• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone is 10 years old

Peltz

Just went from Android to iOS a couple weeks ago. Totally extreme opposite experience. Android stuff is significantly more buggy and crashy. iOS is rock solid and stable. After hopping from browser to browser on Android, not finding anything that worked well, Safari blew me away. It works great and ad blocking on it is super easy. It's faster and no crashes or hiccups of any kind.

I miss a lot of things with Android and to be completely honest if I bought another phone today, I'd go back to Android. iOS is simply just less capable. But it's way more polished and a better user experience (if you don't want to have any flexibility, which is the part I hate).

I agree. They scratch different itches. iOS is more polished and Android is more capable. That's always been the case when comparing any OS to Apple's stuff.

Personally, I went from Android to iPhone and haven't missed any of the features.

iMax

Oh, come on. You're being sarcastic right?

Well, I won't speak for The Giant but there is a deeper sociological argument that smartphones, the web, and social media has made us more distant and secluded from one another, at least in the "real world".

Perhaps I'm being overly cynical but everyone I ever see walking around always has their head down in a phone, watching live music through a phone held up in front of their face, taking photos of their own face in lieu of whatever historical site of significance that may be obstructed in the shot—I think smartphone culture has made most people quite egotistical, self-obsessed, and disconnected from reality.

And that's a real shame considering the sheer power these devices give us—but some of the incredible artistic achievements made on phones, whether it be through photography, film, music, design, whatever... those are amazing, and the potential there is infinite.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nah. Pre-iPhone I was using devices like this:

WbR8Xiv.jpg

This was around 2005 I think.

And like the iPhone, if you wanted to browse the web (using 3G too), you just opened the browser and started browsing. Checking email was a similar experience. Satnav? No problem. Admittedly, I used a stylus, not my finger, but it's not like the experience differed that much. If anything it would have been worse on the original iPhone since it didn't even support 3G.
so my guess is you were using Windows Mobile? I respectfully disagree. Garbage. I ran it on a HTC Hero(?) device.. Browsing was SLOW as hell, and I had 3G as well.. the CPU was terrible and page rendering was slower than the download speed. It also made basic stuff like scrolling terrible.

the original iphone was a DRASTICALLY better web browser than any of the Windows Mobile stuff I had ever used/owned around the same time. Yes it was only 2G.. but the actual page rendering was often faster and browsing an overall significantly smoother experience, even though the data in fact loaded slower. You never even noticed because of that stuff.

Bustanen

Other phones had data plans, but the iPhone couldn't be sold without a data plan. It essentially forced users who always opted no in the past to get that internet communicator in their pocket

And while other phones had camcorders and what not, the iPhone was the first example of proper blend of those apps with the functionality of a phone. Jobs originally demonstration that showed seamless transition from listening to music to taking a call to looking at a map was what was lacking in a lot of devices at the time. So even if other phones had the ability, usage was crappy enough to make you not want to use it
Actually the first iPhone was sold without subscription. My dad brought me one from the states and I had to wait a couple of months before there was a sim unlock available.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My mother will actually be getting her first smartphone this week. I offered her my iPhone 5c a few months back prior to selling it and she said she'd think about it. Well she called yesterday to ask about rate plans on AT&T and after explaining to her how data plans work (She should be more than satisfactory with just 1GB a month.) she said she would call up AT&T this morning and get it settled.

Sure enough she just called me and said a new SIM card is on its way (Her current SIM card is too big for a smartphone and it's old enough that it still says "Cingular" on it.) so she'll be dropping in when it arrives to get it set up and for a crash course on how to use the phone itself.

She already has an iPad so it should be fairly easy for her to make the transition.

Iphone changed the game. This really isn't up for debate.

Sure there were devices before iphone bit they were niche. Iphone was for everyone.

AdanVC

iPhone is honestly such a cool device. I'm currently rocking an iPhone 6 and I'm very happy with it. I's lame to congratulate big ass companies for this type of stuff so I'm just gonna say: looking forward to the iPhone 8 /X

Not looking forward to it's insanely expensive price

Because of the iPhone, hardly anyone buys maps anymore, or pocket cameras, or watches.

Lol, phones could tell you the time before the iPhone. It wasn't some high end innovation on Apple's part, and people definitely still buy watches. I feel like unlike dedicated GPS map devices (which were probably killed more by Android/Google Maps, then the iPhone?) watches are still seen as part jewelry/accessories and not purely worn for utility

Trago

Apple really changed the game. I remember Apple stores being flooded with people just fucking around at the iPhone demo stations.

It's not. If you want to argue that it was the first device to do those things while offering a more pleasant user experience, then that's a different argument.

Symbian, and OK :)

I think you’re misunderstanding the article you quoted. It’s not saying Apple invented those things with the iPhone. It’s saying the iPhone popularized those things.

Before the iPhone, smartphones were niche products. After the iPhone, smartphones became the default phone for most people. When’s the last time you saw someone who wasn’t a senior citizen rocking a flip phone?

Wvrs

I remember trying the Nintendo DS out for the first time and being blown away by its capacitor touch screen. When I finally got my hands on an iPhone (the whole Internet on this?!) I was floored.

