• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroshiki

Lifeline_Coverart.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCDDvd4OIA

Another female character made by SCE.

Video is hilarious.

Something tells me that won't necessarily be much of an accomplishment

Twisted Metal was the 11th best selling game in the US this quarter. Not too shabby, imo. Sold over 300K in the US.

I think this game will do a lot better. Obviously nowhere near smash levels, but perhaps a few million world wide and at least 500k in the US.

This game, and LittleBigPlanet Karting, could definitely be the right titles to coincide with a $199 PS3.

Darknight

This game is making me want to play Parappa the Rappa so bad! I don't have a ps1/ps2 copy but id buy the PSN PSP copy. The only thing stopping me is the ridiculous $23 price. Cmon Sony, drop the PSP game prices. Compatible with Vita too!! Arg!!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Lifeline_Coverart.png

Another female character made by SCE.

Video is hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I think Sayaka can be a PSeye only character and players control her with voice commands or something.

but poor Sayaka don't have a chance in hell here,there are already just too much of PlayStation first party girls (seriously ,just read the female rosters in the past pages it's insane that SCE have so much female characters) and they have the priority to be in this game.

ReaperXL7

Made a few tweaks to my list some of these probably stand no chance of showing up, but i'd love to be proven wrong, I do atleast wish we knew what the final count was for the roster, then it might be easier to narrow how many to expect, and then make more realistic guesses. Also the characters already announced are not listed, because we know they are in.

Battle Royal Roster wishlist:

Abe (Abe's Odyessy, Abe's Exodus)

Doll Face (twisted Metal) really they could add pretty much anyone from TM

Sackboy, with a Sackgirl alternate skin (LittleBig Planet)

Lammy (Um-Jammer Lammy)

Daniel Fortesque (Medievil)

Jack (Jack and Daxter)

Daxter (Jack and Daxter)

Rachet (Rachet and Clank)

Clank (Ratchet and Clank)

Angela Cross (Ratchet and Clank)

Dart (Legend of Dragoon)

Rose (Legend of Dragoon)

Maximo (Maximo vs the Army of Zin)

Drake (Uncharted)

Elena (Uncharted)

Sev (Killzone)

Dante (Devil May Cry)

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

Meryl (Metal Gear Solid)

Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid)

Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)

Jill Valintine (Resident Evil)

Berry Burton *Preferred* (Resident Evil)

Brad Vickers (Resident Evil)

Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)

Aerith, or Tifa (Final Fantasy VII)

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

Wanderer (Shadow of The Colossus)

A Colossus (Shadow of The Colossus)

Fei Fong Wong (Xeno Gears)

Kazuma Kiyru (Yakuza)

9-Ball (Armored Core)

Alundra (Alundra)

Nomad (Journey)

Kazua Mishima, (Tekken)

Eiji Shinjo (Battle Arena Toshinden)

Robbit (Jumping flash)

Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)

Specter (Ape Escape)

Klonoa ( Klonoa Door to Phatomile)

Alucard (Symphony of the Night)

Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)

Levant (Jade Cocoon)

Kain (Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen)

Suezo (Monster Rancher)

David Ortiz (MLB the Show, first cover athlete)

With the exception of a few just crazy ones like Jade Cocoon, or Monster Rancher characters, I think much of my list is reasonable, if they make Abe playable though this game will be a day one no matter what.

For some stage mashups they could have a space stage that combines Killzone and Colony Wars, they could have a GT/ Whipeout cross over stage, or for a singular stage they could have a stage for Uncharted 2 where your in building that is periodically collapsing around you.

I was thinking that if they have stages for third party characters then I would think those stages might not get mashups, although I guess it would be possible to mash sequels together. An example would be mashing FFVII/FFVIII/and FFIX, but I doubt S-E would allow something like that, but it's also advertising their games aswell so it would be a silly thing to fight really.

Globox_82

Banned
Twisted Metal was the 11th best selling game in the US this quarter. Not too shabby, imo. Sold over 300K in the US.

I think this game will do a lot better. Obviously nowhere near smash levels, but perhaps a few million world wide and at least 500k in the US.

This game, and LittleBigPlanet Karting, could definitely be the right titles to coincide with a $199 PS3.

Problem with tm is that it only sells in usa

Darknight

We should talk about the stages as well. That's another interesting aspect of this game. The "mash ups" is an interesting concept and a way to differentiate from SSB or other games like it.

What I think we might see:

-Gran Turismo x Ridge Racer or Wipeout x Motorstorm (think SNK v Capcom derby stage)
-War of the Monsters x Killzone (Monster fighting in bg with ISA transports on the air)
-Sly Cooper Paris x Lemmings?
-Uncharted train/ UC3 sand ending stage x Infamous
-MGS level x Ape Escape MGS monkeys
-Tomb Raider Jungle x uncharted (lol)
-RE Mansion x Onimusha Temple

Stages at this point are up their with character reveals. We may get some nice surprises!

Drake (Uncharted)

Elena (Uncharted)

Sev (Killzone)

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Meryl (Metal Gear Solid)

Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)

Jill Valintine (Resident Evil)

Berry Burton *Preferred* (Resident Evil)

Brad Vickers (Resident Evil)

Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)
Some good characters named, but with these I have to ask. Really?

Everyone mentioned there will basically play the same. There is little in the way that you can find something distinctive, as they're all regular human gun wielders

I think being able to offer a unique play style should be the first pre-requisite to this sort of game

At most you want about 2 characters that fit into this type of gun wielder character. And you could argue that the Killzone character already takes up a space there.

Drake could possibly supplement his guns with his unwieldy fighting style. But the rest really don't offer much at all.

Many of you are going to be woefully disappointed with the onslaught of 3rd party characters you expect to see in this game. I'm seeing everything from random anime RPG characters to shit like Sora from Kingdom Hearts. It ain't gunna happen, this isn't MUGEN...

lots of good ideas for characters but they have to save some for the sequel!

if they wanted to go super obscure they could do some of the monsters or something from disruptor, which was a pretty cool psone FPS

SmithnCo

I want to see Um Jammer Lammy in this game. She can use her guitar as a weapon.

umjammer.jpg

One of the few "secondary" characters I want to see, and even she had her own game, so she's not as "secondary" as say, Elena.

Overall I think a lot of series can be well represented with one character, like Uncharted with Drake. Unless they want to go down the clone route I don't see how Elena or a lot of other TPS and FPS characters could be distinguished enough from the main reps.

ReaperXL7

Some good characters named, but with these I have to ask. Really?

Everyone mentioned there will basically play the same. There is little in the way that you can find something distinctive, as they're all regular human gun wielders

I think being able to offer a unique play style should be the first pre-requisite to this sort of game

At most you want about 2 characters that fit into this type of gun wielder character. And you could argue that the Killzone character already takes up a space there.

Drake could possibly supplement his guns with his unwieldy fighting style. But the rest really don't offer much at all.

I understand where you are coming from, I'll be honest in saying that some of the characters I named would play very similarly, however I named most of the characters based on their ties to games that helped make playstation what it is.

Also with characters like Elena, Meryl, and Lara I named because I do think Sony should push for some females (despite my not ususally playing them) and I think those three especially would make many think of playstation.

I don't personally like gun/Sci Fi characters most of the time as i'm more of a Sword and Scorcery person, but Sony does have alot of characters tied to them that use guns. I think Ratchet, and Jak can get away with this alittl easier, because they atleast carry some pretty unique weaponry.

Many of you are going to be woefully disappointed with the onslaught of 3rd party characters you expect to see in this game. I'm seeing everything from random anime RPG characters to shit like Sora from Kingdom Hearts. It ain't gunna happen, this isn't MUGEN...

I won't be disappointed, because while i'm hoping for some characters, there are some that despite my wanting them I know are not going to happen. I know a colossus won't be playable (probably a stage, or a boss), I know that Fei Fong Wong from XenoGears won't make it(not well known enough, and FF is more important that Gears), and stuff like Jade Cocoon, and Monster rancher are maybe alittle "too" niche, but reasons I loved playstation.

However if Sony is actively pushing for third party support for this, I don't see why characters from Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Alucard from Symphony, Abe, or Resident Evil characters would be out of the question. It really depends on how much Sony is willing to push for some of these to make the game successful, having an HD Cloud (and possibly more FF as DLC), plus active Final Fantasy arena in the game would do great things for it I think.

also, am I the only one who truly wants a Wipeout 2025 game? made by the same devs of course.

I think it would actually be cool if they were to create a game that went through all of the years. Basically a game that went through all of the racing classes shown in that video leading up to the current year for the event. It would obviously take a lot of resources to do it, but I think that would be an interesting way of trying to revive the series popularity.

Really not sure if I will like the super kill system after watching the GT videos. I think they should just copy smash or have super kill-only as one of the modes with other modes being closer to Smash.

People got their fill from the beta, the game was too over-exposed and I dont think that will do them any favours come release day.

haha sony and their PSN games just cant win sometimes...

no demo released, they get slammed and sales tank

they release a beta and they've given away too much of the actual game, and sale tank

sony is damned if they do, damned if they dont, apparently

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I really think Sony better focus on their first party characters (there are tons of them..just see the first party wish rosters) with very few third party PSX iconic guys like Crash,Spyro ,Cloud and Snake and that it.

I'm upset that Qwark isn't going to be a character. You see him in the back of the one stage, so that kinda rules him out, which is a shame cause he is one of the best characters. I guess they can still use Nefarious though.

