• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

JulianImp

like I am so pissed off.

WTF. like so mad right now. this plat 5 boosted pig wasted a ban on my main nami just to spite me. then flames when bot is losing yet doesn't gank any lanes.

Just call it a day. We all encounter shitty people and games every now and then, and the best thing you can do is not linger on that one bad game you had over the hundreds of better ones you had and will continue having anyway.

But, just in case, I'd recommend remembering the guy's name so you can rub victory on his face if you ever happen to face off against him in the future.

drawkcaB

Wait how does true grit work. For each enemy he is surrounded by right? But damn that is a lot of mr

Stacks when he uses Quickdraw (E). Each pellet of each of his AAs reduces the CD by 0.5s. So in teamfights with lots of targets to absorb pellets and the usual CDR graves gets from itemization, etc. E tends to come off cooldown fast enough.

You don't just enter a fight and immediately get 40~120 armor or MR, but it does stack up well and becomes problematic if the opposing team isn't able to pressure Graves immediately.

i don't think it's a bad nerf, it creates bad matchups for him (now elise is like probably a pretty strong pick against him) and chips away at general strengths (most games have mages in em so he's now generally weaker) but it's not the end of the world either

i think they'll end up reducing his damage as well in a later patch, but i'd rather they chip away at him than just deleting him from the game like they did with leblanc

Like you said, he'll need the damage nerf anyways. So the MR seems like a sensible nerf, but what happens next, after that damage nerf? It's what comes next that makes this a bad idea. Does "I'm weaker against magic damage" become "I get royally fucked by magic damage"?

This is one of those nonsense changes Riot likes to trot out that ends up killing a champ. We have a good laugh about and remember the "Olaf'ing" of champions but just as frequently when Riot nukes a problematic champ it's them nerfing/champions the wrong way and eventually nerfing/changing the right thing that should have been hit all along, but by then the damage is done.

And this before considering the shaky design implications of making a champion weaker to a particular set of other champions based on what sort of damage they happen deal when the weakness/strength had nothing to do with their identity and purpose. It's ok for Kass to be good in theory vs. magic damage mages but not so hot vs. AD, that's his thing - why does Graves need that sort of distinction? He should be all about coming in and shooting them in the face regardless of what sort of damage they deal. Riot could have opted to change True Grit so that it only stacks when dashing towards enemy champions. Frankly, that's a more interesting change to me if they're hellbent on trimming power off True Grit.

TheFlow

Banned
nah I took my anger on the next game. Won in less than 16 mins and went perfect with nami.

0/0/4

I had something to prove that game.

JulianImp

I guess I am gonna use Nami on Flex, keep training for Duo

I'd recommend that you go right into soloq, or just play normals otherwise. You're unlikely to lose support to somebody else even in blind pick, and flex is hell in that you're likely to get paired with or against people seveal ranks and divisions above or below you.

TheFlow

Banned
holy shit another plat jungler. who doesn't gank.

holy shit. please GOD no more plat 5 junglers. wish my elo wasn't so high.

I'd recommend that you go right into soloq, or just play normals otherwise. You're unlikely to lose support to somebody else even in blind pick, and flex is hell in that you're likely to get paired with or against people seveal ranks and divisions above or below you.

I want to wait for my duo to keep going since we are in a winning streak, I am still afraid to lose as support as always happens when I play Solo.

JulianImp

I want to wait for my duo to keep going since we are in a winning streak, I am still afraid to lose as support as always happens when I play Solo.

Personally, I play to get better rather than to climb, so I don't care if I lose my ranked games all that much. Even if you have a duos partner, you should be fine unless you totally mess up and end up dropping past the maximum division difference that Riot allows (which I know squat about since I've always played by myself so far).

Besides, flex is way worse than solo/duo when it comes to decent and somewhat balanced games. I've all but given up on flex after that fateful night when my random team decided to play a second flex game together and we ended up getting paired against a team with three high silver players and a platinum. Like, wtf, matchmaking, don't pair us bronze players like that.

zkylon

zkylewd
just had the weirdest bug

tried to wall kogmaw passive and he went through it but wall still did the 1hp dmg so i took tower aggro

spaghetti pls

Like you said, he'll need the damage nerf anyways. So the MR seems like a sensible nerf, but what happens next, after that damage nerf? It's what comes next that makes this a bad idea. Does "I'm weaker against magic damage" become "I get royally fucked by magic damage"?

This is one of those nonsense changes Riot likes to trot out that ends up killing a champ. We have a good laugh about and remember the "Olaf'ing" of champions but just as frequently when Riot nukes a problematic champ it's them nerfing/champions the wrong way and eventually nerfing/changing the right thing that should have been hit all along, but by then the damage is done.

And this before considering the shaky design implications of making a champion weaker to a particular set of other champions based on what sort of damage they happen deal when the weakness/strength had nothing to do with their identity and purpose. It's ok for Kass to be good in theory vs. magic damage mages but not so hot vs. AD, that's his thing - why does Graves need that sort of distinction? He should be all about coming in and shooting them in the face regardless of what sort of damage they deal. Riot could have opted to change True Grit so that it only stacks when dashing towards enemy champions. Frankly, that's a more interesting change to me if they're hellbent on trimming power off True Grit.
i agree with what you mean, and this applies to buffs too. lux buff might make her more feast or famine and snowbally and if they end up balancing around that then that would be a shame

in this case tho, i think they're trying to carve him a niche for him that he really doesn't have, or a weakness or whatever

zkylon

zkylewd
cj2hYNw.png

galio ult is the best, i kept confusing it with freaking redemption but when it saves you it's amazing

Tizoc

I've been thinking about Supp Zyra for Ranked and I plan on getting these items as core during my matches
Liandry+Rylai+AP Sightstone item+M. Pen boots.

In the game I linked to above, we got in a team fight where we took the mid inhib. but we get taken out by the opposition. I was being chased by the enemy Ashe and while my abilities slowed her down a bit, she eventually caught up to me and I got KOed. I had bought the AP Sightstone item which means I obv. didn't have the slow ghosts. If I had it, I would've at least managed to survive that one encounter, which isn't THAT big an issue since we were ahead but...

This got me to wondering- If I go with the main core build I mentioned above, I'd have 2 spaces for def. support items.
If I instead go-
Slow Ghosts+Liandry+Rylai+M. Pen Boots+Sightstone
I'd be left with one item slot left which I could put towards either a def. support item or an offensive AP item like say Morello.

Which would you say is the better approach? Go offensive, or be balanced?

Leezard

I've been thinking about Supp Zyra for Ranked and I plan on getting these items as core during my matches
Liandry+Rylai+AP Sightstone item+M. Pen boots.

In the game I linked to above, we got in a team fight where we took the mid inhib. but we get taken out by the opposition. I was being chased by the enemy Ashe and while my abilities slowed her down a bit, she eventually caught up to me and I got KOed. I had bought the AP Sightstone item which means I obv. didn't have the slow ghosts. If I had it, I would've at least managed to survive that one encounter, which isn't THAT big an issue since we were ahead but...

This got me to wondering- If I go with the main core build I mentioned above, I'd have 2 spaces for def. support items.
If I instead go-
Slow Ghosts+Liandry+Rylai+M. Pen Boots+Sightstone
I'd be left with one item slot left which I could put towards either a def. support item or an offensive AP item like say Morello.

Which would you say is the better approach? Go offensive, or be balanced?
I don't think spooky ghosts are worth it on pretty much anyone right now. It's too expensive and means that you'll have 4 wards in your sightstone way later.

Tizoc

Kinda odd that I am unable to find matches as Supp in SR normals on EUNE.
Used to be one could get it instant >_>

Goddamn that Alistar buffs

now I know who to buy next

Don't buy him right away. There used to be a deal where if you follow one of Riot's social media accounts you get a free alistar skin, which also gives you the champion. I don't know if that was region locked or not, but you should look into that first before you spend the IP.

Quick edit: For the record, it was Unchained Alistar in case that helps your search.

