• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayu26

Who did not see this coming?

Well, me because the other thread said that they were both 30 and definitive and...never mind.

mrg6290

If it's ~60fps average, half the time it's above 60fps.

The PS4 is amazing.

Yea, his description doesn't line up with 60 fps average, but maybe its just the way he describe things.

From article:
On the other hand, the PlayStation 4 build will attempt to hit 60 fps as often as possible, and does a pretty good job of doing so, but does have slight dips under 60 fps during certain scenarios.

Guess we shall find out when it releases.

Oh yeah, the "This game is cinematic!" "It's not a twitch shooter!" "30 FPS is fine, you won't even SEE the difference!" incoming.

Fact is, you'll FEEL the difference.

Yea, I played this at release on PC with a low to mid nvidia card. I started out on normal getting about 30fps in most areas. Shanty town it took a dive but still playable. Between game patches and driver updates the game eventually ran closer to 50+fps most of the time and hitting 60fps some of the time. This is a game that benefits from 60fps. The shaky camera that some people really disliked comes across much better and smoother at 60fps.

I'm having no issues with Splinter Cell on Wii U running at 30 so for some games I find it to be fine, but Tomb Raider plays much better at 60.

hawk2025

I'm an Xbox One user and this doesn't surprise me. PS4 has better hardware, more mature dev tools, and less reserved for the OS.

I expect as dev tools mature there might be a bit more parity but for the life of this generation PS4 should be the superior version.

That being said, I'm a console gamer. If framerates and resolutions were my primary concern, I would be gaming on PC.

Never quite understood this point.

Regardless of what you "are" you should always be looking for the biggest bang for your buck, and caring about this stuff isn't binary -- it isn't "either you care COMPLETELY and must buy dual titans, or you don't at all".

sn00zer

Tinfoil hat time!

I am still certain that the COD and AC4 1080p path was released after reviews on purpose so there was no discernible difference reviewers could talk about. I expect something similar hear if both games are locked 30 then mysteriously patched later to unlock frame rate. Because I am certain PS4 previews for both games mentioned the 1080p difference, but was mysteriously absent come review/day 1 time then patched later.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

Z9itkBt.gif

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Wow, I really did not expect a developer to give such a massive framerate advantage to the PS4 but I'm glad to see it. This is very responsible use of the hardware advantage in the PS4.

I got a Titan on PC and I don't get steady 60 fps WITHOUT tressfx.

Can't be true, certainly not at 1080p. I get a locked 60fps without TressFX with my 7970.

btrboyev

I'll quote EatChildren again from a previous TR thread

It's unlocked, but it doesn't really sound like it's all over the place. It seems to stick very close to 60fps.

Well I hope so. There is nothing worse than a 60fps game that drops often. It's super noticeable and it's far more noticable than a 30fps going down to the 20's. At least to me anyway.

So these werent retail builds?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Who did not see this coming?

Well, me because the other thread said that they were both 30 and definitive and...never mind.

to be fair. most people thought it would be 30 because tressfx murdered performance on pc even on the heftiest of systems.

CLEEK

The power difference between the two consoles has always been too big to ignore.

Long before the console launched, it seemed clear that the Xbone would always have big compromises to try and match the PS4/PC versions of games. Either significantly dropping resolution, frame rate, AA, lighting, or a combination of them.

It will be interesting to see what gets the bigger reaction. Games that are 1080p/720p on PS4/Xbone, or games that are 60fps/30fps on them. Got test to see what is more noticeable and more important. Frame rate or resolution.

I'd personal prefer 720p/60 over 1080p/30, but then again, I'm not an Xbone owner, so it doesn't matter.

Sweet, I never bought the original version, but all the great praise means I am look forward to playing the definitive of the definitive edition on my PS4.

Can they really claim it to be the definitive version on the xbox if it can't do the same job as the PS4 version?

meanspartan

Can't wait for the journalists to spin that this doesn't matter since no one cares about frame rate or they can't see the difference.

RIGHT?!

Resolution doesn't matter guys, neither does framerate.

And since they don't I'll be taking the extra special edition NES version of Tomb Raider.

That's fucking nuts. Probably says just as much about the state of Xbox's One dev tools as the console itself, but still. It looks really bad.

koutoru

FFFFFFFUUUUU!!!

Why didn't they just reduce the resolution?

1080p resoulution is a much more marketable feature than 60 fps to the mass market.

I personally would of preferred if they went to 900p and try to hit 60 fps that way. (I don't know if they could, though)

Demoskinos

Huh, well that is interesting. I was sort of bummed hearing rumors of 30fps but these reports of 60fps for PS4 have me slightly more jazzed to buy the game next week.

I have a PS4 but I'm still glad I picked this up for next to nothing as part of an Amazon Digital games sale and my laptop runs it just fine.

Also based on this information, it is still possible that it's more like 40 fps average for XB1 and 50fps for PS4, so why don't we wait for the DF analysis?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If a last gen port doesn't convince you....what will?

I see lots of people pointing out the games where Xbox One does manage 1080p60, like NBA 2k14 for instance, but they ignore all the instances such as this. And there still isn't an example of a game running better on the X1 than Ps4.

its not a matter of running better then ps4. it wont (or at least shouldnt for any conceivable reason). its that i have a hard time believing that the difference will consistently yield twice the framerate. a quickie port from the previous gen is just that, a quick port. i cant imagine they wanted to spend a huge amount of time in porting the game to each systems specific strengths. fact of the matter is, the ps4 should be easier to port over and get great results without much tuning. the x1 should be able to be closer to the ps4 version, but with much more effort put in.

again, i may be proven wrong, but i'm not ready to concede 30 vs 60 as the norm based on this example.

Amir0x

Banned

What really pisses me off about these comments is Penello asked if the community would apologize to him if the framerate difference is not more than a few single digits, and yet he has not had the self-respect to come here and apologize to us when the difference is demonstrably massively larger in a myriad of multiplatform titles

can't tell you how much this whole shit this year has soured me on the whole brand

IISANDERII

Is that site overbaked right now? Tried clicking the link and got:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 15728640) (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /home/rocketch/public_html/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 252

Didn't the Executive Producer for Tomb Raider, Scot Amos, recently confirm it was 1080p, 30 frames on both consoles?

The Definitive Edition will be 1080p, 30FPS on both PS4 and Xbox One, Amos said.

Source

Well... guess this is STILL running at 30 FPS on both. :p So he wouldn't exactly be lying! That powergap, lol.

Meh. Don't really care myself. Still buying this on my Xbox One over my PS4, just for the slightly better Voice Commands and the Achievements.

EDIT: Clarifying a bit on why I'm still getting it on Xbox One:

I've already played the game once, and I'm rebuying it mostly for the fun of it and to boost my gamerscore a bit more, since I failed to do so with the Xbox 360. If I was as invested into PSN's Trophy as I was with Gamerscore, I would definitely buy it on PS4 instead.

Also, by Voice Commands I mean more than the in-games "Fire", etc. I mean being able to just come home and switch to this whenever I get bored of Battlefield 4/Peggle 2, and be able to snap Netflix and catch up on some shows while I mindlessly replay this for the Achievements. (bolded this because this is my main reason)

Framerate is important to me, definitely more important resolution, but since I've already played this game, I care a little bit less.

An unlocked frame rate that moves between 30 and 60fps is worse than a locked 30. Yuck.

Those that have played it have not said it reached that low.

Didn't the Executive Producer for Tomb Raider, Scot Amos, recently confirm it was 1080p, 30 frames on both consoles?

Source

Well... guess this is STILL running at 30 FPS on both. :p So he wouldn't exactly be lying! That powergap, lol.

Meh. Don't really care myself. Still buying this on my Xbox One over my PS4, just for the slightly better Voice Commands and the Achievements.

Scot Amos himself said in the stream that the 30fps was a misquote. Notice in the link you posted nowhere is 30fps in quotation marks.

So no, the PS4 version is still reaching 60fps while the Xbox One version isn't.

As for voice commands, no one knows if Kinect voice commands are better or not.

Tsundere

Banned

Source

Speedy Blue Dude
This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Entertainment System

An unlocked frame rate that moves between 30 and 60fps is worse than a locked 30. Yuck.

Way to read the OP. Not once does he say it moves between 30 and 60 FPS. Instead he said at stays steady at seemingly 60 with some noticeable drops. I got news for you "locked" 30 FPS games can have drops as well.

kuroshiki

I have a PS4 but I'm still glad I picked this up for next to nothing as part of an Amazon Digital games sale and my laptop runs it just fine.

Also based on this information, it is still possible that it's more like 40 fps average for XB1 and 50fps for PS4, so why don't we wait for the DF analysis?

and where you are getting this impression from?

PS4 = Goku
XBone = Goten

Wouldn't the Xbone be Vegeta though? If anything, the Wii U would be Goten.

i'm not denying that. never have (once we knew what the systems were). but i dont think that 30 fps versus 60 will be the norm.

maybe i'll be proven wrong - but this doesnt convince me.

What more proof do you need? Maybe not necessarily framerate differences, but resolution differences too? CoD, BF, AC, and now this.

This is the new normal.

Timu

The power difference between the two consoles has always been too big to ignore.

Long before the console launched, it seemed clear that the Xbone would always have big compromises to try and match the PS4/PC versions of games. Either significantly dropping resolution, frame rate, AA, lighting, or a combination of them.

It will be interesting to see what gets the bigger reaction. Games that are 1080p/720p on PS4/Xbone, or games that are 60fps/30fps on them. Got test to see what is more noticeable and more important. Frame rate or resolution.

I'd personal prefer 720p/60 over 1080p/30, but then again, I'm not an Xbone owner, so it doesn't matter.
I think resolution might be just for the clarity alone as X1 could do 60FPS if they drop the res down as well to like 720p/900p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom