• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

The reason why Beyond tanked was because it wasn't very good. It's not really a mystery.

I don't know how Lin dropped the ball so hard on the action sequences. The dude directed Fast Five for god's sake.
I think your problem was the movie was more like an episode of Star Trek than an action sci-fi movie, which is what the fans wanted. The problem is that the old school Trek formula doesn't sell to a mainstream audience which is why Star Trek will always play second fiddle to Star Wars.

Fuchsdh

This Wonder Woman run is crazy satisfying after hearing for years that "no one cares about Wonder Woman, lol".

That was true. They just gave people an actually good film and shockingly, people wanted to go see it.

People seem to forget Iron Man was an absolute second-string character to most people back in 2008 too. It's almost like quality matters more than nerd and non-nerd awareness.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That was true. They just gave people an actually good film and shockingly, people wanted to go see it.

People seem to forget Iron Man was an absolute second-string character to most people back in 2008 too. It's almost like quality matters more than nerd and non-nerd awareness.

It was only true if you live in the nerd bubble (and even then, eh). There was a very large and untapped audience that were clearly waiting for a Wonder Woman movie.

I think your problem was the movie was more like an episode of Star Trek than an action sci-fi movie, which is what the fans wanted. The problem is that the old school Trek formula doesn't sell to a mainstream audience which is why Star Trek will always play second fiddle to Star Wars.

The problem is more that they didn't really sell it at all.

It was still an action sci-fi movie.

Which is often what The Original Series WAS.

The movie's disappointing box office came mostly because Paramount didn't even really attempt to let people know what the fuck it was, or when it was coming out. It was the 50th anniversary and they sold it like it was Star Trek Insurrection.

The fandom being the fandom, made sure to wipe their ass all over it, for the most part, partially as "penance" for Into Darkness daring to (and fumbling the attempt) tap into Wrath of Khan, and partially because the fandom's Constitution-class stick up their ass refuses to give the Kelvinverse anything other than a passing sneer at its success because it's way more comfortable to adhere to the (bullshit) narrative that the Kelvinverse trilogy somehow sucked all the brains out of Star Trek and replaced it with Redbull.

It does. Next weekend and the one following will decide how likely that is. It needs drops closer to 40% than 50%.

Wonder Woman will pass Suicide Squad on Wednesday and BvS on Friday.
This is crazy. If you'd have told me three months ago that WW would outgross BvS in the US I would've laughed at your face!

Wonder Woman will outperform the first live action film with the two. Invest superheroes in the world! That's a testament at how good WW is, how much they underestimated her appeal, and of course how bad BvS was as well.

Chances of WW surpassing $700 million worldwide?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Nah it was never really true. Name a more popular and iconic female superhero? This was no iron man situation, woman make up a large proportion of comic book movie viewershups without a single lead starring character that really appealled specifically to them. Wonder woman was in prime positiom to appeal to that base. It had the name and recogniseability it just needed a good film though I think it would have done alright with a mediocre one.

Bronx-Man

Banned
*Paramount drops a teaser trailer for Beyond*
*goes radio silent for 6 months*
*a month before release goes '....here's a new Star Trek movie I guess?'*

Yes, it is a complete mystery as to why Beyond didn't do so hot.

I remember a lot of us thinking Star Trek would get bumped. They didn't even show the film off at CinemaCon, a particularly weird move since Simon Pegg and Abrams were there.

Schlorgan

If Beyond had a better release date and a marketing campaign as good (or at least as in-your-face) as Suicide Squad it would have done much better.

They had one really good trailer for it which (funnily enough) was the one with the Rhianna song and that's about it.

suaveric

That's how long the rewrite of Suicide Squad was as well, right?

No, that's how long the original script had to be written. I don't believe there was a rewrite. At least none that we've heard about. They did obviously change some stuff when they did those reshoots a few months before it opened.

The problem is more that they didn't really sell it at all.

It was still an action sci-fi movie.

Which is often what The Original Series WAS.

The movie's disappointing box office came mostly because Paramount didn't even really attempt to let people know what the fuck it was, or when it was coming out. It was the 50th anniversary and they sold it like it was Star Trek Insurrection.

The fandom being the fandom, made sure to wipe their ass all over it, for the most part, partially as "penance" for Into Darkness daring to (and fumbling the attempt) tap into Wrath of Khan, and partially because the fandom's Constitution-class stick up their ass refuses to give the Kelvinverse anything other than a passing sneer at its success because it's way more comfortable to adhere to the (bullshit) narrative that the Kelvinverse trilogy somehow sucked all the brains out of Star Trek and replaced it with Redbull.
I thought the trailers did a decent job at selling the movie as another space adventure with the crew, although maybe a bit misleading with its whole GotG vibe it gave off. I can't speak for how much they invested in advertisement. I can defiantly agree there were still some fans who believed the reboots were the worst thing to happen to the franchise and decided to not give it a chance. Idk, Star Trek always seemed like a tough sell. Did the classic movies sell better to a wider audience?

Majmun

Wonder Woman overtakes The Mummy as my favorite movie of the year.

It's so good. Watched it twice already.

Ridley327

Paramount did Beyond dirty. It's a real shame, since it's one of the best movies the franchise has ever produced and easily one of the best sci-fi blockbusters in recent memory, even without the handicap of coming out during a particularly dreary year for summer blockbusters.

PudieRSC

So happy to see The Big Sick get off to a good start. I can really see it being the Get Out of this summer in that it'll have a long life and make way more than people expect.

kswiston

Paramount's remaining 6 months of the year consist of Daddy's Home 2, the Cloverfield picture, and three films acclaimed directors that will entirely depend on reviews.

Daddy's Home 2 has a decent shot at being their #2 film of the year.

Schlorgan

Almost every casual person I know who watched Beyond thought it was the worst one of the new Trek films
I'm the opposite. One of my friends even thought it was better than Force Awakens.

I don't know about TFA, but I thought it was for sure better than Rogue One.

Ridley327

Paramount's remaining 6 months of the year consist of Daddy's Home 2, the Cloverfield picture, and three films acclaimed directors that will entirely depend on reviews.

Would I be correct in assuming that their current #2 is a film that has lost lots of money?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Like it or not, RT is here to stay. Based on how many bad films bombed last year and this year, it's got more influence than ever now.

In other news, what's the predictions for Baby Driver?

Slayven

I don't remember any ads for it, but i do for the other 2

watched transformers last knight for shits and giggles and boredom with some friends (and we were kinda drunk so that led to the faulty decision making).

movie is straight dumpster juice. Anthony hopkins did well tho. It's like he's the only one taking the movie seriously. He didn't get the memo i guess.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think Baby Driver could do well, considering there hasn't been a a good movie since Wonder Woman. July though looks absolutely packed. Like why are all these theatres sending out probable good movies week after week.

Abounder

Banned
One big problem with Trek movies is that they are episodic in this era of universes/trilogies, there's not really even a Thanos to tune in for. Trek movies take too long to make (and there's not much to look forward to) especially compared to the studios from the Disney umbrella, and GotG stole their thunder ( a problem even Young Han Solo might face)

Anyway w00t Wonder Woman

There's already a new Cloverfield?
They're moving fast this time, there was such a huge gap between 1 and 2. I guess it's one of the few franchises they have.

Good for Transformers. Hopefully this is the end of that franchise, though I'm sure Paramount will try to go along with that Bumblebee spinoff out of desperation, laughs.

"Snore than meets the eye"? I... like it.

It's amazing how the Cars franchise keeps being Pixar's biggest earner in terms of merchandising but none of the movies have ever done all that well at the box-office. Relatively speaking, of course.

The first two films opened really well, and the franchise is Lasseter's "baby" so to say, which along with the merchandising is one of the reasons why the sequels got greenlit basically.

Just First Contact and that one is about as dumb-action-movie as Into Darkness so it makes sense that those two are the highest grossing of the franchise.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture and The Voyage Home sold way tickets then both of the films. Both movies were also the fifth highest grossing films of their respected years.

So what are the odds WW surpasses GotG2 domestically? It’s only like 60 mil behind and has been out a month less time, and it made $25 mil this week to GotG2’s $3 mil.

Would be a massive feat if it did, imo.

There's already a new Cloverfield?
They're moving fast this time, there was such a huge gap between 1 and 2. I guess it's one of the few franchises they have.
Yup, God Particle, in October. Was first announced in 2012, and seems to be a similar situation as 10 Cloverfield Lane (a film that got repurposed as an entry in the "Cloverfield universe").

I thought the trailers did a decent job at selling the movie as another space adventure with the crew, although maybe a bit misleading with its whole GotG vibe it gave off. I can't speak for how much they invested in advertisement. I can defiantly agree there were still some fans who believed the reboots were the worst thing to happen to the franchise and decided to not give it a chance. Idk, Star Trek always seemed like a tough sell. Did the classic movies sell better to a wider audience?

What seems to be happening is that the Star Trek franchise just isn't creating new fans, or at least, not enough to replace the older fans who are dying out/losing interest. For various reasons that I'd rather not get into here lest I open up a can of worms, the overall setting and themes of Star Trek just isn't resonating with Millennials by and large.

Contrast that with Star Wars which has always had a multi-generational appeal and still brings in plenty of new fans to replace the old ones (that probably has more to do with merchandising, but regardless).

The 09 film seems to be the sole exception due to both banking heavily on the nostalgia factor, which brought back the more casual fans, and also marketing itself as just a good space adventure which brought in enough nonfans to make it a success. Once that nostalgia novelty factor had been played out the other two Abrams films did about as well as other Trek films have.

Top Bottom