• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| |OT| Volunteer, coordinate, (index), create

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Sorry to ask this here but, when do you become a regular member? I'd like to do the OT for Retro City Rampage, but I can't make threads yet.

ShadiWulf

Sorry about the lateness of the Rhythm Thief OT, I'll try to have it up by this weekend. I forgot the game came out in Europe, doesn't come out in the US now until July )=

injurai

Banned
Well shit, I'm doing Ratchet and Clank collection, but the release day is only for Europe. I won't get to play it til September ;__; It will be painful to do this OT and watch everyone go crazy over it. At least I have my PS2 still...

Nemesis_

Updating topic now, but also claiming Resident Evil 6 OT for October and the Demo OT in July. Recent trailer has me beyond hyped. Starting work now! =P

EDIT: I'm apparently not allowed to create my own RE6 thread. cvxfreak will be creating one now. I will add him to the OP.

shira

Updating topic now, but also claiming Resident Evil 6 OT for October and the Demo OT in July. Recent trailer has me beyond hyped. Starting work now! =P

EDIT: I'm apparently not allowed to create my own RE6 thread. cvxfreak will be creating one now. I will add him to the OP.

LOL

Nemesis_

Yup! I posted in the RE6 thread saying I would do the OT. Another member contacted me and offered to provide graphics. We both got pretty excited and I drew out a pretty basic skeleton of the post just so I would be organised as I know this is a big game.

Then a few moments later I get a PM from a mod saying cvxfreak wanted to do it himself "since it's kind of tradition", but didn't say anything to anyone (except he apparently spoke to a mod behind my back and got them to pretty much bar me from making said topic).

I replied to mod and cvxfreak apparently will "let me make the demo topic" if I wanted to. To which point you can imagine what I said. I am apparently allowed to contribute to the topic but ResidentEvil-GAF is so cliquey that I know what that exactly means.

I PMed EviLore to ask if that's even okay but I've yet to receive a response from him and the mod responsible for cock blocking my request to make an RE6 OT has also stopped replying to my PMs.

So cvxfreak got his way without speaking a single word to me, and I guess there's not much more I can do on the matter. I am of course, disappointed with how I've been treated and how the whole thing has been handled.

I'll just keep putting hours into updating this OP and indexing the threads that aren't claimed here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lame! And slimey! What's the point of this thread if you're just going to handwave the rules like that?

Yup! I posted in the RE6 thread saying I would do the OT. Another member contacted me and offered to provide graphics. We both got pretty excited and I drew out a pretty basic skeleton of the post just so I would be organised as I know this is a big game.

Then a few moments later I get a PM from a mod saying cvxfreak wanted to do it himself "since it's kind of tradition", but didn't say anything to anyone (except he apparently spoke to a mod behind my back and got them to pretty much bar me from making said topic).

I replied to mod and cvxfreak apparently will "let me make the demo topic" if I wanted to. To which point you can imagine what I said. I am apparently allowed to contribute to the topic but ResidentEvil-GAF is so cliquey that I know what that exactly means.

I PMed EviLore to ask if that's even okay but I've yet to receive a response from him and the mod responsible for cock blocking my request to make an RE6 OT has also stopped replying to my PMs.

So cvxfreak got his way without speaking a single word to me, and I guess there's not much more I can do on the matter. I am of course, disappointed with how I've been treated and how the whole thing has been handled.

I'll just keep putting hours into updating this OP and indexing the threads that aren't claimed here.

that's pretty foul, hopefully this gets overturned by some mods that have common sense

btw your effort in organizing the stuff in this thread is def appreciated

Disclaimer: I like cvxfreak.

But I have been noticing this is not extremely uncommon, either. Not with him, just in general. Certain people who are friendly with mods get to cut in line, as it were. Insert excuse why here.

I can't imagine anything with lower stakes than OT thread creation, but that doesn't prevent it from being a total dick move.

Volcynika

I could say more, but yeah. That's basically a pretty shitty thing to do.

The unknown mod should have a better explanation than "tradition." I dunno. Maybe we'll get a good explanation that's not using that angle.

Otherwise what's the point of this thread and people showing interest in doing things for the community if they might unexpectedly get shut down for arbitrary reasons that don't fall under the guidelines in the OP?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Dude I feel for you. This is kind of a crappy way to deal with the situation. We have an OT claim thread for a reason. It's so stuff like this doesn't happen and we have an organized way. If people are "cheating" their way into making the OT, that's stupid. If a mod is involved in this to promote this kind of behavior, it's highly unprofessional.

Nemesis_

It does annoy me, but I think the fact that nobody is talking back to me about the situation speaks louder. It's a shame because I really didn't think this kind of thing would happen and I thought maybe contacting someone else might have fixed the problem, but what do you know! It's even more obvious the more I think about that that this has happened previously with this topic.

I'll pick up the Mortal Kombat Vita OT if no one else had plans to do it. Going to day one it anyway so why not.

Added you to the OP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am trying to get an answer for you guys as well, obviously the process has failed here. Please continue to use this thread to plan OTs. I am sorry I don't have an answer right now, I need to talk with the other mods to find out who has been saying what and where the communication fell apart, and because of our very disparate timezones it can sometimes take a while to track stuff down.

I do know that the premise of this thread is for people to "Volunteer", "coordinate", and "create". This is the intended point of the thread. And like I expressed on the last page, the intention is also that users work together rather than have everything arbitrated by moderators. Obviously there are cases where that doesn't happen.

I'll post in this thread when I've figured stuff out.

frontieruk

I am trying to get an answer for you guys as well, obviously the process has failed here. Please continue to use this thread to plan OTs. I am sorry I don't have an answer right now, I need to talk with the other mods to find out who has been saying what and where the communication fell apart, and because of our very disparate timezones it can sometimes take a while to track stuff down.

I do know that the premise of this thread is for people to "Volunteer", "coordinate", and "create". This is the intended point of the thread. And like I expressed on the last page, the intention is also that users work together rather than have everything arbitrated by moderators. Obviously there are cases where that doesn't happen.

I'll post in this thread when I've figured stuff out.

Thank-you for taking the time to investigate, it's quite disheartening to see what happened to nemesis, as I'm sure as he'd openly accepted help with his planned OT from cvxfreak, I understand Gaf has its traditions, but this does seem extreme.

cvxfreak

Hey, thanks for posting this. I think you definitely made many great points and I apologize that this all turned out in a way that would make it seem like you were being treated unfairly. I was definitely wrong in not contacting you directly. I initially took the route I did because I didn't want to create a public argument over something like OTs, and I realized you made this very thread in the first place, so I asked a mod to communicate on my behalf. It wasn't done intentionally to make it seem like I was using mod influence to get my way, but in hindsight, it was very naive for me to have not made that assumption.

I made the mistake of not catching wind of this thread sooner, and I think that matters more than "tradition."

I think it's only fair that I apologize for the trouble and relinquish the thread-making privilege to you as you claimed. I hope you an forgive me for this mess and not hesitate to talk about RE6 with me in the coming months. I also look forward to contributing to your awesome OT when they both hit. :)

Again with many apologies,
-cvx

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cvx has replied here, and I'm sure there will be a good resolution on the RE6 issue. WE ARE FRIENDS AGAIN! I'll be out of town for the next while, so another mod is going to take point on any other moderation stuff related to the RE6 thing.

Now, for the other stuff...

(Although I'm not the mod involved) I'm sorry on behalf of moderation generally that there was a breakdown in communication or that anyone felt or perceived that people were doing "favours" for others. No one is owed anything.

There's a bit in the terms of service: " Please keep in mind that there is no tenure granted on this forum--your post count or association with other posters does not protect you from being banned." -- the same goes for other non-banning stuff; just because you've been here for a long time or you know people does not entitle you to anything different than anyone else. I can't say that there's never ever been a case of someone being treated differently, but we try our best and I hope you'll trust me personally that by and large our moderation is pretty even-handed and moderators police each other. As far as I can tell this situation was mostly a failure in communication rather than any kind of deliberate abuse. If you perceived it was the latter, that's our fault and I hope in the future we do a better job. I spoke with other mods who were available this morning to try to figure out where to go from here. If, in the future, a moderator seems to contradict any of this, please politely point them toward this post and encourage them to consult with other moderators.

This post can serve as a general policy for future OT disputes (unrelated to the RE6 issue):

- It is important that people work together on OTs. No one should claim an OT because they feel they are owed it. No one "deserves" it more than someone else. People should work together. If more than one person wants to do it, users should sort out amongst themselves who does the thread primarily, and should be willing to take contributions from other users. If a user really, sincerely feels that things can't be worked out with other interested parties (if one person is not responding or if two users have very different ideas for a thread and are not willing to post them both with one as an "alternate" OP inside the OT), they should contact a mod. User-to-user communication should be the first step.

- Some people have claimed OTs as a sort of historical matter; either they claimed it before this thread was created, or they didn't know about this thread and claimed it somewhere else, or they did an OT for a previous game in the series and want to follow up but didn't know they had to make it explicit. This is going to happen. People who "get their first" are not "owed" the thread, but neither are people who "officially claim it in here". This whole thread should be viewed as a platform for communication with other users, not a way to exclusively claim something. If a conflict comes up in who should work on something, please work together.

- Please don't feel hurt if you have to work with someone else. It doesn't mean you love the game any less, and it doesn't mean your contributions to GAF or to that thread aren't valued. It's a big community. Besides, if you feel like you have something to add that doesn't fit into the |OT| of the game, you can always reply with content; like, if you make some forum avatars and they don't end up included in the |OT| OP--no reason why you can't reply to the thread with them.

If in the future the size or nature of GAF shifts in such a way that anything I've said here is out of date, I will do my best to update or remove this--if I'm not around, another moderator or administrator will do the same. I worked with several other mods to come up with this, but not every mod was available at the time, so others might have some input or additional pointers. If you have questions or comments, please reply here. Moderators including myself will delete future replies which are primarily "venting" about moderation or gossip-type stuff--you guys can do that off-site, there's no need to derail this thread. :)

ShadiWulf

OK I'm in need of help with the Rhythm Theif OT, I got the graphics under control, but I need help the content and stuff like that. I keep getting sidetracked. So if there is someone who would want to help with that, that would be great!

Nemesis_

Hey, thanks for posting this. I think you definitely made many great points and I apologize that this all turned out in a way that would make it seem like you were being treated unfairly. I was definitely wrong in not contacting you directly. I initially took the route I did because I didn't want to create a public argument over something like OTs, and I realized you made this very thread in the first place, so I asked a mod to communicate on my behalf. It wasn't done intentionally to make it seem like I was using mod influence to get my way, but in hindsight, it was very naive for me to have not made that assumption.

I made the mistake of not catching wind of this thread sooner, and I think that matters more than "tradition."

I think it's only fair that I apologize for the trouble and relinquish the thread-making privilege to you as you claimed. I hope you an forgive me for this mess and not hesitate to talk about RE6 with me in the coming months. I also look forward to contributing to your awesome OT when they both hit. :)

Again with many apologies,
-cvx

I think now I am ready to respond and close this issue >_>

I am glad that you see things eye to eye with how I saw them myself. I was personally thinking that I was going a little bit crazy and that I would eventualy get banned and banished from GAF forever, never to be seen again for making such a "noise" about this.

I do feel a little bit bad bringing this to the public eye but it was easier just to post it here than continue to answer the numerous PMs asking me what happened. So I do apologise for publicly calling you out.

Thanks for turning the thread over in the end, anyway.

I'll be in touch if I hit any hurdles on the way. I'm glad we sorted this out anyway, leaving it to breed animosity would've not been helpful at all.

I'd also like to thank Stumpokapow for handing this professionally and actually listening to me. I appreciate that more than ever.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
You guys are so level-headed, I love it. *group hug*

So guys, I want to run something by you, and hopefully if a mod could chime in it would be great. I'm from Saudi Arabia, and my friend developed a game I co-produced and wrote music for. The game is called Simudroids. Here's the synopsis and a screenshot:

'Simudroids'

Simudroids is an arcade action-platformer. You play as Professor Beathäus, a brilliant but oppressed scientist/beatmaster ousted by his totalitarian government whose outdated laws prevent the Professor from safely conducting his experiments without fear of being silenced. Beathäus takes to his secret underground lab to develop a security defense system known as the Simudroid Rhythmic Attack Algorithm (SRAA) - bots that suppress unwanted visitors to the rhythm of the music. The Professor has designed several simulation facilities to test out this system. Defective/slow Simudroids will be disposed of using tools designed by Beathäus. Rack up the highest score you possibly can by surviving the onslaught of Simudroids.

cDE5W.png

This is a Saudi-developed game and it's very important to us that people notice that there's a thriving dev and music scene that society is just not ready to accept. So just like with my albums, I come to you GAF. I was wondering if it is considered okay to make an OT for a flash game that I think people will enjoy and would want to compare scores. Something like the /ESCAPE\ thread but a bit more comprehensive, possibly including links to download the music for free.

Maybe it's a bit selfish of me to want to be the exception to the rule, so if I can't be given the opportunity to make the OT, can anyone do me a solid and post it for me? The game is nearing completion and we plan to post it up on Kongregate hopefully in the coming weeks.

Thanks everyone.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dibs on Sony E3 2012 conference thread. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lame, I did the past 2 E3 ones. ;_;

ULTROS!

Yeah, I PMed him about it. :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Btw, Nemesis, please remove the Seeker Banner/Graphical Collaboration for the Darksiders II OT. I got it covered.

DarkKyo

Now that Super MNC is available to the public(in "release" form) I've created an OT for Super Monday Night Combat complete with flashy graphics and the works. I didn't realize that the SMNC thread on the gaming forum was official as it was made long before public release of SMNC and it was kind of a beta discussion thread(and didnt really have graphics or anything very OT)... Then I came here and realized that the OT was claimed for it under that thread that already exists. Anyone know what my options are at this point? I put a lot of work into my OT so I'll be pretty bummed if I can't do anything with it. Should I just throw it out or maybe contact the original OT maker to see if I can post the improved one or work together with him?

frontieruk

Now that Super MNC is available to the public(in "release" form) I've created an OT for Super Monday Night Combat complete with flashy graphics and the works. I didn't realize that the SMNC thread on the gaming forum was official as it was made long before public release of SMNC and it was kind of a beta discussion thread(and didnt really have graphics or anything very OT)... Then I came here and realized that the OT was claimed for it under that thread that already exists. Anyone know what my options are at this point? I put a lot of work into my OT so I'll be pretty bummed if I can't do anything with it. Should I just throw it out or maybe contact the original OT maker to see if I can post the improved one or work together with him?

Contact the current OT OP, see if you can sort out updating the current one, if the community is using it as the OT posting a new one will either see it locked or disappearing in a death of inactivity

FireCloud

Sorry if this has been addressed already. What is the protocol for |OT| threads that have been claimed by users who are later banned?

I noticed that Takao claimed the Gravity Rush |OT| but has since been banned. I don't know if that is a permanent ban or not.

Does that make the |OT| up for grabs? Can we update the OP when we find such orphaned |OT| threads to indicate that they are available?

I'm not claiming it but would like to see an |OT| for that game when it comes out.

frontieruk

Sorry if this has been addressed already. What is the protocol for |OT| threads that have been claimed by users who are later banned?

I noticed that Takao claimed the Gravity Rush |OT| but has since been banned. I don't know if that is a permanent ban or not.

Does that make the |OT| up for grabs? Can we update the OP when we find such orphaned |OT| threads to indicate that they are available?

I'm not claiming it but would like to see an |OT| for that game when it comes out.

Good question, especially with all the recent bannings

DarkKyo

Contact the current OT OP, see if you can sort out updating the current one, if the community is using it as the OT posting a new one will either see it locked or disappearing in a death of inactivity
I PM'ed him to see if we could work something out. Sadly it looks like he only visits the boards every now and then, last he posted was early April... Ah well, hope he gets it soonish.

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom