• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong (not sexualised) female characters in this generation?

Ledsen

Blizzard said:
Is that your definition of "sexy"? :p "Sexy" and "sexualized" are two different things.

It does seem kind of funny that people are posting female characters with blatant stylized underwear as non-sexualized characters.

Kreia from Knights of the Old republic might be strong, I'm not sure. I do like Faith as people mentioned.

...what? How would they portray her as a woman? Does a woman have to act differently than a man in that situation?
What I'm saying is that she's not a strong female character. She's an alpha male, just like the other gears, except like someone else said, they constantly have to point put how she's actually female but wow, she can kick ass just like the boys! She's boring and pointless.

bhlaab

I haven't played Gears 3 but Anya does look fairly Token Female and having seen that the black character loudly professes his love for grain alcohol I'm not in a benefit-of-the-doubt kind of mood

Yuripaw

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
This is a pretty good pick. One of the best female characters Japan has produced.

That's part of what makes that game so great to me, and why the ending makes such an impact I think. Emily was such a well done character, and it's hard not to like her, but she gets victimized in such a tragic way, and I love that ending because it was really sad what happened to her. DP is going to live as one of the most under rated cult classics of video games for a long time I think. Even with it's flaws, it's always gonna be up there on my list of favorites.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Bonnie from red dead (her body language in many scenes is shockingly telling about her, pretty impressive.) Her subtle wishing Marston wasn't married/faithful is fucking heartbreaking.

Emily from Deadly Premonition. One character sexualized her and another love her but she isn't "sexualized" just because she isn't ugly/undesirable.

Anya/Sam from Gears 3. Haven't finished yet but the fact they are women hasn't really mattered at all. Shit has gone bad and everyone needs to grab a lancer and fucking fight.

Chie from Persona 4, you can "date" her but it certainly isn't sexual. She is hilarious but super protective of her friends.

Mitsuro from Persona 3 She is also "dateable" but not sexually imo, also doesn't really where anything skimpy unless you equip her with the gimmick outfits. Only time sex and her are brought up is when the creeper in your party sees her in her swimsuit at the beach. She is smart/strong but super businesslike.

Ellie from Deadspace 2/Lt from Space Marine - Both secondary characters but are bad ass without being comically perfect killing machine's that happen to have boobs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Lieutenant Mira
KliU2.png

Sad Mira is sad she isnt mentioned more often in this thread....As i went through the game i kept thinking to myself, damn this chick is fucking badass.
She really really needs more exposure

Other pretty badass chicks.

Catherine from Halo Reach
6eiLM.jpg

Some of the Sisters of Battle (fuck what you heard)
1275122010118.jpg

Inquisitor Adrastia
Dawn-of-War-2-Retribution-Cinematic.jpg

Durante

IoCaster said:
emma.jpg

Emma Honeywell

One of the best female characters ever.
I'd like to add another vote for her. Unlike some of the characters mentioned in this thread she has a few traditional female personality traits, but they only add to her being a strong character. And she's obviously not sexualized (really, almost none of the characters in the game are).

I'm currently playing TLR, and there's a surprising amount of pretty good characters in the game. I think they are underappreciated simply because there's a rather large number of them in the game, and not that many people played it.

Mephala

Des0lar said:
The Other M Thread got me thinking... What are your favorite female characters in recent years, that are not overly sexualised.
I'm talking huge boobs, constant ass-shots, being completly stupid and helpless in a world full of manly man heroes.

I think this will cause some differing opinions here.

Shanoa
Her back is exposed but that makes sense since she absorbs Glyphs there. I don't think she isn't overly sexualised at all. Her personality is almost non-existant but to say she is not strong would be pretty unfair.
P9U06.jpg

Another vote for Emma Honeywell and to a slightly lessor extent
Emmy who has a prettier face and less experience.
Emma fits perfectly. While not overly powerful like Selvaria, she is one of the Four Generals of Athlum and her family is known throughout the lands as a great fighter.
gmdQf.jpg

Lin and Tasha
They are Commanding Officers, you don't get that position for being weak.
tcuHh.jpg
LV0hs.jpg

Ozma
A Templar Commando (or Knight Commander), a highly ranked knight in the game. She is also the fastest character with one of the best unique classes who can access one of the best equipment sets.
lYAJQ.png

t4Bix.jpg

Yuki
I'm not going to venture into whether tank tops or stumps = sexualised. She is strong, doesn't have constant ass-shots or very noticeable boob bouncing etc.
GDlsM.png

AAK

yencid said:
swGvK.jpg

ellen from folklore.

