• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

GulAtiCa

Going to be a long time from now, but I really am looking forward to Gen 5 so I can get a Volcarona & Chandelure. Interesting enough, looks like their potential max CP (based on the CP formula we have currently) will have them being pretty good/high. Not sure how useful or anything of course, but I'll be leveling them up since I love those 2 lines anyways.

Growlie19

I had to trudge through heavy rain, but I finally caught myself a Tyranitar! It came at 2049 CP with Bite and Crunch. It also came with eight Rare Candies, enough to get a second T-Tar. That one is 2053 CP with Iron Tail and Crunch, though I used a Fast TM to switch it to Bite. I buffed it up a bit, bringing it to 23XX CP, so I'm pretty happy right now. 229 caught, 233 seen.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Going to be a long time from now, but I really am looking forward to Gen 5 so I can get a Volcarona & Chandelure. Interesting enough, looks like their potential max CP (based on the CP formula we have currently) will have them being pretty good/high. Not sure how useful or anything of course, but I'll be leveling them up since I love those 2 lines anyways.

the only gen I'm not looking forward to is Gen 4 with all those annoying babies we will have to hatch and the ugly evolutions of several Gen 1 mons

zulux21

so my wife's sister didn't get a stop and asked my wife to log in to get a stop. the sister is about 150 miles away.

when she logged in she couldn't get any stops and pokemon quickly ran away.

I am assuming this is an anti gps hack thing they have implemented.

is there risk my wife's sister's account has been banned, and is there a way to safely let someone else log in just for a bit as her sister was really hoping we could catch her a region exclusive when we took a trip overseas later this year?

Did my first Tyranitar raid! It's basically all I really wanted to do after the update, and I can rest easy now.

The raid was an exciting and nerve-wracking experience. I had only eight balls. I hit it with three curveballs and fed it a Golden Razz Berry every time. It broke out of each curved throw despite one of them being an Excellent! I also had three deflected/missed throws.

I got down to two balls, but I fortunately caught in the next throw. I'm happy that I have it, and I have one with a great IV spread (13 HP, 13 ATK 15 HP). It came with Bite and Fire Blast, so I only need a TM to change the Fire Blast.

I earned two 2 Fast TMs and 0 Charged TMs from all of my raids. I will continue to raid for more of these items and the Rare Candy.

Went for a walk (for about three hours) today, first time I've played since they did the gym/raid revamp.

Living in a small town I don't know how great raids are going to be for me out here. I went to three and was the only person around. That's to be expected, the nature of the game makes solving that problem a bit hard, although I appreciate gyms also being pokestops now.

I went to a level (or whatever) three raid with a Gengar - it recommended a team of 13 and when no one else turned up I didn't try. I did have a go at a level two Muk and finished it - had him down in the red but I ran out of time. It was promising though, a good team/type matchup or a few stronger Pokemon mean I might be able to pull it off. Afterwards a level two Wheezing turned up, so I guess the raids here are poison-type at the moment. There's a level one egg hatching in an hour or so so I might take a run at that.

I know you can get a raid ticket a day and you're limited to one at a time, but I picked one up at the first raid, used it at the second, and then spun the stop there after losing and got another one. Is it one per raid as long as you don't have one?

I've also noticed people talking about TMs, that's a thing now? Are they raid rewards? (EDIT: yeah I guess they are).

Just got rid of about 230 Pokemon. Was about time to do so. Now I'm gonna need to calculate a LOT of IVs and then get rid of some more. Makes scrolling already a lot easier.
However it was hard to get rid of some.

WPS

so my wife's sister didn't get a stop and asked my wife to log in to get a stop. the sister is about 150 miles away.

is there risk my wife's sister's account has been banned, and is there a way to safely let someone else log in just for a bit as her sister was really hoping we could catch her a region exclusive when we took a trip overseas later this year?

Yes, this is an anti GPS cheating mechanic. I've had it happen to me after my phones GPS crapped out on a train journey.

After 40 or so failed attempts at things it will let you catch things again.

I think having other people log onto your account is against the terms of service though, so tread carefully, but if you want to get your account overseas you will have to make sure you don't move location too quickly.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Chester tho srsly? Even Chester isn't very near to Chester. It's like having the premier US event in Wyoming!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

hmmm maybe have her not log in for a hour or two then log on for her if you make it obvious like she is on five minutes earlier then all of a sudden shes a hundred and fifty miles away they will catch that

Went for a walk (for about three hours) today, first time I've played since they did the gym/raid revamp.

Living in a small town I don't know how great raids are going to be for me out here. I went to three and was the only person around. That's to be expected, the nature of the game makes solving that problem a bit hard, although I appreciate gyms also being pokestops now.

I went to a level (or whatever) three raid with a Gengar - it recommended a team of 13 and when no one else turned up I didn't try. I did have a go at a level two Muk and finished it - had him down in the red but I ran out of time. It was promising though, a good team/type matchup or a few stronger Pokemon mean I might be able to pull it off. Afterwards a level two Wheezing turned up, so I guess the raids here are poison-type at the moment. There's a level one egg hatching in an hour or so so I might take a run at that.

I know you can get a raid ticket a day and you're limited to one at a time, but I picked one up at the first raid, used it at the second, and then spun the stop there after losing and got another one. Is it one per raid as long as you don't have one?

I've also noticed people talking about TMs, that's a thing now? Are they raid rewards? (EDIT: yeah I guess they are).

making it so you can queue up for online match making as long as you are at a gym would fix that and it would make them a ton more money as well so surprised they didnt go down that route to begin with i would most likely be in over $100 dollars worth of raid passes

GulAtiCa

So last night I got out of a pre-marital church marital counseling with my Fiancee. I checked to see if the local area group I joined was doing any Raids, as it was already 9:10 pm. Turns out they were heading to a Snorlax riad with about 20 minutes left. I was 15 minutes away. We gunned it down to them. Wasn't sure if I'd make it or not, but by time we got there, I got out of the car, and ran down the street a tiny bit to where people were flashing me down with their phones lol. I literally got there just in the nick of time, bought another raid pass and joined with about 50 seconds left. Was a fun moment. Caught the Snorlax and got another Fast TM (got 7 on me now..).

I like this Facebook group I joined. They are local to the area where I live. As well as I'm in a few discord channels now too for the greater Atlanta area. Been meeting with with a lot of people lately doing raids. I'm now at 43 raids done.

Well I had to make a new Pokémon go account and restart from the beginning cause I can't figure out my password.
Anyway chose Charmander and went to a raid with a furret and skarmory. Lol

Jesus Christ, lol. I KNEW this would happen.

One of my Rhydon has been in a gym since the new gyms went live 22 days ago. No one had fought the damn thing this entire time.

And then today, it FINALLY got kicked out... After I had already gotten my 50 coins for the day. More than three weeks in a gym and I got literally nothing for it.

border

And then today, it FINALLY got kicked out... After I had already gotten my 50 coins for the day. More than three weeks in a gym and I got literally nothing for it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more sustained pushback against the way coins are earned (or in this case not earned).

I have lost most of my motivation to engage with the gym system. It seems like either nothing gets knocked off in a day and I earn nothing.......or everything gets knocked off and I'm cheated out of money by the daily cap.

Hycran

Banned
So last night I got out of a pre-marital church marital counseling with my Fiancee.

This sounds like the worst thing. There are many bad things, I've seen some of them, but this must truly be the worst. The fact that you got out of it is truly a sign of gods benevolence towards you.

T.O.P

Banned
I decided to make an alt a couple of weeks ago exactly for gym purposes

It's already level 20 with 3 Alakazam 1 Gengar 1 Flareon and i just use it when i need to get the daily coin reward taking down my primary account, if i a see a gym i'm holding getting stale in a forgotten place for 5-6 days than what's the point in leaving it like that

Also, i am currently at 6 Tyranitar on my main, a month ago i was desperate to find just one Larvitar during the Rock event lol

GulAtiCa

I don't have a gold gym badge yet. You get so many items from it compared to a regular pokestop.

On side note, I've reached 1,500 items today! Lol

GulAtiCa

Yeah, they increased the max storage to 1,500. So I bought those bag items. Wonder how long till they increase it to 2,000. Lol

Edit: This is what 1,500 items looks like: (Also got my 1st ever Metal Coat today!)

DEyProgVYAAwn_t.jpg:large
DEyPsQSVYAAnT5c.jpg:large
DEyPs72U0AAK_es.jpg:large
DEyPtorUMAAne5q.jpg:large
DEyQAmAUwAMw1bC.jpg:large
DEyQBX5UAAAzXLz.jpg:large
DEyQCElVoAAnJSj.jpg:large

Hycran

Banned
1000 bag space was always bs. Just dropped 2g on getting 1500 now I can keep my 4K for other goodies. Really wish we could get more gold a day to accommodate these changes but they are obviously trying to squeeze people for more cash.

Alright since the Gym Update has been out for a while now: Here are my 2 cents about it

Pros:
+ I get a lot more coins now. And I mean a lot. With the old system I probably got around 10 a day. I think the most I ever got was 50. There were many days where I got nothing because it was too much of a hassle to deal with gyms. Now I mostly get my 50 a day. And I love it.

+ Many low level players finally got back into the gym game. Before the update you always saw the same people in gyms and it was mostly the hardcore players and spoofers and almost all were lvl 30 and above. It's so nice to finally see some low level players getting their fun too. I know friends who are so happy that they finally get some coins from gyms, too.

+ Taking down gyms is finally easy. Before it was just too hard to do it alone. Now it's almost perfekt imo. Takes only a few minutes. It's not too easy but also not too hard. This also changed the gym dynamics a lot. You see a lot of changes whereas before certain areas were always just occupied by certain teams.

+ I really enjoy raids. It's fun to interact with other players like never before. I had so many funny interactions with other players, I love it. Really makes you realise that there are really a lot of other people playing, before I hardly saw people playing. Also it's a nice new way to get cool Pokemon.
Also the raid system finally made a lot of Pokemon valuable again. Now you really want to build up good raid counters for certain types. It really motivated me to train a lot of new Pokemon and got me all excited again. I really want to test how far I can get when doing solo raids e.g.

+ The TM machines from raids are a blessing. This was long overdue. I think everybody waited for this. I really love them. Same goes for rare candy. This is such a good addition to this game

+ you get more stardust. I know only 20 for feeding a Pokemon but that's still an addition. Stardust is the most important thing in this game for me so anything to get more is always good.

+ you're not dependent on that stupid 21h cycle. I hated that. You always had to pay attention to it and I hated it when I forgot it or when it changed in the middle of the night. It is so much better to know that the game collects the coins automatically for you

Cons:
- The Update made a lot of Pokemon useless. Before I kept a lot of the mid-tier and mid-level Pokemon in the 1000-1500CP range to use them for gym leveling. it made me feel like almost every Pokemon had it's value because of that cause it could always happen that you need exactly this Pokemon for leveling up against a certain Pokemon. Now I threw away most of them because for batteling you only need the good ones now.

- The 50 coin limit can be a little bit frustrating. It just feels bad if a Pokemon returns with 50 coins and then all the others come back too but grant you nothing. It just feels bad man.
BUT you always have to think about the fact that you still get way more coins than before. Still has a bitter taste to it.

- Bugs: Yep, there are a lot of bugs after the update. The "gym is currently under attack" bug is annoying as hell. You see a gym with an empty spot on the map, walk there for minutes just to find out it's bugged and you can't interact with it.
Also the stability of the game during raids is a disaster. Choosing your Pokemon is such a hassle because it takes sooo long. Also it crushes way too often now.

So all after all I love the update. Made the game a lot better for me. Sure it's not perfect and they need to improve a lot but it's a step into the right direction. Looking foreward to what Niantic will do next. I hope they change the raid Pokemon soon. We need more variety for that.

Firemind

Yeah, they increased the max storage to 1,500. So I bought those bag items. Wonder how long till they increase it to 2,000. Lol

Edit: This is what 1,500 items looks like: (Also got my 1st ever Metal Coat today!)
Your first Metal Coat? Jeez I have 6 of them and I already used two for Scizor and Steelix lol

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
apparently
2938 water gun / hydro pump vaporeon
3379 bite / stone edge tyranitar
2684 psycho cut / psychic alakazam
3016 bite / hydro pump gyarados
3320 dragon breath / hyper beam dragonite
2374 water gun / hydro pump omastar

cant solo a tier 3 arcanine 2%-3% health left each time before the raid timer decided to end at 3 seconds ugh

apparently
2938 water gun / hydro pump vaporeon
3379 bite / stone edge tyranitar
2684 psycho cut / psychic alakazam
3016 bite / hydro pump gyarados
3320 dragon breath / hyper beam dragonite
2374 water gun / hydro pump omastar

cant solo a tier 3 arcanine 2%-3% health left each time before the raid timer decided to end at 3 seconds ugh

Don't you have a good Rhydon? Should be pretty helpful.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
3 of them that are 3k cp wtih mudslap / stone edge but they are really slow attack speed didnt think about using them thought i would run out of time so tried to go with fast dps

robochimp

I hatched my first porygon! I promptly rare candied it up to 50, evolved it and finished the non regional pokedex minus uknown. I am going to Go fest so I should be able to top it off with uknown and a few regionals.

I started exactly a year ago.

border

DEyPs72U0AAK_es.jpg

Damn......500+ Pokeballs/Great Balls. They're so ridiculously common I never carry more than 50 Great Balls......and just delete all regular Pokeballs. Works wonders for freeing up bag space.

So I earlier today I was driving my daughter and her friend to another friends house for a sleep over. While they were unloading their stuff (lol) I saw 3 Pidgey's I was able to catch. I'm about 22,000 XP away from reaching level 24 so I thought to myself fuck it why not. I caught the first Pidgey and my screen did something I've never seen before.

It turned out to be a mother fucking Ditto!!! I got so hyped because you never see rare Pokémon (assuming it's rare) where I live. I'm still hyped about it hours later.

Firemind

3 of them that are 3k cp wtih mudslap / stone edge but they are really slow attack speed didnt think about using them thought i would run out of time so tried to go with fast dps
Even crappy vaporeons would be better than alakazam and dragonite because of the 40% super effective bonus.

robochimp

So I earlier today I was driving my daughter and her friend to another friends house for a sleep over. While they were unloading their stuff (lol) I saw 3 Pidgey's I was able to catch. I'm about 22,000 XP away from reaching level 24 so I thought to myself fuck it why not. I caught the first Pidgey and my screen did something I've never seen before.

It turned out to be a mother fucking Ditto!!! I got so hyped because you never see rare Pokémon (assuming it's rare) where I live. I'm still hyped about it hours later.

Yeah when you see 2-3 of the same common Pokémon and one seems particularly hard to catch chances are it's a ditto.

GulAtiCa

So, for my fiancee's birthday, I got her a brand new iPhone (she previously had a 4S...). With that, she tried Pokemon Go for the 1st time! She's really liking it so far. We walked around the neighborhood catching Pokemon. Was a lot of fun seeing her get all excited for all these Pokemon she doesn't have yet. I maybe remembered things different, but she only started out with 50 pokeballs, I swear I started out with 200... Hmm. Maybe they changed it.

She leveled up so quickly too. Already lv 7 now. 1st catch of the day, new pokemon, new pokestops being 250 xp, first throw, etc really help out.

We ended up doing a Snorlax raid with 3 others, lol. As you could imagine, she didn't exactly last long. I had her wait in the lobby with her 2nd round of Pokemon and had her come back in at the last minute to be there as we killed the Snorlax. She got some rare candies, no golden razz berries yet. Didn't catch it. Would have been funny if she did. She is still learning to throw a curve ball far. Will mainly concentrate on T1/T2 raids with her.

I bought her a GO+ so we can play and drive. Will be here tomorrow actually. Also plan to give her $20 or $40 worth of coins for a month to load her up with raid passes / egg incubators. Mainly doing this to see if she likes this, so far she is enjoying it. I am thinking she will likely be lv 10 tomorrow and lv 15 maybe by end of the week. Raids will easily help lv her up quickly.

How do you get TM's and rare Candies? I haven't gotten or seen one yet.

Joni

Yeah that feeling goes away quickly. I want those pidgey nowadays.

robox

I got more coins in 3 weeks with the new gym system than 11 months with the old system.

same. probably a 100x more.

to be fair, i hadn't realized i could collect coins until a few months ago.
but the old gym totally favoured hardcore high level players, which i wasn't.

and thus i still only have 250 pokebox and 350 item box. debating if i should upgrade my storage with my precious precious coins. been spending them on incubators so i can turn over more eggs

Joni

Finally remembered to invest some stardust in some stronger monsters. Gyriados is almost at 3k now and I gained some 200 points on vaporeon. I should try to get a second one of each with the new system.

Top Bottom