• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

boiled goose

good with gravy
The only thing I dont like about the new lara croft is the face. Sure she is attractive, but too perfectly attractive. Looks like a clone of Jessica Alba.

The old lara croft had more interesting, less traditionally beautiful features ( darker seeming complexion, wide set eyes, etc. She was more racially ambiguous and unique looking. Now she looks like a white brunette model. It is overall a more generic and less iconic look.

tomb-raider-underworld.jpg

Tomb-Raider-reboot-006.jpg

Requeim

Again, calling the original Dante design out for being generic emo bs seems a tad weird to me, since the design is from a year 2001 game. Just saying

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Don't think anyone posted this yet.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler:

P2-Hitler.jpg

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler... on PSP:

tumblr_lzghwvReXn1r2xy16.png

He's fucking awesome on the PSP. Well... as awesome as one of history's least awesome people gets, but I digress!

I'd say it's an improvement IMO, but that's not my opinion. It is fact.

Even though there is barely any consistency in the FE universe, I find these new character designs to be a huuuuuge step down from previous ones.

Going from this

Fire_Emblem_Background_by_BritTheMighty.jpg

to this

fire-emblem-3ds-screenshot-and-artwork-646x325.jpg

really gets to me.

This. I really wonder why Senri Kita isn't working on this. I think her style fits Fire Emblem perfectly. The new style they're using just looks really bland.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I didn't think HGSS Ethan was bad design compared to Gold, but all the CG of him definitely is low tier stuff. In game he's fine though.

Requeim

Holy fuck at that gold pic, both funny and true, hahaha

I also loved the design of the pokemon Crystal player character (Kris?). Pretty much one of the only times i have made my player character female, when given the choice.

Cartman86

Banned
Based on what we've heard Tomb Raider is going to about a pretty women getting the shit kicked out of her in a hellish situation and how she uses her own strength to overcome the odds? Yeah totally sexist.

Oh and she grunts a lot when she's in pain. Based on this I don't see a problem. Who knows what the final game will bring though.

Don't think anyone posted this yet.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler:

P2-Hitler.jpg

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler... on PSP:

tumblr_lzghwvReXn1r2xy16.png

He's fucking awesome on the PSP. Well... as awesome as one of history's least awesome people gets, but I digress!

I'd say it's an improvement IMO, but that's not my opinion. It is fact.

I approve

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
well she looks more realistic sure
but its not the hilariously exaggerated videogame sex symbol people are used to

Reboot. The point.

Your head.

Jill's Biohazard 5 redesign wasn't bad, just fucking stupid and the blonde hair didn't help any. On the bright side, BSAA Jill neck snapping Majini's with her thighs at least made that dismal outing worth it.

Revelations redesign is horrible, though, yeah.

Dead

well not really...yet
The devolution of Shion Uzuki:

Xenogears Episode I concept art
fFACD.jpg

Xenosaga Episode I
nt46km.jpg

Xenosaga Episode II
RCGer.jpg

Xenosaga Episode III
ZJzlx.jpg
Ep 3 is the best imo

Ep 1 is too doll-ish, ep 2 just went too over the top in terms of realism. Ep 3 struck the right balance imo.

HikXB.jpg

This is still the only Megaman I accept. The X series wins no favors design-wise for me, aside from the character who's blatantly just Boba Fett.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Meryl is awful in MGS4 from what I've seen.

She was more or less normal in MGS. Guess it's a change similar to the RE characters, they were mostly normal in RE1 too.

clemenx

Banned
I agree with the OP on Lara Croft. I don't see the appeal of striving for realism on everything.
It does not look like Justin Bieber, though.

udivision

I agree with you on gold. I do feel they made Red look better than his old counterpart.

I can't say much about the two Golds, but the new Red is my favorite Pokemon character design, period. He's the guy you see in the cave, the old design is some doofus.

Because I haven't seen it posted in full yet:
sBpbF.png

Poor Crash :(
Only the 2005 image shows some of the charming cracked-out look we saw in the actual gameplay of 1996 Crash. He didn't really change until those weird primal tats showed up.

I freaking love Revalations Jill, though I was never all that attached to her beret look.

Peaves of mine, characters being chibi all the sudden, or super-deformed characters going all pop idol.

Castlevania Judgment is the worst shit ever.

D-Pad

My intent upon entering this thread was to post the Castlevania Judgment characters, but I see that's been taken care of. Personally I like the designs, but thinking back, I'm pretty damn glad Soma Cruz didn't make the cut. :p

You must be thinking of Megaman X. The most badass Megaman design of them all. I MEAN LOOK AT THOSE FEET.

Those feet are exactly the reason I can't stand the older Mega Man designs. :<

Also, that 2005 Crash looks the best of those. He has character.

raven777

Not really. Modern Sonic's design really is awful. Overly long legs, comically large quills, that horrible smirk. Not to mention he opens his mouth, and the design is associated with some truly horrific games. The kids love it. He's EXTREME. But I'd take Classic Sonic's design any day.

Looks like someone posted Simon Belmont. Modern Simon is just awful, and I'm a fan of Death Note. UGH.

Playing Revelaitons right now, and I can't stand the new Jill design. From:

QaNyZ.jpg
r38aY.jpg

to:

ciy33.jpg
gCdVi.jpg

What happened? =(

I haven't finished RE5, but do they actually explain why Jill's hair turned blond in RE5?

iavi

Disappoint @ new in-game Laura. Talk about misleading.

Edit: Maturity. Kaneko grew into a style of his own, and it definitely payed off, imo.

Top Bottom