• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could an almost 6 year old handle a Pokemon game?

iyox

My daughter is 6 and has been playing Pokémon and Yokai watch for a few years. She sometimes needs help with certain aspects of the games, but as her reading comprehension improved the help required lessened. She also is pretty good at finding walkthrough videos. Abdallahsmash is good for this as he is family friendly and provides very clear walkthroughs.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sun and Moon are really beginner friendly with the first hour and a half being really tutorial heavy. Still, playing a text heavy game at 6 is a lot to ask for some kids. I remember playing Pokemon Gold at that age and it taking a long time to get my bearings. Also, recent games have more text than previous entries.

Well Sun and Moon is lot more story focus than X and Y, hence why it has more texts.

Yep, give her Red/Blue and watch her go. It's an amazing way to help them start reading more casually and I would recommend it for that specific reason. The repetion of words as well as familiar pictures/actions make it great for beginners, and there's nothing too advanced in there.

Don't do this, the original Gen 1 games will be much harder for her to grasp than X and Y, especially since X and Y has better tutorial, the exp share, megas and a liner map with lesser requirement of HM moves, she will only need surf and Strength to get trough X and Y, whereas in Red/Blue she will need more and unlike X and Y she will have to go into a menu to use them.

czk51

I have Pokemon Moon on my 3DS and my 5yo was really interested in it, so on the weekends he'd either watch me play, roam around the island catching Pokemon for himself or watching playthroughs on youtube. I ended up buying Sun for him, I helped him a little bit, but he actually found Thinknoodles playthrough on YT so followed along with that. He got to the last island then asked me to wipe the game and start from scratch coz he enjoyed the earlier part so much.

ASaiyan

Banned
I played Pokemon Silver for the first time at the age of 6. I got as far as the eighth gym before I got irrevocably stuck, because I couldn't read well enough to understand that you're supposed to go to the Dragon's Den after that. I still had tons of fun though. And with how hand-holdy the games are these days it might be even less of a problem.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm not really looking for suggestions on specific versions. If I do go with Pokemon, it will definitely be X.

For actual battling, they also colour each move type now, so if she can connect that blue border attacks = water type moves and similar she should be fine on the battle front. The main games aren't really that hard even with just your base starter pokemon (plus it's shockingly easy to over-level your team in X/Y due to the Exp. Share making things a little too easy in my experience)

If nothing else, Pokemon Amie will be enjoyable.

Amie is definitely a feature I believe she'll like. You get it early too, so that shouldn't be a hurdle for her. The Exp. Share will also be a boon for her.

My son is almost 6 and loves pokemon as an ip. He cant read yet though so the games end up boring him. He can manage through the combat, but only if I tell him which moves are attack moves. Any other stat based moves are over his head. The story parts drag on too long too and he loses instrest when I have to read to him for 5 min before he can just play again. The pikachu adventure games on wii are more entertaining to him, so is pokemon shuffle. I would switch to Mario 3D land instead. Next to no reading and a hand holding mode if needed.

3D Land is my next choice if I decide against Pokemon. She did struggle with it being a 3D platformer since she's only used to 2D platformers. I actually thought about Rayman Origins since she liked my X360 version, but the 3DS version didn't impress me at all. I might let her try the demo and see how she feels.

milkham

I gave my niece who is in second grade now a 3ds and pokemon X over the summer. She's familiar with pokemon from watching the cartoons but this is the first game she's been exposed to. she says she likes it but I never see her playing it. I asked her why and she says that everyone is always trying to fight her. She's not interested in the combat at all and wanted to be a pokemon performer whatever that is. I personally have never really played any of them so I had no guidance for her, if she doesn't like the combat I guess there's nothing really in it for her. She enjoys kirby triple deluxe and Mariokart much more. I've been thinking about getting her one of the Style Savvy games.

