• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTTP: "Travelers", a time travel drama with a twist by Brad Wright (Stargate shows).

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNut

Hey Gaf, i just got to episode 7 last night
they shot the laser at the meteor

I love this series!!

mm04

Hey Gaf, i just got to episode 7 last night
they shot the laser at the meteor

I love this series!!

I thought that episode was really intense. One thing though,
I don't get why they didn't just shoot to kill the military resistance, rather than try to scare them off as to not affect history much, when they were going to get vaporized by the explosion anyway
. Small quibble, but good episode nonetheless.

Bookoo

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes, but sort of fell off towards the end.
I didn't like that it seemed like nearly everyone is a traveler.

-Deimos

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes, but sort of fell off towards the end.
I didn't like that it seemed like nearly everyone is a traveler.

That's actually one of the reasons I liked it so much. The team doesn't seem like these special unique heroes who are going to save the entire world all by themselves, like every other story ever. I like how the "good guys" have their shit together for once and aren't facing some big bad organization with the odds so stacked against them that it would be impossible for them to win, but do anyway using the power of friendship or some other garbage. The heroes are organized and do what it takes to get the job done, though towards the end of the season we did start seeing it turn towards the tropes I was talking about.

I like how it's the human race vs time instead of a small, ragtag team of misfits.

Frostburn

On the third episode and thoroughly enjoying it so far. Had surgery on my shoulder today so it's the perfect time to binge watch.

JoeNut

"Accidentally" finished this show last night, I say that because I didn't realise it was the last episode, and as you can imagine we were like "WHAAAT" when we realised there wasn't another episode lol

jerry113

Banned
Woah this is like Continuum + Quantum Leap.

Just when I thought time travel stories were getting old, these guys manage to make things interesting by adding some fresh elements to it I haven't seen before. Stuff like being unable to send any subsequent travelers back in time earlier than the most recent traveler.

The fact that sending people back in time restricts them from ever being able to travel back into their future timeline also raises the stakes and adds a lot of self-sacrifice to these characters.

2nd season please. They raised the stakes into something that resembles that
evil leaper arc from quantum leap

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I watched this one with my wife. It is shlocky and not something I will take very seriously, but it was a decent season, so I hope they make a season 2. It certainly doesn't hang with the best of Netflix/Amazon, but is better than most other "crime of the week with a twist" type shows.

sazzy

The show is well presented but its hard to take the premise of an unspecified threat happening at an unspecified time killing an unspecified number of people seriously.

Same guy who did Stargate shows? Not surprised because they were pretty shitty TV shows.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The show is well presented but its hard to take the premise of an unspecified threat happening at an unspecified time killing an unspecified number of people seriously.

Same guy who did Stargate shows? Not surprised because they were pretty shitty TV shows.

Lol. But co-signed. Time travel is by far my favorite plot device, but I didn't feel like this added much to the genre.

Elandyll

Banned
Loved the show, much more than I was expecting it.
I thought it was good but a bit soft until ep7, then it really kicked into gears for me.

Looking forward to another season.

UCBooties

I watched the first episode and had major problems with it.

One, there seems to be a lot of focus on the time-travelers trying to fit into the old lives of their "hosts" which is incredibly boring. I want to see time travelers racing to prevent catastrophe, not playing house and high-school football star. First episode flubs its premise badly by expecting me to get invested in the fake lives of these people at all.

Two,
Both the junkie and his roommate died at the same time. (lol), why not send two travelers back together? You wouldn't have one of them being arrested/watched by the cops, no need to fuck around with the shady lawyer, and most importantly you'd have two travelers at the same place who could immediately support each other instead of having to find each other in a chat room.

Three,
Why go through all the trouble of establishing that you are taking over people at the moment of death if you can just body-snatch living people. Why save someone, just so you can explain to them that you are just going to kill them anyway? The transfer process can heal lethal brain damage or magically remove heroine from a body but can't fix a broken neck? How am I supposed to root for these assholes if they're just bodysnatchers?

Really, really poor pilot that flubs what seemed like a neat premise.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The whole trying to fit into the host body's life thing is a bit odd, yeah. They talk about trying to maintain the timeline but they've already significantly altered it by saving the life of the person who was about to die, so I don't see why they can't just go off somewhere and do their own thing once they take over.

Matty77

One, there seems to be a lot of focus on the time-travelers trying to fit into the old lives of their "hosts" which is incredibly boring. I want to see time travelers racing to prevent catastrophe, not playing house and high-school football star. First episode flubs its premise badly by expecting me to get invested in the fake lives of these people at all.

Two,
Both the junkie and his roommate died at the same time. (lol), why not send two travelers back together? You wouldn't have one of them being arrested/watched by the cops, no need to fuck around with the shady lawyer, and most importantly you'd have two travelers at the same place who could immediately support each other instead of having to find each other in a chat room.

Three,
Why go through all the trouble of establishing that you are taking over people at the moment of death if you can just body-snatch living people. Why save someone, just so you can explain to them that you are just going to kill them anyway? The transfer process can heal lethal brain damage or magically remove heroine from a body but can't fix a broken neck? How am I supposed to root for these assholes if they're just bodysnatchers?

Uhh the transfer just kept him from putting the needle with the lethal dose in. The heroin is still in his system. And it didn't fix brain damage, that was a mistake and it starts killing her.

Both of these are things are major storylines throughout the show with lots of thought put into.

danm999

Awesome.

Two,

Three,

These things get addressed in future episiodes.

jdstorm

Banned

Two,

Three,

On Two. They believed that it was the first time the guy they jumped into had used. It was a screw up since they didnt want to be using addicts

maxcriden

I was psyched to try it but found the first ep kinda unexciting, unfortunately didn't really do anything for me. Does it improve a lot from there?

maxcriden

It does. The first episode is super boring, but it picks up soon after.

Ok, that's promising to hear for sure. Thank you. Glad it wasn't just us. I felt like in this first ep we don't know any of the host characters so it felt hard to care what was going on with them specifically beyond the conceptual level.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've been enjoying this show a lot. The characters are great in it.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm finished with the show, ran through it in a week.

Very watchable and greater than the sum of its parts. Quibbles and leaps of faith were had / needed but I found the characters / actors likeable and watchable crucially - when I have that, I'm fairly forgiving. I did have issues with the last episode. I understand that
going with a entangled 'Is the director really sending these messages'
is an interesting conceit but it felt kinda hapharzardly done.

Looking forward to Season 2 and I hope they have a good solid plan and are able to negotiate way ahead of time when the show will end. I've had a bad hit ratio with this type of show that gets cut and end unfinished or feel incomplete. Maybe something like 12 Monkeys managed to get with a Season 3 filmed and an announcement that Season 4 to be the last kind of deal.

Finished it yesterday and, like a lot of Netflix shows, it has pacing issues (imo).

In some episodes nothing much is happening, then in the last episode they drop truth bomb after truth bomb.

Still liked it though.

The Hobo

I watched the show a few months ago.

I really like that the Travelers are an organisation. Instead of one small team against the world, it's multiple teams across the world. And I like that they specified that teams don't usually work together due to having different missions. It forces the team to rely on their own skills most of the time, whilst also keeping the door open to teaming up with other Travelers every now and then.

The first season was definitely a slow burn. Hopefully the second season will pick up the pace given what we learned towards the end.

gforguava

Yeah, I thought this was surprisingly good. I love time travel stories and doubly so when the creators apply even a modicum of thought towards the concept so this was pretty much right up my alley.

And Grace better not be dead, she was my favorite character and Jennifer Spence was perfect.

I really like that the Travelers are an organisation. Instead of one small team against the world, it's multiple teams across the world. And I like that they specified that teams don't usually work together due to having different missions. It forces the team to rely on their own skills most of the time, whilst also keeping the door open to teaming up with other Travelers every now and then.
This was definitely one of the smartest moves the creators made, it made the characters feel like 'people' and not 'heroes', it gave a lot of color to the world, and allowed the bigger picture story to be kept hidden from the audience without it feeling like a cheat('cause the characters themselves don't have the whole picture).

So I finished s1. I am pretty impressed. There is no slow episode except 1-2 transitional ones. I probably like it more than Orphan Black s1.

I like that the plot doesn't take typical TV trope to "reset" the show dynamic after major events. That's what keep things at stake and keep me watching. I like most of the regulars except the young mother, everything about her side story and acting is meh. I had to wiki her "specialty" because her character is so useless.

The asian counselor/programmer is really good, they better bring her back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom