• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal lawsuit filed against NYPD by OWS (evidentiary video included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

The whole point of OWS was to increase attention to these issues. They didn't expect to actually change anything directly. That's something people don't seem to understand for some reason.

Weird isn't it, especially when OWS was so clear on everything.

Sadsic

like in every instance of this theres a woman yelling the same thing over and over very loudly

im like 80% certain its the same woman too

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The whole point of OWS was to increase attention to these issues. They didn't expect to actually change anything directly. That's something people don't seem to understand for some reason.

You mean they weren't able to reform the whole system in 6 months? Fucking worthless.

eosos

Banned
I like this. Even if I don't fully support OWS I like seeing police getting sued, especially NYPD who clearly exercise way too much power.

Man for people who claim OWS is irrelevant a bunch of you seem to really care.

The more I read these comments the more I side with OWS.

nib95

Banned
The one that says that 53% lacked full time employment and were 81#% white?

The silly thing is, you yourself posted a link a while back (the contents of which completely destroyed your point lol) that showed the statistics (when calculated in the same way the national figure is) showed that the unemployment rate recorded among OWS protestors was actually very close to the national average.

But everyone knows your game by now. Carry on ignoring details, skewing facts, omitting the part time employed, students etc to champion your broken argument.

Kinyou

“I was arrested while covering someone else being arrested for complaining about someone else being arrested for doing a ‘mic check’. This is not how our police should act.”
1314667571353whf02.gif

The legend says that they're still busy arresting reporters for reporting about reporters who are getting arrested for reporting about reporters who are getting arrested for reporting about reporters who are getting arrested for reporting about reporters who are getting arrested for reporting about some dude doing a mic-check.

bounchfx

There is absolutely no reason the NYPD should get away with the type of shit they did. I don't see how anyone could support treating innocent people like they did.

How wonderfully convenient it would be for them to outlaw all protesting. Fuck that. If something is fucked up people should be able to take action and not be silenced.

The silly thing is, you yourself posted a link a while back (the contents of which completely destroyed your point lol) that showed the statistics (when calculated in the same way the national figure is) showed that the unemployment rate recorded among OWS protestors was actually very close to the national average.
You mean the one that showed it was actually above the national average. What is it with OWS and it's trouble to understand how to tell the truth?

But everyone knows your game by now. Carry on ignoring details, skewing facts, omitting the part time employed, students etc to champion your broken argument.
Keep trying to lie and bend the truth to cover up the failures of this unemployed rabble of fools.

unomas

Banned
Many/most of the GAF'ers who've been heavily against OWS have regurgitated the same sort of misinformed Right Wing esque trollop. Manos did exactly the same thing. They're all unemployed hippies etc etc. Then people post the links and studies that show what the real break up in socio economics amongst protestors is and they just ignore it and rave on about some other irrelevant or misguided point instead.

I'm conservative and side with much of the OWS. I'm not a democrat or republican as I don't believe in that garbage, but try not to paint everyone with the same brush. Not all of us take sides like it's the fucking superbowl because of some blind allegiance to a fake team (dems/repubs).

Enron

Banned
Lots of Occupy in the news this morning.

Meanwhile, in San Fracisco...

A day that is expected to be filled with anti-establishment protests all around the globe began early last night with a roving band of "anarchists" smashing car windows and store fronts in San Francisco's Mission District. The mini-riot (which was technically on April 30, but still) may have started as a "ruckus street party" organized by Occupy Oakland protesters who invaded their sister city last night, but whoever was responsible appeared to show little regard for the property of either the 1% or the other 99.

Various witness accounts say a group of between 50 and 100 people moved down Valencia St. smashing windows, throwing paint balls, and even attacking an unsuspecting police station. The cops were apparently not prepared to make mass arrests and were slow to respond to the chaos, though it quickly broke up. The blog, Mission Local, has a good round up of the scene from last night.

Many in the Occupy movement are blaming outsiders and "Black Bloc" anarchists who have a habit of hijacking peaceful protests for the own purposes. Unfortunately, most regular citizens won't know or care to make the distinction — particularly if they wake to find their automobiles destroyed. Every thing that happens during today's highly anticipated general strike, the good and the bad, will likely be conflated with larger Occupy Wall Street movement and destroying local business and poverty will win the cause few new friends.