Jintor

I gave my niece who is in second grade now a 3ds and pokemon X over the summer. She's familiar with pokemon from watching the cartoons but this is the first game she's been exposed to. she says she likes it but I never see her playing it. I asked her why and she says that everyone is always trying to fight her. She's not interested in the combat at all and wanted to be a pokemon performer whatever that is. I personally have never really played any of them so I had no guidance for her, if she doesn't like the combat I guess there's nothing really in it for her. She enjoys kirby triple deluxe and Mariokart much more. I've been thinking about getting her one of the Style Savvy games.

i've always been thinking they've been selling pokemon professions in so many different ways, it's a wonder there aren't more games about doing stuff other than fighting in them. There's side content in the main games but yeah

Forkball

It looks like you are gifted.
I peaked early.

OP I would also recommend the Kirby games. Kirby is basically a Pokémon anyways, plus they aren’t text heavy to my knowledge. The 3DS games are highly regarded.

[Edit] Dude what if there was a crossover game where Kirby can swallow Pokémon and take their powers THAT WOULD BE RAD

I was 9 or 10 when I first got it...??? I started with RBY yes first gen lol.

I’m gonna also say that it pushed me to read better.

I guess it depends where exactly their reading level is at currently. My kid is 7 and has been playing Pokémon for a little over 2 years now and has mostly had no issues.

I've played pokemon games with kids around that age, and it actually helped them to learn how to read. They were driven to read simply because they wanted to play the game.

It was a long time ago when I'd baby sit two brothers, one was 8 and the other 6. I think this was when Gold and Silver first debuted. Easiest baby sitting gig ever.

UberHavoc

Neo Member
My nephew was struggling with reading until I got him Minecraft. Suddenly figuring out what everything was became his #1 priority. I say go for it. If she doesn't like it now she probably will very soon.

stuminus3

My oldest daughter has been playing since she was 6. She got super into learning the mechanics of the game, too - she's beaten most of them since then.

My oldest son learned to read at about the same age because of Zelda Wind Waker. I couldn't be bothered having to read everything to him so I told him he couldn't play it until he could read it. Didn't take long for him to be able to read it. :)

Get her the newest pokemon game and a dictionary to help with reading issues. Most kids at that age aren't actually having trouble reading the words, they're having a hard time figuring out how to say them and figuring out what they mean.

20 minutes teaching a young kid how to use a dictionary goes a surprisingly long way toward them becoming better readers.

I was playing Pokemon at 5 or 6 years old and didn't really have any trouble with it. Granted that was back in the R/B/Y days where I'm sure the "reading" was a little simpler, but the same concept generally applies with the newer games.

Vinnk

Totally depends on her reading level. My 8-year-old daughter is bilingual but a slightly stronger reader in Japanese. The pokemon games are really easy in Japanese because they are written entirely in the phonetic alphabet (or at least the old ones were). She is playing Pokemon yellow right now on an old GBA SP and really enjoys it.

Before that she was trying to play Pokemon X in English but found the reading too hard. After she get tired of Yellow we will probably try Sun/Moon in Japanese. Or switch X to Japanese.

But I will say, kids like a challenge as long as they are into it. Don't force her if it is frustrating, but it's a great way to learn reading, if she's into it.

Crash331

Depends on the kid. My kid could read at 4 and at age 6 he reads with emotion and follows punctuation. It would be no problem for him.

HMM

Neo Member
Obviously depends on the individual kid but I got my first Pokémon game on my sixth birthday and was absolutely fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Im sorry, you could read at age 3?!!

My mom taught me to read with the I See Sam readers when I was 3. It's not like I was reading novels or anything, but I knew my ABCs and could identify basic words by the time I was 4. Not saying that everyone should be expected to be able to read at that age, but it's certainly not unheard of.

dadjumper

I played Gold when I was 5. It's probably the reason I could read so well for my age in primary school, and taught me a lot of words. I'd say it's worth a try if nothing else. They'll probably push through if they like it!

siriocaz

Neo Member
I started Paper Mario TTYD at almost 7 and I barely knew anything in English. Had to take out a dictionary quite frequently but I still enjoyed the game, it's one of my favorites, actually.

Depends on the kid, though.

Aleh

I’ve been playing since an even younger age when I could barely read, and Pokémon Blue was way less child friendly than the newer games so I’d say there’s not gonna be any problem!

I would wait until she's starting to read before trying Pokemon. I would suggest either of the Kirby games or Mario 3D Land. Once she can read well enough is when lots of stuff will open up, like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fantasy Life, or Forever Oasis as my suggestions.

suicreeps

It should be fine, good thing about x and y is they are mostly still grid-based with movement, so it’s easier to navigate for someone young. It should be fine, x and y are a little more hand/holdy than previous ones(except for navigating the awkwardness of the main city). I played and beat sapphire, emerald, and ruby when I was a little younger than that age so it should be good for her.

She will get stumped in a few places so just tell her what potions do and turn xp-share on and it will be quite a bit easier

Pokemon Blue helped me with reading comprehension when I was around that age so I say go for it. Kids are sponges for information so as I long as she likes the game she'll be fine. If she doesn't then at least she has 2 more games to play with.

I'm just getting my 7 year old into pokemon... but Dragon Quest (Warrior) 1 was how I started to learn to read at age 3. It's going to very kid to kid.

Yam's

I would wait until she can read more fluently. Got a nephew who's 7 and loves the Pokemon IP however he gets bored very quickly with the games as he doesn't read well yet. He enjoys fighting for some minutes then gives up or asks me to read for him. But he's a bit lazy and got poor attention skill.

I would still get her something else unless you know she's gonna enjoy it enough to make the effort to read and learn.

Got my first Pokemon game (Blue, or Edición Azul, to be precise) when I was 6 and i loved it. It's of course easier if the game is in the kid's native language, but I also used to play OoT in English and I loved it (and learned some English).

Zyrox

Depends on her reading level. Started with Pokémon Blue when I was four. Could already read by then but that varies from kid to kid.

gblues

Banned
Yeah if she can even kind of read then she should be good.

This can be a fun way for her to practice reading. My son taught himself to read at 4 because he wanted to play Dragon Quest and my wife and I were tired of reading everything (especially since he’d advance the dialog faster than we could read it).

Bishop89

I'm sure most of us were 6'ish when pokemon first came out and managed fine.

I havnt really noticed there being more text in the new ones compared to the first generation.

Ramirez

My 7 year old can read really well, but he never made it past the opening section of Moon, I think it’s a YMMV situation. He mostly plays Rocket League and Destiny, I think some kids will just be put off by the slow pace if they’re used to action heavy games.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm sure most of us were 6'ish when pokemon first came out and managed fine.

I havnt really noticed there being more text in the new ones compared to the first generation.

Pokemon was the obsession back in those days.

Nowadays kids grew up with instant gratification games, YouTubers and iPad for entertainment.

It will be very hard to hold their attention if they can't handle the text. Patience is the other key here.

Jachaos

I was 5 and I'm french canadian so I couldn't even read English and it was fine. I actually learned a lot of basic english through it. Bag, run, stuff like that were pretty simple to assimilate afterwards.

I played my first Pokemon game at ~7 and couldn't read all the words, but I still made my way through the game pretty well. If you can't understand all the important words you learn the actions by trial and error.

So I'd say give it a shot for a six-year-old. If it's a no-go, only need wait a year or two. Kids are pretty adaptive.

Freeman76

Our daughter is 5 and loves pokemon games. She manages fine by herself, and she enjoys having to work out where to go next.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
It probably depends on the child's reading level.

If they're a confident reader, they will get on just fine, so long as they enjoy the game itself of course.

C4Lukins

For sure. I was playing Ghosts n Goblins at 5.

I guess the reading could be a problem, but most 5 or 6 year olds can read right?

I mean you pretty much learn to read at 5, and by six most kids should be able to sound out the words even if they do not necessarily know their meaning. Kid should be fine.

I got my then 5 year old a 2DS plus Pokemon Sun for Christmas last year and she loves it. She doesn't necessarily play the storyline but has a great time wandering around catching Pokemon, and trading for them on DTS.

That said, she was a very early reader, and so could follow everything that was going on. Without that, I doubt she would have enjoyed it half as much.

Now she's graduated to Earthbound on our new SNES Mini.

Top Bottom