• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV 4K (& A11) GPU perf more than docked Switch/PS3/360

wachie

AMD Employee (formerly Beyond3D editor). Also check follow up tweet from Ryan Shrout (PC Per)

hkKhRau.jpg

https://twitter.com/ryszu/status/907700179486298112

Kind of expected IMO but still some may find this new. The A11 especially seems a monster in the palm of your hand.

Hexa

Did they get rid of the requirement that all games have to be playable with the Siri remote? Get rid of that requirement and release an official controller along with a dock/controller case and I think that Apple could have a reasonable chance of entering the console industry on the side.

rolandss

The AR demo at the iPhone (and iPad Pro a couple months ago) reveals looked really impressive. Mobile power is coming a long way. But tbh, the PS3 and 360 are over 10 years old so I'm no surprised either.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Shame it has to deal with an apple os and apis.

Overhead and bloat plus no one being there to push that power is why this news don't mean much to me.

BigEmil

To be fair, iPhone 7/AppleTV/iPad Pro trounces the PS4 and XBO in CPU performance (but even the 8/X falls short in GPU).
Better be because the chips in those is made before 2013

Shame it has to deal with an apple os and apis.

Overhead and bloat plus no one being there to push that power is why this news don't mean much to me.
What? The OS affects nothing and the Metal API is similar to Vulkan API so hardly any overhead and 'bloat'

Not this shit again

Oh, like you can say we're wrong. Mobile/"smart device" gaming is a mountain of shit with a bunch of gems buried in it - the entire ecosystem is fucked beyond repair.

I'm honestly surprised they did change that, but let's be honest, what effect has that actually had when it comes to devs developing for it? Apple TV is not gonna be anything more than a niche device as far as gaming is concerned.

I'm sure there will continue to be the occasional good game for the platform but until they get serious and make an official controller it still won't mean anything.

The Apple TV's App Store, gaming and otherwise, has been a tremendous letdown so far.

LCGeek

formerly sane
What? The OS affects nothing and the Metal API is similar to Vulkan API so hardly any overhead and 'bloat'

An OS matters for plenty of reasons, and the bloat I was referring to is in that not the API.

Of the the the big 4 OS being used by consoles or by pc gamers apple is the worst and yes the bloat does matter if it eat's the performance of otherwise good hardware. Has the weakest cpu scheduler as well.

That's a far cry from nothing.

Severianb

Fake News.

The thermal limits and real world performance of this can't match any of those game consoles. The chip just isn't made for gaming.

Top Bottom