It's crazy that there's only 12 years between my younger brother and myself, and even so the difference between my childhood and his is staggeringly big.

Metal-Geo

Receiving the first iPhone remains unforgettable. Had to import it from the States. Which meant it also had to be jailbroken (I believe?) for the SIM unlock.

Goddamn was that thing revolutionary. And also sexy as fuck.

Hopefully the iPhone 8 will be a mindblowing model.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh man, you can't even compare the original mobile Safari browser with anything out there before it. Other browsers were a chore to use.

SPDIF

I think you’re misunderstanding the article you quoted. It’s not saying Apple invented those things with the iPhone. It’s saying the iPhone popularized those things.

You can read it that way if you want to, I guess. It's a pretty bold statement to make either way though, and I'd still disagree. Personally I think the smartphone revolution was coming either way. If the iPhone never existed we'd still have the internet in our pocket, we'd still have the ability to listen to music, watch videos, look at maps, check email etc... You could argue the UX might not be as good as it is today, but the features would exist and people would be using them. You don't really think smartphones would still look and work like they did in say 2006, do you?

Now, if you want to talk about ways the iPhone did completely change things, talk about the App Store. That one is surely unarguable.

Oh man, you can't even compare the original mobile Safari browser with anything out there before it. Other browsers were a chore to use.

I thought Opera was pretty great actually.

Kysen

Was my second apple device after the ipod. Since then i've been pulled into their ecosystem. Shit just works. The older I get the less jank I can tolerate.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
And yet despite always using proprietary hardware with 1% of the compatibility concerns of Android makers, their software/OS is still buggy trash. Does Safari Mobile still crash all the time? I wouldn't know because I gave up on that crap 6 years ago.

You sound salty as shit.

And yet despite always using proprietary hardware with 1% of the compatibility concerns of Android makers, their software/OS is still buggy trash. Does Safari Mobile still crash all the time? I wouldn't know because I gave up on that crap 6 years ago.

I know what you mean. I feel the same way about Ford automobiles. I refuse to buy one because they run like crap. Does the engine still stall all the time when you come to a stop and then you have to hop out and crank it started again? I wouldn’t know because I gave up on Ford after the Model T.

I've never experienced this and I've been using iPhones since the 4s.

Ironically my wife who likes the Samsung Galaxy phones almost always complains about some kind of weird bug she's experiencing. More recently it was constantly telling her she had an unread text. Even after she deleted every text conversation from her phone it still said she had an unread one. I honestly can't say I've ever experienced any bugs on iPhone other than the very occasional app crash, but I'm not even sure that's the phone's fault.

A phone, an iPod, an internet communicator.

Are you getting it?

And boy have we patented it.

These are not three separate devices.

Lol I distinctly remember Steve Jobs saying all of those lines on stage. I was in high school went the phone was announced and I was secretly watching it from my class. It was an amazing presentation, so jealous that the phone was only on AT&T and thankful when it came to other carriers later on.

KxoZz

Lol I distinctly remember Steve Jobs saying all of those lines on stage. I was in high school went the phone was announced and I was secretly watching it from my class. It was an amazing presentation, so jealous that the phone was only on AT&T and thankful when it came to other carriers later on.
Agreed. That keynote is probably the best presentation of anything ever.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Did Tim Cook come to your house and piss through your mail slot? Jeez.

I didn't get the original iPhone due to the price and wasn't trying to camp out for a phone. But I wanted something like the iPhone. It looked so good. But I was on Sprint.

So I got this:
samsung-instinct-card.jpg

I was supposed to be the iPhone killer. Got it and it was trash. No third party apps. Really bad battery life. Bad touch screen. I was so fucking angry at samsung for this atrocity. Was able to sell the phone to cover the cancellation fee and switched to AT&T and I've been on iPhone ever since.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I didn't get the original iPhone due to the price and wasn't trying to camp out for a phone. But I wanted something like the iPhone. It looked so good. But I was on Sprint.

So I got this:
samsung-instinct-card.jpg

I was supposed to be the iPhone killer. Got it and it was trash. No third party apps. Really bad battery life. Bad touch screen. I was so fucking angry at samsung for this atrocity. Was able to sell the phone to cover the cancellation fee and switched to AT&T and I've been on iPhone ever since.

Good god, I remember having an LG Viewty phone.

It's was so, so bad that it put me off the LG brand possibly forever.
And then I got an iPhone 3GS. Fucking blew my socks off. Never went to another phone manufacturer since.

TeddyBoy

Good god, I remember having an LG Viewty phone.

It's was so, so bad that it put me off the LG brand possibly forever.
And then I got an iPhone 3GS. Fucking blew my socks off. Never went to another phone manufacturer since.

I didn't think I'd find someone else who had an LG Viewty, mine was in grey.

Man that thing was shit, once I got my iPhone I never looked back.

A great look at its development. Interesting read.

https://www.cultofmac.com/488008/jony-ive-book-excerpt-iphone/

This was a good read and if you have a few minutes I'd recommend it.

