• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC trailer [Matchmaking, new bosses, enemies, NPCs, weapons, armor, areas]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Thread-wide overreaction engaged.

I started down this road, too, but let's slow down a bit. How about we wait until we have some actual data about how this thing performs and what options it offers before we go crazy? You know, instead of depending on vague hints in translated interviews and extrapolating from there.
I agree, I still think the resolution thing must be a miscommunication. I'm just saying that if it's not, it's in the running for shittiest PC port of all time just based on that, and really shouldn't be supported.

Unlike, say, GFWL (a perfectly reasonable development decision) or even a 30 FPS lock (can be explained if their engine design is from 1985), limiting the game to a single resolution would be nothing less than deliberately sabotaging the PC version. There is no other way to put it.

Vorg

Banned
If unplayable framerates in certain areas = fine, then sure.

Blight town for one, is absolute horrendous.

Sub-10fps in sections = not fine.

Hell, sub-30 isn't "fine" but you can stick with it.

It's a mess framerate wise on console and the fact it's such a great game is the only reason I can overlook it. On substantially more powerful hardware? Fuck that, it should be 60 at all times. Never dipping below 30 at a minimum.

Some people have such pathetically low standards.

Uhm, guys? It's only blight town, ok? I agree that the framerate is unacceptable in blight town. It runs fine for the other 95% of the game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Locked resolution will be patched out. Locked framerate will be patched out as well judging from how the console versions are programmed. Just relax, the PC scene has got our backs.
You are rolling the dice with something that isn't always possible if you believe that.

Saty

First up, support for a keyboard and mouse will be included but minimal, with Miyazaki recommending use of a game pad and confirming that the menu and inventory screens will remain unaltered. Graphic options will be similarly sparse, which Miyazaki attributes to Namco Bandai requesting that the game be a “straight port”; this may even rule out optimisation in areas such as Blighttown and New Londo Ruins where the developer’s technical achievements on console were not able to quite match that of their artistic vision, resulting in frame-rate issues.
“Personally, I am interested in the concept of mods,” Miyazaki told assembled journalists. “However, due to the lack of experience of creating PC games, both as a director and a company, we need more time to adapt to what PC gamers would want with regard to mods, so at this time we’re not announcing anything.

Any further developments for Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition will likely be heavily influenced by sales performance, with Namco Bandai acknowledging that Dark Souls is something of a test case for them to gauge interest in the IP which, outside of the petition that supposedly facilitated this launch, remains unknown.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/17/die-another-day-going-masochist-with-dark-souls-on-pc/

I doubt that resolution thing is true but if 30FPS lock is in effect I am not going to bother. 60FPS is the majority reason I play games on PC. Will wait till the final product is out obviously.

Glass Rebel

I said it already but GFWL is already more hassle than I should have to deal with. Some people I remember in other threads can't play GFWL games at all because of region restrictions and the like. But I can deal with that. I did so with the Dawn of War II games and the Batman games. I was burned once when my Dawn of War save was deleted but if the game is great, I'll just bite the bullet.

Now, if they manage to puke on this pile of shit by locking the framerate and the resolution that's absolutely unaccaptable and will make me lose all my respect for From and everybody involved.

For now, I'll wait and see how this develops but I'm very pessimistic.

If you thought it was just 5-10 second instances in Blighttown, I'm going to assume you're not good at spotting drops in general ;)
Well I'm talking about drops that were bad enough to be instantly noticeable and harmful to the experience. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other instances but I felt like the game ran just fine for the most part.

Oh, now that I'm thinking about it I do remember one other area where the framerate took a noticeable hit --- near the entrance to New Londo Ruins.

RedSwirl

I don't think I've seen a 3D PC game yet with a locked resolution unless you count trying to run games from the 90's on today's systems.

Zimbardo

"Sparse" graphics options sounds like Darksiders to me - perfectly acceptable.

The whole locked resolution thing is probably another case of "game journalism FUCK YEAH".

as minimal as the graphic options were in Darksiders, i could live with that because the game ran @ 60fps and anti aliasing could be forced via graphic card's control panel, etc.

so yeah, if Dark Souls was like that, then i could deal with it.

Well I'm talking about drops that were bad enough to be instantly noticeable and harmful to the experience. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other instances but I felt like the game ran just fine for the most part.

Oh, now that I'm thinking about it I do remember one other area where the framerate took a noticeable hit --- near the entrance to New Londo Ruins.

Just destroy some boxes or go near enemies that have fire attacks and your framerate will probably drop by 10.

There were drops everywhere.

Durante

as minimal as the graphic options were in Darksiders, i could live with that because the game ran @ 60fps and anti aliasing could be forced via graphic control panel, etc.

so yeah, if Dark Souls was like that, then i could deal with it.
I think that's by far the most reasonable assumption at this point, and what I expected from the start.

casabolg

Banned
I never played King's Field, but he looks pretty neat.

He is pretty neat. Last time you fought him he was in the astral plane and mostly not moving but the head/neck so we have no idea what to expect. It's the most memorable fight in the entire King's Field series so it's bound to be fantastic in Dark Souls.

Plus, you know, cyclops dragon. Very unique.

Vorg

Banned
Bullshit. Blighttown is the worst, but the moment anything starts getting heavy the game chugs. There are huge drops everywhere.

Just destroy some boxes or go near enemies that have fire attacks and your framerate will probably drop by 10.

There were drops everywhere.

Oh yeah the console game runs at like, 4 fps throughout the entire playthrough. Seriously, you're making it sound much worse than it actually is. It runs at a pretty decent and expected framerate for an open world game on consoles. It's perfectly playable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whoa now, there is talk of limiting the resolution to 720p as well? Why is the fuck would they do that?!

Almost makes me wonder if the PC version is just an emulated version of the console game or something.

Oh yeah the console game runs at like, 4 fps throughout the entire playthrough. Seriously, you're making it sound much worse that in actually is. It runs at a pretty decent and expected framerate for an open world game on consoles. It's perfectly playable.

I'm describing it exactly how it is. There are drops in every section of the game.

Anything below 30 is bad. Dark Souls regularly drops to about 20, and in some areas and encounters, much more than that. I'm sorry you feel offended by the truth, but it is how it is.

It's a fucking brilliant game, but the framerate issues are horrific.

Durante

Whoa now, there is talk of limiting the resolution to 720p as well? Why is the fuck would they do that?!

Almost makes me wonder if the PC version is just an emulated version of the console game or something.
Except that even most emulators for 3D systems allow you to freely alter the rendering resolution.

This won't happen.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer

I wish I could be like you. Blighttown almost made me quit the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Except that most emulators for 3D systems allow you to freely alter the rendering resolution.

This won't happen.
So do most actual games.

I dunno what they're doing over there.

First game that comes to mind is From Dust. There are others.
That's not true. From Dust has a locked framerate, but you can adjust the resolution freely.

Vorg

Banned
I'm describing it exactly how it is. There are drops in every section of the game.

Anything below 30 is bad. Dark Souls regularly drops to about 20, and some areas and encounters, much more than that. I'm sorry you feel offended by the truth, but it is how it is.

It's a fucking brilliant game, but the framerate issues are horrific.

Offended is a strong word. I just don't think it affects the experience as much as you're making it sound it does.

I wish I could be like you. Blighttown almost made me quit the game.
There were 1 or 2 instances in Blighttown where the framerate was so bad that it literally looked like a slideshow. I can definitely understand why people would have a major issue with that but it honestly only happened a couple of times and the rest of the game felt fine to me.

When I think "horrific" framerate I think of something like Perfect Dark MP on N64.

kodt

Banned
If unplayable framerates in certain areas = fine, then sure.

Blight town for one, is absolute horrendous.

Except the game doesn't have unplayable framerates anywhere in the game. Blight town is slow, but perfectly playable. After you beat it once you can pretty much run through it skipping almost all of the enemies. It is a breeze. You can make it to the first bonfire in less than a minute if you just run for it and know the area.

Offended is a strong word. I just don't think it affects the experience as much as you're making it sound it does.

The great aspects outweighs it significantly, but I was constantly annoyed by the game being so inconsistent with the framerate. It did take away from the experience in several spots and was downright annoying in countless others.

mxgt

Banned
Oh yeah the console game runs at like, 4 fps throughout the entire playthrough. Seriously, you're making it sound much worse than it actually is. It runs at a pretty decent and expected framerate for an open world game on consoles. It's perfectly playable.

Just because it's playable doesn't mean there isn't severe frame rate issues.

I don't even know why people downplay them. It's great that you aren't effected by shoddy performance but don't even act like it isn't a big deal, because it is.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I agree, I still think the resolution thing must be a miscommunication. I'm just saying that if it's not, it's in the running for shittiest PC port of all time just based on that, and really shouldn't be supported.

Unlike, say, GFWL (a perfectly reasonable development decision) or even a 30 FPS lock (can be explained if their engine design is from 1985), limiting the game to a single resolution would be nothing less than deliberately sabotaging the PC version. There is no other way to put it.
Not like this. Not like this.

Sentenza

I don't get it. People were begging for this game and now that it's coming they won't buy it because of GFWL, graphics options and whatever. If you guys don't buy it, they won't consider releasing it on pc the next time. As simple as that. The game is amazing regardless of GFWL or the inclusion of graphics options.
This shit has to stop.
First, no one is "begging" about anything. People said they were more than willing to buy the game if ported on PC and Namco encouraged those expectations.

Second, when people said they were willing to buy the game on PC, they were obviously referring to a port with some dignity and effort putted in.
As I already said no resolution and no improved framerate aren't even "missing features", but if confirmed they would point to a deliberate attempt to cripple this port.

Third. Yes, shockingly people can feel the legitimate instinct to complain when their fair and reasonable expectations are virtually mocked by a developer/publisher.

casabolg

Banned
I just wanted to discuss the game content but no, we can't have any discussion of video games here. Only technical aspects. Now I have to go to class.
I'm severely disappointed in all of you.

Except for Easymode and Dariso. They're still cool.
The rest of you think about what you've done. You could learn something from these two.

frpg_120319_181657_HQSS-630x354.jpg

Calling it right now. Spoilers:
That hand is not a boss, it's located behind the Hydra in the Darkroot Basin, where Dusk is trapped inside of the crystal golem, and picks you up (ala frampt) and transports you to the new area(s).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Also from the same link on the GFWL issue

In this area, it’s looking very likely that it will be Games for Windows Live that will provide a measure of security, although a Namco Bandai spokesperson insists that this is “still to be decided”. Yet another petition that has cropped up online since GFWL support was announced last week, with petitioners lobbying for the use of Valve’s Steamworks, rather than GFWL.

I am just glad they didn't decided on GFWL yet,so there is still hope to "save" the game.

Gvaz

Banned
Except the game doesn't have unplayable framerates anywhere in the game. Blight town is slow, but perfectly playable. After you beat it once you can pretty much run through it skipping almost all of the enemies. It is a breeze. You can make it to the first bonfire in less than a minute if you just run for it and know the area.
For most people unplayable is less than 20 fps. It certainly is for me. I prefer a minimum of like 40fps.

MMaRsu

Banned
frpg_120319_181657_HQSS-630x354.jpg

Calling it right now. Spoilers:
That hand is not a boss, it's located behind the Hydra in the Darkroot Basin, where Dusk is trapped inside of the crystal golem, and picks you up (ala frampt) and transports you to the new area(s).

But that was also called before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom