• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge compares PS4/XB1 games (that nasty, awful XB1 sharpening filter at work)

Goldmund

RnagXqN.jpg

Guess which one is XO.
This is tough! I can instantly tell that three of those are fully qualified for an editor position at Polygon, though.

That would require optimizations and probably concessions considering the PS4 is a good bit more powerful than XB.

It's just a terrible sharpening filter being applied to non 1080P games. There's a bug in ACIV going by the OT where it can actually disappear at times and look better. Plus games like Ryse use custom upscaling methods that ignore it. And if the comment in the OT saying BF4 doesn't use it either than it must be optional. Hopefully every developer chooses not to, or Microsoft fixes it.

Man I dont want ghosts at all but I REALLY want to play that space sequence
So find Gravity in 3d instead. Sequence in CoD lasts around 5 minutes, is quite neat though.

wizzbang

Banned
PC and PS4 have the same colors. Xbox One adds sharpness and contrast to output video. To have the same colors in PC/PS4 just modify sharpness and contrast from your monitor/TV options.

Isn't this shot taken from the framebuffer or whatever the term is? Both the images represent what's sent to my TV? One looks more washed out than the other.

The AC4 shot is interesting, look at the tree which has it's leaves obscurring the water near the boat, somehow the PS4 shot actually looks more jagged there than the Xbox One, I don't know OR CARE what the filter is being used for that bit but honestly it looks better to me as do the overall colours of the shot.

Mind you I care more about the overall detail of an image, not the resolution or the frame rate.

wizzbang

Banned
At this point I could probably post a black screen and someone will say it looks better.

It's personal preference, there's no science to this. One has nicer colours, the other one has an obviously sharper image. Depends on what people care about, how far they sit from the TV, the quality of the TV - all kinds of shit.

Does this mean the Xbox would be WORSE at a higher res? Fuck no, of course not.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Mind you I care more about the overall detail of an image, not the resolution or the frame rate.

Um, resolution makes up the detail. The Xbone filter obscures details via crushing any blacks/shadows in addition to less picture information.

It's personal preference, there's no science to this. One has nicer colours, the other one has an obviously sharper image. Depends on what people care about, how far they sit from the TV, the quality of the TV - all kinds of shit.

Does this mean the Xbox would be WORSE at a higher res? Fuck no, of course not.

I'm sorry but I would never ever want any game to look like that just to meet the preferences of people who seem to like what's going on in those xb1 screens.

wizzbang

Banned
Um, resolution makes up the detail. The Xbone filter obscures details via crushing any blacks/shadows in addition to less picture information.

Maybe I used the wrong term, I saw someone using that term today and decided to copy it.
I care most importantly about level detail, world detail, shaders, smoke, particles, I care about the overall image, I couldnt' give a shit if it's sub 1080p not in the least.

I just re-finished KZ 2 and 3 and both of those games look fucking tip top to me, still - pretty good world detail, admitedly a bit bland on the colour palette but the levels are fleshed out. Flat floors, flat walls but ultra crisp at 1080p? 4k? Couldn't possibly care less.

I'm sorry but I would never ever want any game to look like that just to meet the preferences of people who seem to like what's going on in those xb1 screens.

I honestly don't even know what "that" is? Are you referring to the lower resolution? Please tell me you're not because I just specifically said it would look better with more resolution.

call of duty just looks bad imho :/

did we ever get a confirmed AC4 resolution from the devs (I know that the XO boxes don't say what res it is )

Man, that Forza 4/Forza 5 comparison wipe on the article is a real eye opener. Forza 4 actually seems to look better than it's sequel in a lot of ways. How does that even happen?

Both look like complete dog shit. It just so happens that the dog shit of the Xbox One had flies leave some maggots behind.

The PS4 version doesn't look washed out at all. It's just sunny. I've seen washed out games.

The XBO version looks like a dark cloud just passed over the sun.

Man, that Forza 4/Forza 5 comparison wipe on the article is a real eye opener. Forza 4 actually seems to look better than it's sequel in a lot of ways. How does that even happen?

It doesn't look better in a single way. What are you smoking?

Edit: I will give you there's a bit more aliasing on the wire of the tower as there's more detail.

Played a fair amount of both games on XBone. I definitely noticed the sharpening while playing COD, the game looks like ass overall, but I haven't noticed over-sharpening in AC4, I think the game looks fantastic and runs great, looks impressive.

IGN put up a comparison video of AC4 among Xbone and PS4 and they were virtually identical. Not sure I trust all the sources putting out this info. I believe there is a sharpening filter at work, but I don't think it has such a dramatic effect as some of these screenshots would have one believe.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's just a terrible sharpening filter being applied to non 1080P games. There's a bug in ACIV going by the OT where it can actually disappear at times and look better. Plus games like Ryse use custom upscaling methods that ignore it. And if the comment in the OT saying BF4 doesn't use it either than it must be optional. Hopefully every developer chooses not to, or Microsoft fixes it.

They could just forego the filter then but in terms of performance is what I was answering with.

Maybe I used the wrong term, I saw someone using that term today and decided to copy it.
I care most importantly about level detail, world detail, shaders, smoke, particles, I care about the overall image, I couldnt' give a shit if it's sub 1080p not in the least.

I just re-finished KZ 2 and 3 and both of those games look fucking tip top to me, still - pretty good world detail, admitedly a bit bland on the colour palette but the levels are fleshed out. Flat floors, flat walls but ultra crisp at 1080p? 4k? Couldn't possibly care less.

Okay, what about tons of detail at 1080p?

Because that's totally possible on PS4 and PC games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
OK, so here's an example of what the sharpening filter is doing to XB1 games. Both images below are of Battlefield 4 on XB1, upscaled to 1080p from 720p:

Preview/beta build with sharpening and contrast filter said:

Final retail version without the filter said:

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Xbox One shots just pop!

Played a fair amount of both games on XBone. I definitely noticed the sharpening while playing COD, the game looks like ass overall, but I haven't noticed over-sharpening in AC4, I think the game looks fantastic and runs great, looks impressive.

IGN put up a comparison video of AC4 among Xbone and PS4 and they were virtually identical. Not sure I trust all the sources putting out this info. I believe there is a sharpening filter at work, but I don't think it has such a dramatic effect as some of these screenshots would have one believe.

They're not identical. IGN's comparisons are garbage and their player does not have the bitrate to show the differences. We've seen this sharpening effect on AC4 in the past.

wizzbang

Banned
Okay, what about tons of detail at 1080p?

Because that's totally possible on PS4 and PC games.

Depends on the detail :) I REALLY like my levels detailed, resolution does almost nothing for me.
If that means 900p even on PS4 but even better shaders, even more polygons, better quality textures? ............

I'd love resolution, I'd love 4k but honestly, to me world detail is THE most important thing by far.

Ceebs

It would be like if games were made for people who turn their TVs to the vivid presets where people are orange and grass looks like neon astroturf.

Depends on the detail :) I REALLY like my levels detailed, resolution does almost nothing for me.
If that means 900p even on PS4 but even better shaders, even more polygons, better quality textures? ............

I'd love resolution, I'd love 4k but honestly, to me world detail is THE most important thing by far.

When you upscale an image you lose detail.

Chobel

Isn't this shot taken from the framebuffer or whatever the term is? Both the images represent what's sent to my TV? One looks more washed out than the other.

No, the Xbox one apply the filters to the output video before sending it to TV. PS4 sends the buffer directly, Xbox One does these filters to the buffer to hide the upscaling.
The AC4 shot is interesting, look at the tree which has it's leaves obscurring the water near the boat, somehow the PS4 shot actually looks more jagged there than the Xbox One, I don't know OR CARE what the filter is being used for that bit but honestly it looks better to me as do the overall colours of the shot.

You can do all that from your TV. If anything PS4 should have more details.

Just increase sharpness and contrast from your TV, and you'll have exactly what Xbox One is doing.

DBT85

It looks washed out in comparison to an image which has had the contrast turned up. Take two identical images, turn the contrast up on one, and the other will look washed out in comparison. That doesn't make the one with extra contrast better.

Ryse has a custom solution and BF4 doesn't use it. Hopefully every developer gets in touch with Microsoft and follows the latter's example

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Well you said you liked the Xbone AC4 shot better even if it had less detail (colors are inaccurate, resolution is lower, and it has ringing around the edges). AC4 has the same assets so I don't know why you're going on about LOD, particle effects, etc.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Just fuck with your TVs sharpening and contrast until games look the way you feel pop.

wizzbang

Banned
OK, so here's an example of what the sharpening filter is doing to XB1 games. Both images below are of Battlefield 4 on XB1, upscaled to 1080p from 720p:

I can't deny the jaggies are definitely more obvious in the first, darker shot - but the colours / contrast are (yet again) nicer.
Actually switching back and forth between the 2 shots and looking at the whole damn image, rather than focusing on a good jaggie point? Nope prefer the darker shot (First one)
Can see a bit more detail in a few things too.

or wait, am I agreeing with you and you are saying the first one is better?

Just fuck with your TVs sharpening and contrast until games look the way you feel pop.

I don't get it.

If you're looking for comparisons for any reason, don't look at IGN. Their video player is truly awful, not to mention incapable of showing things like 1080p, and their tech department is dumb enough to accidentally put up videos at the same resolution and proceed to make resolution comparisons anyway. Honestly, you've got to go somewhere else to develop an informed opinion on it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can't deny the jaggies are definitely more obvious in the first, darker shot - but the colours / contrast are (yet again) nicer.
Actually switching back and forth between the 2 shots and looking at the whole damn image, rather than focusing on a good jaggie point? Nope prefer the darker shot (First one)

or wait, am I agreeing with you and you are saying the first one is better?

I'm saying the final retail version looks way better than the first image of the beta version.

You are not seeing more detail. You are seeing existing details being highlighted by a sharpening filter, and surrounding details being destroyed in the process.

Top Bottom