Tensions are likely to be pretty high, especially in New York City, were some leading organizers were reportedly visited at home by New York police and FBI agents yesterday who interviewed them about their plans. (The high temperatures and
80% chance of rain won't help either.) It remains to be seen if other May Day events will encounter problems like we saw in San Francisco last night, but the NYPD is obviously expecting some trouble and will likely be better prepared for it than most police forces. Anarchists or no anarchists, we've all seen how quickly a peaceful protest can turn violent.

Journalist explains why he's finished with Occupy Atlanta

Confirming what nearly everyone believed about Occupy Atlanta to be true. Whether you are for or against Occupy, nearly everyone can agree that Occupy Atlanta was especially shitty.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
CNN did a live shot of Zuccoti Park. It's pretty empty.

goodcow

CNN did a live shot of Zuccoti Park. It's pretty empty.

I'm in Bryant Park and there's only a few hundred people here. It seems turnout is very low compared to last Fall's march on Wall St., but then there are supposed to be protestors in dozens of locations in NYC today, not just one centralized spot.

Yes, I have a job. I'm going to my union job at 2pm.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You mean the one that showed it was actually above the national average. What is it with OWS and it's trouble to understand how to tell the truth?

Keep trying to lie and bend the truth to cover up the failures of this unemployed rabble of fools.

67% have a full or part time job. Are there unemployed among them? Sure. Geez dude the unemployed aren't even anywhere close to a majority let alone being "most" of OWS

67% have a full or part time job. Are there unemployed among them? Sure. Geez dude the unemployed aren't even anywhere close to a majority let alone being "most" of OWS

Part time is way to nebulous of a term. It could mean a work studies job for a college student for a stipend or odd/infrequent work hours. It's a way to claim more are not unemployed, when it's not necessarily an accurate reflection. What is know is that 53% lack full time employment.

The Technomancer

Part time is way to nebulous of a term. It could mean a work studies job for a college student for a stipend or odd/infrequent work hours. It's a way to claim more are not unemployed, when it's not necessarily an accurate reflection. What is know is that 53% lack full time employment.

So because I'm on a stipend at college I shouldn't be counted as employed "enough" to not be an unemployed hippie? Despite the fact that I'm fully paying for my own food and rent and utilities? I get payed by the National Science Foundation, as far as I can tell I count as some kind of public employee.

So because I'm on a stipend at college I shouldn't be counted as employed "enough" to not be an unemployed hippie? Despite the fact that I'm fully paying for my own food and rent and utilities? I get payed by the National Science Foundation, as far as I can tell I count as some kind of public employee.

The stipend is because you are going to college. You wouldn't be able to have access to it otherwise, and it's used as a supplement for education expense.

The Technomancer

The stipend is because you are going to college. You wouldn't be able to have access to it otherwise, and it's used as a supplement for education expense.

So the distinction comes down to why I was hired? Not the fact that I am actually doing work? It doesn't matter what I'm contributing and receiving reimbursement for, my "employment status" is a factor of why I was given the job in the first place?

sangreal

isn't the point of a stipend to alleviate your need to get a (paid) job? I think it's odd to consider that employment, but I also wouldn't consider volunteering to be employment

The Technomancer

So its not about weather someone is contributing to the workforce, its about weather they were judged good enough to be employed without external incentives? I don't agree with your focus at all; the long and short of it is that someone doing part time work on a stipend is still working regardless of why they're doing it

isn't the point of a stipend to alleviate your need to get a (paid) job? I think it's odd to consider that employment, but I also wouldn't consider volunteering to be employment
How are we using the word stipend here? I'm referring to my 20hr/week research appointment, I do actual engineering work contributing to various projects

IISANDERII

Of course peaceful attempts at change won't work; this is the United States government we're talking about here.

So its not about weather someone is contributing to the workforce, its about weather they were judged good enough to be employed without external incentives? I don't agree with your focus at all; the long and short of it is that someone doing part time work on a stipend is still working regardless of why they're doing it
It's not a real job, it's work, but it's not the same as regular employment.

How are we using the word stipend here? I'm referring to my 20hr/week research appointment, I do actual engineering work contributing to various projects
Ah I see where your coming from. In general I'm talking more about the 10 hours or less ones. Still it's a stipend position that is only there because of your educational pursuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom