• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 demo on both XBLA/PSN in December very likely!

Dahbomb

Nemesis556 said:
No I was just wondering whether or not they have time to make a demo.
Demo has been made since January 07 buddy. It's probably going to be the same one with some tweaks and just put on XBLM/PSN.

duckroll

Dahbomb said:
Demo has been made since January 07 buddy. It's probably going to be the same one with some tweaks and just put on XBLM/PSN.

I doubt it's the same demo. I was in Japan in March this year and played the demo at a store demo station. It was the TGS 06 demo with Nero in the citadel, not Dante. The current demo that has a timed Dante citadel demo + Nero vs ice and fire bosses is definitely newer than Jan 07.

Guled

Nice, I played the demo at X07 and really enjoyed it. The only drawback to this is all the fighting between the 2 systems

raheel87

This might be a stupid question but looking at the controller config, why do they even have taunt? Do you get more points for using it?

Dahbomb

duckroll said:
The current demo that has a timed Dante citadel demo + Nero vs ice and fire bosses is definitely newer than Jan 07.
There is a timed Dante citadel demo? WTF where? I didn't know Dante was made playable to the general public. That is news to me.

In that case it would be that demo. Whatever demo we get it's going to one that is the latest one and I think it's that one.

raheel87 said:
This might be a stupid question but looking at the controller config, why do they even have taunt? Do you get more points for using it?
You know that style ranking bar on the right? Performing a taunt raises the style bar one whole grade. Your style ranking is transformed into Stylish points at the end of the level and depending on how well you performed you get that many orbs for it (orbs that can be used as currency to level up your character). Taunt also increases your Devil Trigger but Nero doesn't have DT yet so it only affects his Style ranking.

duckroll

Dahbomb said:
There is a timed Dante citadel demo? WTF where? I didn't know Dante was made playable to the general public. That is news to me.

In that case it would be that demo. Whatever demo we get it's going to one that is the latest one and I think it's that one.

Maybe I'm mistaken, I've been sleeping most of the day and feeling kinda unwell. But I remember seeing a video 2 days ago of Dante in the citadel? Maybe it was just Nero and I'm imagining things, they look kinda similar. :(

raheel87 said:

For stylish combos! why else would he taunt? :D
The more awesome your combos are, the more red orbs you get, putting a taunt in the middle of a combo makes them awesomer.

duckroll

Sorry, I checked. It's Nero in both demo areas. But it's still definitely not the same demo as the one I played in March. :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Cant get enough of this game. Any new vids or images just make me swoon :(

If i still had a ps3 or ps2 I would be playing dmc3 nonstop right now.

macksplack said:
I'm playing dmc3 now and i hope this game isn't as retarded difficult as the previous version.
It'll probably be around the same as DMC3SE which really wasn't too hard. That'll be offset by the fact that you can't go back and grind for orbs on your first playthrough (I admit, when I first played DMC3 I could only get past Cerberus at first by fully upgrading all the weapons that were available at the time, getting to L2 Trickster, and buying a few blue orbs. I'm much better at the game now, and the SE is much easier for an initial playthrough anyway).

badcrumble said:
It'll probably be around the same as DMC3SE which really wasn't too hard. That'll be offset by the fact that you can't go back and grind for orbs on your first playthrough (I admit, when I first played DMC3 I could only get past Cerberus at first by fully upgrading all the weapons that were available at the time, getting to L2 Trickster, and buying a few blue orbs. I'm much better at the game now, and the SE is much easier for an initial playthrough anyway).

hmm i guess i have try harder, i still have to get used to no blocking.

As long as they address DMC3's save system in DMC4...Which I know they did in the Japanese version of DMC3, then I'll likely end up being very pleased by the game. Can't wait for the demo.

Dahbomb

macksplack said:
I'm playing dmc3 now and i hope this game isn't as retarded difficult as the previous version.
It definitely isn't. In fact for DMC3 there was a SE released that was tons easier. You should've gotten that one with playable Vergil as well. DMC4 comes with balanced difficulty this time, you have my word on it.

And yes checkpoint/save system will be using SE system. No more restarting entire levels, every room is it's own checkpoint. Think RE4 style.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i've never played any dmc game before (i know, i know...), but this has me very excited. cant wait to give it a try

Dahbomb

op_ivy said:
i've never played any dmc game before (i know, i know...), but this has me very excited. cant wait to give it a try
Just a little advice for you and all the other DMC virgins/Xbox only gamers.

Upon release date, visit GAF often especially my thread which will read "Official Devil May Cry 4 Thread of Action Godliness". In it I will outline the basics of survival for the DMC virgins and how to properly play the game. Please read it and apply it thoroughly and then watch the combo videos that I will have linked.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
ToyMachine228 said:
As long as they address DMC3's save system in DMC4...Which I know they did in the Japanese version of DMC3, then I'll likely end up being very pleased by the game. Can't wait for the demo.

since 2005 people have been talking about this save system thing and i still dont understand:lol and i played up to a 100 hours of this game, inever remember having trouble with savings...

Danielsan

If it doesn't come with difficulty settings you can count me out. I don't intend to play the game in stupidiously easy mode (what appears to be the new normal).

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn hopefully this demo will come out soon it would be very very nice stuff, and regarding the difficulty make that shit the same as DMC3 I love that game Brutral but once you know you stuff rewarding as hell.

macksplack said:
hmm i guess i have try harder, i still have to get used to no blocking.

Try dodging, and playing more defensively in general.

After playing Contra 4, I almost want to bitch-slap anyone who thinks DMC3 is actually hard.

And for the fuckin last time, there was no 'save issue' in DMC3. If you're too fuckin stupid to figure out what yellow orbs do (not reading the manual for the lose) that's your problem, not the games. (the game also as an in-screen description below yello orbs that reads: "ability to recall lost souls." What the fuck do you think that means?

Dahbomb

Sorry to bump this thread up but someone has an analysis of Nero's combat in the demo (PS3 version). It's in Japanese but we have some fragments in terms of translations:

Link here
<-- Someone with some knowledge of DMC conventions and Japanese translation please tackle this.

Combo I: /\/\/\/\
Combo II: /\/\-delay-/\/\/\
Combo III: /\/\/\-delay-/\
Aerial Rave: /\/\/\ in the air
Helm Breaker: R1+LAS forward + /\

The charge time for Blue Rose Charged Shots is very short.

"Enemy step (ES [Note: I'm going to replace this with "rebound," because it's the same thing]) as for additional efficiency DMC3 system. When it does aerial vis-a-vis the Frost it is accustomed to hitting, the effect. (untranslatable) can do rebound anywhere on the body. If square Crowe (?) height is adjusted to the partner, Snatch -> rebound -> Snatch... with it is possible to continue to rise. Like in DMC3, there is a ceiling -- even in open environments -- and (untranslatable) (temporary) single step eye rebound unless (untranslatable) is used, is difficult. Repeated Blue Rose hits -> rebound... and so on is possible."

"Accumulating (untranslatable, probably Exceed) it keeps pushing with also repeated hitting with. Up to 3 gauges. Whenever it's used, 1 gauge is used. Gauge continues also after the area moving (I have not idea what he's talking about here). Basic as for skill sword speed, power, and so on changes. EX as for streak (temporary) accumulating possibly. When on the ground, and when in the air, when having accumulated the EX streak and the like, it is possible to accumulate (Again, probably talking about charging Exceed).

(untranslatable) (temporary or less QE instantaneously shook the) sword same 1 gauge it is possible with L2 to accumulate. When swinging. Timing... as for basic skill per instant which is hit. In case of two step skills second step. As for the streak when they are 360 editions, the vibration and timing generally being to be the same, the doing and the watermelon. High the roller is rather slow the (untranslatable). After finishing to lift the sword. High roller also jump is slow the (untranslatable). In the midst of rise? Until it finishes to rise, hitting. Helmet as for dividing (temporary) the instant which lands. As for timing... in bodily sensation 4? 5 frames (to the last bodily sensation. QE also it is possible with) continuation to excessive (untranslatable) to do. The (untranslatable); (QE) -> the EX high roller (QE) -> the aerial EX /\; (QE) -> the EX helmet dividing and the like usually skill the /\ -> L2, acquires habit to the hand, as for command skill whether it is good to do with recognition?

EX dash (temporary continuing to insert the) analog stick, when it is running, the speed which it runs rises. When the state halts and/or puts out skill cancellation. With jump it is not cancelled. When EX dash (temporary) it goes to the difference in level in state, streak jump (temporary) is possible. After streak jump (temporary) it is not running and also the (untranslatable) becomes EX dash state. This EX dash as for state drift speed of (untranslatable) (with you say, or, Nero's (untranslatable) rate of absorption) you are quicker, when well you do, (untranslatable) meanderingly is attached to rear the spectacle where (?).

After lustering the frost nail, from jump like (untranslatable) the skill which discharges the ice. When it hits, Nero freezes fixed time, (from (untranslatable) recovery speed rise) crystal of the ice remains in the mark where (untranslatable) hit against the land, (there is attack decision. There is no freezing effect, after) similarly lustering the nail, the skill which produces the ice to all direction from vertical jump. It is the skill which is even in DMC1 but continuance becoming short you avoid with vertical jump, the (untranslatable). Because DMC1 compared to height of jump rises, you drop simply and/or avoid and the (untranslatable) are the (untranslatable). The skill which discharges the nail of the ice. 6 (?) 2 patterns of total 6 running fire edition of WAY edition and 3 running fire + 3 running fires. When bus while having swung with the tar, it hits against the obstacle, the stylish point rises. Doing the bus tar (?) in arch of there and the vicinity of the pillar is the recommendation.

It means that also extra operation is large with (untranslatable) large inclination, generally you avoid attack simply with jump, the (untranslatable). Flame when reviving when large explosion attack coming in addition to, it is. Avoiding (untranslatable) leprosy.... Main point note and as for attack the attack which produces 4.5 fire pillars from the land. When it is piled up with the attack of other things, it is. When the attack extra operation which sends the fire to the land is visible, when running, you avoid and the fire pillar attack of other things comes, you will avoid with emergency evasion."

Most notable thing from this is that Red Queen in fact has 3 ground combos, which was a feature that was previously exclusive to A&R and Alastor only before.

Some more tidbits of note are the timing based "quick executions" on Exceed which is something that I noticed before. The player states that the frame of execution for Exceed is 4-5 frames which seems VERY strict to me for an action game but it might not apply like a fighting game if it's using the same frame system. Again the player is most likely estimating the frames here.

Another is "Sprint jumping" which is basically a long jump following by a sprint. It's definitely new to DMC4 as we didn't have a sprint function in DMC.

RTS83

Wewt! Devil May Cry 4! I'm playing 2 right now...come on...its not THAT bad...although I am at this very annoying puzzle where I slash an orb, this gate rises, and I have to race to get through the gate before it closes...

Danielsan

Amannamederic said:
Wewt! Devil May Cry 4! I'm playing 2 right now...come on...its not THAT bad...although I am at this very annoying puzzle where I slash an orb, this gate rises, and I have to race to get through the gate before it closes...
It's not that bad?
This must be the first Devil May Cry you've played right? It's not bad if you have no experience with DMC1 but DMC2 is a piece of shit compared to DMC1 and DMC3. A vile piece of shit that I wish had never paid money for.

Danielsan said:
It's not that bad?
This must be the first Devil May Cry you've played right? It's not bad if you have no experience with DMC1 but DMC2 is a piece of shit compared to DMC1 and DMC3. A vile piece of shit that I wish had never paid money for.

Which is sad because DMC2 is the only one i'd ever picked up and decided to beat :(. I'll be picking up the third and first before DMC4 is out though. Can't wait for a possible demo.

RTS83

Danielsan said:
It's not that bad?
I got the 5th anniversary pack from Gamestop and have been playing through them.

The gameplay in 1 was awesome, a button mashing combo fest that left my hands aching with future carpal tunnel...but the story and voice acting? uh...*snicker*?

That being said I loved it.

I'm only about an hour or so into the second. I do wonder why they flipped the damn control scheme though...

lupin23rd

I finished DMC1 and am working on DMC2, and I'm glad they switched the jump button around. The melee button is in an odd spot, but there is no way that jump should be the top button in any game. Either way, customizable controls should be the norm.

I don't think it's that bad either. I mean is it just because it's easier? Or because the new chick sidekick has a terrible voice? :lol

Danielsan

lupin23rd said:
I finished DMC1 and am working on DMC2, and I'm glad they switched the jump button around. The melee button is in an odd spot, but there is no way that jump should be the top button in any game. Either way, customizable controls should be the norm.

I don't think it's that bad either. I mean is it just because it's easier? Or because the new chick sidekick has a terrible voice? :lol
It's because it's easier, uglier, no fun and had nothing to with Devil May Cry other than Dante. Who doesn't even bring much Dante personality to the table to begin with . The thing I hated the most is that the melee weapons are fucking useless in the games. You can pretty much kill every boss/enemy by standing around unloading ebony and ivory.

RTS83

I have a way hard time getting anything other than a D in my style rank in 2...I hope the combo system in 4 is back to the silky smooth Goth-Vampire movie esque moves I saw in 1.

Danielsan

Amannamederic said:
I have a way hard time getting anything other than a D in my style rank in 2...I hope the combo system in 4 is back to the silky smooth Goth-Vampire movie esque moves I saw in 1.
It will be an improved version of the combo system that is in 3 which really is fucking awsome.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
capcom are such f-in teases tbh, itll come in december, BUT WHEN? I dont think theyll put it up in the week of christmas since theres vacation then, so within the next 2 weeks?

What's the release date for the DS3? Will it be out in time for the game? I don't see it listed for release on the major game sales sites yet.

Barakov

Gold Member
Saint Gregory said:
What's the release date for the DS3? Will it be out in time for the game? I don't see it listed for release on the major game sales sites yet.

Supposedly sometime in the spring.

karasu

lupin23rd said:

It's so boring.

roxya

Danielsan said:
It's because it's easier, uglier, no fun and had nothing to with Devil May Cry other than Dante. Who doesn't even bring much Dante personality to the table to begin with . The thing I hated the most is that the melee weapons are fucking useless in the games. You can pretty much kill every boss/enemy by standing around unloading ebony and ivory.

Is the story at all relevant? Can I skip DMC2 without missing anything?

roxya said:
Is the story at all relevant? Can I skip DMC2 without missing anything?
I'm pretty sure you can. I remember something about the time DMC4 takes place that makes DMC2 totally irrelevant.

And, no, DMC3 has nothing to do with DMC2.

Top Bottom