or news. OR maybe that can be a weekly topic rolled into gamescast.

Anyways sorry about the essay.

Link0080

I gotta say this weeks GameOverGreggy show was really great but 1 topic episodes should be put up at once, making them 4 parts is awful and they cut off at awful points.

jviggy43

Well maybe you're not the minority then, but I'd much rather have variety in their shows instead of seeing them more dry and professional on every single one of them.
It can be both tho. They can be funny and goofy while actually covering the news and spending time with topics (hello video titled BB2 and no talk about it). The shows right now just feel like they didn't even schedule anything, that they just showed, looked what's going on and then just goofing around while talking about it here and there. It should be the inverse imo. And yeah, if I wanted to watch some dudes goofing off or comedy there are a lot of other places I'd go to for that. Idk maybe I too am in the minority but it's be nice to see a bit more focus along with the goofing off.

Pryce

Did Colin ever publicly tell people to stop shitting on Kinda Funny? I ask because after watching todays morning show on youtube I viewed the comments and half the comment were completely shitting on tim and praising colin. decent amount of dislikes too.

PepperedHam

Did Colin ever publicly tell people to stop shitting on Kinda Funny? I ask because after watching todays morning show on youtube I viewed the comments and half the comment were completely shitting on tim and praising colin. decent amount of dislikes too.
Nope. I hate to be the kind of person who makes assumptions but I can't help but feel like Colin feels vindicated by it.

Maximo

Considering how narcissistic he is, he has not no.

Mezoly

Just read the comments and it made me mad. I really like Tim and he doesn't deserve to be the scapegoat for the hate mob. I'm not enjoying the content myself but it's not because of Tim, Greg, Nick, etc, It just the company direction and nothing personal.

Not sure if Tim will ever read this but love you dude and keep your head up.

ST2K

Nope. I hate to be the kind of person who makes assumptions but I can't help but feel like Colin feels vindicated by it.

Considering how narcissistic he is, he has not no.

On his last show, he literally said one of his major worries was that the fox was in the henhouse following the way things blew up and that there was no place for hate.

Let's not smear Colin, please.

Zukkoyaki

Caught up with this week's Gamescast and it was the most meh one in a long time. Their guest was very flat and poor at expressing himself in a nuanced manner. Though I did appreciate that he actually had some opinions included some that were against the grain and Greg and Tim. Shows like this need disagreements sometimes and people capable of debating. Problem was, Time and Greg were just like, "Ok." and went on. Very disappointing.

jviggy43

On his last show, he literally said one of his major worries was that the fox was in the henhouse following the way things blew up and that there was no place for hate.

Let's not smear Colin, please.
Did he specifically ask them to stop with the comments orrrrr

It can be both tho. They can be funny and goofy while actually covering the news and spending time with topics (hello video titled BB2 and no talk about it). The shows right now just feel like they didn't even schedule anything, that they just showed, looked what's going on and then just goofing around while talking about it here and there. It should be the inverse imo. And yeah, if I wanted to watch some dudes goofing off or comedy there are a lot of other places I'd go to for that. Idk maybe I too am in the minority but it's be nice to see a bit more focus along with the goofing off.

If you wanted to see dudes talk about videogames you could go to a lot of places you could go for that. I like THESE dudes, I can't just get into anyone.

I feel like that's what they do anyway. They goof off but still talk about the stories when they get to them.

graybot

Can't help but feel that Colin is somehow indirectly stoking the flames

Or maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I don't watch any of his new content for the sheer fact it doesn't really interest me, so I am only going on what I see on twitter. But he did a big post a week ago thanking people and there was no mention of the KF guys. Then he followed this with a tweet for all the people he supports on patreon. No sign of KF. Even as a token gesture you would think he would support his ex colleagues? If he doesn't why bother showing who he does support instead?

Finally, again I could totally be missing something, but did he offer any congratulations to Greg in his recent marriage?

Well maybe you're not the minority then, but I'd much rather have variety in their shows instead of seeing them more dry and professional on every single one of them.

I'm definitely not looking for "dry and professional" but as others have expressed, there's definitely some middle ground to be found. I even mentioned in a previous post that I enjoyed the occasional tangent and silly joke, but it seems that these days they continue to make jokes and then proceed to drive them into the ground. Maybe my patience has just worn thin, maybe their content just isn't for me anymore. But I truly believe that if they returned to the format of old that I would enjoy and watch it much more regularly.

For those interested in the survey KF is doing, just FYI it closes next Monday at 12:01am PT (basically Sunday night). From JoeyNoelle on the KF Forums:

"We were looking to see how many responses we got over the weekend to figure out how long we'd keep it open for. Since we got over 3000(!) so far, we're going to close it next Monday at 12:01am PT. That'll give us time to sort through the responses so we can have a GOG topic on it and go over the findings and similar themes we're seeing."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finally did the survey if they are still looking at the responses.

Also last week's Gamescast with ex Tested now VR man Will Smith was terrible.

Also last week's Gamescast with ex Tested now VR man Will Smith was terrible.

I actually enjoyed it. It was nice to have someone who deals with VR on a regular basis come in and talk about its current state.

However, the very click-baity Bloodborne 2 talk was not their finest moment. They talked about how maybe, just maybe, it could come up at e3 for a New York minute. Then moved on. While I listened to the pod, it was fine. When I went onto YouTube and saw that that was what they used as a title for one of the parts of the video version. Not so much.

But I like Will from his time at tested. And I will look into what he is doing now with VR.

Vanillalite

I actually enjoyed it. It was nice to have someone who deals with VR on a regular basis come in and talk about its current state.

However, the very click-baity Bloodborne 2 talk was not their finest moment. They talked about how maybe, just maybe, it could come up at e3 for a New York minute. Then moved on. While I listened to the pod, it was fine. When I went onto YouTube and saw that that was what they used as a title for one of the parts of the video version. Not so much.

But I like Will from his time at tested. And I will look into what he is doing now with VR.

Part of the problem with guests like this is they tend to be good for the subject they are brought on for. In this case it was VR.

The problem is a lot of the time they suck at everything else. In this case the other hour + of the Gamescast.

It's not a problem unique to Will either. A lot of guests fall into this trap.

_Isaac

Part of the problem with guests like this is they tend to be good for the subject they are brought on for. In this case it was VR.

The problem is a lot of the time they suck at everything else. In this case the other hour + of the Gamescast.

It's not a problem unique to Will either. A lot of guests fall into this trap.
What was bad about the Will Smith episode? Just the click bait Bloodborne section?

ST2K

In general he added nothing of note to all the other topics?

He tried.

He tried to talk about Call of Duty, got minimal engagement from the guys. He tried to talk Dishonored 2 and got minimal engagement from the guys. He brought in points of comparison from the PC world, which of course the guys had no point of reference for.

I don't think it was all that bad. But it takes two to tango and you can only say so much by just monologuing off the cuff with minimal engagement from your conversation partners.

Maximo

He tried.

He tried to talk about Call of Duty, got minimal engagement from the guys. He tried to talk Dishonored 2 and got minimal engagement from the guys. He brought in points of comparison from the PC world, which of course the guys had no point of reference for.

I don't think it was all that bad. But it takes two to tango and you can only say so much by just monologuing off the cuff with minimal engagement from your conversation partners.

Yeeeeeep this he brought up some decent games but neither played or finished any of them so its *yep cool idk tho stupid pc lolololol* and moved on.

I wouldnt say it was bad this week. The VR talk was great and I think the gamescast is at its best with people from game studios like Will, Pete Hines, Tim Schafer and etc. Its just the rest of the topics are getting a bit samey. Honestly they should literally copy the GOG show and just have game topics or just rebrand PSILoveYou as Gamescast that way the show stays topical and we get the show we want (but with less trophy talk).

Vanillalite

He tried.

Yeeeeeep this he brought up some decent games but neither played or finished any of them so its *yep cool idk tho stupid pc lolololol* and moved on.

To be fair I won't put it on Will per say, but he didn't mesh well in terms of games/platform taste so it made it a bad outing.

ST2K

To be fair I won't put it on Will per say, but he didn't mesh well in terms of games/platform taste so it made it a bad outing.

Fair point. They were making jokes about how old he was, Will included. But a better podcast host would have seized on those differences and elaborated or extracted more from that.

Thinking about it now, that's probably another casualty of the topic-focused approach of the Gamescast. Natural-flowing conversation, elaboration on ideas, and generally just diving more deeply into things gets run over because of the urge to get on to the next topic and maybe even them already having planned out the things they want to say on it. I hadn't considered that before.

Thorrgal

Not publicly but as people mentioned in this thread it's entirely possible they spoke privately.

Or not. In any case he knows half (at least) of his patreons are fueled by hate, so he (feels like) can't go againts it, so it's better not to make it public

His content is pretty bad too, it really is, if it wasn't for his past at KF and specially the way he left he would have no patreons.

Must be weird to be making a living of the hate of others though

Vanillalite

Fair point. They were making jokes about how old he was, Will included. But a better podcast host would have seized on those differences and elaborated or extracted more from that.

Thinking about it now, that's probably another casualty of the topic-focused approach of the Gamescast. Natural-flowing conversation, elaboration on ideas, and generally just diving more deeply into things gets run over because of the urge to get on to the next topic and maybe even them already having planned out the things they want to say on it. I hadn't considered that before.

That's why when shit was super busy Garnett invented 4 minute warning back in the day which a ton of gaming podcasts have ripped off since.

If you go in knowing you got 4 mins till the bell to move on you can get to your point quicker without miandering.

Or not. In any case he knows half (at least) of his patreons are fueled by hate, so he (feels like) can't go againts it, so it's better not to make it public

His content is pretty bad too, it really is, if it wasn't for his past at KF and specially the way he left he would have no patreons.

I dislike Colin for his recent antics etc. as much as the next guy, but to say that at least half of his Patreon supporters are fueled by hate seems like a pretty gross oversimplification. Many people still value his opinion on various topics and style of approaching them. Sure, there was animosity amongst the fanbase that led to a drop in KF's Patreon and corresponding surge in Colin's, but I hardly think you can make claims like that.

Poutine

Banned

To some his content may seem bad but he's getting double or more the amount of views per vid that KF is getting on most of theirs. I even think a lot of the views KF IS actually getting are from ex-subscribers who are just checking in since Colin's exit to see if things are getting better or worse. Of course some of them are the haters but I doubt that is as big a percentage as you say. Most people who watch Youtube don't comment.

I say in a few more weeks even the bitter ex-KF fans won't even bother clicking on stuff they post. They are barely breaking 20k views unless its a sure thing for entertainment like a Mario Kart bet or Greg marriage story. And I have no idea how they will garner new fans with the low quality content as of late. The special sauce was with Colin and there is no getting around it. Sometimes you only get one chance to make it big and they seemed like they were getting there in the past with KFL, Greg winning Trending Gamer, etc. Joining RoosterTeeth rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I think even Colin was against it. Now the unique sauce is gone and getting back to a level they were once at is going to be extremely hard no matter what talent they manage to get onboard.

Thorrgal

To some his content may seem bad but he's getting double or more the amount of views per vid that KF is getting on most of theirs. I even think a lot of the views KF IS actually getting are from ex-subscribers who are just checking in since Colin's exit to see if things are getting better or worse. Of course some of them are the haters but I doubt that is as big a percentage as you say. Most people who watch Youtube don't comment.

I say in a few more weeks even the bitter ex-KF fans won't even bother clicking on stuff they post. They are barely breaking 20k views unless its a sure thing for entertainment like a Mario Kart bet or Greg marriage story. And I have no idea how they will garner new fans with the low quality content as of late. The special sauce was with Colin and there is no getting around it. Sometimes you only get one chance to make it big and they seemed like they were getting there in the past with KFL, Greg winning Trending Gamer, etc. Joining RoosterTeeth rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I think even Colin was against it. Now the unique sauce is gone and getting back to a level they were once at is going to be extremely hard no matter what talent they manage to get onboard.

Agree, KF is losing viewers and Colin has a lot of viewers that think his content is good.

That doesn't make his content good, though. His viewers are either gamers or crazy libertarians, not History/Politics buffs, so they will believe anything he says because they don't know better.

I mean, just watch the episode were he talks about Le Pen...laughable. He has 0 insight into european politics.

His show doesn't have the quality to stand on his own. His succes is 100% due to him being part of Beyond first and KF later, and a lot to do with the tweet fallout.

I really hope the guys can turn this around. Part of me misses the old spare bedroom. It gave the guys a DIY attitude and made them relatable to the average viewer. The studio is a necessary evil though, it was needed to grow the brand but I wish they could capture the spare bedroom feeling in the new studio.

40 minutes into this week's podcast with Alfredo and Sean Finnegan and it's been 90% in-depth discussion about Destiny and some other shooters. This is what the podcast needs to do better in the future and why the forced segmenting hinders discussion.

40 minutes into this week's podcast with Alfredo and Sean Finnegan and it's been 90% in-depth discussion about Destiny and some other shooters. This is what the podcast needs to do better in the future and why the forced segmenting hinders discussion.

Isn't that not a forced segment like they have always been doing?

Tim on the morning show yesterday literally said they were going to come on to talk about Destiny. Unless you mean the length, which will probably just be split into 2 parts like what they usually do. Or it'll just be a 40 minute part which they've also had before.

Zukkoyaki

So KFL3 will be hosted by WWE superstar and founder of the UpUpDownDown YouTube channel, Xavier Woods.

https://youtu.be/WUYUBGsLaXE

Very cool! The hype video was extremely well made and goes to show how exceptional the content can be when they really try.

Though I will say that this trailer was a great demonstration of how tone-def they are. It started off great with the host announcement and confirmation of MegaRan but then it quickly fell apart. The entire second half was, "Look! Stuff you can buy, buy, buy! More merch!" I mean, nothing wrong with announcing there's going to be a slew of exclusive merchandise, but the video spent just as much time talking about it as the content of the event.

I'm probably over thinking it but when one of the top criticisms of your channel is overly long ads and trying too hard to push merchandise and sponsorships, this probably could have been handled a little better. Just mention the host, special guests, breakdown of the event and say, "Exclusive merch designed by dudes like Panda Musk."

Mezoly

Figures that the best produced content they did this month is a commercial for KFL3.

Even the tweets didn't just include Xavier Woods announcement it had to have "buy the tickets now" with a link.

Oh well I think it's a big announcement regardless and very cool for people planning to go KFL3.

mitchlol

Ended up unsubbing to all their content. I couldn't stand to hear another 50 podcasts talking up Kinda Funny Live 3, I feel like I only just stopped hearing about the 2nd one.... And by the time they release the video for KFL3 KFL4 will be rearing its head so there's never a time when it isn't discussed. Marty as a guest was the final straw, couldn't stand him and I realized the guests for the show would just be IGN ringers or other youtube/twitch people.

Isn't that not a forced segment like they have always been doing?

Tim on the morning show yesterday literally said they were going to come on to talk about Destiny. Unless you mean the length, which will probably just be split into 2 parts like what they usually do. Or it'll just be a 40 minute part which they've also had before.

Yeah, I was more talking length than about topic. It was a nice meaty discussion about the news of the day with two people who know a ton about it and I really appreciated that.

ghornett

Neo Member
Ended up unsubbing to all their content. I couldn't stand to hear another 50 podcasts talking up Kinda Funny Live 3, I feel like I only just stopped hearing about the 2nd one.... And by the time they release the video for KFL3 KFL4 will be rearing its head so there's never a time when it isn't discussed. Marty as a guest was the final straw, couldn't stand him and I realized the guests for the show would just be IGN ringers or other youtube/twitch people.
I couldn't get past tim talking fire emblem.

Top Bottom