Anne

The Ali thing was for linking and followign the YT account btw. You can just message Riot support and you can usually get it.

faridmon

Don't buy him right away. There used to be a deal where if you follow one of Riot's social media accounts you get a free alistar skin, which also gives you the champion. I don't know if that was region locked or not, but you should look into that first before you spend the IP.

Quick edit: For the record, it was Unchained Alistar in case that helps your search.

The Ali thing was for linking and followign the YT account btw. You can just message Riot support and you can usually get it.

Ok, thanks, will try get him that way

Ali getting a decent buff to his pulverize cooldown and a nice buff to passive where it heals everyone nearby instead of just one other person. It'll probably be a nice sustain buff for when your team groups up, but I don't think either buff will have a huge effect on laning phase. You're generally not headbutt pulverizing in lane on cooldown.

faridmon

Ali getting a decent buff to his pulverize cooldown and a nice buff to passive where it heals everyone nearby instead of just one other person. It'll probably be a nice sustain buff for when your team groups up, but I don't think either buff will have a huge effect on laning phase. You're generally not headbutt pulverizing in lane on cooldown.

Looks like he is getting some increase in dmg no?

I never played him, so I don't know how much this will improve him, but the numbers looked solid

12 games in a row. won 2 ...fuck.

Not to be happy about your misery, but I am happy that I am not the only person who have bad streak

20 games only won 5

I never played him, so I don't know how much this will improve him, but the numbers looked solid

Not to be happy about your misery, but I am happy that I am not the only person who have bad streak

20 games only won 5

If I read the change right, the damage boost is to the AA-based stun he has when trample stacks up on someone. At level 18 it's an extra 90 magic damage. It's nice but it won't really be a major buff. The biggest buff is probably that Triumphant Roar heals everyone instead of just one person now because it means in situations where you're clearing lots of minions with your team (siege or counter siege) you can help keep the whole team a little bit more topped off. The CD buff is nice, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference in lane either.

For anyone who hasn't seen the change:

Current PBE Changes
Alistar
  • Triumphant Roar (Passive) now heals ALL nearby allied champions instead of only one.
  • Trample (E):
    • Cooldown lowered from 16/15.5/15/14.5/14 to 12/11.5/11/10.5/10
    • Additional Damage based on Level increased from [40+ 10 per level] to [40+15 per level]

TheFlow

Banned

20 games only won 5

damn son

72 games with ap koggy. Like a 48% win rate. Like 113-135 ranked record. Ap kog can work, it's just you need a team to stall long enuff. With vel I can wreck things early and have a bigger impact. My last 20 or so games, a bunch were vel, I was in the damn zone.
https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Beastrage+

Idk what it was. Think it might've been a list someone put me on, env? Idk. Them vel games were great though. Especially the ones where I went full pen runes and rushed sorc shoes/guise.

Started having fun ingame as well. Calling myself God'koz. And typing things like ""Praise your tentacled lord and I shall show mercy" and "GOD'KOZ" in all chat after killing someone. Or wrecking a teamfight.

Most fun I've had with league in a while.

I wonder how hard it would be to have the option to see 'Damage Dealt in last team fight' in the spectator client. It probably depends on if production for the LCS has a program that just gets like 'damage done by champion from X to Y' or if it tries to automatically determine whether a team fight happened.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Why did you keep playing!!!!
Saw you go into a ranked game immediately after that game we had with Dobe and knew what was coming
Well at least 5 of those games were with you when I was actually playing well and then of course once I go solo I start playing like crap :(((((

But yes that very last game that actually pushed me back into g5 was a terrible idea lol

JulianImp

If you have a 3 game lose streak, it's probably time to step out of ranked because you're probably tilted.

This so much. My rule of thumb is playing no more than two ranked games per day, because I'd rather be fresh than risk falling to the gambler's fallacy of thinking "I've already won/lost X consecutive games, surely I'll win the next one!".

Plus, I'd rather not end up devoting more than an hour or two to the game since I work freelance, so more league time means better numbers on my user profile at the expense of worse numbers on my bank account. Less tilting for more money is win-win, anyway.

Top Bottom