• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PSASBR leaks lead to recent SCEA PR firing [Up: Fabricated report. Not true.]

Mr. Fix

None of this makes any sense.

Sony's going to close down an entire PR office and lay off people who have worked for the company for more than a decade because some characters got leaked outside the marketing cycle?

It's just a catalyst though. Might be the cause, but not solely the reason.

The good news is that we may actually get Crash and Cloud in the game now.

Oh, and also that SCEA has some new marketing people.

Says who? I'm still a bit confused by Afro's PM and what's happening

Any links to this platinum interview?

It was from a GameTrailer's video if I recall

I feel sorry for SuperBot.

It'd be a real shame if KojiPro/PG refused to do business with them in the future, especially since it'd mean the exclusion of a certain oft-requested Konami character.

I feel super bad for SB too because the game is really great, and character translations into PSBR are done beautifully. I worry even further if we will see a sequel. Surely it's not that bad, right?

The way I see it now is we will see a lot of DLC, but a lot of the biggest names are third party and I dont see why PR (or whoever) cant do business with the most requested characters. Are they that stubborn, or is Sony that bad at striking a deal? Is it that dependent on the quality of the game, and are third party put off by All Stars?

Oh man. This is delicious.

1328724228_raccoon_eating_popcorn.gif

Zephyrus

Banned
Please clarify me two things.

1- I believe I saw a stealth confirmation that we may actually get some characters people have been asking for as DLC to fix this fiasco. I'm not overthinking this am I?

2- Wasn't spreading false information on NEOGAF a bannable offense?

prwxv3

Well this fucking sucks for Superbot. They just wanted to make a fun crossover fighting game. And with this and the insane levels of negativity their game is getting I would feel like complete shit If i was working at Superbot.

This and the part where SCEJ was 'catching wind' from Platinum and Kamiya's opinions?
So they order SCEA to fix it? How does that work and why?
Don't get it either.

Based on what I know, SCEJ's relationship with SCEA's is very similar to NoJ's with NoA. Whatever Japan says goes.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Some really stupid decisions all round from the pr/marketing. They really deserved to be laid off tbh. Especially since it led to a highly regarded developer openly bashing the title.

MisterHero

what if paul gales rocksteady tmnt rumor was really about rocksteady making a game based on nickelodeons new tmnt series which debuted an hour ago

lol the integrity of game news was compromised on both ends

Mush

The absurdity of this makes it really hard to believe, but given the way All-Stars has been handled, I'm not surprised.

Probably not going to pickup the game anymore, even after playing the excellent beta.

Capcom's leaks were due to an irresponsible employee sending character art through Twitter, unlike SuperBot hiding the data for every character, stage and mode in the Beta. I think they just underestimated the hacking/datamining prowess of their fans.

No, for both UMvC3 and TvC, they left images or names of unreleased characters in the website's coding. They didn't leak anything through Twitter.

Mr. Fix

Please clarify me two things.

1- I believe I saw a stealth confirmation that we may actually get some characters people have been asking for as DLC to fix this fiasco. I'm not overthinking this am I?

2- Wasn't spreading false information on NEOGAF a bannable offense?

1- That's what it seems like, but what are they going to do about the rights for those 3rd party characters?

2- It definitely should be. Paul did this too with the Metroid/Star Fox fiasco. That site should be bannable at least.

Zeroth

Sony's going to close down an entire PR office and lay off people who have worked for the company for more than a decade because some characters got leaked outside the marketing cycle?

I think it's more the "get a third party to PR secretly and tell him to purposely tell lies to keep their public satisfied" than the leaks themselves.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, Platinum and Kamiya said those things all over a Raiden reveal that didn't go as planned (if they had planned anything specific at all if this story is correct)? That's pretty weak.

I don't get this at all the more I think about it. It makes like...no sense. It's either a) total bullshit or b) the biggest display of incompetence I've seen in a long time.

So, Platinum and Kamiya said those things all over a Raiden reveal that didn't go as planned (if they had planned anything specific at all if this story is correct)? That's pretty weak.
yeah this rumour doesn't paint them in a good light either. Makes them look like children.

Darknight

Capcom's leaks were due to an irresponsible employee sending character art through Twitter, unlike SuperBot hiding the data for every character, stage and mode in the Beta. I think they just underestimated the hacking/datamining prowess of their fans.

I dont get why Sony/SB werent more "prepared" for this kind of thing I mean the PS3 has been hacked and anything PSN gets dumped online. You'd think they would remove traces from their Beta files which a person dumped and saw all the goldmine of info pretty quick as the beta went live.

Takao

Banned

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Ridley327

In order to continue hype, SCEA's marketing team contacted Paul Gale, who first revealed the game on his blog as "Title Fight". Realizing that he could be used as a scapegoat for false advertising, they bribed him (though the extent of which is something I do not know the specifics of) and told him to quote "go nuts".

Realizing a potential destruction of his reputation if done incorrectly, Gale carefully timed out "leaks" and "teases" and purposely laced them with vague and false information in order to pump the fan base up for release.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

So did the employee(s) responsible for making sure the beta code didn't leak the remaining content get fired? Or just a PR team that is used as a scapegoat?

The firings had to do with the roster leak from the beta not the Title Fight leak that Paul Gale revealed last year. PlatinumGames and Koji pro wanted a special reveal for Raiden. SuperBot blew it by not screening the beta files for potential leaks before release.

The leaks were in the beta, presumably because it'd be too much work to take them out. But the issue seems to be PR jumping the gun on the reveals without talking to PG/Koji Pro

BadWolf

Damn, I guess that's why they had nothing for TGS.

Bet Raiden was the reveal for that show, maybe Dante as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't get this at all the more I think about it. It makes like...no sense. It's either a) total bullshit or b) the biggest display of incompetence I've seen in a long time.

yeah this rumour doesn't paint them in a good light either. Makes them look like children.

Despite 'OH DAT KAMIYA' on GAF, lots of stuff that guy says makes him look like a child.
Hell, Bayonetta herself makes him look like a child.

Verendus

Banned
Yeah, it's shitty. But Sony are absolute idiots for not going into this game without securing the most important third party characters in the first place. This is one of those games that could be really good in terms of quality, but they're not giving it the kind of foundation it deserves so it won't matter. Cloud/Sephiroth, Snake and Crash; at least two of those three had to be in. They're not characters who should come in the "future" or be DLC. It's a chance to establish a new franchise possibly so you try to make the biggest splash possible. It doesn't matter about the beta leak at the end of the day, because revealing the roster as it is, even if it went according to plan, wouldn't have accomplished much. It's underwhelming.

Let's cut some crappy deals for some unnecessary third party characters and see it all go to shit due to how incompetent we are. Yeah, your plans got messed up. But you didn't have much of a plan in the first place if we're honest.

Drencrom

The stuff about Superbot working on DLC currently pleases me.

Wouldn't surprise me if Jenifer Tate ends up as DLC because of this ordeal lol

Seriously though, hopefully the get a hint and add chars like Kat, Wander, [insert attractive third party character] etc

Zeroth

So did the employee(s) responsible for making sure the beta code didn't leak the remaining content get fired? Or just a PR team that is used as a scapegoat?

If the article is to be considered, firing the PR team certainly wasn't a scapegoat. And yeah, I imagine the people who missed that detail probably got punished somehow.

Zephyrus

Banned
1- That's what it seems like, but what are they going to do about the rights for those 3rd party characters?

2- It definitely should be. Paul did this too with the Metroid/Star Fox fiasco. That site should be bannable at least.

Sony just has to pay for them. They're the ones who need them now. Especially Crash.

About Paul... those who follow the PSASBR thread are aware that I don't like him. I knew he was full of it. So I'm kind of glad that he's getting this flak.

Boss Man

None of this even ties in well it just like everything we already know in a post with added drama.
You realize you reacted the same way you are now when the leak happened right?

I don't know for sure if this rumor is true, but it definitely sounds legit.

Drencom already said it, but get your shit together Kaz!
KuGsj.gif

I might have to change my avatar lol.

Just to summarize it and from what I understand:

• Sony fails to get proper hype trailers to both Dante and Raiden because they were revealed in the beta leaks
  • SCEA and Superbot then work with Paul Gale so Gale can still create hype for the title by making false leaks
  • SCEJ finds out that Platinum is bashing the game because Raiden didn't get a proper hype reveal (probably supposed to happen at TGS) so they arrange for PR firings in SCEA, mostly those working in PAS:BR and urged Superbot to do the thing below:
  • Now superbot is working on more characters so that it could match the initially false leaks that Paul Gale released (and this is probably why the game was delayed)

I feel sorry for SuperBot.

It'd be a real shame if KojiPro/PG refused to do business with them in the future, especially since it'd mean the exclusion of a certain oft-requested Konami character.

Yeah so do I. While SCEA probably wanted a smash bros ripoff, the guys over at superbot seem like such nice guys who genuinely just wanted to create a good fighting game for the playstation fans. And the game seems like it has alot of effort and care behind it too.

Probably the best thing to come from this.

Hoping Crash does show up now

Well, he'd have to be free since Omar said Crash would never be DLC (paid I assume)

Seems to me DLC is the best way to make money for both third party and SB. Charge X amount, split the profits. And it's this reason that I dont understand why we cant see all the characters that are simply a given: Snake, Crash, Spyro, Wander (Sony owned), etc.

Probably the best thing to come from this.

Hoping Crash does show up now

Sony: "We need Crash otherwise the internet people who will buy our game regardless will be mean to us"
*cut to yosp walking out of Activision HQ, facing the ground, as Kotick laughter is heard overhead*

I think it's important for me to note that this is the account relayed to be by someone currently laid-off.

It could be entirely false but based on my relationship with this individual on a personal basis, I see no reason as to why he would make any of this up.

SykoTech

SCEJ then sent an executive decision SCEA's way to make "necessary re-arrangements" of the marketing and PR team in North America and directly urged Superbot to begin development on downloadable content that lines up with the fake leaks in order to keep good will with their early consumers who are obviously informed of leaks and rumors long before release.

Wow at this part. Just...wow.

On the flip side, we might actually get some significantly requested characters if they really follow Paul Gale's fake leaks (jetski, Cloud pic hint, 1987, etc.).

Boss Man

I would imagine that with the full the full weight of SCEJ saying that they have to they can probably get a lot more done. Not only with more strings being pulled, but with SCEJ essentially saying that you will spend what you have to spend. That's at least how I imagine it.

Top Bottom