Do we know how many characters per franchise we can expect? I mean this does fall into the number of characters, but still. I'm also curious to see if they will keep Ratchet/Clank and Jax/Daxter together, or each as their own characters.

I would figure depending on the franchise, at least two different characters. So R&C could be ratchet/clank as one, Nefarious as another. J&D would have Jak and Daxter as one, and...some metal head as the villain? Haven't played in awhile, don't who would make a good second character. Sly Cooper could be Sly as one, maybe Carmelita as another? (Add to the list of female characters I suppose). Kratos is a one man show, and I guess the same for Radec and Drake (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not well versed in those two franchises).

It'll be interesting to see who they pick, that's for sure.

my guess is just 1 character per series. the paul gate initial rumor it said they already planned for 24 characters with some additional 3rd party, and that may have increased but I doubt it'll be anything to drastic. probably 30/35 at the most.

Jak n Daxter, and Ratchet n Clank will probably each be 1 character, they can expand it in the sequel, right now the focus should be getting as many different ip as they could in here.

ReaperXL7

We should talk about the stages as well. That's another interesting aspect of this game. The "mash ups" is an interesting concept and a way to differentiate from SSB or other games like it.

What I think we might see:

-Gran Turismo x Ridge Racer or Wipeout x Motorstorm (think SNK v Capcom derby stage)
-War of the Monsters x Killzone (Monster fighting in bg with ISA transports on the air)
-Sly Cooper Paris x Lemmings?
-Uncharted train/ UC3 sand ending stage x Infamous
-MGS level x Ape Escape MGS monkeys
-Tomb Raider Jungle x uncharted (lol)
-RE Mansion x Onimusha Temple

Stages at this point are up their with character reveals. We may get some nice surprises!

There are alot of possibilities for these mash up stages I think, However as I said above I don't know if we will get third party mashups for a variety of reasons, although it's probably possible.

For instance if you have Final Fantasy, I don't know if SE would want an FF stage mashed up with another franchise, so we "might" get something like Shinra Tower, or the Forgotten City where "The" big event happens.

For Metal Gear I think we will probably get Shadow Moses if we get a Metal Gear stage, or Resident Evil would probably be the manshion. It's going to be interesting where third parties will let Sony go with some of this stuff, and what franchies they let them use, though in a game like this is basically advertising for them I would think.

First party stages they could go all kinds of stuff though, they could have Zone mode in a wipeout stage where the arena turns neon while your fighting, They could do a Colony Wars/ Warhawk(or Starhawk) stage where your fighting in space, and ships are flying bye destroying stuff.

They could do a God of War/ Shadow of the colossus arena where your jumping between a Colossus, and a Titian, or even have them duking it out in the background. Uncharted/Tomb Raider is a good one, plus pretty funny due to the compairsons. Hell they could even do a level based around Intelligence cube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZM9kTGFeko .

Really looking forward to seeing more of the game, just trying to keep my expectations as low as possible for now, atleast until we start getting more information on what franchies are involved in this.

I like Raziel aswell, but Kain is superior to him in just about every way possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlRbulSQDQU

The Lamp

To be fair, if any SE characters make it in, Sora is extremely likely considering Kingdom Hearts is huge and his debut was on PS2.

Tiamant

I can see Aya Brea and Lara Croft being able to make the cut and fill the iconic-female-distinctive gameplay hole.

Aya has a lot of crazy magic shit so her moveset would be quite different from the rest, and Lara could be this kind of acrobatic gunner (her super 3 consists in luring you into a big refrigerator and then locking you for good :3)

The Lamp

I'm not amazing at Photoshop or anything, but I messed around a little with a posted screen of the Jak and Daxter stage (which I think looks a little too muddy and drab). It kinda reaffirms to me that the game could use a bit more "pop" with color and contrast in situations like this so that it makes the locations and characters look more vibrant and less gritty. I dunno. If you hate it, that's fine, I was just messing with it lol. But it just got me thinking.
Original:
art_20120426_163056akue2.jpg

Mine:
dgIVe.jpg

SmithnCo

It could use more color, I think there might also be some kind of filter that is blurring it a little? I dunno, it seems like the game could look sharper.

Luigiv

I'm not amazing at Photoshop or anything, but I messed around a little with a posted screen of the Jak and Daxter stage (which I think looks a little too muddy and drab). It kinda reaffirms to me that the game could use a bit more "pop" with color and contrast in situations like this so that it makes the locations and characters look more vibrant and less gritty. I dunno. If you hate it, that's fine, I was just messing with it lol. But it just got me thinking.

Not the best photoshop to get you're point across (you've taken things too far in the other direction and the extra saturation destroys the alpha effects) but yeah pretty much everyone on this board agrees, the colour pallet shouldn't be desaturated like that.

Ran rp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom