• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC trailer [Matchmaking, new bosses, enemies, NPCs, weapons, armor, areas]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
An overpowered Pyro allows for a larger entry level, without resorting to handholding which is good.
Too bad the PVP suffers from it, apparently (though i don't do pvp, and as far as i know, pyro is not very used in PVP anyway).

The long wind-up for non-Dex builds combined with the short range makes it a non-starter in high-level, one-on-one PvP duels, but it's still popular with invaders.

There's one Pyromancy buff that's commonly used even in high-level dueling, but that's actually because it's glitched in such a way that it's way more powerful than it should be.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't know why pyromancy is more boring than sorcery.
It's more boring because it requires next to no dedication. You can have max level pyromancy and still rock another raw build - unlike sorcery.

I guess I see it as a set of skills that any build can have and not a build of it's own. I never got into PvP so I can't speak from that side of things. For me, I like to focus on melee 90% of the time but it's nice to have some powerful range spells in a pinch.

Neiteio

If you're a newbie to this game, what class or classes or whatever will stack the odds in your favor to give you the best fighting chance?

Orayn

If you're a newbie to this game, what class or classes or whatever will stack the odds in your favor to give you the best fighting chance?

Many will say Pyromancer or Sorcerer because they give you access to some pretty powerful magic. Bandit is also a good choice because they start with a great weapon and have the lowest stats in the stuff a melee build doesn't need.

UrbanRats

I'm no expert, but you can also start as a warrior (which is easy to grasp, really) and acquire the Pyro glove later on, when things get harder.
In my first run i started as a knight (and the fatroll was a pain in the ass) and then got the Pyro flame, it wasn't bad at all.

Then again, you can have a 100% shield very early on,
sneaking up on the sleeping dragon

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can I be a pyromancer/sorcerer and still hit shit with a sword?
You can always be a pyromancer. Combine that with a battle sorc and you'll be able to be a sorc with melee-capabilites :3

Zertez

Pyromancy balance is just one of the problems with the current PvP system. With covenants and the humanity system, you are forced into certain builds and gear if you want to compete. I dont mind losing to someone with more skill and better gear, but unless you go with set builds and high end upgraded gear, normal players dont stand a chance of winning. If there was a way to co-op without worrying about griefers invading constantly at lower levels, it wouldnt be a big deal, but you cant experience co-op without the risk of overpowered players.

I hope with the next game they tie pvp matchmaking with level, the level of the gear/spells and match active invaders against people with more pvp experience. The changes wont stop all griefing, but it will help match players with similar skill, gear and levels. Hopefully rather than turn people off from online play, it will ease new players into the system and allow them to learn the PvP game as they are learning the PvE game. It is tough to learn anything from being killed in one hit by an overpowered player, outside of learning not to play online in human form.

The game would benefit tremendously from better textures in addition to the framerate, imo.
All console games do, it's just not reasonable to expect it in this case. They seem to be pretty budget restraint (DD only in US etc.). The best we can hope for (aside from AA, res and FPS of course) is some improved lighting/shadowing I guess.

Quick question that popped in my head when reading the Pyromancy stuff: Classes just affect starting gear/skills but in the course of the game I'm still free to do what I want like in Demon's Souls, right?

Zertez

All console games do, it's just not reasonable to expect it in this case. They seem to be pretty budget restraint (DD only in US etc.). The best we can hope for (aside from AA, res and FPS of course) is some improved lighting/shadowing I guess.

Quick question that popped in my head when reading the Pyromancy stuff: Classes just affect starting gear/skills but in the course of the game I'm still free to do what I want like in Demon's Souls, right?
Correct. Picking a starting class just alters your beginning stats, equipment, and spells. After that you are free to use any gear, pick any stat or play how you wish. You can turn a Sorcerer into a Warrior, or any class you want. About the only thing your starting class choice does is give you a small headstart in that field. It doesnt take long to catch up, if you choose a different starting path, just like in Demon Souls.

Orayn

Dark Souls has a Vancian magic system, like tabletop D&D. Each attunement slot gets filled by a spell with a limited number of charges, which are refilled when you rest at a bonfire.

Correct. Picking a starting class just alters your beginning stats, equipment, and spells. After that you are free to use any gear, pick any stat or play how you wish. You can turn a Sorcerer into a Warrior, or any class you want. About the only thing your starting class choice does is give you a small headstart in that field. It doesnt take long to catch up, if you choose a different starting path, just like in Demon Souls.
Thanks, good to hear. I always liked that approach.

Gvaz

Banned
I can't wait to use cheatengine to trivialize the stupid rpg mechanics I don't have the patience anymore for. You can't do that on the consoles anymore because sony and MS are both like "abloo bloo achievements and gamerscore!!"

I don't give a fuck about some stupid cheevs, lemme trivialize stupid mechanics in games!

Jintor

PCPP's feature article got reduced to a 2 pager :|

Not much new info. Should hit shelves on Wednesday (Tuesday for you US folk)

I can't wait to use cheatengine to trivialize the stupid rpg mechanics I don't have the patience anymore for. You can't do that on the consoles anymore because sony and MS are both like "abloo bloo achievements and gamerscore!!"

I don't give a fuck about some stupid cheevs, lemme trivialize stupid mechanics in games!

like what

Gvaz

Banned
Like being punished for a lapse in attention of 5 seconds and having to do the entire dungeon over because you died to some offscreen monster dicing you up out of view, or because you missed dodging one attack of a boss.

That's just masochistic and unfun.

I wouldn't care nearly as much if the dungeon didn't reset or you were able to quicksave before a fight and just quickload back to where you were. Downtime is not a good thing in games.

Like being punished for a lapse in attention of 5 seconds and having to do the entire dungeon over because you died to some offscreen monster dicing you up out of view, or because you missed dodging one attack of a boss.

I wouldn't care nearly as much if the dungeon didn't reset or you were able to quicksave before a fight and just quickload back to where you were. Downtime is not a good thing in games.

why stop there
might as well just put all your stats to 99999 while your at it

Tain

"i want to trivialize dumb mechanics.

this game would be better with the worst, most mindless retry structure ever."

That's not a stupid mechanic though. Just unforgiving, which is what they aimed for and why a lot of people like the game. There wouldn't be the amount of tension and curiosity if you could quicksave.

A stupid mechanic would be the drop rates for some of the stones (at least going from my experience with Demon's). Unless you have too much free time a lot of the weapons are simply unachievable since you'll have to grind for hundreds of hours. It would be OK to have some super rare stuff as a carrot for the devoted but I couldn't get a good sticky bow going since creepers wouldn't drop enough Spiderstones for some reason etc.

Gvaz

Banned
why stop there
might as well just put all your stats to 99999 while your at it
Your hyperbole is unnecessary, I want to play the game not have it play itself.

That's one of the great things about PC gaming, you can play it however the fuck you want! You're not forced to comply if you don't want to.

That's not a stupid mechanic though. Just unforgiving, which is what they aimed for and why a lot of people like the game. There wouldn't be the amount of tension and curiosity if you could quicksave.

A stupid mechanic would be the drop rates for some of the stones (at least going from my experience with Demon's). Unless you have too much free time a lot of the weapons are simply unachievable since you'll have to grind for hundreds of hours. It would be OK to have some super rare stuff as a carrot for the devoted but I couldn't get a good sticky bow going since creepers wouldn't drop enough Spiderstones for some reason etc.

Yeah if I can grinding for low drop rate items is not a thing I do. I'd rather find one or two of the items, change it to 99 and forget about it and work on the actual shit I want to work on, like crafting or whatever.

As for the lack of tension, I'm more into it for the setting and theme and combat style than the unforgiving mechanics. There really isn't much to choose from in the vein of Demon Souls or Dark Souls but the masochistic nature of the game I feel ruins what could be pretty awesome.

zkylon

zkylewd

That's one of the great things about PC gaming, you can play it however the fuck you want! You're not forced to comply if you don't want to.

Yeah if I can grinding for low drop rate items is not a thing I do. I'd rather find one or two of the items, change it to 99 and forget about it and work on the actual shit I want to work on, like crafting or whatever.

As for the lack of tension, I'm more into it for the setting and theme and combat style than the unforgiving mechanics. There really isn't much to choose from in the vein of Demon Souls or Dark Souls but the masochistic nature of the game I feel ruins what could be pretty awesome.
I know where you're coming from (I cheesed a lot of upgrade materials, Stones of Ephemeral Eyes, etc., on Demon's to avoid grinding or having to beat the game 7 times to get all achievements), and the more power to you if you do play the game that way, but missing on the tension and the gratification would be missing out on something that's essencial to the DS experience.

I'd say you have nothing to lose by trying it with an open mind for a few times, see if you feel frustrated or mad, etc.

If not, really, I'm glad you can still enjoy it by removing the elements you find frustrating. That's the beauty of PC gaming and modding, you can tailor the game to your tastes, and it just makes the game better for it.

I guess but if your going to cheat you really don't need to try to quantify it by making shit up. All that needs to be said is "i need to cheat because i falter in the face of a challenge". No need to make up reasons when the only reason is lack of player skill.

I find it hard to beat most of the Contra games but I don't try to justify by saying "the mechanics are bad" or some dumb thing like that, I just say I am not good enough. Although I don't cheat to beat them, I just put it down and try another day.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
There's no Dark Souls OT still breathing that I know of so I'll use this thread to say :

Fuck Tomb Of Giants, Fuck Nito!

At least I found the bonefire near Patches, I missed it for longer than I'll care to admit :p Too far along to abandon, I'll show this game who's the boss!

Soo regarding this new content coming to consoles what would you guys prefer :
-DLC
-New disk version of the game

My money is on the new version of the game, in the goal of pulling gamers who haven't made the jump yet and it would also bring a lot a of player to the online.

Orayn

There's no Dark Souls OT still breathing that I know of so I'll use this thread to say :

Fuck Tomb Of Giants, Fuck Nito!

At least I found the bonefire near Patches, I missed it for longer than I'll care to admit :p Too far along to abandon, I'll show this game who's the boss!

Soo regarding this new content coming to consoles what would you guys prefer :
-DLC
-New disk version of the game

My money is on the new version of the game, in the goal of pulling gamers who haven't made the jump yet and it would also bring a lot a of player to the online.

New disc version might be the only option depending on how the original is set up. There are cases where adding content as DLC isn't feasible, like when it would require them to completely redo a large area to accommodate new stuff. DLC would be preferable, but my money is on a new disc release.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Shit like this is why games suck these days. If you don't want any tension or consequences for poor decisions whatsoever then there are a million other games that are willing to coddle and pamper you.

Cyrano

Shit like this is why games suck these days. If you don't want any tension or consequences for poor decisions whatsoever then there are a million other games that are willing to coddle and pamper you.
Yeah, I'm kind of a proponent of "down with fun" in games. Give me challenge, give me tension, give me good design. Fun is mostly just a coded term for boring and/or easy these days.

zkylon

zkylewd
I guess but if your going to cheat you really don't need to try to quantify it by making shit up. All that needs to be said is "i need to cheat because i falter in the face of a challenge". No need to make up reasons when the only reason is lack of player skill.

I find it hard to beat most of the Contra games but I don't try to justify by saying "the mechanics are bad" or some dumb thing like that, I just say I am not good enough. Although I don't cheat to beat them, I just put it down and try another day.
It's perfectly valid to think the mechanics are stupid while sucking at the game.

Jintor

I honestly found a lot of Dark Souls' challenge to be overstated, but then again I tended to fall into a very zen state of mind while playing

It's perfectly valid to think the mechanics are stupid while sucking at the game.

Yeah but anyone with half a mind, who has ever conquered anything difficult in their life knows Demon/Dark Souls is 100% fair in both mechanics and scenario/level design. The game goes out of their way to telegraph everything to you without downright screaming into your face. The enemies are all slow and outside of a few instances give you plenty of time to learn how to combat them before even swinging. I guess the fact that the game has an element of "endurance" ala true old school games would be a problem if the game was insanely complex, fast, and super hard. The problem is that great games tend to get shit on by low skilled players, and almost never the other way around. I wonder why.

Ninja dogs need not apply.

Or in short, this.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dark Souls isn't that punishing.

Eh Dark Souls definitely has its moments.

wefw.gif

That's why I like it though.

Cyrano

Yeah but anyone with half a mind, who has ever conquered anything difficult in their life knows Demon/Dark Souls is 100% fair in both mechanics and scenario/level design. The game goes out of their way to telegraph everything to you without downright screaming into your face. The enemies are all slow and outside of a few instances give you plenty of time to learn how to combat them before even swinging. I guess the fact that the game has an element of "endurance" ala true old school games would be a problem if the game was insanely complex, fast, and super hard.
More than this, it's teaching you as you play it. You get dogs before you Capra demon and dogs. Then you get... well, eventually, lots of Capra Demons. The game's not trying to trick you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom