• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS XBOX: Early Access Thread

chechi

Can't comment on the standard Xbox but it's not great looking on the X still it plays very good, and it's no looker on my PC either

Ok - thx! Idn people say that a lot... but I'm "digging" the graphics somehow - reminds me of Day-Z and I dont mean the gameplay (which is obviously almost 1:1 the anyways) I have to check if its based on the Arma-Engine as well...

Update: UE4 of course, I forgot about the whole Fortnite fiasco!

Pozer

Neo Member
Coming from hundred-hours-on-PC, I'm really surprised how rough the state of this port is. If I had not known better I would guess it had been ported a week ago. Its unreal to me this is running on a 6TF GPU. The performance feels like a late 90s software rendered game. It has whole new level of fear that the PC version ever had. Where you hope you don't run into anyone because your not sure how your gonna fight anyone. The PC game has issues with latency and commands not registering, like closing doors etc. But on Xbox we have that problem compounded by short and long press buttons, not registering. I think they were so desperate for a killer app they pushed this. It really needs about 6 months more in the oven and maybe a fall launch. On a side note it didnt take long for Xbox One to claim its first OneX gimp victim.

Calibos

It's pubg so you can't really go wrong. People can choose to bitch about all that's wrong with it, or enjoy whats good. I enjoy what's good and look forward to the future patches and improvements.

So much this. It is rough around the edges, but the experience is there.

The game was a shitshow on PC (fps wise) for months, expect nothing diferent on xbox (early access).

Fortnite was rough too at launch...people don't seem to understand the "early access game preview" thing at all. It will improve rapidly.

Yeah this is really, really rough. I'm honestly shocked Microsoft are giving it such promotion knowing it's in this state. The framerate is constantly all over the place, and plummets during close-mid range firefights causing serious input lag. It's just not fun to play in this state. Many won't understand what's going on, but they will feel it when it happens - I've already noticed many blaming a lack of aim assist but that's only a small factor, the input latency is the real issue here. Plenty of shooters have had no aim assist and still been fine.

30 is a shame for a game like this but I'm fine with it if it's mostly locked - dips during spawn island etc are all fine. But when you're dipping constantly and fluctuating all over the place below 30 during key moments it just ends up being a mess. Firefights become laughable as people spray all over the place and empty clips missing most their shots.

Sidenote - the inventory management is reallllyyy bad too, but I'm not actually sure the best way to handle that using a gamepad.

...again..."early access/game preview". I agree its rough, especially on the OG Xbox One with those low LOD buildings popping in and the framerate drops, but it will improve...the developer has been pretty great about constantly updatng and optimizing the game so...

I'm having a blast with this game! The intro spawn area + parachute drop sequence sure runs like garbage, but once you're on ground it's fine. I just hope they keep optimizing it, to make it run smoother.

Hell yes, me too...I played some on PC and was into it...It is great to now be playing where I am more comfortable...looking forward to this improving over the next couple months.

Calibos

Coming from hundred-hours-on-PC, I'm really surprised how rough the state of this port is. If I had not known better I would guess it had been ported a week ago. Its unreal to me this is running on a 6TF GPU. The performance feels like a late 90s software rendered game. It has whole new level of fear that the PC version ever had. Where you hope you don't run into anyone because your not sure how your gonna fight anyone. The PC game has issues with latency and commands not registering, like closing doors etc. But on Xbox we have that problem compounded by short and long press buttons, not registering. I think they were so desperate for a killer app they pushed this. It really needs about 6 months more in the oven and maybe a fall launch. On a side note it didnt take long for Xbox One to claim its first OneX gimp victim.

The game launched on Steam early access in March.

A console port was in the works in May.

E3 we found out that it was for Xbox

Recently, we found out that the Xbox development was significantly behind the PC

It launched today for Xbox, less than 7 months later...

Give it some time, just as it has been given time to develop on PC...I am confident that we will be getting rapid improvements because the community is so engaged in the game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Game needs much more polish.

