• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sopranos ending.

Vagabundo

Loved the ending. I don't get what all the moaning is about. How the hell did you want it to end?

Perfect ending for this show.

Coxy100

Banned
Loved the ending. I don't get what all the moaning is about. How the hell did you want it to end?

Perfect ending for this show.

Maybe a bit clearer just so we can be 100%? Imagine the shock of actually seeing him go.

I'm aware there are so many signs that he died but for me - I choose not to believe them. Goddamn I loved that show and Tony. To me he's still alive and kicking :(

GeoramA

Already seen Tony shot by a confused Uncle Junior. It was brutal and I didn't want to see it again.

This time it was done by a professional and Tony never seen it coming. It was a brilliant ending.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely hated the ending when it first aired but over the years I've grown to appreciate it more.

Reedirect

Actually slightly similarly to Deckard, the point isn't whether or not he is or isn't dead (/a replicant), but the doubt and ambiguity regarding his status.

Jake.

he's dead. but like alot of people, when i watched the finale during its original airing i thought my TV broke and went mental for 20 seconds trying to figure out what happened to the reception.

"hey sil, do you remember your first blowjob?"

Actually slightly similarly to Deckard, the point isn't whether or not he is or isn't dead (/a replicant), but the doubt and ambiguity regarding his status.

This. It's a fantastic ending.
The obvious implication is that he was shot by MOG and didn't see it coming.
But I really like how they left it at a mere implication, like how Deckard was probably a replicant.

Ending a popular series is extremely hard to do right, but they absolutely nailed it.

belinho

There are two interpretations that are equally as valid. You can't decide one is the truth.

1) Tony got shot by the bathroom guy and died because he dropped his guard. (but he does notice him so I'm not a fan of it)

2) Tony's life is a living hell because everything is a potential threat to him, his family offers him a brief distraction from it, and his daughter is the only thing that gives him peace (which is coincidentally when the show ends).

I haven´t watched the show in a while, but I remember the majority of the final season is about the war between the gangs, where everything is really heated up. By the end, the war is (apparently) resolved, and Tony relaxes, gets careless (if i remeber correctly). The ending scene is a celebration of the end of the war and Tony lets his guard down because there's no eminent threat. Maybe that's why he doesn't pay attention to the guy.

This is to say that in that last episode his life isn't a living hell. In fact, i think Tony feels peace is here to stay

It's pretty obvious how it went down, here's the breakdown. Spoilers for those who haven't seen it:
K65zoyZ.png

Raptomex

I like to think he lived. As in his Mafia life and bullshit just goes on and on as is. I enjoyed the ending, personally.

Fugu

I've read a lot about this ending, and the interpretation that I find there to be the most evidence for is the notion that no matter what happens in Tony's life, the show has to stop; his life of constant danger is going to continue (or end) regardless of whether or not we're there to see it and our window has to end sometime. A worse show would end things on a resolute note of some kind but that would be doing the reality of Tony's life - constant tension - a disservice. He'll never get to relax until he's dead.

Frankly, however, the only interpretation that strikes me as outright wrong is "he's dead and it's totally unambiguous!". There's plenty of ambiguity. Maybe it's unambiguous to you because you find a certain interpretation so compelling, but there's plenty about it that gives it ambiguity. The conversation with Bobby about death is commonly cited as evidence that he's dead but in the absence of gore (and in the context of the Sopranos) it is equally valid to interpret that as a red herring. The theory that he is unambiguously dead also ignores the fact that the plot had turned away from Tony being killed in the very same episode. Finally, you don't actually see him die so sorry, it's ambiguous.

Vagabundo

Maybe a bit clearer just so we can be 100%? Imagine the shock of actually seeing him go.

I'm aware there are so many signs that he died but for me - I choose not to believe them. Goddamn I loved that show and Tony. To me he's still alive and kicking :(

Nahh we don't need to see it. It was a bit of a shock for me. I didn't know I was watching the last episode. lol

Occam

There is no reason for both the screen to suddenly go black and sound to stop the same instant other than Tony being dead because he was shot in the head.

Sorry if you don't like this, but you'll have to deal with it.

Preezy

Ended up watching a tribute video on youtube about James Gandolfini after the OP video, nearly cried :(

Such a great actor, and seemingly great human being, sorely missed.