She was definitely sexualized in the game:

E13.png
E14.png

But I guess the general rule of thumb that non sexualized females in videogames are the tomobyish looking & acting ones.

vareon

Another voice for Last Remnant's Emma Honeywell. I was actually surprised that I can find such character in the game. The scene where she alone fought the Conqueror was also good.

Rahxephon91 said:
Eva from mgs3 & 4

She's pretty sexualised in 4 and even more so in 3.

i dont think she was sexualised at all, shes a spy and shes using an avantage in a warzone filled with men. It works for her character

kinggroin

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
OP didn't want a wankfest, which narrowed the picks by 99%

Ha, OK.

I personally don't see anything wrong with sexualized characters, be it male or female, weak or strong. The problem isn't characters like trin or bayonetta than it the overwhelming representation of characters like them. Balance is key, but money talks. Until there is a monetary incentive to push "stronger" non-sexualized females to the forefront, things will remain as they are.

Though folks saying what we do have means women are being set back or whatever bullshit, are trying way too hard. All this unbalance does is paint a very negative view of the male-dominated games industry and attached stigma for those participating in it.

Kinyou

RyL said:
this gen: none, nada, nichts, zero

I think sexualizing starts when the main character or NPC is expected/has to be (overly) beautiful to be considered strong and noteworthy. Back in the days technology was the limiting factor but what's wrong with adding some "imperfections" with today's tech? You know like giving them "normal" sized breasts, don't make them ass monster for once or more face specific, add some dark circles under the eyes or how about eye bags, lines, beauty spots (birthmarks, sunspots, brown dots or whatever you call them) etc. you name it.

Even people who are considered pretty (in real life) have to deal with their fair share of blemishes. That's why most female videogame character still look like lifeless barbie dolls to me. Videogame artists don't seem to have any problems making their male counterparts all rough and wrinkly, so it's definitely not a hardware-limitation issue.

And don't get me started about the actual persona and characteristics of female characters in videogames. Pretty much all of them seem to have the mindset of a 12 year old girl or worse.

It's so sad that you really have to think hard to come up with something. Well, some will argue that videogames are still a new medium... but to be honest, gaming really isn't anymore.

// also, I had a good laugh at all the guys who posted the uncharted bubble butt monster Chloe
But... but Bonnie from Red Dead Redemption fulfills every single one of your conditions...

Rdr_bonnie_macfarlane_square.jpg

Desi

AAK said:
She was definitely sexualized in the game:
I came to a consensus earlier in the thread that only default outfits count. So all this extra boyshorts, ankle length skirts, and pirate hats don't count.

Novid

Banned
yipes.

Demon Souls wins out. The Gears Girls are reverse moe which is just as bad as "normal" moe.

Its way too rare for a non sexualised female to succeed, but then again the writers have been conformed to the same baby-making tropes for years now. Its not gonna change. Thats the way Male Mainstream media wants it. If you want more stronger female video game personae, get writers that dont play that "Slut/Virgin/BabyMaking Body game.

Lt. Mira from Wh40k, don't care she's not a deep and complex character. She's still noteable. She's in-charge of a group of rag-tag soldiers fighting a hopeless battle against a Ork invasion and she still gets them to hold the ****g line and she doesn't even have to execute her soldier's to get them to man-up and fight.

Alyx. She's a normal person like Gordon fighting against the Combine. She isn't sexualized, she isn't weak. She acts more the main character then Gordon.

RyL said:
this gen: none, nada, nichts, zero

I think sexualizing starts when the main character or NPC is expected/has to be (overly) beautiful to be considered strong and noteworthy. Back in the days technology was the limiting factor but what's wrong with adding some "imperfections" with today's tech? You know like giving them "normal" sized breasts, don't make them ass monster for once or more face specific, add some dark circles under the eyes or how about eye bags, lines, beauty spots (birthmarks, sunspots, brown dots or whatever you call them) etc. you name it.

Even people who are considered pretty (in real life) have to deal with their fair share of blemishes. That's why most female videogame character still look like lifeless barbie dolls to me. Videogame artists don't seem to have any problems making their male counterparts all rough and wrinkly, so it's definitely not a hardware-limitation issue.

And don't get me started about the actual persona and characteristics of female characters in videogames. Pretty much all of them seem to have the mindset of a 12 year old girl or worse.

It's so sad that you really have to think hard to come up with something. Well, some will argue that videogames are still a new medium... but to be honest, gaming really isn't anymore.

// also, I had a good laugh at all the guys who posted the uncharted bubble butt monster Chloe
You're wrong but I'm more astounded by the fact that you think Chloe has a bubble butt.

Fugu

Durante said:
Unlike some of the characters mentioned in this thread she has a few traditional female personality traits, but they only add to her being a strong character.
The notion that femininity is in contrast to strength is a much larger affront to aspiring girls than all of the Tomb Raider 2-era Lara Crofts in the world.

How about a really fat female character that's badass? Like the size of The Blob. Most of these females posted here are young and in tip-top shape.

Xilium

Relaxed Muscle said:
So not sexualized means for the most part, women that dress and act like men?....
That seems to be slowly becoming the definition of a "strong female" in games. Why a strong female can't also be feminine is beyond me.

MechaX

Mephala said:
Another vote for Emma Honeywell and to a slightly lessor extent
Emmy who has a prettier face and less experience.
Emma fits perfectly. While not overly powerful like Selvaria, she is one of the Four Generals of Athlum and her family is known throughout the lands as a great fighter.
gmdQf.jpg

I'm putting down my vote for Emma Honeywell as well. Even if you move the goal posts by including certain articles of clothing as "sexualized" (ie, Shanoa being called out for her boots, Selvaria being called out for her giant breasts, Franziska being called out for her whip, Bonnie MacFarland oddly being called out for
being raped and having to be rescued, despite how she played it off was testament to her strong personality alone
, Emma just doesn't even fit into any of those molds. Hell, she doesn't even come across as "a Barbie Doll" or anything since she looks very, very battle wizened. Plus, her actual personality comes across as very believable and does not try to push to the other extreme of "Hey, let's have this female character be as sexist/insecure about working with men as possible!", which is very odd considering this is a JRPG.

Shtof

Ledsen said:
That's exactly the problem. She's not portrayed as a woman, she's a man with tits.
Epic_trollface.jpeg

I agree that she's a useless character, though. Just like the girl in Killzone 3.

Durante

Fugu said:
The notion that femininity is in contrast to strength is a much larger affront to aspiring girls than all of the Tomb Raider 2-era Lara Crofts in the world.
Exactly, that's why Emma is a much better example than most others posted in this thread (at least those where I've played the associated games).

Xilium said:
That seems to be slowly becoming the definition of a "strong female" in games. Why a strong female can't also be feminine is beyond me.

They're acting like females in real life always wear conservative clothing all the time and that they don't something like to wear more revealing clothing...

The Boat

Kiiji said:
You realize that TP shows Zelda surrendering her entire kingdom to Zant in order to save her own life, right? She's also kept as a prisoner for the majority of the game. Not to mention that many of the characters in the game (especially Midna, and Zelda herself included IIRC) constantly remind you that she is completely detached from the average citizen and can't understand suffering (especially the Twili's). The only heroic things she does are at the very end of the game.
Um...
she surrenders the kingdom to Zant, to save the people from being slaughtered, not to save herself. In order words she did the smart thing. I don't recall anything in particular showing that she or Midna are detached from the average citizen any more than a monarch usually is.
She also gives up her whole magic power which was protecting her from Twilight's Magic to save Midna, which led to her being possessed.

Monocle

Dr. Catherine Halsey from the Halo series. Her only onscreen appearance is in Reach, but through Cortana (who originated from a cloned copy of Dr. Halsey's brain) she's very much present in the main trilogy. Further, being the mastermind of the Spartan-II program, her influence is entrenched throughout the series, though less overtly felt in ODST.

The Halo novels establish Dr. Halsey as a woman of devastating brilliance and subtlety who has paid a heavy emotional toll to place her genius in the service of humanity. Without her foresight and the consequent measures she took to avert her race's extinction, the Covenant's genocidal campaign would have succeeded.

I haven't done the character justice. There's a lot more to her that I don't have time to explain just now. I might add more to this post later on.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Relaxed Muscle said:
So not sexualized means for the most part, women that dress and act like men?....

It's really not that. I'll try to explain more properly.
If women work in a hospital, they wear hospital clothes. No biggie. Most of the games do this.
If women go on a jungle expedition, they wear protective clothing.
If women fight in battle, they should wear extensive protective plate armour. But what do games portray?

129116353614762165.jpg

exactly this. And not only fantasy games fall into the category: Why is she wearing this? It doesn't make any sense.
No, not ALL women in games should be without breasts, small ass, mens clothing, but it needs to fit the theme.
If I go into the nightclub in ME2, and there are Asari girls being nearly topless, that's absolutely OK because girls like to look hot, when they're going out.

Then there are the games, in which women are complete idiots, just doing what men order them to do, or they are like in Gears of War, women who constantly need to be reminded how unwoman and awesome they are. That's also a form of sexualisation imo.

Xilium

Zoramon089 said:
They're acting like females in real life always wear conservative clothing all the time and that they don't something like to wear more revealing clothing...
It's not even just from an outward appearance though that is what is often brought up.

They're expected to be cold-hearted bitches that don't take orders from anyone, especially a man. Their personalities are either non-existent or androgynous, bordering on masculine. They're not allowed to like or associate with anything that would be seen as a female centric pleasure or activity as that is a sign of weakness. For a lot of these so-called strong females, you could replace their character model with a dude and most people wouldn't even notice they were meant to be females. As someone stated earlier, they are just men with breast.

It all seems backwards to me as I thought the point of the feminist movement (which seems to have recently worked its way heavily into the gaming community, though mostly from guys) was to show that women were equal to men and could do anything men could do WITHOUT sacrificing their womanhood. Otherwise, you're just proving that men are better by saying that women have to give up everything that makes them a woman in order to compete with a man by essentially mirroring everything men do in fashion, hobbies, personality traits, ect.

charsace

Xilium said:
It's not even just from an outward appearance though that is what is often brought up.

They're expected to be cold-hearted bitches that don't take orders from anyone, especially a man. Their personalities are either non-existent or androgynous, bordering on masculine. They're not allowed to like or associate with anything that would be seen as a female centric pleasure or activity as that is a sign of weakness. For a lot of these so-called strong females, you could replace their character model with a dude and most people wouldn't even notice they were meant to be females. As someone stated earlier, they are just men with breast.

It all seems backwards to me as I thought the point of the feminist movement (which seems to have recently worked its way heavily into the gaming community, though mostly from guys) was to show that women were equal to men and could do anything men could do WITHOUT sacrificing their womanhood. Otherwise, you're just proving that men are better by saying that women have to give up everything that makes them a woman in order to compete with a man by essentially mirroring everything men do in fashion, hobbies, personality traits, ect.
I'm not against women in games showing feminine qualities. What I'm against is impractical bullshit. which is what you see a lot of in games. Shit like male characters doing tight rolls to avoid damage while women do things like cartwheels that still makes them a big target. Movement animations where female characters legs are crossing when moving. Women wearing sking tight, restrictive clothing. Just a bunch of impractical, illogical nonsense that's done to make female characters look sexy when they move.

This is Lightning's outfit in FF13:
Final_Fantasy_XIII_Lightning_costume_ver_01-1-05.jpg

Keep in mind this is supposed to be a military outfit.

This is Lightning's armor in FF13-2:
830px-FFXIII-2_Lightning.jpg

This is supposed to protect her? Is there a logical reason why she doesn't have hard leather or chain mail underneath the hard armor? It defeats the purpose of armor to have wide open, unprotected pars of the body. To me its mind boggling that a company can use this as an armor design and expect everyone to take it seriously.

In reaction to what armor Lightning is wearing (and this extends to all characters) whether or not I take issue with female attire is associated with what the males are wearing too. If the women wear shorts in battle and the guys are bare chested with cute little vests, I don't really have a problem. Attire is individualized to the character with the main point being to look exotic and attractive, regardless of sex.

Where I would have a problem is if all the men were running around in plate mail while the women were stuck with chain mail bikinis.

In other words, I only have problems with clothes when female characters are dressed as eye candy while all the men are wearing "serious business" clothes. If everyone in a game were running around in speedos and bikinis well, that would be weird, but I'd roll with it.

charsace

DragonGirl said:
In reaction to what armor Lightning is wearing (and this extends to all characters) whether or not I take issue with female attire is associated with what the males are wearing too. If the women wear shorts in battle and the guys are bare chested with cute little vests, I don't really have a problem. Attire is individualized to the character with the main point being to look exotic and attractive, regardless of sex.

Where I would have a problem is if all the men were running around in plate mail while the women were stuck with chain mail bikinis.
She's supposed to be in the military in FF13. That doesn't look like something the military would give you. And her FF13-2 armor is impractical. Is there some reason why it couldn't be like this:
Joan%20of%20Arc.jpg

joan_arc-capture.jpg

lionheart-kings-crusade1

JoanOfArc_Final.jpg

397970-83528-joan-of-arc_large.jpg

A woman in full body armor and these pics have feminine touches to them. The armor actually protects too.

Top Bottom