• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

LotusHD

Banned
Makoto the best.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding.gif

She's pretty awesome. The English VO is stellar. Fits her perfectly.

Lol, the best part is whenver she's exasperated about something, sounds just right

nOoblet16

Yeah, and I think it's mostly mementos. From around the last three mementos zones or so, I started to skip everything and went straight to find the request target and the ladder down to the lower level. I found the loots useless and the exp gained insignificant. The best place to get exp is still certain shadow(s) in the latest dungeons.
I'll disagree, best place to get XP and money is mementos via bosses and selling the loot. Plus mementos also has reaper that can power level you massively.

On top of this there is the money from bosses, basically mementos is the best way to earn money which will let you buy better gear if you haven't already found it in chests. A lot of my best gear throughout the game were from Mementos chests tbh.

nOoblet16

Wow, I guess I missed that.

But overall I never felt the need to grind at all. When I entered a new palace I was usually underleveled, but starting from the middle my level caught up or even surpassed most shadows there. I reached level 75 in the end without having to grind for levels at all, I just played and killed most shadows I saw naturally. I think this is a good design for a genre that's infamous for its grindy nature. This is also why I enjoyed the game so much until the end.
It's not really a grind if you do the exploit. Since spawning a reaper takes 5 mins and killing him can take anywhere between 10 seconds to 5 mins all depending on whether he spawns with despair or not...Although this also assumes you can escape the battles quickly which is a star confidant perk. I guess it's not really possible at lower levels when you haven't build up those two confidants to max but certainly possible around level 40-50.

I'm in NG+ and have confidant perks from previous playthrough so I can do it much earlier just need to wait for flu season.

I'll disagree, best place to get XP and money is mementos via bosses and selling the loot. Plus mementos also has reaper that can power level you massively.

On top of this there is the money from bosses, basically mementos is the best way to earn money which will let you buy better gear if you haven't already found it in chests. A lot of my best gear throughout the game were from Mementos chests tbh.

It's not really a grind if you do the exploit. Since spawning a reaper takes 5 mins and killing him can take anywhere between 10 seconds to 5 mins all depending on whether he spawns with despair or not...Although this also assumes you can escape the battles quickly which is a star confidant perk. I guess it's not really possible at lower levels when you haven't build up those two confidants to max but certainly possible around level 40-50.

I'm in NG+ and have confidant perks from previous playthrough so I can do it much earlier just need to wait for flu season.

I didn't mean killing the Reapers as grinding. What I mean is that without having to care about exp and what level we are now, everything will be just fine and we can still proceed with the story and beat any enemy that stand in our way. In many other JRPGs, some progress will be halted unless you spend time grinding for levels just so you can be on the equal terms with the enemies and beat them.

And as for gears and money, as I mentioned before as well I never had a problem with them at all. Without having to explore every nook and cranny of the mementos, I managed just fine. I bought everything from the shop and I never had serious problem with the enemies. My only game over screens were mostly happened around in the beginning of the game. And after I managed to get certain confidants skills, the game just got getting easier. It's almost impossible to die in later stages of the game. Therefore, I don't think mementoes gears and more money are needed at all.

But then again, I was only playing on normal.

Finished Palace 5.
I figured this was how it was gonna go down with someone actually getting killed during one of the heists (even though it wasn't their fault) and the public turning on them. Now Goro seems like he's starting to come around to the fact that the Phantom Thieves didn't do the killings. Sae on the other hand is a fucking clown.

Haru is pretty dope. I don't see why people are down on Haru's English VO, it sounds fine to me. She seems like she'd have that voice given her personality. Ann still best girl though.

Current party is MC/Ann/Morgana/Haru, although I'll swap out Morgana for Yusuke as well.

I disapprove of this first post. Ryuji is my bro.
Makoto / Haru / Ryuji -> best party

Ryuji is only useful in the first 3 or 4 palaces. From there I rarely used him at all. In later stages, spells deal more damage than physical and there's no risk at all.

My fixed party for boss fights:
- MC (buffs/debuffs)
- Ann (atk debuff & damage dealer)
- Makoto (def buff & healer)
- Mona/Haru (damage dealer & healer)

At endgame, Mona and Ann totally wreck everything with their spells, doing like 1500 damage. Haru's ranged physical attacks are also pretty strong, surprisingly.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You're fine to go as far as you can go each time you're in. The 3 days is a story contrivance,
you need to find the treasure (day 1), then send a calling card (day 2) which triggers the boss fight the next day (day 3).
You can do that process as early as you want.

Should I go on? after
Heavenly Punisher any upcoming hard demons
I can't fight with very low SP team?

Ryuji is only useful in the first 3 or 4 palaces. From there I rarely used him at all. In later stages, spells deal more damage than physical and there's no risk at all.

- MC (buffs/debuffs)

At endgame, Mona and Ann totally wreck everything with their spells, doing like 1500 damage. Haru's ranged physical attacks are also pretty strong, surprisingly.

The game is easy enough (I'm in dungeon 6 playing on normal) that I just go with the characters I like the best, just like in Persona 3 & 4. I have found Ryuji to be extremely useful against a lot of bosses and various enemies without elemental weaknesses. And I can always swap him with another character in case of an emergency. The fact that you can get a perk that allows your entire party to get the same amount of XP is extremely useful.

nOoblet16

NG+ strength confidant 10 question
The cell key you get from Lavenza says "All Velvet room warden features unlocked" but I don't see anything unlocked except for being able to fuse high level persona, I still had to bring them the persona they want to rank up so that I could unlock lockdown.

silva1991

Ryuji's insta kill ability makes another social link useless. The other ability that makes me earn doubt money if I kill enemies in one turn after successful ambush.

Damn it :(

Beginning of Dungeon 6 spoilers

I don't trust you at all, Akechi. I don't care that your abilities look super useful, you're not getting in my party. Ever!

Also, that's one hell of a dungeon theme, damn.

nOoblet16

Ryuji's insta kill ability makes another social link useless. The other ability that makes me earn doubt money if I kill enemies in one turn after successful ambush.

Damn it :(
His install kill only works if you are 10 levels higher than them, if you are then you won't really get much money/XP from them to matter at your level and it'll just prolong your game time.

Delio

- MC (buffs/debuffs)

Now that im in the end game lead up yeah. Ann is turning into the nuke i figured she would be.

silva1991

His install kill only works if you are 10 levels higher than them, if you are then you won't really get much money/XP from them to matter at your level and it'll just prolong your game time.

I'm at level 99 after farming Reaper yesterday. Sigh I guess I'll use the treasure trap item and look for treasure enemies. Anyone knows what mementos floor has many of them?

Jintor

Brainwash subboss in d7 was pretty annoying until I sussed out its weakness. I had the exact wrong party composition too

So after dying twice due to dumb and or unlucky shit happening in the maze I'm fairly close to putting this on Safety just so I don't have to redo stuff this many times because of a mistake.

Also the whole MC dying = game over really needs to go. Especially in a game with so many instadeaths and status effects that ca kill you.

nOoblet16

- MC (buffs/debuffs)

You're using Mona to deal damage? Having both Mona and Makoto in party is kind of redundant as Makoto is better than Mona at everything except having the crit ability. You are losing out damage per turn by spending so much on support as you only have one real damage dealer. The MC should fill in the spot of backup attacker since you won't debuff/buff/heal all the time.

At endgame Ryuji is a must if you want to do substantial damage, for reference with attack 2x and defense debuff on enemy he did 2000+ damage on final boss for me, while everyone else did like half of that even with their most powerful ability. In terms of pure damage dealt he outclasses everyone and only the MC comes close if he has charge. Haru and Yusuke are swappable but I find Haru more useful because Psy and One shot kill is a bit more useful than Ice and Baton pass physical (which is very situational and useless on bosses).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
4th palace is awesome. Its huge rho, gotta stop at this first safe room, I need some sleep ;_;

Why is
Isis
good against
Anubis
? I dont see anything particularly unique on mine.

nOoblet16

I'm at level 99 after farming Reaper yesterday. Sigh I guess I'll use the treasure trap item and look for treasure enemies. Anyone knows what mementos floor has many of them?
It's random, treasures appear more during a certain weather day...think it might be rain.

nOoblet16

4th palace is awesome. Its huge rho, gotta stop at this first safe room, I need some sleep ;_;

Why is
Isis
good against
Anubis
? I dont see anything particularly unique on mine.
Check the stats again or go into a fight with him, that persona has total immunity to all of his attacks.

You're using Mona to deal damage? Having both Mona and Makoto in party is kind of redundant as Makoto is better than Mona at everything except dealing wind damage. You are losing out damage per turn by spending so much on support as you only have one real damage dealer. The MC should fill in the spot of backup healer and backup attacker since you won't debuff/buff/heal all the time.

At endgame Ryuji is a must if you want to do actual damage, for reference with attack 2x and defense debuff on enemy he does 2000+ damage on final boss, when everyone else does like half of that even with their most powerful ability, in terms of pure damage dealt he outclasses everyone and only the MC comes close if he has charge. Haru and Yusuke are swappable but I find Haru more useful because Psy and One shot kill is a bit more useful than Ice and Baton pass physical (which is very situational and useless on bosses)

What's that attack 2x? The charge spell? But that means that he's losing 1 turn of attacking so it's still basically 1000 damage per turn right? As mentioned, Ann and Mona are doing 1500 per turn and I feel they're the best damage dealer thanks to their elemental damage boost passives. They don't lost HP when doing it on top of that.

Makoto feels like the jack (queen?) of all trades to me. Her damage is average but she's also useful for supporting the party. I ditched her physical spells as I found them useless. She's my main healer, because when healing are mostly fill your HP to full, stats don't matter anymore. And Mona's magic stat is too high for him to fill that healer role. He's more useful as the damage dealer.

LotusHD

Banned
So after dying twice due to dumb and or unlucky shit happening in the maze I'm fairly close to putting this on Safety just so I don't have to redo stuff this many times because of a mistake.

Just remember that if you put it on Safety, you won't be able to change it.

So I'm really enjoying the game so far. I'm not very far in (maybe 15 hours) and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with time management. I mean Morgana is a slave driver at times with how fickle "it" is. I wish I could multiple activities throughout each day but it feels like I do maybe one outside of the school and then BAM! Time to go to bed. Plus all the Persona infusion is a bit confusing as I don't really know what I need to infuse/create until after I've been through enough of a dungeon. It's starting to frustrate me that I can't seem to manage my time well enough.

Any tips for a noob like myself? Also I put my teammates on auto for 99 percent of the fights and is that wise? Should i be more hands on with them? The AI doesn't seem all that bad at handling it but I don't want to rely on that then suddenly have to go to manual because the AI can't handle increasing challenges down the line.

Fjordson

I hear studying at the diner is a good idea but...where is it? Is it the burger place?

And should I be studying there instead of Leblanc?

I hear studying at the diner is a good idea but...where is it? Is it the burger place?

Just in front of it. There's a ladder and I'd agree that it's somewhat missable in a glance. Make sure that you prioritize studying in rainy days as you can get 4 stats (3 knowledge and 1 other stat of your choice depending on your picked menu.

Fjordson

Just in front of it. There's a ladder and I'd agree that it's somewhat missable in a glance. Make sure that you prioritize studying in rainy days as you can get 4 stats (3 knowledge and 1 other stat of your choice depending on your picked menu.
Ah nice, just found it. Yeah, I just missed the stairs before.

Is studying worth it on sunny days also? Finished the first palace and everyone keeps talking about exams so I'm kinda nervous (only at knowledge level 2).

nOoblet16

What's that attack 2x? The charge spell? But that means that he's losing 1 turn of attacking so it's still basically 1000 damage per turn right? As mentioned, Ann and Mona are doing 1500 per turn and I feel they're the best damage dealer thanks to their elemental damage boost passives. They don't lost HP when doing it on top of that.

Makoto feels like the jack (queen?) of all trades to me. Her damage is average but she's also useful for supporting the party. I ditched her physical spells as I found them useless. She's my main healer, because when healing are mostly fill your HP to full, stats don't matter anymore. And Mona's magic stat is too high for him to fill that healer role. He's more useful as the damage dealer.
You can stack "attack up" on one character if the buff is done by two different characters. In my case the attack up buff on Ryuji would be done by MC and Haru. Ryuiji's charge deals more than 2x damage so it's not equal to the damage you would do in two turns and definitely not equal to the damage you would do with Mona/Makoto/Ann in two turns.

Now damage is dependant on your and enemy level but I can guarantee you that if you are doing 1500 with Mona and Makoto then you'll do more than double with Ryuji on the same enemy. It's crazy how much damage he does, the path to the final boss was just me killing strong enemies in 1-2 hits.

It's because the max damage level that Mona, Makoto, Haru and Ann can hit is "Severe" (with a 50% passive boost). Yusuke, MC and Ryuji on the other hand can hit "colossal" level damage, which is a lot more. Plus MC and Ryuji have charge for further increasing that damage to 2x+.

Makoto was my main healer and defense buffer and I got rid of her physical as well cause it was shit. But if I used her to deal damage then she would be the first one to run low on SP. Cause her Severe nuclear damage took like 44 SP per cast...that's too much !

Just remember that if you put it on Safety, you won't be able to change it.

I know. Made a separate save for it.

Glad I did too. Managed to get my whole team hit with rage against physical reflect enemies and dying but being able to restart.

I wonder if they'll ever implement save anywhere in these games.

Why is it that when I check the Thieves Guild it says people have hung out with Ann and other characters on days that I can't talk to anyone? Are the social links more random?

Frimaire

Damn, once you finish maxing out most of your social stats you really just start plowing though the Confidants, especially with the
Fortune
bonus.
I just finished a palace in the first few days and have been doing nothing but social links...

Ah nice, just found it. Yeah, I just missed the stairs before.

Is studying worth it on sunny days also? Finished the first palace and everyone keeps talking about exams so I'm kinda nervous (only at knowledge level 2).

If you must. You might want to raise your knowledge to 3 for the exam. That would be the most you can do at that point. Also, there'll be an invitation from your friend(s) very near the exam day that will bost your knowledge by 3 points.

You can stack "attack up" on one character if the buff is done by two different characters. In my case the attack up buff on Ryuji would be done by MC and Haru. Ryuiji's charge deals more than 2x damage so it's not equal to the same damage you would do in two turn. Now damage is dependant on your and enemy level but I can guarantee you that if you are doing 1500 with Mona and Makoto then you'll do double or more with Ryuji on the same enemy. It's crazy how much damage he does, the path to the final boss was just me killing strong enemies in 1-2 hits.

It's because the max damage level that Mona, Makoto, Haru and Ann can hit is "Severe" (with a 50% passive boost). Yusuke, MC and Ryuji on the other hand can hit "colossal" level damage, which is a lot more. Plus MC and Ryuji have charge for further increasing that damage to 2x+.

Makoto was my main healer and defense buffer and I got rid of her physical as well cause it was shit. But if I used her to deal damage then she would be the first one to run low on SP. Cause her Severe nuclear damage took like 44SP per cast...that's too much !

I see. I guess I'll look into it for for my NG+ playthrough later this year.

Damn, once you finish maxing out most of your social stats you really just start plowing though the Confidants, especially with the
Fortune
bonus.
I just finished a palace in the first few days and have been doing nothing but social links...

Yeah, around that time MC's phone never stop beeping from notifications. Social links all day, all week lol.

TrueBlue

It's incredibly frustrating that the MC dying is an instant game over - there's no justification for it, and it's needlessly archaic.

Coupled with a lack of autosave/checkpoints in places - particularly in Palaces that don't have many save rooms - and it just kinda blows.

BONAFIED MONAFIED

Was just about to post this ahaha!!

Yeah, she's great. Also the same person who did A2 in Nier: Automata.

Cherami Leigh is great as A2 - deeper than her normal pitch, and she conveyed A2's anger and frustrations very well. Almost didn't recognize her. Honestly I think that voice is much better than her high pitched voices.

Very satisfied with her Makoto voice though.

Chaos17

It's incredibly frustrating that the MC dying is an instant game over - there's no justification for it, and it's needlessly archaic.

Coupled with a lack of autosave/checkpoints in places - particularly in Palaces that don't have many save rooms - and it just kinda blows.
Totally agree

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member

makoto/morgana/ann could diaharan/mediaharan you endlessly and it'd be impossible to lose

Dantis

Just finished palace 5. Really enjoyed it. Not sure why people dislike it so much.

Hilariously, the puzzles are taking me more time in English than they did in Japanese, which is vaguely terrible.

Matsukaze

I swear, every time I whiff on an attack in a make-or-break situation, it's always Ryuji who lets me down.

I can feel it in my soul when Morgana says "Oh Skull, you're pathetic".

AndersK

I don't like it either, the very least they could do is give a choice if you want it or not. I'm loving the difficulty outside of that. Im getting semi-souls vibes on hard - push forward weakened or go back and cut your losses. Dungeon 2 is somewhat easier so far though.

Lost a lot of progress *dungeon 1 slight spoiler*
at that one unskippable enemy near the end. I was running on fumes and it gibbed me. Just nefore the safe room. It sucked, but exhilarating too.

TrueBlue

makoto/morgana/ann could diaharan/mediaharan you endlessly and it'd be impossible to lose

I don't have those skills yet unfortunately.

But even so, it's a weirdly arbitrary thing that just serves to frustrate more than anything.

I could perhaps accept it a little more if they justified in the context of the story - but they don't. There's no reason why a team-mate can't revive the MC. They apparently all completely lose their shit when the MC falls, which goes against the "all in it together" tone of things.

As it stands it's just a pointless quirk of the battle system.

Dark Souls ain't got nothing on Persona 5 when it comes to fear of death.

Top Bottom