Nepenthe

There is no reason for both the screen to suddenly go black and sound to stop the same instant other than Tony being dead because he was shot in the head.

Indeed. I think a far more ambiguous ending (not necessarily better) would've been a literal cut to credits. If "the show is just supposed to stop eventually" and we're not allowed to be privy to everything in his life afterwards, what then is the point of lingering black? Just cut it off.

I didn't like the ending at first but looking back on the finale it's fine. It got people talking, and we are still talking about it over a decade later.

Slaythe

I haven´t watched the show in a while, but I remember the majority of the final season is about the war between the gangs, where everything is really heated up. By the end, the war is (apparently) resolved, and Tony relaxes, gets careless (if i remeber correctly). The ending scene is a celebration of the end of the war and Tony lets his guard down because there's no eminent threat. Maybe that's why he doesn't pay attention to the guy.

This is to say that in that last episode his life isn't a living hell. In fact, i think Tony feels peace is here to stay

That's wrong.

He does pay attention. To everything and everyone, he drops his guard briefly when his family chit chats. Before that he was checking out everyone.

When MOB goes into the bathroom, Tony catches it. It's only when his daughter arrives that it all stops.

Earlier, his daughter is implied to have been the reason he fought to stay alive. She's his peace.

So basically, you can think that he either dropped his guard because of his daughter's arrival and got killed, or his daughter arrived and ended all that tension within him.

What has to be pointed out is that Meadow (the daughter)'s arrival is delayed several times and we see her struggling to park. So it proves that her arrival is the reason it ends.

There is no way to be 100% certain what did happen though.

sangreal

My take is also that the cut to black is his death. Pop just like that.

That reminds me, need to rewatch The Sopranos soon.

Sorry if you don't like this, but you'll have to deal with it.

The cut to black doesn't mean anything worthwhile, whether you believe he died or not

I thought the ending would be somewhat jarring, sure. But not to the extent it was, and not a subject of such discussion. I really had no idea about that. I never considered the black a shot. I just thought what we see is black. The ceiling I was going for at that point, the biggest feeling I was going for, honestly, was don't stop believing. It was very simple and much more on the nose than people think. That's what I wanted people to believe. That life ends and death comes, but don't stop believing. There are attachments we make in life, even though it's all going to come to an end, that are worth so much, and we're so lucky to have been able to experience them. Life is short. Either it ends here for Tony or some other time. But in spite of that, it's really worth it. So don't stop believing.

Again, this scene is just a music video for don't stop believing, in Chase's own words

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That's wrong.

He does pay attention. To everything and everyone, he drops his guard briefly when his family chit chats. Before that he was checking out everyone.

When MOB goes into the bathroom, Tony catches it. It's only when his daughter arrives that it all stops.

Earlier, his daughter is implied to have been the reason he fought to stay alive. She's his peace.

So basically, you can think that he either dropped his guard because of his daughter's arrival and got killed, or his daughter arrived and ended all that tension within him.

What has to be pointed out is that Meadow (the daughter)'s arrival is delayed several times and we see her struggling to park. So it proves that her arrival is the reason it ends.

No, the framing of several shots indicates that Tony is largely unaware of MOG's presence in the bar and him going into the bathroom. It's for the most part after AJ's arrival that he stops being on edge in the scene.

Cracklox

That's wrong.

Nah. He's a little on edge, cos u know he Tony Soprano, but he's pretty clearly shown not paying attention to everything like he should (and probably otherwise would) by flipping through duke box records, and looking over the menu a lot. Heck, when MOG walks in, it's right in front of AJ, and because he's more happy to see his son get there, he doesn't even notice him. When MOG is shown kinda nervously sitting at the table looking over his shoulder at where Tony is sitting, again Tony is more interested in family time. It isn't till the guy walks RIGHT in front of Tony that he notices him for the first time, and by that time he more caught up in happy family times.

Regarding Meadow this shot is crucial

396845548-078960.jpg

Its shows had she not been mucking around trying to park, she would have been sitting exactly in a spot that would have obscured a clear shot from MOG as he comes out the bathroom. It also adds credence to why there was seemingly this valuable time in the last ever scene of one of the greatest tv shows made, dedicated to a girl struggling to park.

Anyway, I thinks its all pretty clear cut, though at time was admittedly a little confused

Yeah he died for sure. I wasn't sure to begin with, but all it takes is you to pay attention or rewatch to realize.

The real question is: Who killed him/ordered the kill.

Either way it sure left the Jersey crew in a sad sad state.

Cracklox

Yeah he died for sure. I wasn't sure to begin with, but all it takes is you to pay attention or rewatch to realize.

The real question is: Who killed him/ordered the kill.

Either way it sure left the Jersey crew in a sad sad state.

I think a revenge hit for what happened to Phil Leotardo at the gas pump makes most sense. That was in front of the family, and also sorta ended with him not really able to have an open casket funeral. That sort of stuff is generally against mob rules. A revenge hit on Tony in front of his family is effectively an eye for an eye

But then Tony did make a few enemies over 6 seasons, and it could have been anyone. I think that part is meant to be intentionally vague though. Tony didn't know, so why should we

I think a revenge hit for what happened to Phil Leotardo at the gas pump makes most sense. That was in front of the family, and also sorta ended with him not really able to have an open casket funeral. That sort of stuff is generally against mob rules. A revenge hit on Tony in front of his family is effectively an eye for an eye

But then Tony did make a few enemies over 6 seasons, and it could have been anyone. I think that part is meant to be intentionally vague though. Tony didn't know, so why should we

Oh yes it's certainly meant to be extremely vague. I read some interesting theories on Paulie being in on it, which I could certainly see and started believing more.

• Butchie originally planned the three hits on the Soprano crew in a barber's shop (where Paulie is specifically mentioned as not a target.) Then in Made in America Paulie walks into Satriale's with a box of barber scissors (the 30 pieces of silver)
  • In the final sit-down Butchie keeps looking towards Carmine before making a decision (as he is the new heir-apparent of the Lupertazzi crime family)
  • Little Carmine looks sad and says "It didn't have to be this way"
  • Paulie shakes Butchie's hand behind Tony's back
  • When Paulie calls Tony to tell him Carlo is missing, he says they were supposed to see Butchie "to run down a few items."
  • Little Carmine had been "crying the blues" over Tony's feud with Phil because it was hurting his income
  • When Butchie bumps into Tony at the hospital he says "We gotta stop meeting like this!"
  • Paulie is wrecked with guilt over something important in the final episode
  • Paulie has a dream where he sees Pussy's ghost and he asks him "When my time comes, will I stand up?" This is in the same episode where Tony begins to doubt Paulie's true loyalty after realizing he used to give Soprano secrets to Johnny Sack (i.e. New York)
  • Mikey Palmice's ghost telling Paulie and Tony 3 o'clock

collige

Banned
Even if he did get whacked right there, his life was clearly over soon based on the way things were going. He was inevitably going to end up either in prison or dead.

Cipherr

I finally finished the sopranos. What the hell was going on with that ending? I thought my piece of shit HDMI cable had cut out at first.

Didn't you hear? That makes it amazing. Everyone knows that only brilliantly scripted television could make you think your equipment was malfunctioning!

In reality, its a shitty ending (I'll add thats my opinion. A more accurate description would be that its an intentionally AMBIGUOUS ending). A total cop out tacked on to the end of the most well written and brilliantly paced television shows of all time. The fact that such a remarkable piece of work has such a ridiculously out of place wart riiiiiight at the end pushes a lot of people to look for a reason to explain it away or at least make an excuse for it.

But its like all those crazy folks standing looking and marveling over some 'art exhibit' where some random just threw a paint can at a canvas and left a splotch of paint on the page. It isn't sophisticated, it isn't deep, it isn't "over the viewer's head". It's just a fucking cut to black.

kirblar

Also an underappreciated argument in favor of Tony's death -----> The scene is a Godfather reference
Yup. On top of everything else about the way that scene is structured and foreshadowed, it's using a piece of pop culture iconography to make it clear what's going on.

Didn't you hear? That makes it amazing. Everyone knows that only brilliantly scripted television could make you think your equipment was malfunctioning!

In reality, its a shitty ending. A total cop out tacked on to the end of the most well written and brilliantly paced television shows of all time. The fact that such a remarkable piece of work has such a ridiculously out of place wart riiiiiight at the end pushes a lot of people to look for a reason to explain it away or at least make an excuse for it.

But its like all those crazy folks standing looking and marveling over some 'art exhibit' where some random just threw a paint can at a canvas and left a splotch of paint on the page. It isn't sophisticated, it isn't deep, it isn't "over the viewer's head". It's just a fucking cut to black.

I don't know if it's bad. I like it more now then I did last night. The last scene was so well done.

CD'S BAR

In reality, its a shitty ending (I'll add thats my opinion. A more accurate description would be that its an intentionally AMBIGUOUS ending). A total cop out tacked on to the end of the most well written and brilliantly paced television shows of all time. The fact that such a remarkable piece of work has such a ridiculously out of place wart riiiiiight at the end pushes a lot of people to look for a reason to explain it away or at least make an excuse for it.

Except it's not just a cut to black. It could've worked even if it had been, but Chase took the time to establish in that scene that the shot that we should be seeing instead of black is Tony's first-person perspective. And that is what he's seeing because he's dead.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Back when I watched it live I was furious. Came around on it very quickly after it happened during the discussion that followed in the days after. Now looking back it's easily my favorite ending to a TV show ever and 2nd place isn't even close. This is one of the only shows I've ever watched a 2nd time from start to finish.

Fugu

You're right. We're all just making excuses.

This is about as asinine as "the ending with a million different competing interpretations is not ambiguous! He must be dead because of my very specific interpretation of the facts!".

The whole season foreshadows it. He gets shot in the head.

This.

Basically the whole season setup the equation of 2+7+33-17 =

Just because the ending didn't blurt out the answer doesn't mean the answer is ambiguous. The answer is clearly there if you construct the equation from the entire season of data points.

A good piece of art doesn't need to provide an answer key at the end. It should allow enough space for the viewer to have their experience and discover the conclusion on their own. Some people ignore obvious clues or simply perceive things differently, and that may affect their perception of the ending. Again, it doesn't mean the ending was ambiguous. It's just the "non-hollywood" or "storybook" ending forced people to think on their own about the events that transpired. The ending is actually pretty straight-forward given all the clues from the season, but many viewers struggle to accept because of the attachment they had with Tony or thought there should have been a grand-shootout. People's attachment and expectations made them blind to the obvious.

pantsmith

This thread is insane with the number of people claiming to have definitely witnessed a particular outcome.

Its intentionally vague, yo. Yes, Tony is probably going to die. Not knowing when, not having any of the answers, especially as audience members, mirrors the same feeling of anxiety and uncertainty that led Tony to have a panic attack and set the dramatic arc of The Sopranos in motion back in season one.

sangreal

This.

Basically the whole season setup the equation of 2+7+33-17 =

Just because the ending didn't blurt out the answer doesn't mean the answer is ambiguous. The answer is clearly there if you construct the equation from the entire season of data points.

A good piece of art doesn't need to provide an answer key at the end. It should allow enough space for the viewer to have their experience and discover the conclusion on their own. Some people ignore obvious clues or simply perceive things differently, and that may affect their perception of the ending. Again, it doesn't mean the ending was ambiguous. It's just the "non-hollywood" or "storybook" ending forced people to think on their own about the events that transpired. The ending is actually pretty straight-forward given all the clues from the season, but many viewers struggle to accept because of the attachment they had with Tony or thought there should have been a grand-shootout. People's attachment and expectations made them blind to the obvious.
If that were the case it would be simple to just say "yeah, he is dead" or "no, he isn't dead" but he won't because there is no deeper meaning to the scene other than "don't stop believing", which happens to be the answer he actually does give every time he is asked. There is no right answer because he didn't think it through, not because he intentionally created a mystery

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...ust-ruined-the-finale-of-the-sopranos/390879/

I like to think Tony is dead because that would be the fitting end that Chase didn't bother to actually write

I never bought into the Tony got wacked concept. If he was amongst gangsters then maybe he gets hit by one of his own and doesn't see it coming. Getting hit in a public place with his family completely unaware, it just doesn't fit with the character. He was the Boss and he didn't get there being clueless. The story started and ended with family that's all there was to it.

Agreed. And at that point I don't know who would have been left to take him out.

The last family death I ended up skipping the wake and attending the funeral, which ended up being closed casket. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure whether or not my uncle is dead since I never saw his corpse. Its open to interpretation.

Top Bottom