I always wanted the underdog to win, so I didn't get an iPhone back then. I waited and finally got an htc magic in 2009 with android 1.5.

I was the first one of my friends to own a smartphone and I loved it. Afterwards, I found another underdog to support: Microsoft who had lost everything regarding mobile. I'm on windows phone since. Incredible, how they managed to make things worse with the windows phone. I still love the OS, which they currently are calling windows 10 mobile. I wonder when they'll reboot it for the 4th (?) time?

I'll be ready. My current smartphone is aging, and I dont see myself upgrading to android again. Or apple. But if Microsoft doesn't deliver, I guess ill have to.

I always wanted the underdog to win, so I didn't get an iPhone back then. I waited and finally got an htc magic in 2009 with android 1.5.

I was the first one of my friends to own a smartphone and I loved it. Afterwards, I found another underdog to support: Microsoft who had lost everything regarding mobile. I'm on windows phone since. Incredible, how they managed to make things worse with the windows phone. I still love the OS, which they currently are calling windows 10 mobile. I wonder when they'll reboot it for the 4th (?) time?

I'll be ready. My current smartphone is aging, and I dont see myself upgrading to android again. Or apple. But if Microsoft doesn't deliver, I guess ill have to.

LOL. What are you doing? Come home....

tenor.gif

SPDIF

MS will probably completely drop Windows 10 Mobile. The new phone they'll eventually make (Surface Phone or whatever they end up calling it) will be running Windows 10 ARM, with a mobile friendly UI powered by CShell. At least, that's what I hope they'll do. It's the only way I can see myself buying Windows powered mobile hardware again.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Why torture yourself like this, damn.

🤔 🤔 🤔

reKon

Banned
No doubt that this was a game changing device. When it released it wasn't really a great "phone" (in term of phone capabilities) and was severely limited by its network, but it what it led to was something a much more incredible. Before phone manufacturers stepped it up did forwarding thinking stuff like adding stereo speakers and significantly reducing bezels for better one-handed use, iPhone 4 was my favorite phone design. I expect the next phone to be big. Just wish iOS would open up more. Enabling certain default apps (maybe have an approval process), making it easier to transfer files, and allowing LITE-customization are NOT hard things. But Apple continues to be stubborn in this regard. If they made those time of changes, that's the only time I'll consider grabbing their new phones.

The new iPad Pro though...

I'm picking that one up once there's a good sale later in the sale. That will be the first iOS device I own. I almost got a MBA, but then realized that it was pointless because I would be using my work laptop most of the time anyways (X1 Carbon). Instead I put that money into a HTPC hooked up to my 4K TV. Best tech decision I've made.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow hard to believe! I've still got mine and the special embossed carry out bag that w/ it. Crazy.
I waited in line all day that day and it sucked.

I had one pre-app store. The early days were not great. You either had to jailbreak or Apple suggested that "the website is the app." I'm real glad they wised up on that.

Aiii

So not worth it
I was so hyped for this phone that I had to buy an iPod Touch while waiting for the 3G to be anounced since they never bothered releasing the iPhone 2G worldwide. Was hooked from day one though, it felt and legitimately was the future of computing then.

reKon

Banned
I feel certain level of cringe reading posts on the first page of this thread which has GAFers reciting lines from the first iPhone conference.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel certain level of cringe reading posts on the first page of this thread which has GAFers reciting lines from the first iPhone conference.

I do agree that the press conference as a cultural moment is dead. Never again.

iMax

Calling it a press conference seems almost like we're selling it short. Those Steve Jobs presentations were very, very special moments in time. And yes...

I do agree that the press conference as a cultural moment is dead. Never again.

...I don't think we'll see showmanship on that level again either. It was remarkable.

In fact, IIRC there wasn't even a livestream for the iPhone announcement—just liveblogs! Imagine that!

dankir

Only iPhone I had was the 3G before I switched to Android. Wonder how different the world be today if the iPhone didn't exist. Any entire generation's life is built around the phone at this point. Crazy!

I love reading how wrong Apple's competitor's were about the product. Blackberry said it didn't stand a chance. I think HP said it was impossible or Apple was lying about a full battery powered touch screen phone, etc.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2015/05/26/blackberry-iphone-book/#d2c211263c94

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I personally consider the 3G and 3GS to be the dark ages of the iPhone. I just couldn't believe they were made out of plastic. I hate those phones. I didn't buy one. I went with the original Motorola Droid until the 4S came out.

Struct09

When they announced the first iPhone I remember saying to myself that I'd never need a phone that had internet access. And here I am 10 years later with my 5th iPhone waiting to upgrade to my 6th later this year.

Calling it a press conference seems almost like we're selling it short. Those Steve Jobs presentations were very, very special moments in time. And yes...

...I don't think we'll see showmanship on that level again either. It was remarkable.

In fact, IIRC there wasn't even a livestream for the iPhone announcement—just liveblogs! Imagine that!

I still remember being in high school, at computer lab during lunch period, refreshing engadget iirc to slowly load in updates and pictures from that MacWorld presentation. What a time.

Top Bottom