• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Activations disappear when changing graphics cards [Ubi Responds, Is Snarky]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This sounds like a theoretical situation that any of you are unlikely to run into = successfully fulfils criteria for GAF contrived outrage.

I RAN into this situation with Riddick.

you sound like a tool.

Wow I didn't even knew there were people this stupid on this board. You know, sometimes people play their games longer than 2 months. Imagine this someone will still play this in 2 years. :O Hard to understand I know, but now imagine this. Within these 2 years someone might change his graphics cards 3 times. Uncommon, but completely possible.

Damn son, are you really this dense?

yeah, I'm in awe.

This sounds like a theoretical situation that any of you are unlikely to run into = successfully fulfils criteria for GAF contrived outrage.

This kind of condescending, content-free post is unwise in a thread containing a participating moderator. Allow me to give you a few examples of how to rephrase your post to make a substantive claim so that you might prompt a discussion and escape the banhammer:

1) I don't think PC gamers actually buy games and I don't think PC gamers have the right to a working product.

2) Who here has ever bought a new video card? Show of hands!

3) This sounds like a theoretical situation that any of you are unlikely to run into, and therefore it is not worth complaining about because when do unlikely things ever happen?

4) I think you are all lying about being outraged.

5) Benchmarks are an unauthorized usage of the software and the prevention of this is a feature, not a bug. (might want to check this one)

6) One time I heard of DRM that was worse than this, therefore you have no right to complain.

7) People are dying all over the world, therefore it is morally wrong to waste your time complaining about something so trivial.

8) The Aristocrats!

fushi

During the last year alone I switched out a graphic card, motherboard and hard drives twice (one SSD died). And I'm not even that hardcore for a PC person.

The tone of your posts does suggest that you'd be a valuable new asset to Ubisoft's customer service department. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow I didn't even knew there were people this stupid on this board. You know, sometimes people play their games longer than 2 months. Imagine this someone will still play this in 2 years. :O Hard to understand I know, but now imagine this. Within these 2 years someone might change his graphics cards 3 times. Uncommon, but completely possible.

Damn son, are you really this dense?

Ubi's response mentions "hardware changes", so I doubt the activations are tied to just the GPU.

Edit: Clarity.

Theoretical? If I install the game on my desktop computer and then my laptop, I´m allowed one hardware change on either of them before I have to either fight the support or rebuy the game?

People need to stop dismissing legit concerns just because they themselves don´t care about it.

I just Googled "Anno 2070 crack", and yes, there are plenty of ways to bypass that.

I highly recommend anyone inconvenienced by this to simply crack the game, and preferably to contact Ubisoft to tell them that they've cracked the game.

Is there any way for Steam to somehow detect activation cracks and hypothetically ban your account for "cheating" or "hacking" or something retarded? I don't care about cracking activations on a game I've paid for, I just don't want to lose my account over it assuming that reservation is legitimate.

subversus

I think Ubisoft should leave PC market when it comes to the traditional model. This is getting ridiculous.

Shoddy ports - ok, everybody does this
Always online - ok, but not convenient
A game tells you what you shouldn't do with your pc - FUCK YOU

I don't want to give this company any money but I want to play Anno, Far Cry 3 and so on. I guess I'll buy them at 5$ each at some sale and crack them.

Leave this market, Ubi. It's embarassing.

God damn, every day I think about dropping fifty dollars to get Anno 2070 NOW, this instantly drained every ounce of enthusiasm I had for the game. That is some insulting bullshit.

jediyoshi

The response mentions "hardware changes", so I doubt the activations are tied to just the GPU.
Nope, that's it.

then to match the timedemo sequence we install the NVIDIA system, which has a GeForce GTX 580. So far it's all good, we have created a timedemo sequence, defined our image quality settings, took screenshots and the numbers for the first two cards.

For the NVIDIA setup I take out the GTX 580, and insert a GTX 590. When I now startup the game 'BAM', again an activation is required. Once again I fill out the key and now Ubisoft is thanking me with the message that I ran out of activations.

Here's what Ubisofts DRM is doing these days, they don't just verify the number of PCs you work on, nope .. they monitor hardware changes. So once we inserted that GeForce GTX 590 the hardware id # hash changed rendering our activation invalid.

scitek

Is there any way for Steam to somehow detect activation cracks and hypothetically ban your account for "cheating" or "hacking" or something retarded? I don't care about cracking activations on a game I've paid for, I just don't want to lose my account over it assuming that reservation is legitimate.

I think you can get a VAC ban on some games at the very least. I know people have hacked Modern Warfare 3 to change the FOV and gotten a VAC ban for it since it was considered cheating.

scitek

Last year, when I upgraded my video card, Dead Space 2 made me reactivate before playing again. I thought that was normal and it just gave it back after a month or something (I don't know if it ever did). Trying to keep up with all the different forms of DRM out there is hard.

Eusis

Actually, that makes me wonder if keeping it to just ONE piece would be too easy to crack, and thus they throw in all hardware. Guess that'd make it more effective, but at some point... it's a fucking $60 game, not a $600 piece of productivity software that'll be obsolete by the time you'd need it on a fourth computer anyway. Should be either allowing more each month or depend on fewer pieces: I wouldn't be surprised if people were more likely to upgrade their graphics card than their CPU, and the HDD the OS is on would be safe enough to include for that id number hash I think.

Luigiv

This is old news. How do you guys think they identified individual machines in the first place? They check the hardware profile of course. Change one piece of hardware and bam, the profile no longer matches. SecureROM and other such systems do the exact same thing.

So remember kids, always uninstall you're limited activation games and reclaim your activations before you swap out any integral hardware components (or just avoid purchasing limited activation games altogether and send the message to publishers that you don't want them).

fresquito

I'm not really sorry for those buying Ubi games and being fucked. It's not like it's news that Ubi treat PC gamers like shit. They have what they deserve. You will not see me complaining about Ubi products.

subversus

So remember kids, always uninstall you're limited activation games and reclaim your activations before you swap out any integral hardware components (or just avoid purchasing limited activation games altogether and send the message to publishers that you don't want them).

it seems you can't do this in this case

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
What if you have more than one computer you want to install it on?

Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, that's it? Buy another copy?

It's a shame because this ain't devs fault. Heck all the AC games are really well done on pc besides the silly shadows that are probably engine problems.

Management.

YourMaster

This used to be one of the great benefits of PC gaming. Being able to play games of more then a decade old, something I still do.

In that time it's very common to have over 3 pc's.
Besides, who says this is limited to graphics cards only, what about an additional HD/SSD, or extra memory. It's very common to buy a PC, and over time buy additional components. Sometimes there's even a component that breaks.

I still have games like Dungeon Keeper, Total Annihilation, Heroes 3 and Starcraft installed. Or better yet, I've reinstalled these games several times. I've had well over 9 hardware changes since those games came out if every change counts.

Eusis

This used to be one of the great benefits of PC gaming. Being able to play games of more then a decade old, something I still do.
I think both consoles and PC have their advantages and disadvantages there. It's easier to rationalize keeping around, say, an NES to play old games than it is a computer from 1987, plus it's guaranteed to work so long as everything is functional. Of course everything NEEDS to be functional, and while there's probably a higher probability of that then for a PC of that vintage there's less you can do to fix it, just replace a battery or something at best.

But then one of the greatest advantages for PC games is how the community will fix problems with backwards compatibility, and it seems easier for these games to get re-released (and possibly without the stupid crap attached) versus console games.

Fredrik

This is just plain stupid. How are they thinking?

In a few years all Ubisofts games with this DRM will be unplayable on most of their customers PCs.

And some people wonders why piracy is rapidly increasing.

No DRM makes those that are already pirating games happy. Not good I guess. But stupid DRM like this makes those that aren't pirating games start to do it. Much worse.

Yagharek

This is just plain stupid. How are they thinking?

In a few years all Ubisofts games with this DRM will be unplayable on most of their customers PCs.

And some people wonders why piracy is rapidly increasing.

No DRM makes those that are already pirating games happy. Not good I guess. But stupid DRM like this makes those that aren't pirating games start to do it. Much worse.

Pretty much. What do ubisoft think is going to happen? A paying customer buys a game, uses up their activations after doing a hardware upgrade and all of a sudden can't play the game. Are ubisoft expecting them to go and buy it again when they find out why their game no longer works?

Ubisoft are stealing customers games, just like EA.

Eabisoft.

tborsje

Who changes their graphics card anyway?

I haven't, ever. But Anno seems to be complaining that my Riva TNT is not supported, it seems that the game isn't DirectX 6.0 compatible... :(

What if you have more than one computer you want to install it on?

Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, that's it? Buy another copy?

Filthy pirate! Buy three copies, obviously!

(This reminds me of the Bioshock DRM, where a rep from 2K told a customer they should not be allowed to share the game with their brother who was in the same household)

Mr_Zombie

Am I reading this right: you can only activate the game 3 times and then it's basically useless because there's no further activations (even as the time passes)? How is that shit even legal?

They're using the pirate excuse, it's only data. Since it cannot have physical form they decided they can do whatever they want with it.

subversus

Am I reading this right: you can only activate the game 3 times and then it's basically useless because there's no further activations (even as the time passes)? How is that shit even legal?

yeah, I somehow still doubt that there is no way to deactivate it.

zugzug

Someone goto E3 and see a important Ubi person talk to him and as people walk by say that is console player happy, second person walks by that is console player happy, by time you get to X person walking by say that is Pirate PC customer happy, by Y customer walking by point to yourself and explain how your a legitmate PC customer who bought their game and then do the quick movement action like your going to punch someone but you fake them so they flinch. Then explain that is what I would like to do to you but advocating violence is wrong. Then if that person is still standing there and not walking away or calling security on you explain why your so angry.

Mr_Zombie

Or simply download a crack, stop caring about the activation and say "fuck you too" to the publisher.

ShinNL

Or simply download a crack, stop caring about the activation and say "fuck you too" to the publisher.
People are angry because they're left with no choices (forced to buy shitty DRM or buy nothing at all). Angry because we care. Not because we pirate, because then we wouldn't have a reason to be angry. You're suggesting piracy.

Corto

I definitely am against this kind of limitations and it will personally affect me in the future as I have bought Anno 2070 and several other PC Ubisoft games. But I need to say that every time I contacted a company about an activation problem adding a proof of buy I was always granted a new activation. Never dealt with Ubisoft but I expect that they treat me the same way.

Yagharek

People are angry because they're left with no choices (forced to buy shitty DRM or buy nothing at all). Angry because we care. Not because we pirate, because then we wouldn't have a reason to be angry. You're suggesting piracy.

I'm not defending his wording of that comment, but in all seriousness, what recourse does the legitimate consumer have when the vendor steals the product they sold them?

IrishNinja

I can to some extent understand companies using DRM to try to battle day 0 piracy, but I would really like to see some kind of proof that limited activations like this has any effect whatsoever when the game has been craccked and released.

exactly.

honestly, if this happens to you and you pirate the game, i don't think anyone (even here on GAF) can fault you. they're literally keeping you from a paid experience.

this game has some online features, crack can prevent you from enjoying them.

well, shit - there goes that idea.

Mr_Zombie

I'm not suggesting piracy. I'm suggesting buying the game, downloading crack (just the crack, so you don't share the game while downloading it through p2p) and using it on a legit product. I know that this still is against the license, but somehow, in cases of such anti-customer actions, I don't think anyone should care.

I didn't know that the game has online features. So I suppose the crack is out of question then.

I still don't understand how video game companies can get away with such things. They are selling a product that practically has a time limit (because let's be serious, everyone changes their PC once in a while).
Is there at least an information about activation limit on the game's cover? Or is it something that you learn only after you've already bought the game?

SmokyDave

Rather than jumping through hoops with cracks and the like, wouldn't it be easier just to stop buying Ubi games? I sure as hell manage. I really want Trackmania 2 but sometimes, it's all about the principles. If more people remembered that, I don't think we'd be in this boat.

daviyoung

Banned
Rather than jumping through hoops with cracks and the like, wouldn't it be easier just to stop buying Ubi games? I sure as hell manage. I really want Trackmania 2 but sometimes, it's all about the principles. If more people remembered that, I don't think we'd be in this boat.

It's not fair because they've snagged some great developers. Reflections, for example, made a fantastic game under Ubisoft's umbrella and they probably wouldn't have done so without them.

Top Bottom