Even playing on the X frame drops are pretty bad and never know how gun fights are going to run.

Game was rushed way too much by MS to get it out by Christmas maybe with a few patches it might get there but even with how its runs on PCs not getting my hopes up.

Really hope they get this right down the road.

Night.Ninja

Banned

You need to get off your high horse

Calibos

Polygon did a nice write up and mimics how I feel about the game...warts and all.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/12/16766880/pubg-xbox-one-port-preview-first-impressions

Let the DF thread focus on the negative as always(which is glossing over the fact that the game runs PC med-high settings at native 4k)

...anyone want to actually talk about the game in a constructive way? I seriously enjoyed my 6 matches was able to get in this morning. The tension is amazing and playing with a team or duo with mics was great.

I thought the controls, while they took a little getting used to as far as inventory, were mostly spot on for the game. The vaulting that was only recently dded seemed to be working for the most par too...I did need to crank up all of the sensitivities though. It felt like the aiming was a bit sluggish. First person mode was OK, but a bit more difficult right now because of the frame rate. 3rd person seems more forgiving in that regard.

The sound seemed like it was working well... I had several instances where I discovered someone by their footsteps both inside and outside houses.

Anyhow, if MS and Bluehole(PubG Corp?) can continue to iterate and optimize, this really could be something special for MS to have as an exclusive.

Onikaan

The game is fun, no doubt.

I can get past all the jank because I played DayZ standalone for many months and if you can play DayZ you can play this. I have only one issue right now and that's the crashing. I've crashed to dash 3 out of 6 games. Now, I know, it's early access so I'm giving it some room but when you drop £25 to preview a game I expect it to be at least partially stable and losing your hard earned investment 50% of the time due to the game bottoming out isn't fun.

Hope there's a flurry of updates soon.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Polygon did a nice write up and mimics how I feel about the game...warts and all.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/12/16766880/pubg-xbox-one-port-preview-first-impressions

Let the DF thread focus on the negative as always(which is glossing over the fact that the game runs PC med-high settings at native 4k)

...anyone want to actually talk about the game in a constructive way? I seriously enjoyed my 6 matches was able to get in this morning. The tension is amazing and playing with a team or duo with mics was great.

I thought the controls, while they took a little getting used to as far as inventory, were mostly spot on for the game. The vaulting that was only recently dded seemed to be working for the most par too...I did need to crank up all of the sensitivities though. It felt like the aiming was a bit sluggish. First person mode was OK, but a bit more difficult right now because of the frame rate. 3rd person seems more forgiving in that regard.

The sound seemed like it was working well... I had several instances where I discovered someone by their footsteps both inside and outside houses.

Anyhow, if MS and Bluehole(PubG Corp?) can continue to iterate and optimize, this really could be something special for MS to have as an exclusive.

I'm fucking loving it so far, got my first chicken dinner in my second game!

I had to raise my sensitivity up to 7 for the game to feel good, no aim assist make accurate shooting that little bit harder coming from PC

I've always thought the sound on the game is great I always know where I'm being shot from and were people are.

How do I pick first person I feel like it was there yesterday but I cant see it now

Onikaan

I'm fucking loving it so far, got my first chicken dinner in my second game!

I had to raise my sensitivity up to 7 for the game to feel good, no aim assist make accurate shooting that little bit harder coming from PC

I've always thought the sound on the game is great I always know where I'm being shot from and were people are.

How do I pick first person I feel like it was there yesterday but I cant see it now

RB for first. Or tap left trigger to ADS.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I honestly don't know so I'm asking: Are there TV commercials airing for PUBG? Billboards? How much is MS hyping it?

Game is console exclusive for now, they did get a lot of hype for showing it at this years e3, but other than that you are correct in that they really aren’t hyping it.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

neurophd

First time playing, awesome potential. Yeah it is rough but I am enjoying...definitely worth the $25 bucks I payed with Best Buy GCU. Looking forward to the updates.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Jesus I can’t hit the broadside of a motherfuckin barn. I just ran up on a guy with a full AK & shotty and shot them both to empty. He killed me with a pistol. I feel like everyone else is pretty accurate.

Dlacy13g

Really enjoying the game. I think one of my favorite aspects is how important sound plays a role in this game.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Jesus I can’t hit the broadside of a motherfuckin barn. I just ran up on a guy with a full AK & shotty and shot them both to empty. He killed me with a pistol. I feel like everyone else is pretty accurate.

Try raising your sensitivity setting I got mine at 7 find it a lot better and just play more I had the same issue on pc when I first jumped in

Played around ten games tonight, got third a couple times and fourth once. This game is very addictive.

Playing on xbox one X, and im having a hard time distinguishing where bullet, car,and footstep sounds are coming from. I think i need to buy some surround sound...

chechi

First match on xbox vanilla yesterday - and how I got my first PUBG-kill ever:

Found a pan and a grenade. Walked into a house and a guy with a handgun followed me and started shooting from behind. I ran upstairs - panicked - and just threw my grenade at the wall in front of me (idk why...), it bounced off and landed somewhere behind me and down the stairs, where the guy with the gun was still following and shooting at me: 1 Kill. Loved every second of it!

ps: If anyone wants to team up (CET, GMT+1) my xbox-gamertag: @wasted1cookie

Apples_89

Does anyone know if Dolby Atmos has been implemented in this version yet? I have it enabled but the sound seems a bit 'off' compared to other games I've tried which use it.

quickwhips

This game is a lot of fun on regular Xbox. Got top 7. I like the look a lot better than fortnite. I wish the guns were easier to see what is better like fortnite though.

shinnn

This game is addictive.

Got some crashes on the Xbox One. But the connection to the game is so fast that I'm able to get back to the match exactly where I left.

Horns

Credit to them for keeping the servers running. I was expecting there to be connection issues.

Played maybe 5 or 6 games yesterday and enjoyed it. This is the closest game to DayZ on consoles. I like that you don't need a squad to enjoy the online. It's just as enjoyable solo. While it's rough and needs lots of patching it's still a ton of fun.

Onikaan

Played about 12 games now and I've crashed 5 times, all but 1 of them resulting in my death.

Did get a chicken dinner last night, though.

Calibos

I just hope people continue to play and share their experiences...the game has only been out for a day and so many people are trying to bring it down due to performance issues. To me, it is so much fun and tense and difficult and unlike anything else on console besides Fortnite, which was a nice warmup for this game, but the overall experience of this is in a league of it's own.

Also...I looked at the career stats last night...

Solo - I was 176,987

Duos - I was 368,435

Are there 370,000 + people playing this game a day after launch????

Pozer

Neo Member
Played some more games last night with a friend, and my attitude has softened a bit. Don't know if im adjusting or good latency has a large impact.

rokkerkory

I just hope people continue to play and share their experiences...the game has only been out for a day and so many people are trying to bring it down due to performance issues. To me, it is so much fun and tense and difficult and unlike anything else on console besides Fortnite, which was a nice warmup for this game, but the overall experience of this is in a league of it's own.

Also...I looked at the career stats last night...

Solo - I was 176,987

Duos - I was 368,435

Are there 370,000 + people playing this game a day after launch????

This game has HUGE potential.

Calibos

People are way to critical of this game...it's an early access title...

This may help people understand...PC version highlights in it's current state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evMIiN-7Pe0

The game still isn't fully optimized and running perfectly on PC after 8 months...Give it a few weeks and I am sure we will see more stable performance, but it's going to be a while before we see major jumps in every category.

Also, this video is batshit crazy...

Night.Ninja

Banned
They really need to change the map controls using the dpad to zoom in and out is just awkward I don't see why we cant just use the triggers, A to place the maker and they need speed up moving the marker its too slow

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Played some more games last night with a friend, and my attitude has softened a bit. Don't know if im adjusting or good latency has a large impact.

Kind of in your boat as well the more I play the more I am forgiving it.

I guess I just had too high of expectations at launch then hit with the lag from the first lobby then jump and I was like this is a piece of crap.

Aside from early on game can really be quite fun.

styl3s

People are way to critical of this game...it's an early access title...

This may help people understand...PC version highlights in it's current state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evMIiN-7Pe0

The game still isn't fully optimized and running perfectly on PC after 8 months...Give it a few weeks and I am sure we will see more stable performance, but it's going to be a while before we see major jumps in every category.

Also, this video is batshit crazy...
It's not critical to expect more than 10-15fps from a game even in early access. Bugs/glitches/crashes whatever but the performance should be absolutely 100% unaccaptable in game preview and it's a valid critism.

My 980 on my living room PC never dipped below 60fps on the PC version even back when it first launched.

Onikaan

I'm not bashing the game (really enjoying myself), but I've crashed every game I've had tonight. I can't preview the game at this rate.

Anyone had similar issues? Any tips, can I turn something off? Xbox hard reset maybe?

Tenshin

Dips to 15fps? I know its on early acess but damn you still need to dish out $30 its not free.. Im gonna wait until the frame rate gets sorted out.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I'm not bashing the game (really enjoying myself), but I've crashed every game I've had tonight. I can't preview the game at this rate.

Anyone had similar issues? Any tips, can I turn something off? Xbox hard reset maybe?

no crashes for me try deleting then installing again

Pantz

I purposely lost 2 matches of Duo as quick as I could since I didn't play that mode yet. Leaderboards have me at 452,312. As far as I know, that's only for NA leaderboards.

So yeah, at least 452,312 people bought this and and played duo mode in NA. I'd guess the number is much higher.

Slash76

It's not critical to expect more than 10-15fps from a game even in early access. Bugs/glitches/crashes whatever but the performance should be absolutely 100% unaccaptable in game preview and it's a valid critism.

My 980 on my living room PC never dipped below 60fps on the PC version even back when it first launched.

10-15 fps? Ok, so you have seen the DF parachute screenshot... I'm playing it on Xbox One X and when you really play (once you are in the ground) it's always around 30 fps and very enjoyable. I had no crashes, only some glitch that I can tolerate the 1st day of an early access game. Many of us are really having fun with this game even in an early state of development.

On the x, graphics are good and fps during actually gamrplay is good imo, the latency is the real issue. I can't seem to shoot straight but i did beat a giy down with fists

Can confirm the Reddit post about improving frame rate by turning off DvR capture in settings under preferences. It feels like a solid 30 now. Playing on One S.

chechi

Slowling getting used to the controls - and actually starting to see that they really put alot of thought into it. BUT it took me almost 10 games to find out that the game offers an 'aim down sight' - finally getting some kills!

ahartig

Played about 15 games last night, some solo some duo. OG xbox.

Only one crash and it was a pretty solid experience, some pop in and stutter during the initial parachute drop in, but nothing game breaking, IMO.

Really enjoying it, got my buddy who is a BF4 junky absolutely hooked.

I forget how the game preview works. If this game ever does go "Final" or "gold" I assume we get a copy for free as we already paid in during the development phase? or do we have to re-buy a full retail copy?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Played about 15 games last night, some solo some duo. OG xbox.

Only one crash and it was a pretty solid experience, some pop in and stutter during the initial parachute drop in, but nothing game breaking, IMO.

Really enjoying it, got my buddy who is a BF4 junky absolutely hooked.

I forget how the game preview works. If this game ever does go "Final" or "gold" I assume we get a copy for free as we already paid in during the development phase? or do we have to re-buy a full retail copy?

You can say that you pre order the full game, but because of the game being early access then you get access to alpha/beta state of the game

Top Bottom