• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I didn't previously have wifi issues but now I'm getting dropped connections. It sucks.

Safari is brilliant.

It's fast, sexy and works with all apps by default. Every other browser I've seen looks like absolute shit and they're not native so pretty useless to me.

I agree with this. I don't know what I should be expecting from a browser that Safari doesn't offer.

Heel

Anyone looking for a deal on a sleeve: Verizon Deluxe Leather Tablet Sleeve With Front Pocket for $2.99 shipped.

I picked this up when they had a 2 pack for the same price (???). Great fit even with a smart cover on.

7oyCf.jpg

CzarTim

Hey guys, I'm in love with the voice typing on the iPad and was wondering if there were any PC versions just as accurate? Some I've tried in the past were awful.

Vyer

hmm, there's a little speck of something behind the glass. It's pretty minor, but I can't help but find my eyes are getting drawn to it every time I turn the thing on. lol

don't know if it's worth it to go to the apple store, or if they'll exchange for that.

Is it too late to do model exchanges, I wonder? I wanted to swap out for the Verizon model anyway....

Well, they swapped it, but it seems Verizon is slower here than AT&T. Lol. That's what I get for listening to gaf.

Anyone looking for a deal on a sleeve: Verizon Deluxe Leather Tablet Sleeve With Front Pocket for $2.99 shipped.

I picked this up when they had a 2 pack for the same price (???). Great fit even with a smart cover on.

Thanks for the heads up. For $3 I can roll with this. Might be useful for when I want to put my iPad in a bag or something for travel. Other than that, all I need is my smart cover.

Same here. I need my synced Reading List!

Seriously. I love the browser. Reading lists are awesome. I've never, not once, thought i should be using anything else.

galvatron

I started using Dolphin HD, which oddly handles my app store links properly whereas safari brings me to the app store, but doesn't actually go to the listing for the app that I was viewing. It also has a full screen mode which hides the top bar and customizable gestures which can be assigned to things like back, home, and end. If it weren't for the neogaf "Show Spoiler" bookmark, I might not need Safari...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For the next iPad Apple needs to think of a way to allow us to use it without getting the screen all dirty every time. Control pad maybe on the sides? There's a lot of wasted space there on the bezel that you could do some cool stuff with -- maybe even replace the touchscreen.

RedAssedApe

Banned
For the next iPad Apple needs to think of a way to allow us to use it without getting the screen all dirty every time. Control pad maybe on the sides? There's a lot of wasted space there on the bezel that you could do some cool stuff with -- maybe even replace the touchscreen.

Get a smartcover. :)

Tobor

Dude, just get a microfiber cloth or a smart cover. A second of maintenance every now and then doesn't warrant a redesign.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No I was referring to the broken concept of touching the very same screen you're looking at -- and thinking about alternatives.

(I do carry around a cloth btw.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is gonna sound gross and it makes me feel gross for even admitting it but I notice dandruff flakes on the screen more than finger grease. Not a lot, mind you. But I've never noticed it until I got an iPad.

Heel

This is gonna sound gross and it makes me feel gross for even admitting it but I notice dandruff flakes on the screen more than finger grease. Not a lot, mind you. But I've never noticed it until I got an iPad.

The iPad is also a device that checks if you're a candidate for Head & Shoulders. What can't this thing do?!

A numbered keyboard around the bezel and a joystick in the middle of the screen like the old blackberries would make this the perfect device. Might even capture the gaming crowd.

you should thank Apple for helping you notice your issue

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Im a hippie and wash my hair with peppermint castile soap.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I finally caved and bought a 64gb wifi model after staring at them while working forever. My first ios device thats not the standard old ipod. Lets see how quickly I can fill this sucker up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah! Customizing twitter tags and save to camera are great additions. Also, tweetbot syncing.. Good week for updates.

Teddman

I've tried most of the apps and ComicGlass is the best I've used, and (barring updates to other programs changing things) has the best 2-page displaying I've seen. Bookman does some stuff well, too (I really liked FTP access for file transfers as it's faster than any other method I've seen). Zeal is mediocre unless you're on a phone, in which case its interface starts to matter more.

I haven't tried Smash (it looks new), although the file transfer options appear pretty featured. If someone has it I'd love to see opinions and a description of how the wifi file transfer works.
ComicGlass is still the best.

Smash is basically a good alternative option because the auto-zoom feature is so cool. It works well with certain styles of comics and is the next best thing to a panel view. Smash was recently updated and no longer broken on iPad 3, btw.

As for Smash's file transfer, it doesn't automatically mount your computer, it gives you a url to enter in a web browser on the computer, and then a webapp comes up where you can select files to transfer to the app. I have to say that it didn't work when I tried it. I don't store comics on DropBox or use iTunes to transfer files, so I can't comment on those options.

Anyway, I say just get FileBrowser or FilesConnect app and hand off the comics to your comic app of choice, using the 'Open In' function. It's basically as fast as a native file add option in the reader itself.

MasLegio

Banned
No I was referring to the broken concept of touching the very same screen you're looking at -- and thinking about alternatives.

(I do carry around a cloth btw.)

Maybe you should consider getting a laptop instead?
Touching the screen IS the concept.
Also adding shit to the side bezels will ruin the feel of the ipad and make it look like chap shit.

Just bought tweetbot for the iphone due to cloudsync, excellent.

Heel

Maybe you should consider getting a laptop instead?
Touching the screen IS the concept.
Also adding shit to the side bezels will ruin the feel of the ipad and make it look like chap shit.

You just know Apple is going to make their laptops touch capable sooner or later. I don't see what would be so cheap about a touch capable bezel though. They would just have to have it know the difference between holding and touching/gestures.

ElyrionX

So I'm currently using Air Video for the iPad right now and I'm finding the quality of videos played using Live Conversion to be sub-optimal. Will converting the video on my PC before playing it improve the quality when played on the iPad vs. Live Conversion? Also, I notice that Air Video's converter takes about 20 mins to convert a 1.5 gig MKV file. Is there a faster converter out there?

EDIT: Ok, my conversion just got done and I tested it. The converted file I played had a noticeably better image quality than the one played using Live Conversion. With that said, is there a quicker or better converter program out there? 20 mins is kind of long to wait for one file to be converted.

mojiimbo

Are you on Mac or Windows? What kind of processor do you have?

The video is probably fine but to be natively supported iPad audio has to be like 2 channel AAC iirc so you just need a program that will convert the audio and sync it back up. I read on the Air Video forums that they were working on adding that but until then you might want to try this app. It's rough around the edges but it's worked fine for me except for the subtitle feature and the slight nuisance that it doesn't warn you when it's finished.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvavi2mp4/

Yaska

Dude, just get a microfiber cloth or a smart cover. A second of maintenance every now and then doesn't warrant a redesign.

smartcovers are all noce but so damn hard to install correctly. if you have a good eyesight you keep noticing dustflakes or microbubbles, for me it annoys the hell out. Personally I use microfiber to clean my ipad now and then.

japtor

So I'm currently using Air Video for the iPad right now and I'm finding the quality of videos played using Live Conversion to be sub-optimal. Will converting the video on my PC before playing it improve the quality when played on the iPad vs. Live Conversion? Also, I notice that Air Video's converter takes about 20 mins to convert a 1.5 gig MKV file. Is there a faster converter out there?

EDIT: Ok, my conversion just got done and I tested it. The converted file I played had a noticeably better image quality than the one played using Live Conversion. With that said, is there a quicker or better converter program out there? 20 mins is kind of long to wait for one file to be converted.
Air Video has a live conversion bitrate setting in the app I think, try enabling the higher bitrates.

Top Bottom