• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

Frimaire

So like, for real, are mainline Danganronpa games actually good?
Liam and Woolie seem to like them.
Looks like they're Ace Attourney-esque VN?
I'm considering getting the first one on Steam...

Fat4all

Banned
I went in thinking just Ace Attorney, but the way the DR game approach solving their logical dilemmas are pretty unique, all while adding that Battle Royale flavor.

it has a similar structure of 'pre-trial investigation' - 'trial' - 'conclusion'

also, the second game is pretty much just tugging the rug underneath the players of the first game, make sure you play that one first

Both games are together in one pack on PS4 if your interested for $40 iirc

What's the Jaguar noise Matt keeps complaining about being used for explosions and fire and stuff? I can only think of one jaguar stock noise and I don't recall it being used for fire and explosions.

I think he means the rushing-air-fire-roar sound which gets used because in movies/games explosions are more often than not produce fireballs.

Frimaire

I went in thinking just Ace Attorney, but the way the DR game approach solving their logical dilemmas are pretty unique, all while adding that Battle Royale flavor.

it has a similar structure of 'pre-trial investigation' - 'trial' - 'conclusion'

]also, the second game is pretty much just tugging the rug underneath the players of the first game, make sure you play that one first
Both games are together in one pack on PS4 if your interested for $40 iirc

Thanks, Yeah, Steam also has a 40$ bundle for 1 and 2 as well, but it would only save me like $4 from buying them individually.
Might as well just get the first one in case I don't like it. Even if I do I could probably get the second on sale for cheaper later on...

Jintor

Danganronpa is my least favourite of the 999/Ace Attorney style murder/investigation/death game popular games, but it definitely has its moments

Matsukaze

So like, for real, are mainline Danganronpa games actually good?
Liam and Woolie seem to like them.
Looks like they're Ace Attourney-esque VN?
I'm considering getting the first one on Steam...
In terms of story progression, DR1 is super predictable, DR2 not so much. My playthrough of DR1 consisted of me correctly guessing the killer and victims within the first five mins of each chapter, because DR1 breadcrumbed super fucking hard even before the actual murdering happened.

But the characters are definitely memorable and you really do feel the blows land when characters you like bite the dust. The arrangement of the "social link", investigation, and trial gameplay segments is pretty cool, and the soundtracks are pretty good.

Just don't bother w Ultra Despair Girls, unless you really need to feel the pain.

Thanks for jabbing it straight through his skull Pat.

The dumber part is the panel in the back which I believe says something along the lines of "calibration error"

Yeah, that eye thing was absurd. Why the fuck did they need to jab a huge needle like that into Isaac's eye? Why not go for the slender needle, like in Star Trek: First Contact?

Edzi

Did the guys ever do an Undertale spoilercast? If not, how worth it is the Undertale LP (ending at least) to watch if I wanna hear their take on it? Just finished the pacifist run the other day (and watched a video of the final boss of the Genocide run since I wanted to see what the hype behind Megalovania was. It was worth it) and I'm curious.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Did the guys ever do an Undertale spoilercast? If not, how worth it is the Undertale LP (ending at least) to watch if I wanna hear their take on it? Just finished the pacifist run the other day (and watched a video of the final boss of the Genocide run since I wanted to see what the hype behind Megalovania was. It was worth it) and I'm curious.

Its fun and i love Liams Papyrus but Matt wasnt ever particularly good at the shmup section and they were warm on the ending (mostly because they played it after everyone hyped it up to max, so how could it live up?) For you, Id suggest maybe skimming through to your favourite in Undertale moments to see their reaction/funny voices.

Edzi

Its fun and i love Liams Papyrus but Matt wasnt ever particularly good at the shmup section and they were warm on the ending (mostly because they played it after everyone hyped it up to max, so how could it live up?) For you, Id suggest maybe skimming through to your favourite in Undertale moments to see their reaction/funny voices.

I take it they only did the Pacifist run then? Did they look up the Genocide stuff too?

Matsukaze

I'm pretty sure they did, but I cannot for the life of remember what episode it was.

EDIT: Actually, just double-checked and it might be Ep 114. Description: "A civil(!) discussion about Undertale is had."

I take it they only did the Pacifist run then? Did they look up the Genocide stuff too?

They more or less went into it blind and didn't even know about pacifist/genocide. So they actually killed some things starting off. Then the comment section reached out and yelled at them and I think Matt restarted off-camera. I don't think they say anything about Genocide and when pressed I recall Matt saying they didn't need to see everything.

FlowersisBritish

They more or less went into it blind and didn't even know about pacifist/genocide. So they actually killed some things starting off. Then the comment section reached out and yelled at them and I think Matt restarted off-camera. I don't think they say anything about Genocide and when pressed I recall Matt saying they didn't need to see everything.

Yeah plus Undertale wasn't actually on the schedule, and they were pressured to play through it and Matt was adamant they really didn't have time for a genocide run.

FlowersisBritish

Nah, instant kill bullshit doesn't count as a weakness of ripper-chan

I'm reminded how sudden and weak the ending of 2 is. Man 1 was really the best of the series, even if 2 did a lot of improvements.

I'm with you there. It was fun watching them go through 2, but 1 really is the best one in the series. Even outside the ending, there are tons of things that hint at the action series it will soon become, like his slick cool rocket suit (I love-hate that sick cool rocket suit ;/ ).

A.J.

Banned
The ending of Dead Space 2 reminds me that Dead Space 3 had a moment where you had 2 Ubermorphs after you. And it turned a scary scenario into boring micromanagement.

Man, Meryl can't catch a break with these love interests.

Also, just started the podcast, and I couldn't help but laugh because of that first sponsor.

The ending of Dead Space 2 reminds me that Dead Space 3 had a moment where you had 2 Ubermorphs after you. And it turned a scary scenario into boring micromanagement.

To be honest it already reaches that point in Dead Space 2. Pat's playthrough is obviously exaggerated because he's played the game (and a lot of games like it) before and already knows the "gimmick", but I think most people by the end of that segment are going, "Yeah, yeah, you again. Stasis-choppy-walk-away, take a hint already sphincterface." It kind of hits critical mass on the "you can't have effective horror when the player has a gun" problem.

We already know Woolie would sell out humanity for a bionic arm or super jump abilities. He was practically about to sign up for full Alien conversion the XCom LP...also wants some of the Snek.
Everyone wants a Snek they can cuddle with. If the aliens had used that as their opening gambit, XCOM would've lost on day 1 of the invasion and humanity would be turned into goo so the Elders could have their stupid Avatar bodies.

I was just really happy listening to them be happy about Boku no Hero

now that we've determined all their stands, can we determine their quirks

Honestly I basically agree with Pat's assessment in its entirety:

All Might is just Likable/Fixed Superman.
Deku must never put his cowl on god christ no.
Bakugo's outfit makes him look like a B-Tier Megaman villain, and he has about as much personality.
Froppy is Best Frog.

However, I will add that Eraser Head is rad.

Woolie's Quirk: Woolz
Woolie grows thick, powerful hair that can be made into winter clothing, ropes, or practical fursuits for the discerning furry.

Pat's Quirk: Tiny Legs
Pat has tiny legs. This allows him to not bump his head on many things and possibly disguise himself as a hairy child by throwing a tarp over his torso while sitting down.

Matt's Quirk: McMuscles
Matt can grow his muscle mass to almost double capacity if he consumes a sufficient quantity of pizza-pasta. Unfortunately, he has not bothered to increase his initial musculature to such an extent where this would be immediately obvious.

Oh boy, I can't wait to get announcement that we're back to a 1 video per day schedule, since we just got 2 Policenauts episodes in a row.

Top Bottom