• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect and Gameplay Video (UI stuff)

Epcott

Smooth interface. I wonder if it'll be that fast or if that video was just a "representation" of a user speaking to Kinect?

how did Titanfall load into a game without him starting or choosing it to do that?

This had me scratching my head as well.

btw OP, your avi is adorable.

UNCMark

Banned
Ahh, and your judgement of the PS4 UI is based on...?

I don't think I've ever seen it outside of pictures or the badly shot video of it when Yosh was using it. Only thing I can comment on is the nasty looking activity feed that I know was official. It was awful.

VanWinkle

I don't think I've ever seen it outside of pictures or the badly shot video of it when Yosh was using it. Only thing I can comment on is the nasty looking activity feed that I know was official. It was awful.

That's fine that you think Sony made a mistake by making the social feed look like popular social feeds today like Pinterest, Google+, and Facebook, but are you concerned more with aesthetic than functionality?

PaNaMa

Banned
Ok so I'm not as funny as I think I am. As others have pointed out, going to titanfall seems to be just cutting to "roll tape" so you have to question just how real this is. I'm sure it will all work but I suspect the video is very misleading in terms of snappiness. I'd be Happy to be wrong, all the same.

In the time it takes for someone to say "Xbox, record", someone else can easily press the PS4 share button before they're finished saying it.

Anyway, I thought the majority of people disliked the Windows 8 Metro UI, which this is based off of.
How long does it take you to say "Xbox, Record."? It takes me a quick 1 second to say it. Probably just as fast at moving your finger off the stick/button to hit the tiny record button.

UNCMark

Banned
Its the magic of xbox one and the power of suspend resume.

I would like to see suspend/resume being demoed. The kind where you sleep the console in a game and then resume it by saying Xbox On.

That's fine that you think Sony made a mistake by making the social feed look like popular social feeds today like Pinterest, Google+, and Facebook, but are you concerned more with aesthetic than functionality?

Aesthetic. I'll be worried about functionality and performance once the final UI is shown. At the moment it hasn't been, so no need to fret.

How long does it take you to say "Xbox, Record."? It takes me a quick 1 second to say it. Probably just as fast at moving your finger off the stick/button to hit the tiny record button.

It also takes 1 second to someone enter your room (or even someone playing on your team) to say "Xbox Off"

How do you know it's "old"?

Devkits' OS usually reflects the state of the retail OS, just saying.
Old dash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcC5bVpIQX4

Newer dash
image.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Being able to say "Xbox, record that" is a pretty neat way of recording gameplay while not interrupting the game.

I thought it was always recording all the time like PS4? The last five minutes, right?

Or is that when you get an achievement?

Unless I'm mistaken this matchmaking feature is considered a "service" that you can run outside of a game, so it's not really running two games. I could be wrong on this one though

Then it will still have to load the game, I guess.

I mean, it would be like the "join match" option on PS4 demoed by Yoshida. Which I guess had KZ:SF suspended in the background, otherwise I seriously doubt you can get the game loaded in less than 10 seconds, be it Xbone or PS4.

Caayn

Unless I'm mistaken this matchmaking feature is considered a "service" that you can run outside of a game, so it's not really running two games. I could be wrong on this one though
According to an old news.xbox.com articel you can play game X while smartmatchmaking is searching for a match in game Y.
After you or a party member inputs the criteria for your perfect game, do something more fun than waiting; it’s up to you. Play another game, find some new downloadable content, or jump on Reddit. Take yourself as many touch points away from the matchmaking process as you can and you still don’t need to worry about finding your way back. Once Xbox One is done finding your perfect match, it will prompt you with a simple toast—no matter where you are or what you’re doing—so you can jump straight into playing.
Source

The actual argument you're looking for is:

"Xbox: Record that" takes a two seconds, whilst:
-hitting the share button
-being booted out of your game to a video editing menu
-editing a video and storing/sharing it

takes many times more than that

VanWinkle

Aesthetic. I'll be worried about functionality and performance once the final UI is shown. At the moment it hasn't been, so no need to fret.

So your earlier comment about PS4 UI was just facetious. I see you having negative comments on the PS4 UI often, so I assumed this "I would too if I had that UI" comment was more wrongful judgement from you.

Being able to say "Xbox, record that" is a pretty neat way of recording gameplay while not interrupting the game.

It is, but hearing people constantly saying "Xbox, record that" while playing a game online would be very annoying.

danwarb

Ok so I'm not as funny as I think I am. As others have pointed out, going to titanfall seems to be just cutting to "roll tape" so you have to question just how real this is. I'm sure it will all work but I suspect the video is very misleading in terms of snappiness. I'd be Happy to be wrong, all the same.

Going to a game that's running/paused in the background is definitely very quick at least.

I mean, it would be like the "join match" option on PS4 demoed by Yoshida. Which I guess had KZ:SF suspended in the background, otherwise I seriously doubt you can get the game loaded in less than 10 seconds, be it Xbone or PS4.

Either way, if the X1 matchmaking takes so long to find a game that it needs a dedicated service runing in the background, count me out. Everyone can bear some seconds waiting in matchmaking.

Either way, if the X1 matchmaking takes so long to find a game that it needs a dedicated service runing in the background, count me out. Everyone can bear some seconds waiting in matchmaking.

Yeah, it's weird. BF4 takes like 5 seconds max.

I hope we don't go back to Gears 2 times lol

KORNdoggy

Yeah, not gonna happen...even a game like killzone, with completely stripped out splash screens and epilepsy warnings takes a little over 2 and a half minutes to go from launch to menu's.

UNCMark

Banned
So your earlier comment about PS4 UI was just facetious. I see you having negative comments on the PS4 UI often, so I assumed this "I would too if I had that UI" comment was more wrongful judgement from you.

I've been clear how I feel about what little has been shown of the PS4 UI. It's awful. That's not me being facetious. That's me offering my opinion. If to you an opinion is "wrongful judgement" then lol. You're waging a war you can't win.

DeltaJay

Banned
It is, but hearing people constantly saying "Xbox, record that" while playing a game online would be very annoying.

This would be understandable but that's why headsets, especially 3rd party headsets, come with a one-touch mute button on them. My turtles did.

The question that needs to be asked though is can I speak into my headset and still get the voice functionality of Kinect? It seems you wouldn't be able to use two voice inputs at the same time.

UNCMark

Banned
This would be understandable but that's why headsets, especially 3rd party headsets, come with a one-touch mute button on them. My turtles did.

The question that needs to be asked though is can I speak into my headset speaker and still get the voice functionality of Kinect? It seems you wouldn't be able to use two voice inputs at the same time.

Speaking only for me, I never leave my mic wide open unless it's with friends. It's on mute otherwise.

I bet he doesn't even know that guy in the Skype call.

haha

I've been clear how I feel about what little has been shown of the PS4 UI. It's awful. That's not me being facetious. That's me offering my opinion. If to you an opinion is "wrongful judgement" then lol. You're waging a war you can't win.

I think vanwinkle is the only person that would actually engage in a debate with you about the look of an activity feed

-PXG-

I think the point of the video was to demonstrate what you could do with the voice commands and illustrate how snap features work. Surely no one expects it to be that fast or run so smoothly, right?

It's an obvious mockup. I want to see how it really works.

VanWinkle

Is an opinion based on unfinished software not a judgement? I'm not remotely waging a war. You have said that people are wrongfully judging the XB1 UI based on unfinished UI, yet you continue to do it with the PS4 UI. It's laughable to me. I have never made a judgement of either next-gen UI. I don't know how the finished UI on either will be. I have voiced concerns occasionally of both, but that is the extent of it. You are being hypocritical, and that is all there is to it.

Top Bottom